Default Dungeon alert does what on red alert?

So I've been playing duo with a guildy most of this life and yesterday we hit orchard stuff. Neither of us are casters, but we both like to run things fast so we were getting some nasty red alert in inferno and flesh makers.

Funny thing is that when we hit red names (fire elementals in inferno and golem assemblers/enchanters in flesh makers) they seemed to stop taking pretty much any damage from my toon.

I am playing a monk archer type build. With my lightning 2 weapon there appeared to be zero extra damage dice coming up. No good damage, no electric damage, no sonic damage (windhowler bracers)...not them being listed as zero or immune when I hit the mob, but just plain nothing coming up for them. Moment alert drops to orange mobs get devasted by us in a few seconds max...

I guess I never really looked at red alert on boss mobs closely before as they generally got destroyed by casters in half a second in those cases, but I certainly never recall seeing this before.

Is this normal? Is this new? Is this special to some areas of the game?
    Proud Recipient of At least 8 Negative Rep From NA Threads.
    Main: Sharess
    Alts: Avaril/Cyr/Cyrillia/Garagos/Inim/Lamasa/Ravella

Community Member

It's not new. Red alert just sends named monster AC into the stratosphere. Yes, it's incredibly annoying (for a melee class).

In your case, you were probably just seeing grazing hit damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeruell View Post
    It's not new. Red alert just sends named monster AC into the stratosphere. Yes, it's incredibly annoying.
    No it was not the grazing hits part. I noticed those also, but it was on actual hits.
    Proud Recipient of At least 8 Negative Rep From NA Threads.
    Main: Sharess
    Alts: Avaril/Cyr/Cyrillia/Garagos/Inim/Lamasa/Ravella

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyr View Post
    No it was not the grazing hits part. I noticed those also, but it was on actual hits.
    I see. That's...odd, then.

The whole "not getting weapon procs" has all the hallmarks of grazing hits, but if they were actual successes against the enhanced AC, that would suggest some form of proc nullification, which (as far as I'm aware) only occurs with Disjunction, which is not present in those quests. Anything else will at least trip an "Immune" flag...

Were you getting your full non-proc-effect damage on the actual hits that you noted (i.e. strength bonus, other bonuses)?
    Last edited by Zeruell; 06-06-2012 at 01:13 PM.

I was experiencing similar results in Spinner of Shadows Elite against the Drider when on my Artificer.

When shooting the Drider I would get yellow numbers for my primary damage, but no secondary numbers (immune, 0, or otherwise) when she was vulnerable.

If I remember correctly,

Red Alert:

- Produces the Tier III Slow effect on anyone that is attacked by a mob (this isn't what you're asking)
    - It buffs any Red Named/Purple Named with currently unknown levels of buffs; most noticeably movement speed, saves and AC (this is what you're asking about)

* Mobs are not affected by the Red Named/Purple Named buffs, but will slow you down.

In any event, even if you have enough to-hit to hit a Red Alerted boss, all hits are now considered normal hits only, all secondary effects are ignored assuming you manage to land a hit. Hence, even when you were hitting without issues, you will only see base primary damage numbers.

All the secondary effects (weapon proc's and other effects) were ignored (assume immune on the boss); during these times the best thing to do is to clear the mobs, or to have a caster with you to DoT the boss down. No other option is really available to you.

J1NG
    Thelanis: Yijing (*Completionist* TR 20 Aasimar Scourge Monk Level 20 / Epic Level 10)
    Thelanis: Pocket-Monks: Sightblur, Peashoote, Jigglypath, Jedinja.
    Invisible Fences, unkillable Target Practice Dummy's, Shared Bank's, Pale Lavender Ioun Stones, the dimensional barrier between Eberron and Shavarath, I've broken them all...

Community Member

Long before dungeon alert we could zerg anything, then came f2p and all the newbs cry about vets running through things fast and here we are now. Dungeon alert is the dumbest idea yet.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

I like the Dungeon Alert, actually. It gives the game a good challenge.
    "You are a Tiefling. And a Cleric, with the Domain of the Sun. Doesn't that contradict each other ?" "No, all my friends are playing evil. I found that so boring that I decided to be on the good side. And, besides, Sun and Fire, where is the difference, really ?"

Quote Originally Posted by Sagittis View Post
    Long before dungeon alert we could zerg anything, then came f2p and all the newbs cry about vets running through things fast and here we are now. Dungeon alert is the dumbest idea yet.
    Except that DA was not implemented because of f2p, newbs or crys against zergers. It was implemented because it was suppose to cure LAG.

In fact DA and f2p both came about roughly at the same time in the Fall of 2009

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post
    I like the Dungeon Alert, actually. It gives the game a good challenge.
    While it can certainly add an additional challenge factor in certain situations, I would refrain from calling it a good challenge, and this thread highlights just one of the reasons why.

Melee/ranged-weapon classes are forever and always subject to a contest of to-hit vs. armor class. Dungeon/Boss Alert skyrockets enemy AC, which in cases like this can result in a chicken-and-egg problem of how to get rid of the alert.
    "I need to be able to hit and kill some mobs, in order to lower the alert status so I can...hit and kill the mobs."

A caster? Throw a few AoEs, focus DoTs on the tougher targets, and voila -- no more dungeon alert.

Given that dungeon alert was implemented to discourage rampant zerging (arguably facilitated by caster abilities more so than any others)...you can see the quandary, yes?

Even if it has been determined by the powers-that-be that Dungeon Alert is helping the game from a physical resource management standpoint, it's still in need of some adjustment, despite the non-stop per-quest tweaking that it has undergone since its introduction.
    Last edited by Zeruell; 06-07-2012 at 02:41 AM.

Remember that time that Dungeon Alert was going to fix lag? Holy cow, that was a good one. Hilar!

It's also incredibly amazing in Bastion when you can be in a completely empty room, but the mobs above can see through the floor and trigger Red Alert. So much fun!
    Awnoo . Mayonnaise . Cellebrian . Gawnaball . Gawna . Gawnaderp .
    Gawnasorc . Mamadapolis . Gawnahjeal . Winnar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladiun View Post
    Gawno is excrement; Gawna is excellent.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Remember that time that Dungeon Alert was going to fix lag? Holy cow, that was a good one. Hilar!
    Correction: Remember that time that Dungeon Alert was going to fix ONE SOURCE of lag? Holy cow, it worked!