PDA

View Full Version : The Black Speech

Mr_Ed7
12-08-2010, 07:53 AM
I have been using Tolkein's Black Speech to add flavor to the guilds.

It is the "evil" language of the orcs, so it does much to add to the themes.

Below is one of two phrases that the entire language is based on, you may know it.

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them,
one ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them

There are several clubs & sites devoted to the language.
The Land of Shadow has been most helpful. http://www.thelandofshadow.com/mordorgate/darkdownloads/blackspeech/speech3.htm

Happy coding!

Consumer
12-08-2010, 01:14 PM
The problem I see with these "languages" is that Tolkien only made a limited amount of names, words and combinations of words. The same problem exists with Tolkien Elvish, the words have to be made up and are not Tolkiens work. However as the LOTR are my favourite books and films, along with the soundtrack for the films being amazing I enjoy everything about Middle Earth.

The lyrics from Howard Shore's Black Rider for example are not only incredibly powerful but also relate to the real world.

Nebabitham Maganane
Netabdam daurad
Nepam ned abarat-aglar
ido Nidir nenakham
Bari 'n Katharad

'We deny our maker.
We cling to the darkness.
We grasp for ourselves power and glory.
Now we come, the Nine,
Lords of Eternal Life.'

Mr_Ed7
12-10-2010, 09:41 AM
The problem I see with these "languages" is that Tolkien only made a limited amount of names, words and combinations of words. The same problem exists with Tolkien Elvish, the words have to be made up and are not Tolkiens work. However as the LOTR are my favourite books and films, along with the soundtrack for the films being amazing I enjoy everything about Middle Earth.

The lyrics from Howard Shore's Black Rider for example are not only incredibly powerful but also relate to the real world.

Nebabitham Maganane
Netabdam daurad
Nepam ned abarat-aglar
ido Nidir nenakham
Bari 'n Katharad

'We deny our maker.
We cling to the darkness.
We grasp for ourselves power and glory.
Now we come, the Nine,
Lords of Eternal Life.'

I can understand you sentiments towards the expanding of The Speech as it is not canon, but unless Chris Tolkein comes out with an estate approved Black Speech Dictionary, it will have to do. It does add flavor to a character and guild though!

As far as the above song is concerned, it is not The Black Speech is it? Is that perhaps the Dwarvish tongue?

Mr_Ed7
12-10-2010, 10:01 AM
The other phrase in which the langage of The Black Speech is based is as follows:

Uglúk u bagronk sha pushdug Saruman-glob búbhosh skai!

Uglúk to the cesspool, sha! the dungfilth; the great Saruman-fool, skai!

The alternative translation is:

Uglúk to the dung-pit with stinking Saruman-filth, pig-guts, gah!

Consumer
12-10-2010, 10:09 AM
As far as the above song is concerned, it is not The Black Speech is it? Is that perhaps the Dwarvish tongue?

It is the language of Adûnaic which is - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad%C3%BBnaic

Soundtrack translations e.c.t. found here - http://www.elvish.org/gwaith/movie_soundtrack.htm

Mr_Ed7
12-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Thank-you Consumer for adding to the discussion, very interesting!