Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Earning Epic and Iconic Hearts of Wood

We've been looking for ways to improve the experience of earning Epic and Iconic Hearts of Wood. After several rounds of iteration with the Player's Council, this is the direction we're moving towards. (This would come some time after Update 22.)

While your character is at level cap, completing epic quests adds 2 Heart Seeds into the End Reward list for that quest. This only applies to quests where Commendations of Valor already show up, including Epic Quests, on Normal, Hard, or Elite, that aren't ransacked.

Some notes and explanations:

• Reminder that you can turn 100 Bind-to-Character Commendations of Valor into 1 Bind-to-Account Heart Seed, and can turn in 42 Heart Seeds into either an Epic Heart of Wood or Iconic True Heart of Wood.
    • You'll continue to see Commendations of Valor in End Reward lists upon reaching level cap. This doesn't replace Commendations, but adds an additional End Reward choice.
    • This intentionally doesn’t affect Thunderforged Crafting or other existing or future uses of Commendations of Valor, only Reincarnation.
    • This doesn’t touch the current amounts players earn in any way. The players currently earninga full heart (or more) while they level up can keep doing that.

We considered more complicated ideas, but we're not sure it’s necessary for the goal we’re trying to achieve, and this is an otherwise simple solution. For example, we could reward Elite over Normal, or reward high level quests over low level quests. But that's already true for Commendations of Valor, and this is intended as an extra aid for players who have hit the level cap and are in a rush to Reincarnate, yet haven't earned enough Commendations of Valor along the way.

We're also aware some players might decide to only farm for Reincarnation at cap, and take other rewards while leveling up. If this partially devalues Commendations of Valor so other end-reward options feel like more viable choices, that's perhaps not inherently bad.

As we realize Hearts of Wood are important to many of our players, we'd like to hear your feedback.

Okay so if I understand correctly, once you hit level cap if you never took a comm at all, you would run 21 epic quests and have enough to ER/IR?

I really really like this.

I have to say this is a really great thing for casual players that run on lower difficulties but still want to ETR.

This is very clever way to shorten the cycle for casual players while still making EE rewarding.

Well done.
    DC Warlock Reaper Build (U48)
    Max DC Illusionist Reaper Build (U48)

Community Member

I like this. And I'm always a skeptic..
    Zaphear(Completionist), Lugziurious, Lugzmeat Shield, Lugzii, Lugziii, Lugzsing Measong - De Profundis

Very nice compromise. Well done (Assuming it goes forward).
    Khyber -- Grubbby, Grubonon, Gralak, and all the gang of *grubs* in the Homeboys of Stormreach.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We've been looking for ways to improve the experience of earning Epic and Iconic Hearts of Wood. After several rounds of iteration with the Player's Council, this is the direction we're moving towards. (This would come some time after Update 22.)

While your character is at level cap, completing epic quests adds 2 Heart Seeds into the End Reward list for that quest. This only applies to quests where Commendations of Valor already show up, including Epic Quests, on Normal, Hard, or Elite, that aren't ransacked.

Some notes and explanations:

• Reminder that you can turn 100 Bind-to-Character Commendations of Valor into 1 Bind-to-Account Heart Seed, and can turn in 42 Heart Seeds into either an Epic Heart of Wood or Iconic True Heart of Wood.
    • You'll continue to see Commendations of Valor in End Reward lists upon reaching level cap. This doesn't replace Commendations, but adds an additional End Reward choice.
    • This intentionally doesn’t affect Thunderforged Crafting or other existing or future uses of Commendations of Valor, only Reincarnation.
    • This doesn’t touch the current amounts players earn in any way. The players currently earninga full heart (or more) while they level up can keep doing that.

We considered more complicated ideas, but we're not sure it’s necessary for the goal we’re trying to achieve, and this is an otherwise simple solution. For example, we could reward Elite over Normal, or reward high level quests over low level quests. But that's already true for Commendations of Valor, and this is intended as an extra aid for players who have hit the level cap and are in a rush to Reincarnate, yet haven't earned enough Commendations of Valor along the way.

We're also aware some players might decide to only farm for Reincarnation at cap, and take other rewards while leveling up. If this partially devalues Commendations of Valor so other end-reward options feel like more viable choices, that's perhaps not inherently bad.

As we realize Hearts of Wood are important to many of our players, we'd like to hear your feedback.
    so this will only apply at 28/30 correct?

It's actually comparative to hitting L20 and running DA or VON or similar quests 20 times that give out Tokens of the Twelve or Token Fragments to earn enough to TR.

Awesome.
    Make it happen
    Give every person a gun and the richest man is the one that sells crutches

If you made it so easy, why don't you remove hearts?
    Effect is the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

Community Member Retired_Old_Gamer's Avatar

It looks like a good idea, no great idea, BUT.....

Right now, not in the future, right now, drop the required 4200 to something around 3500.

Why? People are having a hard time getting 4200. Sure there are people that don't mind the time-sinc, and running everything within the optimum parameters, but that is not the majority of players.

Just fix what's in place with lowering the requirement.

The proposal is nice, but until then lower the requirement please.
    Last edited by ferd; 06-10-2014 at 10:00 AM.

Bravo! I really like this change. I believe you'll solve many conundrums with this solution
    Keepers of Khyber - Proud Guild Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    This is how it should scale: Random loot < Named Loot < Raid Named Loot.
    The Trophy Room A great idea. Please do this devs!

I've been pretty vocal about my disagreement with the previous CoV system, and, while I love this change, I think it might be a bit much, a single seed per quest at cap would be enough for me. (Also long as the non-cap CoV drops stay the same of course)

But thanks a lot for finally addressing the issue.
    We want more Monster Manuals.

That's brilliant! I can take sweet, sweet renown again while going from 20 to 28 again too! Phenomenal decision devs - and nice job pushing for it, players' council peeps!
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    In Von 3 the breakables in the Troll Ambassador optional room are slow to get to and unnecessary for ransack.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

You know what would be easier?

LOWERING THE REQUIRED NUMBERS OF COMMENDATIONS OF VALOR TO GET AN EPIC HEART.

You don't need any complicated idea. Actually, you keep going for the complicated ones. First you put CoVs in Epic boxes. Now this. JUST LOWER THE NUMBER ALREADY.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    I don't think you get a choice.. you are Rys's minion..

Community Member

Thank you.

Ill explain why they are making this change.
    They will sell more epic boxes because it will be easier to get epic heart when you are capped.

I think you need more people on the council that don't cave to mob mentality and want to preserve challenges in the game vs rolling over to the mob.

A better proposal would have been at cap: (1) zero seeds for EN runs (2) 1-2 seed for EH runs and (3) 2-3 seeds for EE runs.
    Turbosilk Boomstick
    Completionist Sorceror XVIII
    Intel Rq'd - Orien

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    While your character is at level cap, completing epic quests adds 2 Heart Seeds into the End Reward list for that quest.
    I would suggest making it 1 Seed for EN, 2 Seeds for EH, and 3 Seeds for EE. It gives vets an incentive to do EE quests at level cap without unduly punishing those who run EN/EH instead. Helps that 42 is divisible by both 2 and 3.
    Last edited by unbongwah; 06-10-2014 at 10:25 AM.
    Retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

I like this idea for all the reasons Varg has stated....lets people take other rewards and helps casual players achieve a goal at the same pace as the not casual players.

I do however have some questions:

1. Will we see this before level cap hits 30?
    2. Any reason why this couldn't have been added to U22? Personally I would think that tweaking the end reward lists might be fairly straight forward.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Wizza View Post
    You know what would be easier?

LOWERING THE REQUIRED NUMBERS OF COMMENDATIONS OF VALOR TO GET AN EPIC HEART.

You don't need any complicated idea. Actually, you keep going for the complicated ones. First you put CoVs in Epic boxes. Now this. JUST LOWER THE NUMBER ALREADY.
    Their solution is much better because it addresses the problem EN and EH players face with lower com drops.
    DC Warlock Reaper Build (U48)
    Max DC Illusionist Reaper Build (U48)

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast