Why do you have Next/Previous Target in Key Mapping?

Visik

When changes made to them aren't saved?
(Note: The actual Key Mapping labels are: "Select Next Combat Target" and "Select Previous Combat Target.")

Rangers with Improved Precise Shot and Casters with line-type spells both want to target the furthest enemy, in order to control better the direction the projectile or spell goes and maximize the number of intervening enemies they hit. Simply remapping <Tab> to "Previous Enemy" instead of "Next Enemy" is ideal for this purpose. In fact, "Next Enemy" is all but worthless, comparatively. Only time I can recall really needing that was as a ranged toon with PS but not yet IPS, to kill the closest mobs first.

If I go into Key Mapping, and clear both the entries for Next Target and Previous Target, then switch them (<Tab> for Previous Target; <Ctrl><Tab> for Next Target), it retains that mapping through logging out and back in, but it discards it on Exit. If these are meant to be unchangeable, I can see putting them in Key Mapping (as a lookup function for someone who doesn't know what keys have what effects), but they should be locked and unchangeable.. or a warning should be generated. If the intent isn't to make them unchangeable, it'd be nice if the changes would stick.

I've had a fair amount of frustration over this, recently.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Visik

I neglected to point out: There IS no key mapping option for "Select Furthest Combat Target" or I'd spam that one, instead.

droid327

Yeah the tab target cycling is pretty worthless, especially when you're trying to tab back through a mob pack as they're all circling around

Its especially noticeable when you're trying to pick out a Reaper or something in a pack, and you tab past them, then you try to go back but you just target something else instead

Another annoyance with the targeting is the 'key delay' for next target, before it breaks the sequence and just resets back to Nearest Target when you hit tab again. Its too fast to be able to pay attention to what you've targeted each time, so you're forced to overshoot, and then you cant cycle back

Misadventure

Killing everybody on Hardcore with pleasure.
Its designed when individual mobs were around, but devs nowadays like to have a ton of mobs gang banging you which dosent make sense, why would there be 10 to 15 mobs standing there (looking at you toee and slaver) waiting for you to come.

Visik

It's funny to me that the game has mapping for every single slot on every single shortcut bar.. but no mapping option for 'Select Furthest Combat Target'.

And having mappings that don't save is almost worse.