Patron coffers should always be available

Dragavon

Then someone that missed out on buying them could save up and buy the tier they want when they can afford it.

I really not see any reason why not.

Upvote 3

PurpleSerpent

Monster Hunter of Moderate Renown
Then someone that missed out on buying them could save up and buy the tier they want when they can afford it.

I mean, to be honest, the fact that SSG have only released two Coffers so far and they've already brought the first one back for a limited time is kind of an indicator that fear of missing out wasn't really driving the sales of these as much as they might have expected, so this would make sense.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
FOMO says you should buy double bonus points right now because they could bring the patrons stuff back for a week right after the point sale goes away and you'll have to pay full price for points then...

Dude

FOMO says you should buy double bonus points right now because they could bring the patrons stuff back for a week right after the point sale goes away and you'll have to pay full price for points then...
Is that FOMO or just being smart about not spending more money than necessary?

kmoustakas

Scourge of Xaos

It creates a fake 'shortage' to increase the demand this way.

What I mean. If coffers is available only in one specific month, that month will see a huge spike in $$$ generated for SSG and look good in $ reports. If it is always available, the profits are spread over a wider time making it less visible (wrong word). This way, you make one coffer a year a specific month you want to 'spike' your revenue.

Also, if it's only available once, you incentivise people to buy the NEXT version of coffers instead of choosing between all the different ones available to them making customers more likely to buy more than one or even all of them.

It's basic aggresive marketing 101.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Is that FOMO or just being smart about not spending more money than necessary?
A bit of both. It's fear that if you don't buy those points on sale, you'll have to spend later; even when you have no clue if there will be something you actually want to spend those points on.

Dude

A bit of both. It's fear that if you don't buy those points on sale, you'll have to spend later; even when you have no clue if there will be something you actually want to spend those points on.
For me, FOMO would be buying a full price item with full price points because I think the item might not come back.

Drunken.dx

whoever makes these poor decisions in SSG has literally tunnel vision when it comes to marketing, focusing on one tactic while ignoring other tactics which have shown in various other games to be QUITE profitable..

it's actually sad to see SSG ignores opportunities for making actual profit because one person has no clue how to do their job...

rabidfox

The People's Champion
For me, FOMO would be buying a full price item with full price points because I think the item might not come back.
Or you fear paying full price for the patron (or know you can't afford full price) so you buy double points, then patron doesn't show up for sale, so you nickel & dime those points away on other stuff that you otherwise wouldn't have bought. I assume there's all sorts of psychological choices behind the various sales models they use.