Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

So I have a solid system down for collecting trap parts. 2-Man with a wiz, go into Ruined halls (Elec), Swiped Signet (Acid) and Hidden Chapel (Acid, Fire). Have the wiz kill everything as you disable, ddoor out, break group, rinse and repeat.

The need for a material component as annoying to get as a soul stone makes the system harder to use, but on Khyber I am going to use my Wiz to keep the AH stocked with cheap strong essences.
    <<---Druesis~Veltyn~Caliban~Stonefury~Scofield~Blacksyn der~Tiktock --->>
    Fallen Heros - Kyber
    It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. - Voltaire

Community Member

A nice quick 1 minute run for acid and mechanical parts is to step into HIPS. 2 trap boxes with only 1 very easy fight (even on elite).

So.......on my completionist build.......I can stock pile all the stuff for stones, level up rogue, respec at 20 for mechanic and build a pile of mines and gernades. Can I use them in non rogue or 1 rogue level splashes. Is there min levels .....

Can I take on a future level 8 pure fighter and place a couple of the grand daddy electrical traps and blow up the end fight in stormcleave as an example?

Guess work is helpfull.

Can I craft them than trade them to a fs alt to use? Need trapsmitting to plant crafted mines or tyrowcrafted gernades? Bound to character, account? Stack how deap, 100, 1000?
    Varr's all over. Cannith Varr getting the love currently.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Varr View Post
    Can I use them in non rogue or 1 rogue level splashes. Is there min levels .....
    Rogue automatically gets trap making feat at level 4. Another way is to take the feat, the prereq requires one of the following:
    Lesser Dragonmark of making
    SF: Disable Device
    Nimble Fingers

TY, my questions are not about making the traps. Between sorc and rogue lives I can easily make a 1000 if I want. My question is about using them.

If your a rogue, make a 1000 top tier traps at level 20, true res to say monk. Can you blow up water works at level two monk with top tier traps or gernades?

Community Member

TY, my questions are not about making the traps. Between sorc and rogue lives I can easily make a 1000 if I want. My question is about using them.

If your a rogue, make a 1000 top tier traps at level 20, true res to say monk. Can you blow up water works at level two monk with top tier traps or gernades?
    Well, I haven't tested it but, you need the trapmaking feat to use traps (i can't speak for grenades, also they have a ML starting at lvl3 for weakest traps), and for the trapmaking feat you need to be either...

1. Human with lesser mark of making (lvl6 min).
    2. Level 4 Rogue.
    3. Level 1 rogue with either SF: disable or nimble fingers.

I may have missed something, but at the moment it looks like this is the only way (but the human + DM looks odd).

Thanks, I would never waste feats or 4 levels on non rogue lives for teapsmitting.....sotrap setting is out it sounds like. Gernades still needs to be confirmed to throw looks like. Min level on other tiers of gernades available? Mist importantly the most powerful type....no reason to craft and rat hole any but the most powerful.

Community Member

Thanks, I would never waste feats or 4 levels on non rogue lives for teapsmitting.....sotrap setting is out it sounds like. Gernades still needs to be confirmed to throw looks like. Min level on other tiers of gernades available? Mist importantly the most powerful type....no reason to craft and rat hole any but the most powerful.
    Just tested grenades (weakest variety) - they have ML:1, and RR:Rogue (UMD:12). They have a 2d6 payload... doesn't seem worth the effort to be honest. I guess a rogue splash will be fine to use any grenades. Overall it looks like the Devs aren't giving much away here, shame really.

Thanks for the guide +1

I have a sorc and have been making soul stones for guildies...and have really noticed how expensive it is to get the shards for the soulstones. My question is this.....are the traps worth the plat it costs to make them? My cost on a Strong Soulstone (Average Shard) is is a little over 1100 plat buying the tiny shards from the PH. With the other items factored in, whether bought or grinded for, is it worth it?

Community Member

Default Not worth shard cost to buy

Just have your guildies and friends mail you whatever dragonshards they find. It works well enough.

#################################
    As of the time of this edit - 23/7/10 - Unholy parts do not "fit" into the crafting stations. Hence, you can't actually make anything out of these.
    #################################

For those hunting the unholy parts, they're in the quest "The Haunted Library" - House J, quest giver is in the back of the Drowning Sorrows tavern, quest is on the far side of the pond, at the end of the bridge.
    Do the top floor stuff, and head west to the optionals once the floor drops out of the room with all the archers in it. Nothing below starts moving until you drop far enough, and it's all pointed quite nicely away from the door to start with. Just FF to the door and click it, then stealth and nothing will spot you. Trap is at the end of that hallway just before the shrine.

My current loop is - do top floor stuff, including a cold trap.
    Drop down, do unholy.
    Rest at shrine and recall.
    Run over to the door for "Mirra's Sleepless Nights", hop in, and summon a cheap level 1 hireling.
    Pop out and run over to now reset Haunted Library.
    Rinse and repeat.

All this so I can nuke some Eladrin later.
    Last edited by Depravity; 07-23-2010 at 06:41 PM.
    Near useless builds for those who want a challenge: The True(ly Useless) Necromancer - The Abuse Sponge Paladin
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Quote Originally Posted by Akhenahten View Post
    Just have your guildies and friends mail you whatever dragonshards they find. It works well enough.
    Thats what I originally thought, until I started combining, and then really looking at the numbers. I took all the Khyber fragments that all of my characters on Orien have gathered since November. Combined them all, and ended up with less averages than I wouold have thought.

1000 Shards=10 Tiny
    100 Tiny=20 Small
    10 Small=4 Average

or

10,000 Shards=100 Tiny=20 Small=8 Average=40 Traps

or 1 Average=1250 Shards=5 Traps

I have never sold any, and used very few for binding, so I had stacks of them in a mule account's bank. I ended up with alot of tinys, smalls, and averages to play with making soul gems.

Since the damage does not scale proportionately to the expense of the components, are most finding that they are using weaker traps....but more of them, instead of using stronger traps, but fewer?

Hit the scroll sellers and tried out a pile of various scrolls. The ones I got to fit are:
    (* denotes one I've successfully made a trap out of)

cause fear*
    grease*
    hypnotism
    sleep

blind*
    daze monster
    glitterdust
    hypnotic pattern
    otto's resistable dance*
    scare
    touch of idiocy
    web*

deep slumber
    dispel magic
    halt undead
    hold person
    slow

None of the cleric only spells fit, nor did bestow curse or contagion (cleric 3).

Also, bad news - the workstation choked on my pile of unholy trap parts. Looks like no unholy boomies for a while.

Anyone try Rainbow in the Dark to see what type of parts the cube trap drops?
    Last edited by Depravity; 07-19-2010 at 07:55 PM.
    Near useless builds for those who want a challenge: The True(ly Useless) Necromancer - The Abuse Sponge Paladin
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Community Member

Default Unadorned vials

I have all teh mats but the vials to make some deadly grenades, but the FA vendor in harbor doesn't show unadorned vials for my level 10 guy. Level restricted or is someone else selling them?

Quote Originally Posted by Akhenahten View Post
    I have all teh mats but the vials to make some deadly grenades, but the FA vendor in harbor doesn't show unadorned vials for my level 10 guy. Level restricted or is someone else selling them?
    You need the second tier (150) of free agents favor.
    Sands of Menechtuaran (sp?) and Twilight Forge story arcs are both heavy on free agents favor if you need to farm some up.

The vials are also not bound to character/account, so you can get somebody else to buy them for you. I've only passed through shared bank, so I can't vouch for mailability.

Community Member

Thanks much, perhaps something for the guide then? My level 10 will start on sands this week so I should get the favor soon.

Some grenadey goodness, via quick and dirty cut and paste:

UMD pretty clearly follows (10+dice dealt) for scores. No idea what the min level of the strong grenades is going to be, but it looks like a doubling sequence, so I'd guess 8.

I've seen all the trap parts up on the auction house, and I tested vials:

Had some strangenesses with placing in gwylan's:
    Linked due to larger image size
    The two traps hanging off the edge of the cliff were placed in the same neighborhood as the one to the right, they just sort of teleported off into space. Haven't tried it again.

The deadly electrical grenades were farmed off to a guildy's clogue, who redid enhancements for heavy scroll and wand mastery. There was no damage increase, and one target was hit for 32 damage, so we're not getting magic dice (3+1d3) either.

Default Magic Trap Parts

Myself, I like to run Redfang's Unruled in the market for magic trap parts. The poison trap room has 4(?) trap boxes that all give up magic parts. Also found in quest are several mechanical and fire traps. Not very high level, but easily solo'd for short time turnarounds on specific trap parts.

So... can you lay multiple minea t once?
    Ghinsuu, Spikey, Preying, , Pyroclastic
    Khyber, Jesters Court

***Your Vip Account Has Been Cancelled***

Quote Originally Posted by The_Phenx View Post
    So... can you lay multiple minea t once?
    Yes.
    Good excuse to go test things, anyway.
    Mines are a short action bar (like DD or OL, but three seconds long) to plant, 15 second cooldown starting when the ability is clicked. Interrupting does not cancel the cooldown. They go 'active' about 2 seconds after planting, or 5 seconds after the ability is invoked.
    They have a lifespan of about 2.5 minutes, after which you'll hear another click and the light will go out, leaving an inert object on the ground.

I planted 10 in a row to test for a maximum number. Just plant, move, wait for cooldown, repeat. Number 1 went inactive when I planted number 10. The rest showed as active, but I had nothing nearby to run into them to test.

This sort of messes w/ my shroud plans of dropping many (electrical, deadly) mines right where Harry lands, as the devil clearing beforehand is not that long a fight.
    Last edited by Depravity; 07-25-2010 at 07:16 PM.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast