Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by UurlockYgmeov View Post
    what about using Treason?
    Treason is a solid option. It has an inherent expanded threat range, so with swashbuckler stance it would end up as 13-20x3.

Uurlock is about to reincarnate into a PDK version of this. Is TN a must (think you have it for liturgy of the dead).
    True neutral is not necessary. The only restriction is that bards can't be lawful. And yeah, any good alignment takes the penalty from Litany.

Planning on taking a few points and putting into Cormyrean Knight Training (use chr or str whichever is higher).
    You'll already get cha to damage from swashbuckler. Cha to hit really isn't necessary and Cormyrean Knight Training limits you to short swords, which means no Balizarde if you have that option. At the bottom of the OP is a breakdown of to hit using str. When I leveled this build through heroics, I actually started with 12 str, but a difference of 2 attack essentially amounts to nothing at all with the current to hit mechanics. I played every quest in the game, excluding some raids, on an elite streak and never had a problem hitting or killing anything using str to hit. So you can use Cormyrean Knight Training but I personally don't see the point. It costs AP and limits your weapon choice for a benefit that is definitely not needed.

Ring of the Stalker / Ring of Lies for level 15. pretty much standard gear other that that (black dragon leathers or duelists) - MinII helm / ConOp goggles / Smoke bracers.

Blasting Chime useful?
    Those are all solid gear choices. Blasting chime is a decent option. It's a good place to slot sonic spell power and I believe it offers more than what you'd get from lootgen/crafted at those levels. I didn't use the sonic SLAs, I wasn't impressed with them when I tried them out. But the sonic spell power from blasting chime will affect resonant arms and sword dance. They are not affected by spell crit however. Anthem is definitely not needed for heroics. It's not even needed for epics actually.
    Unarmed monk guide with builds|The Arcane Warrior: wiz/fighter hybrids|White Feather Sniper: CC/dps focused deepwood stalker|The Divine Cuisinart: divine crusader tempest|The Count of Monte Cristo: swashbuckler|Hassan's Assassin: dex assassin|Dubbell O'Seven: WF artificer|Santa's Little Slayer: dragonmarked elf centered kensai

Quote Originally Posted by CThruTheEgo View Post
    Treason is a solid option. It has an inherent expanded threat range, so with swashbuckler stance it would end up as 13-20x3.

True neutral is not necessary. The only restriction is that bards can't be lawful. And yeah, any good alignment takes the penalty from Litany.

You'll already get cha to damage from swashbuckler. Cha to hit really isn't necessary and Cormyrean Knight Training limits you to short swords, which means no Balizarde if you have that option. At the bottom of the OP is a breakdown of to hit using str. When I leveled this build through heroics, I actually started with 12 str, but a difference of 2 attack essentially amounts to nothing at all with the current to hit mechanics. I played every quest in the game, excluding some raids, on an elite streak and never had a problem hitting or killing anything using str to hit. So you can use Cormyrean Knight Training but I personally don't see the point. It costs AP and limits your weapon choice for a benefit that is definitely not needed.

Those are all solid gear choices. Blasting chime is a decent option. It's a good place to slot sonic spell power and I believe it offers more than what you'd get from lootgen/crafted at those levels. I didn't use the sonic SLAs, I wasn't impressed with them when I tried them out. But the sonic spell power from blasting chime will affect resonant arms and sword dance. They are not affected by spell crit however. Anthem is definitely not needed for heroics. It's not even needed for epics actually.
    first, thank you for taking the time to answer. love your answers.

Excellent point about CKT - so will forget and use Harper instead. Love the tree - just did WF 9 fighter 9 wizard 2 rogue (fighter past lives) and was trapping EE with +90's to skills - and was a super tank with eSoS and Red Dragon Docent.

Somehow I think I ended up with two Balizarde's and two Rebellion's (think originally was going TWF for bard lives).

See you in game! Something tells me these will be some awesome lives.

Default Uurlock's experiences with this build (PDK 15-26 Gear)

Recently started Uurlock on his three bard lives. Decided to combine with PDK iconic lives. This appears to be a perfect build for that.

I promised some feedback and will start with gear. Uurlock has lots of gear, just none of the epic Orchard items, and probably won't for a spell because not spending much if any time at cap.

Did a slight variation on the build and will post the differences. Sonic Blast SLA used allot because it well dazes mobs and allows for quick coup de grace.

Mostly this post is going to cover gear from level 15 to 26. There are holes and misfits, and am looking for suggestions. I will update this post as I level through this and the next two lives.

Three bits of note:
    1. this is a work in progress.
    2. Deception and Improved Deception from different sources stack.
    3. Different effects that lower enemy fortification stack, so Armor Piercing and Precision Stack.

Gear Set (lv15):
    Weapons
    melee: Treason (+5 shortsword, Deception, Sneak Attack Bonus +4, Treason, Armor-Piercing -15%)
    ranged: Unwavering Ardency (+3 longbow, Immunity to Fear, Flaming Burst, Smoke Screen, Blinding Embers)
    Shield: Swashbuckler lv12 (+4 Buckler: AC:5, DR:6, Parrying I, Doublestrike 6%, Guardbreaking, Riposte)
    Armor: Duelist's Leathers lv12 (+4 Leather Armor: +8 AC, +12 Max Dex, Feat: Mobility, Superior Nimbleness, Balance +13, Attack Bonus +1, Dodge +4%)
    Goggles: Greensteel Con-Op Wisdom Spell point
    Helm: Greensteel MinII Heavy Fort Protection Stoneskin
    Neck: Deadly (+6 Deadly)
    Trinket: Blasting Chime lv15(Weaken Construct, Sonic Lore V, Resonance +90, Cacophonic Guard, Evocation Focus II, Anthem, Craftable (+3))
    Cloak: Wretched Twilight (upgraded) (Ghostly, Nullification +72, Stealth Strike, Sneak Attack Bonus +5, Void Lore V,
    Belt: Belt of Thoughtful Remembrance(Yellow Augment Slot: deathblock, Constitution +5, Concentration +13, Negative Energy Absorption 20%)
    Ring (left): Ring of Lies (upgraded) (Charisma Skills - Exceptional Bonus +2, Improved Deception, Charisma +6, Diplomacy +10, Bluff +10, Haggle +10, Perform +10, <<Hidden Effect: Increases all threat by 15%>>)
    Ring (right): Ring of the Stalker (lv15) (Manslayer, Seeker +4, Ethereal, Exceptional Sneak Attack Bonus +2, Craftable (+3) (Masterful Craftmanship I))
    swap: spellstoring
    swap: ring of ancestors
    Gloves: Skirmisher's Gloves (lv15) (Strength +8)
    Boots: Boots of Resistance +5 (colorless: master's gift; yellow: feather falling)
    Bracers: Greensteel Smoke (blur, FR40, ER15, displacement clickie)
    Quiver: Quiver of Alacrity (Striding 30%, Ranged Alacrity 10%)

Gear Set (lv16): (showing only items changed)
    Shield: Swashbuckler lv16 (+5 Buckler: AC:7, DR:8, Parrying VIII, Doublestrike 6%, Guardbreaking, Riposte)
    Armor: Duelist's Leathers lv16 (+5 Leather Armor: +10 AC, +15 Max Dex, Feat: Mobility, Superior Nimbleness, Balance +15, Attack Bonus +1, Dodge +6%)

Gear Set (lv20): (showing only items changed)
    Weapons
    melee: SO from level 20 to 23 : Treason or Epic Elemental Rapier of Air (+6 Enhancement BonusIcon tooltip.png, Shocking Burst, Screaming, Improved Roaring, Greater Sirocco, Slicing Winds, Greater Lightning Resistance, Colorless Augment Slot, Red Augment Slot)?
    Shield: Swashbuckler lv20(+6 Buckler: AC:8, DR:10, Parrying VIII, Doublestrike 6%, Guardbreaking, Riposte, Insightful Dexterity +2, Blue Augment Slot: Good Luck +2)
    Armor: Duelist's Leathers lv20 (+6 Leather Armor: +13 AC, +18 Max Dex, Feat: Mobility, Epic Nimbleness, Balance +15, Attack Bonus +2, Dodge +8%, Blue Augment Slot: PRR: 12)
    Trinket: Epic Blasting Chime(BTC, Weaken Construct, Sonic Lore VI, Resonance +90, Cacophonic Guard, Evocation Focus II, Anthem, Inherent (10) Sonic Resistance, Colorless Augment Slot, Green Augment Slot)
    Cloak:
    Belt:
    Ring (right): Epic Ring of the Stalker (Manslayer, Seeker +6, Ghostly, Empty Colorless Augment Slot, Empty Yellow Augment Slot, Exceptional Sneak Attack Bonus +3, Upgradeable - Tier 3)
    Gloves: Purple Dragon Gauntlets (Strength +7, Insightful Constitution +2, Healing Amplification - 30%, Knight's Loyalty Set Bonus)
    Bracers:

Gear Set (lv23): (showing only items changed)
    Weapons
    melee: Balizarde (+8 Rapier (D:2.5[1d8]+8 15-20/x3, Pierce), Keen I, Parrying VIII, Dodge +8%, Good Luck +2, Planar Conflux, Phlebotomizing, Red Augment Slot: Meteoric Star Ruby)
    range: Pinion (+8 Long Bow (D:2.5[2d6]+8 19-20/x3, Pierce), Ranged Alacrity 20%, Seeker +10, Planar Conflux, Wailing, Empty Red Augment Slot)
    necklace: Charisma +8 of Natural Armor 7 (masterful)
    trinket: Planar Focus of Prowess (Con +8 / +4 attack and damage / +15 PRR)
    cloak: Deadly cloak of Resistance (Deadly VIII / Resistance +6)
    belt: need to update - but currently still deathblock item

Gear Set (lv24): (showing only items changed)
    WeaponsShield: Swashbuckler lv24 (+7 Buckler: AC:9, DR:11, Riposte X, Doublestrike 7%, Guardbreaking, Riposte, Insightful Dexterity +2, Blue Augment Slot)
    Armor: Duelist's Leathers lv24 (+7 Leather Armor: +14 AC, +26 Max Dex, Feat: Mobility, Epic Nimbleness, Balance +15, Attack Bonus +3, Dodge +10%, Blue Augment Slot: PRR 14)
    Helm: Plundered Pirate Hat (Helm - Charisma +8, Insightful Charisma +3, True Seeing, Blue Augment Slot - Sapphire of Fortification 100%, Colorless Augment Slot)
    Neck: Deadly VIII
    Cloak:
    Belt: lootgen con of false life
    Gloves: Iron Mitts (Strength +8, Healing Amplification: +60 Competence Bonus, Vitality +40, Resistance +7, Colorless Slot: Insightful Strength +2)
    Bracers:

Gear Set (lv25): (showing only items changed)
    Weapons
    melee: should be Rebellion at level 25 - seems I lost or never had Rebellion - so will try to get in FoT or switch to TF tier 2)
    ring (left): Ring of Deceit (: Charisma +8, Voice of Deceit (Bluff +20, Diplomacy +20, Haggle +20, Perform +20), Improved Deception, Yellow: Draconic Soul Gem, Colorless: Globe of True Imperial Blood)
    neck: Deadly VIII of Resistance +6
    cloak: Stormreaver's Tablecloth (Intelligence +8, Charisma +8, Spell Focus II, Yellow Slot: Deathblock, Spell Penetration III)
    gloves (swap): Gauntlets of Immortality (Touch of Immortality, Devotion +120, Healing Lore VI, Eternal Faith, Yellow and Colorless slot)

Gear Set (lv26): (showing only items changed)
    neck: Guardian's Locket (Level 26) - Natural Armor +9, Deadly VIII or Skirmisher's Locket (Level 26) - Dodge +9%, Deadly VIII

Community Member

I recently just TR'd my human bard to try this build out. Do you have a break down of level by level, by chance? I'm terrible with deciding what to pick up at which level. I'd like to take her past level 20, once done pulling greensteel gear from Vale.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Thescalybard View Post
    I recently just TR'd my human bard to try this build out. Do you have a break down of level by level, by chance? I'm terrible with deciding what to pick up at which level. I'd like to take her past level 20, once done pulling greensteel gear from Vale.
    level by level breakdown for what information? I am following this build and found everything I would need to know on the first page of the thread

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by kendo View Post
    level by level breakdown for what information? I am following this build and found everything I would need to know on the first page of the thread
    What feats he took at which levels, what skills he put points in when, things like that.

...snip...
    Thanks Uurlock. Good stuff. I added a link to your post in the OP under the gear section.

For the cloak at levels 20 and 24, the wolf cloak from the Eveningstar challenges might be a nice addition, primarily for the exceptional seeker. For bracers at those levels, convalescent (or lesser convalescent) are great if you have them. Bracers of Twisting Shade are also an option for exceptional seeker. For the belt I'd probably just go with the best lootgen con of false life I could find. Unless I'm missing it, I don't see either of those elsewhere during those levels.
    Unarmed monk guide with builds|The Arcane Warrior: wiz/fighter hybrids|White Feather Sniper: CC/dps focused deepwood stalker|The Divine Cuisinart: divine crusader tempest|The Count of Monte Cristo: swashbuckler|Hassan's Assassin: dex assassin|Dubbell O'Seven: WF artificer|Santa's Little Slayer: dragonmarked elf centered kensai

Quote Originally Posted by Thescalybard View Post
    What feats he took at which levels, what skills he put points in when, things like that.
    Everything is listed in the first post of the thread. The numbers in front of the feats are the levels at which they are taken.

Skills don't really matter too much. You get 6 skill points per level before any int tomes kick in, so max the important ones at each level (i.e. balance, heal, perform, umd, jump). When you've got 9 points in jump, switch that out for haggle, intim, bluff, diplo, or tumble as desired until you end up with the numbers listed for each of them. Bluff and diplo are used only for quest optionals, not during combat, and since the build is cha based, you don't even really need any points in those. Intim is rarely used in combat just to pull or hold agro, so may be worth keeping maxed as well, but it doesn't really matter too much.

Enhancements are something I change at nearly every level as I get more AP and more options become available. Just take whatever fulfills your immediate needs. My personal preference is to make offense the bigger priority (e.g. swashbuckler stance, coup de grace), but sometimes I'll find I need to focus a bit more on defense. Spellsinger is mainly for spell DCs, which you don't really need until you're near endgame. So I'd spend more in harper or warchanter before I needed the DCs.

Gear during heroics is fairly easy. I don't worry about optimal gearing before the final set because, if you don't already have that gear, you can easily level past the point of its usefulness while trying to obtain it. Just make sure you have the basics: con, cha, false life, resistance, deadly, fortification, etc., and keep those maxed for your current level. For the most part, lootgen can accomplish that nowadays. UurlockYgmeov's post above has some great gear options for level 15+.

Thanks Uurlock. Good stuff. I added a link to your post in the OP under the gear section.

For the cloak at levels 20 and 24, the wolf cloak from the Eveningstar challenges might be a nice addition, primarily for the exceptional seeker. For bracers at those levels, convalescent (or lesser convalescent) are great if you have them. Bracers of Twisting Shade are also an option for exceptional seeker. For the belt I'd probably just go with the best lootgen con of false life I could find. Unless I'm missing it, I don't see either of those elsewhere during those levels.
    I like your suggestions. Since he just hit 20 - will be a work in progress. You are correct - nothing of con or false life, and might have to swap deadly around. Exceptional Seeker is also a great boon, as will be ways to increase DC's. I think he really needs to go farm epic Orchard for some gear. :P

If I had a Cloak of Night (Level 24) (Invisibility Guard, Ghostly, Deathblock, Nightmare Guard, Dodge +6%, DR 10/Good) might be a choice - but also

an Epic Jeweled Cloak is also a good choice:
    ML23: Inherent Elemental Resistance - 10, Spell Absorption - 20 Charges (Recharged/Day: 10), Colorless Augment Slot with any exceptional stat +1, Yellow Augment Slot
    ML24: Inherent Elemental Resistance - 10, Spell Absorption - 20 Charges (Recharged/Day: 10), Colorless Augment Slot with any stat +7 or any insightful stat +2, Green Augment Slot
    ML25: Inherent Elemental Resistance - 10, Spell Absorption - 25 Charges (Recharged/Day: 10), Yellow Augment Slot with any stat +7 or any insightful stat +2, Green Augment Slot

or (does sheltering stack with sapphire of PRR?)

Adamantine Cloak of the Bear (Sheltering +9, Protection +7, Combat Mastery +6, Incite +20%)

other items considering:
    Gloves: Gauntlets of Immortality (Touch of Immortality, Devotion +120, Healing Lore VI, Eternal Faith, Yellow Slot, Colorless Slot)
    Boots: Halcyon Boots (Halcyon Mind, Dexterity +8, Striding +30%, Potency +80, Yellow Slot, Colorless Slot)

Everything is listed in the first post of the thread. The numbers in front of the feats are the levels at which they are taken.

Skills don't really matter too much. You get 6 skill points per level before any int tomes kick in, so max the important ones at each level (i.e. balance, heal, perform, umd, jump). When you've got 9 points in jump, switch that out for haggle, intim, bluff, diplo, or tumble as desired until you end up with the numbers listed for each of them. Bluff and diplo are used only for quest optionals, not during combat, and since the build is cha based, you don't even really need any points in those. Intim is rarely used in combat just to pull or hold agro, so may be worth keeping maxed as well, but it doesn't really matter too much.

Enhancements are something I change at nearly every level as I get more AP and more options become available. Just take whatever fulfills your immediate needs. My personal preference is to make offense the bigger priority (e.g. swashbuckler stance, coup de grace), but sometimes I'll find I need to focus a bit more on defense. Spellsinger is mainly for spell DCs, which you don't really need until you're near endgame. So I'd spend more in harper or warchanter before I needed the DCs.

Gear during heroics is fairly easy. I don't worry about optimal gearing before the final set because, if you don't already have that gear, you can easily level past the point of its usefulness while trying to obtain it. Just make sure you have the basics: con, cha, false life, resistance, deadly, fortification, etc., and keep those maxed for your current level. For the most part, lootgen can accomplish that nowadays. UurlockYgmeov's post above has some great gear options for level 15+.
    exactly on point. one should keep playing with enhancements each level until you understand them and have something that works with your style of play.

I play with a razor 17 button mouse and so I have immediate access to 40-50 hotbar slots through the use of the mouse and the the 1-10 keys, so my play style is massively different that most, and those who play with a controller are also different.

Since the enhancement pass, it has become simple and easy and inexpensive to reset your enhancements in any public space. So experiment and have fun!

as will be ways to increase DC's.
    The Sage's Mantle (guaranteed end reward from the Tracker's Trap, heroic available at level 19, epic at level 27) offers the best option for enchantment DCs imo. I wouldn't bother with the heroic version because your DCs will be fine with just the enchantment +2 from the Blasting Chime. But the +5 is well worth it.

I think he really needs to go farm epic Orchard for some gear. :P
    Most pieces are fairly easy to acquire and you'll get them within a few runs of the quest or chain. It's all bta so if someone doesn't need something, it's usually passed. And you get 1-2 choices of any of the epic necro gear (except mythic helms) from the chain reward, so a quick run on EN or EH is easy enough. Some pieces seem rather elusive, like the Epic Belt of Thoughtful Remembrance. I needed 2 of those and it took me about 40 or so runs before the first one even dropped. But by then I had multiples of just about everything else.

does sheltering stack with sapphire of PRR?
    It does not.

The Sage's Mantle (guaranteed end reward from the Tracker's Trap, heroic available at level 19, epic at level 27) offers the best option for enchantment DCs imo. I wouldn't bother with the heroic version because your DCs will be fine with just the enchantment +2 from the Blasting Chime. But the +5 is well worth it.

Have the lv19 Guardian's - but excellent advice on the epic Sage's Mantle.

Funny thing is - by the time Uurlock has time to cast disco or play fascinate - the mob is usually dead. :P

Most pieces are fairly easy to acquire and you'll get them within a few runs of the quest or chain. It's all bta so if someone doesn't need something, it's usually passed. And you get 1-2 choices of any of the epic necro gear (except mythic helms) from the chain reward, so a quick run on EN or EH is easy enough. Some pieces seem rather elusive, like the Epic Belt of Thoughtful Remembrance. I needed 2 of those and it took me about 40 or so runs before the first one even dropped. But by then I had multiples of just about everything else.
    Might just have to run it - or rather do an ER (or three) then an IR. Epic Belt of thoughtful is what I desire most - but the epic quiver would also go well.

It does not.
    thought as much. ty.

Funny thing is - by the time Uurlock has time to cast disco or play fascinate - the mob is usually dead. :P
    Yeah I really only use Otto's when I can plan ahead and have time to lay it down, or if I'm in a group that is clearly in over its head and needs a minute to regroup. It's quite handy in quests like Lines of Supply and Breaking the Ranks. Having everything frozen as soon as it spawns makes for some easy runs in that type of quest.

the epic quiver would also go well.
    The quiver drops in the raid, and the drop rates are horrendous in there, so expect to do 20 runs to get it. You do, however, get a complete list of the raid items on every 20th, so you're guaranteed to get it.

Yeah I really only use Otto's when I can plan ahead and have time to lay it down, or if I'm in a group that is clearly in over its head and needs a minute to regroup. It's quite handy in quests like Lines of Supply and Breaking the Ranks. Having everything frozen as soon as it spawns makes for some easy runs in that type of quest.
    essentially what I was thinking.

The quiver drops in the raid, and the drop rates are horrendous in there, so expect to do 20 runs to get it. You do, however, get a complete list of the raid items on every 20th, so you're guaranteed to get it.
    Took 122 attempts to get 22 completions to get first Quiver of Alacrity. *chuckle* back before raid bypass timers (I feel old!) Think I want my Bauble and Torc first. :P

Community Member

I wouldn't bother with the heroic version because your DCs will be fine with just the enchantment +2 from the Blasting Chime. But the +5 is well worth it.
    Blasting Chime gives +2 Evocation, not +2 Enchantment.

Quote Originally Posted by gwonbush View Post
    Blasting Chime gives +2 Evocation, not +2 Enchantment.
    Failed my reading comprehension check. Thanks for the correction gwonbush. I've never actually used blasting chime so I'm not too familiar with it.

You could get by without an enchantment focus item in heroics and early epics. Although it's certainly not a bad idea to have the Sage's Mantle as a swap if needed, especially considering how easy it is to obtain.

Community Member

Didn't realize the numbers were the levels taken, thanks for letting me know. I'm really looking forward to working with this character as my new bard!

Default Survivability issues in Epics

I just finished leveling the Human version to level 20. It was great fun and I had no problems with any quests on Heroic Elite.
    I am not having as much luck with Epics. I ended up with 375HP at Level 20, and as you know, that is just one hit from an enemy in most Epics.
    I don't try to get aggro. I rely on the Fascinates, and Disco ball usually to help my group, and melee when attacked.
    What should I have ended up with at 20 for HP ?
    Your build suggests 870's for final HP. Is that for the PDK version ?

So I wondered if my numbers at lvl 20 indicate that I am not geared properly, or missed something while leveling ?

Quote Originally Posted by pappo View Post
    I just finished leveling the Human version to level 20. It was great fun and I had no problems with any quests on Heroic Elite.
    I am not having as much luck with Epics. I ended up with 375HP at Level 20, and as you know, that is just one hit from an enemy in most Epics.
    I don't try to get aggro. I rely on the Fascinates, and Disco ball usually to help my group, and melee when attacked.
    What should I have ended up with at 20 for HP ?
    Your build suggests 870's for final HP. Is that for the PDK version ?

So I wondered if my numbers at lvl 20 indicate that I am not geared properly, or missed something while leveling ?
    The original build is not for PDK.

Uurlock has nearly 600 hp at level 20 - but he also has +6 tomes. Still sounds like your gear might be lacking something something.

As far as getting hit - the entire point of this build is it doesn't get hit that often - and has enough healing to heal up between hits.

The original build is not for PDK.

Uurlock has nearly 600 hp at level 20 - but he also has +6 tomes. Still sounds like your gear might be lacking something something.

As far as getting hit - the entire point of this build is it doesn't get hit that often - and has enough healing to heal up between hits.
    I will take a closer look a the gear you described in your previous post. You say it was for PDK, but it should work for my human also, shouldn't it.
    I can get the Tomes. I believe I have +4 Supreme Tome now.
    I should not be 300HP away from you if I am following the same basic build
    Last edited by pappo; 01-03-2015 at 01:55 PM.

Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast