Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

problem is it's a cloak . .. and if we need to move to a two-handed necro stick cloak is the only body slot for a +5 Enchant DC item.

Hero
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    problem is it's a cloak . .. and if we need to move to a two-handed necro stick cloak is the only body slot for a +5 Enchant DC item.
    That is why I was debating either dropping the +1 bonus to DC from the two hander.. and run two +6 DC caster sticks.

Or, build 2 q-staffs, one with +6 necro and +1 unique DC boost and the other with Enchantment. Then I would need to setup a simple macro (anyone with a gaming keyboard, game pad or programmable mouse could do the same), to swap to the Enchantment q-staff when every I used a Enchant spell (mass hold monster/person, Mind fog/crushing Despair and Otto's disco ball are the only DC based enchant spells I use at cap), and then swap back to the necro staff afterwards.

It would work very similar to how I swap to the Epic Bladeforged Docet for a trip, and then back to black dragon scale after.

Need to do some testing to see how reliable it is and ensure it doesn't cause too much lag.

The cloak looks almost too good to pass up -- I'll run the numbers later today and see how much of a difference it really makes.
    Last edited by Andoris; 02-12-2014 at 10:34 AM.

Hero
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Andoris View Post

The cloak looks almost too good to pass up -- I'll run the numbers later today and see how much of a difference it really makes.
    Calibrated my math models to ensure they matched in game results and came up with the below calcuations.

NEB and Death Aura without Nihil potion (I almost always forget to drink them) and without the cloak, assume 341 neg spell power (566 for NEB due to metamagics) and a 28% critical chance: NEB Avg: 250 without crits factored in and 390 when you factor in critical hits, DA Avg: 77 without crits factored in and 119 when you factor in critical hits.

NEB and DA with Nihil potion (25 sp) and without cloak: NEB 260/405, DA 81/126

NEB and DA with Cloak: NEB 288/449 avg, DA 90/140.

So the Cloak is a 15-17% increase in healing over the non-pot drinker and a 11% increase over the person that is always chugging spell power pots.

This puts the cloak into the "win" category for me

*I know I am missing something in the calculation as the math showed NEB hitting for an average of 273 with 589 neg spell power (meta's on) and a 35% critical chance -- real in game testing and that was with 559 spell power and only 28% critical chance had NEB hitting for an average of 282.2. Can't figure out what I am missing, but actual in game numbers will likely be a bit higher -- this analysis should work for comparison purposes though.
    Last edited by Andoris; 02-22-2014 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Corrected math models to ensure they matched in game testing

Or, build 2 q-staffs, one with +6 necro and +1 unique DC boost and the other with Enchantment. Then I would need to setup a simple macro (anyone with a gaming keyboard, game pad or programmable mouse could do the same), to swap to the Enchantment q-staff when every I used a Enchant spell (mass hold monster/person, Mind fog/crushing Despair and Otto's disco ball are the only DC based enchant spells I use at cap), and then swap back to the necro staff afterwards.
    I have a gaming pad. I have never used a macro's let alone with the game.

Can you explain their use, or at the least point me in a good reading direction?
    Panzermeyer - Huge Terry Brooks Shannara Fan

Main
    Jelara Shannara - Dragonborn Caster/Intim/Tank Druid (TR XXI - Barb x3, Drd x3, FvS x3, Pal x3, Rgr x1, Rog x2, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR XXXI - Epic Completionist - ItR III - PDK x3)
    Alts
    DamsonRhee Shannara - PDK Swashbuckler
    Challenge Farmer
    Eritria Shannara - Human Swashbuckler
    (TR VII - Ftr x3, Sorc x1, Wiz x3 EtR - Prim x1)
    Kirisin Shannara - Sun Elf Enlightend Spirit Warlock Tank (TR XIV - Barb x1, Bard x1, Clc x3, Fvs x3, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR XII - Epic Completionist- ItR - MLE x3)
    RueMeridian - Warforged Artificer (TR II - Arti x1, Wiz x1 - EtR II - Primal x1, Div x1)

Hero
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Panzermeyer View Post
    I have a gaming pad. I have never used a macro's let alone with the game.

Can you explain their use, or at the least point me in a good reading direction?
    Personally I use a Logitech G13, it comes with software that allows you to set a series of commands and bind them all to one key. So you setup a single key press to execute the following commands: Equip item, cast spell, equip other item. Tricky part is setting the timings in between presses as low as you can, while still having it work every time. Follow the link to a tutorial on the Logitech site -- if you are using a different product, I am sure there is a tutorial on their site as well.

Personally I use a Logitech G13, it comes with software that allows you to set a series of commands and bind them all to one key. So you setup a single key press to execute the following commands: Equip item, cast spell, equip other item. Tricky part is setting the timings in between presses as low as you can, while still having it work every time. Follow the link to a tutorial on the Logitech site -- if you are using a different product, I am sure there is a tutorial on their site as well.
    I have got the Razer Naga and Nostromo. I will have to look into what they have available to do things like this.

Main
    Jelara Shannara - Dragonborn Caster/Intim/Tank Druid (TR XXI - Barb x3, Drd x3, FvS x3, Pal x3, Rgr x1, Rog x2, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR XXXI - Epic Completionist - ItR III - PDK x3)
    Alts
    Challenge Farmer
    Kirisin Shannara - Sun Elf Enlightend Spirit Warlock Tank (TR XIV - Barb x1, Bard x1, Clc x3, Fvs x3, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR XII - Epic Completionist- ItR - MLE x3)
    RueMeridian - Warforged Artificer (TR II - Arti x1, Wiz x1 - EtR II - Primal x1, Div x1)

2014 DDO Players Council

Max [Sustainable] Spell Penetration breakdown
    <snip>
    Spell Pen: 61 (20 base + 5 epic destiny + 3 Arcanum [elf only] +3 Archmage Spell Pen + 2 Spell Pen Feat +2 Greater Spell Pen +4 Epic Spell Pen +3 Magister Piercing +3 Draconic Piercing +2 Echo's of the Magister +6 Wiz PLx3 +3 Fvs PLx3 +3 Spell pen item +2 Arcane Augmentation)
    FYI, Sage's Cuffs have Spell Pen IV on them, so you can add 1 more to the max.

Hero
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    FYI, Sage's Cuffs have Spell Pen IV on them, so you can add 1 more to the max.
    Great catch! Updated, Thank you!

3 Arcanum [elf only]
    This may confuse people; Morninglords also get Arcanum, and is (a very teeny tiny) part of why Morninglord is best for pale masters given a +1 LR.

Hero
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    This may confuse people; Morninglords also get Arcanum, and is (a very teeny tiny) part of why Morninglord is best for pale masters given a +1 LR.
    Well officially Morninglords are Sun Elves

But for the sake of clarity -- updated

I'm counting a +5(!) boost to Necro DCs in U21 right now, with Necro Focus 6 on one caster stick, Wyrmic Potency on the other stick, +1 from the robe, and +1 available with epic completionist.

U21 is looking like Christmas in February.
    Member of Storm Lords on Thelanis.
    Portalcat (Completionist, Epic Completionist), Catwithnuke, Catwithaxe

Hero
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Portalcat View Post
    I'm counting a +5(!) boost to Necro DCs in U21 right now, with Necro Focus 6 on one caster stick, Wyrmic Potency on the other stick, +1 from the robe, and +1 available with epic completionist.

U21 is looking like Christmas in February.
    I would be careful on how soon you celebrate -- we haven't seen how high they have inflated the mob's saves yet. Getting a +5 to DC's mean nothing, if the saves go up by 10.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Well officially Morninglords are Sun Elves
    And drow are dark elves, but they don't get Arcanum nor access to the AA tree.

"Elves get the bow; drow get the shaft."
    Retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

I would be careful on how soon you celebrate -- we haven't seen how high they have inflated the mob's saves yet. Getting a +5 to DC's mean nothing, if the saves go up by 10.
    They nerfed quivering palm with the specific explanation that it came after an investigation into the DCs on death effects, and the content will be at the current level cap.

I'm not saying it's impossible that they'll raise mob saves to match, but it would be bizarre given the context.
    Member of Storm Lords on Thelanis.
    Portalcat (Completionist, Epic Completionist), Catwithnuke, Catwithaxe

Hero
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    And drow are dark elves, but they don't get Arcanum nor access to the AA tree.

"Elves get the bow; drow get the shaft."
    But Drow are not "Tel’Quessir" (Elven word for all Elves and doesn't include drow -- translated "of the people"). Guess I am showing my geekyness a bit too much now. Either way -- its updated.

Hero
    2014 DDO Players Council

Default Planning a bunch of ETR's

So, planning on embarking on a bunch of ETR's -- Kind of bored with my other toons atm and the extra twist slot will allow me to have -1 DC from max, be in Draconic, and twist in Sense Weakness.

No clue if I will ever actually get to Epic Completionist, but hey -- what else is there to do these days?

I plan on using Shadowdancer to level through the martial tree, Unyielding or Divine Crusader (if it is out) for Divine trees, and then TRing into a Melee Vampire Divine Disciple Flavor build (build to be posted soon) for the Primal tree (Fury) -- (I really don't want to sully his hands with Shiradi, would prefer to level a flavor build to 28 three times instead ).

Here is my level 21 and 25 gear sets -- it should cover me from 20-28.. Note, this is not the most powerful gearset at each level, but was designed to reduce gear and augment swapping as I go through multiple ETR's.

If you see any improvements or have any questions, let me know.

Level 21:

Trinket: Litany (alchemical resistance ritual)
    Head: Shade's Hood (Green: Good luck Colorless: Masters Gift)
    Neck: GS Necklace Pos/Neg/Water +10 hp, +1250 sp +2 con +4 int + 6 wis skills, Wisdom +6
    Goggles: Conjuration Focus +2 of Heavy Fort (LGA: 80 SP) -- Web
    Bracers: Demon Consort -- Could epic for the extra two slots (Vitality and +1 conj focus), but only have one base item.. so for the time being this is the lvl 11 version
    Body: Shroud of the Abbot
    Cloak: Elite Sages Mantle
    Ring: ToD +2 ins int, +1 exc int
    Ring: Guardian’s Ring (yellow: 150 spell points)
    Boots: Rock Boots (Yellow: +1 enchant dc, Colorless: +13 Spellcraft)
    Gloves: Elite Master Illusionist (Yellow: +1 Necro DC)
    Belt: Health +6 of GFL (Colorless: Vitality 20)
    Hand: Staff of Necromancy

Level 26:

Trinket: Litany (alchemical resistance ritual)
    Head: Shade's Hood (Green: Good luck; Colorless: Masters Gift)
    Neck: GS Necklace Pos/Neg/Water +10 hp, +1250 sp +2 con +4 int + 6 wis skills, Wisdom +6
    Goggles: Field Optics +3 ins Int (Green: Heavy Fort; Yellow: +1 exc Int)
    Bracers: Health +8, Dodge 8%
    Body: Shroud of the Abbot
    Cloak: Elite Sages Mantle
    Ring: Ring of Shadows (yellow: Vitality)
    Ring: Guardian’s Ring (yellow: 150 spell points)
    Boots: Spiked Boots (Yellow: +2 enchant dc; Colorless: +13 Spellcraft)
    Gloves: Epic Normal Master Illusionist (Yellow: +2 Necro DC)
    Belt: EE Belt of Seven Ideals (Green: False Life 35; Yellow: Heal +11)
    Hand: +10 Thunder-Forged Quarterstaff, 150 Nullification Spell power, +6 Necro DC, +1 Unique DC (Red: Lightning, Orange: Fire)
    Swap: +10 Thunder-Forged Scepter, 150 Nullification Spell power, +6 Necro DC (Orange: Lightning); +10 Thunder-Forged Orb, 150 Combustion Spell power, +7 Spell Penetration, (Orange: Force)
    Last edited by Andoris; 03-23-2014 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Portalcat View Post
    They nerfed quivering palm with the specific explanation that it came after an investigation into the DCs on death effects, and the content will be at the current level cap.

I'm not saying it's impossible that they'll raise mob saves to match, but it would be bizarre given the context.
    Generally Turbine balanced content in the dumbest way possible so I won't be shocked if they come up with something hare-brained like they did with Armor Class.

Hero
    2014 DDO Players Council

Default Past Life (Epic & Heroic) Discussion

As I am contemplating doing the somewhat insane grind towards epic completionist I figured I would post up my thoughts on Past Lives in general as it was missing from the guide. As always, looking forward to your thoughts and ideas:

Past Lives – Epic and Heroic.

While I highly recommend at least 1 wizard past life, a DC wizard can operate just fine as a 1st life toon. Your DC’s will be a little lower and your spell pen will take a lot more work to deal with EE Drow, otherwise you will be effective. Just remember to max Int and put the rest of the points into con. That being said, there is a lot of benefit you can get from a few past lives.

Heroic past lives of interest:

Wizard – The purchased pl feat give you +1 to all DCs and a nice magic missile clicky. If you are only going to do one TR, this is the past life to get. Additionally, the passive effect is a stacking +2 spell penetration per past life (stacks up to 3). For minimal Past life grinding you really can’t beat 1-3 wizard PL’s

Bard – The purchased feat grants +1 enchantment DC’s which when you are scraping for every DC you can get can be quite useful. The Passive is quite uninteresting, so more than 1 bard life is not really useful.

Favored Soul – This is all about the passive -- +1 stacking spell penetration and +20 spell points per past life is nice. Doing 3 wizard, 1 bard and 3 FvS will really get you everything you need.

Sorcerer / Cleric – These are the last of the “caster past lives” The passive gives you +1 evocation and 20 spell points / +1 conjuration per past life. While for some builds this +3 evo and/or conjuration dc is a must have – it isn't really required.

Completionist – A +2 to all stats means a +1 to all of your DC’s, while I wouldn't advocate that anyone needs to get this, if you are heading down that path already it is worthwhile. Fitting in the feat is a little tricky though, personally I would drop spell pen if you are not running much drow content, or the purchased bard pl feat, as +1 to everything is better than +1 to just enchantment.

Epic past lives of interest

In general all of the epic past lives are pretty meh for a DC caster imo, however; the additional twist slot that epic completionist (3 epic pls in each sphere) adds in U21 is quite interesting. That extra twist allows for you to have max DC’s and twist in Energy Burst if you are Magister, or Sense Weakness if you are in Draconic. While this is by no means required or even recommended, if you are setting down this path there are some interesting extras you can get from epic past lives along the way.

Arcane Sphere - Energy Critical (stacking 3%/6%/9% crit chance) and Arcane Alacrity (3/6/10% spell cooldown) are both good choices. In most cases I would go with Alacrity, however; your red named dps is the weak point in the build – adding extra damage when you use Energy Burst / Dragon’s breath is a nice bonus.

Divine Sphere – Both Brace (+1/+2/+3 saves) and Power over Life and Death (10/20/30 positive and negative spell power) are nice. I would recommend Brace personally (Thanks to SirValentine) over the minor healing boost you will get (see post #245 for details)

Martial Sphere – There is little in this tree that is useful to a DC based wizard. If you are going to epic completionist and need to take something, might as well take fortification (There is some benefit to being at 180% fortification). If you ever think you will melee in the future the double strike ability is not a bad choice.

Primal Sphere – The only ability in this tree that makes any sense is Colors of the Queen (7% chance for random effect every 30/20/10 seconds). The other abilities do nothing for you.

Iconic Past lives: There is nothing here worth taking, unless you are really bored I wouldn't recommend any of them.
    Last edited by Andoris; 02-22-2014 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Edited to reflect change of recommendation

2014 DDO Players Council

Agreed on Alacrity & Colors.

Divine Sphere – Only ability here that I really like is Power over Life and Death (10/20/30 positive and negative spell power). Your self-healing through negative energy is pretty weak, anything that boosts that is a nice win in my book.
    I was thinking more of the increase to saving throws ("Brace"), personally.

Martial Sphere – There is little in this tree that is useful to a DC based wizard. If you are going to epic completionist and need to take something, might as well take fortification (There is some benefit to being at 180% fortification). If you ever think you will melee in the future the double strike ability is not a bad choice.
    Fort's not bad, though I like the skill increase, too.

Primal Sphere – The only ability in this tree that makes any sense is Colors of the Queen (7% chance for random effect every 30/20/10 seconds). The other abilities do nothing for you.
    I agree completely with the Colors, however, considering that Colors will proc and potentially on you because of your death aura, I think for the time being this is a bad idea actually.

I am Grinding out Heroic PL still, but also doing Epic PL. I am currently in a melee bard Heroic life. While in this combat melee focus, I am grinding out my Martial Epic PL's.

I intend on making the Primal sphere the last sphere that I do hoping that by the time I get to it, they will have fixed this bug. But I am not holding my breathe here.

Iconic PL
    Though some of the passive *could* be nice, these seem pretty underwhelming to me to bother to grind out for a DC caster. Just seems like a whole lot of work for very little gain.

Main
    Alts
    Challenge Farmer

Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast