Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Redsonja 2.0 - U24 Barbarian DPS Build

Considering the changes to the barbarian enhancements I'm going to rebuild my Redsonja as a pure barbarian, race human.
    Sharing my thoughts here, catch you in game!

Build is pretty straightforward. Goal is survivability through healing amplification and Sacred Ground.
    It works pretty well in Divine crusader for sacred ground and no remorse.

Heavy armor is a must so you can catch up with the incoming damage on epic elite.
    Sitting at 166 PRR and 105 MRR in Divine Crusader it feels quite safe.
    Improved Uncanny dodge for the Oh **** moments!

Here is a video of me solo EE Temple of Vol:

Human Barbarian 36 Points
    Chaotic Neutral

18 Strenght + Level up
    8 Dexterity
    18 Constitution
    12 Intelligence
    8 Wisdom
    8 Charisma

Skill raise: Umd, Intimidate, Balance, Heal

1 Power Attack
    1 Cleave
    3 THF
    6 Great Cleave
    9 IC Slashing
    12 ITHF
    15 GTHF
    18 Heavy Armor Proficiency
    21 Overwhelming Critical
    24 Stunning Blow
    26 Tactician
    27 Epic Damage Reduction
    28 PTHF

2 options enhancement wise:
    If you want to maximize your defenses but still keep very good dps --> Occult Slayer capstone

If you want to maximize dps --> Frenzy Berserk capstone + Know the Angles

Gear setup

Epic Litany
    Shroud of the Ardent
    Goggles Green Steel 45 HP Land and Sky (Craft a GS with 150 Sp and switch as soon as you finish your spell points)
    Circle of Malevolence
    Adamantine Cloak of the Wolf
    Epic Belt of Thoughtful Rememberance
    Shadowscale Heavy Armor - Shadow Guardian Upgrade 30/Epic DR
    Mythic Emeral Gaze
    Convalescent Bracers or Levik Bracers
    Sanctified Gages
    Epic Boots of The Innocent - Orcish Privateer's Boots if you don't have an eternal FOM potion.
    EE Consuming Darkness

Thunderforged Greataxe or Falchion (1st degree, dragon's edge, mortal fear)
    -Devotion 138
    -Meteoric or other dps augment
    Last edited by Stinging_Bee; 02-10-2015 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Build updated
    Yeela & Melyssa - The Shiradi Sisters - FvS Healers
    Xylah - The Sniper - Pally Arcane Archer
    Redsonjah - Peacekeeper DPS

YouTube

Community Member

I am wondering if twisting in consecration and running LD would be better overall. I just don't see a reason to TR into this over my pally at the moment. Looks like a great build however, thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by polymath View Post
    I am wondering if twisting in consecration and running LD would be better overall. I just don't see a reason to TR into this over my pally at the moment. Looks like a great build however, thanks for posting.
    It's totally fine to run in LD and twist sacred ground and consecration. You can pump your dps even more but you will only have 250 sp so not so many to say the least

YouTube

Default question and thank you!

Hi there!
    I got to say that I like this build.
    It is really where I am heading myself .
    To be honest the previous Red Sonjia, the archer type was not something I was interested in playing.
    It didn't fit my somehow "limited perception of what a Barbarian does.

I like this new build but since my knowledge of the game is not perfect I have a question or two...

I can't understand what is the contribution of Stunning blow and of the Tactician's feat.
    Does stunning blow becomes something you can use on EE?

Thank you again for sharing your build!

Quote Originally Posted by Bladebolt View Post
    Hi there!
    I can't understand what is the contribution of Stunning blow and of the Tactician's feat.
    Does stunning blow becomes something you can use on EE?

Thank you again for sharing your build!
    Happy you liked it, I know some people didn't like ranged version but it was very fun to play for me.
    My feeling about stunning blow is that it is a funny ability for you to use and that it is something that can be useful, maybe against some annoying champion caster etc.
    It does work on EE with proper gear and destiny. If you watch the video I use stunning at minute 10.53 and it worked just fine.

The thing is that I don't see anything better than those feats honestly, I'm not a fan of PTWF because I don't think the barbarian can make any use of double-strike since you will be cleaving with your 5 or 6 cleave attacks endlessly (you don't get doublestrike when using cleaves).
    So yeah I feel some crowd control is totally useful in the champions environment and if you get to gear well your toon you should be able to use it very reliably against casters and decently against pretty much everything else.

YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Stinging_Bee View Post
    Happy you liked it, I know some people didn't like ranged version but it was very fun to play for me.
    My feeling about stunning blow is that it is a funny ability for you to use and that it is something that can be useful, maybe against some annoying champion caster etc.
    It does work on EE with proper gear and destiny. If you watch the video I use stunning at minute 10.53 and it worked just fine.

The thing is that I don't see anything better than those feats honestly, I'm not a fan of PTWF because I don't think the barbarian can make any use of double-strike since you will be cleaving with your 5 or 6 cleave attacks endlessly (you don't get doublestrike when using cleaves).
    So yeah I feel some crowd control is totally useful in the champions environment and if you get to gear well your toon you should be able to use it very reliably against casters and decently against pretty much everything else.

I have also taken stunning blow because it is fun! lol!
    But I can't seem to get it to work effectively, that's why I was wondering.
    But I don't see what is the part of your gear that makes it work. Stunning is 10+Str modifier, right? And the boots add +12? and +2 from The Tactician feat if I am not mistaken?
    So I would guess the strength modifier to be around 29-32, let's say 30.
    30+10+14= 54 . I have no idea if this is enough for EE but It seems that it is.
    Anything else helps the DC that I can't see?

Thank you in advance for your answer!

Community Member

There's also: Fighter past lives (up to +3 more), guild buffs (+1), Know the Angles (1/2 Int mod, easily +5 with minimal investment), Legendary Tactics (T1 in LD, +6) and Exceptional Combat Mastery (up to +6). Oh and +3 if in Grandmaster of Flowers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladebolt View Post
    I have also taken stunning blow because it is fun! lol!
    But I can't seem to get it to work effectively, that's why I was wondering.
    But I don't see what is the part of your gear that makes it work. Stunning is 10+Str modifier, right? And the boots add +12? and +2 from The Tactician feat if I am not mistaken?
    So I would guess the strength modifier to be around 29-32, let's say 30.
    30+10+14= 54 . I have no idea if this is enough for EE but It seems that it is.
    Anything else helps the DC that I can't see?

Thank you in advance for your answer!
    If you look at the gear the mytic emerald gaze gives +5 combat mastery bonus.
    Strenght should around: 18 + 7 + 11 + 6 + 11 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 2 + 1 + 5 = 68 (66 if tome +4)

Stunning dc: 10 + 29 + 12 + 5 + 6 + 2 = 64

You can go higher with special buffs or past lives

YouTube

Community Member

If you look at the gear the mytic emerald gaze gives +5 combat mastery bonus.
    Strenght should around: 18 + 7 + 11 + 6 + 11 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 2 + 1 + 5 = 68 (66 if tome +4)

Stunning dc: 10 + 29 + 12 + 5 + 6 + 2 = 64

You can go higher with special buffs or past lives
    74 or so is the no-fail fort save of melee orcs in stormhorns EE, but tactics are currently bugged to be no-fail.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 12-14-2014 at 09:36 PM.

Community Member

Hey.
    Would you mind to post the augments that you are using in your gear?

What alignement did you chose? I would have thought true neutral would be the best, but I saw that you put points in Blessed Blades in Divine Crusader, so it seems like you are chaotic neutral.

And how effective is the spell resistence you get from occult slayer in EE quests?

Edit: And since I am thinking about crafting a TF weapon: would you recommend a falchion or a great axe? I would have crafted a fachlion, because 18-20/x2 looks better to me then 20/x3, but I am not sure how important the difference in base damage is.
    Last edited by Shaitaan; 12-20-2014 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaitaan View Post
    Hey.
    Would you mind to post the augments that you are using in your gear?

What alignement did you chose? I would have thought true neutral would be the best, but I saw that you put points in Blessed Blades in Divine Crusader, so it seems like you are chaotic neutral.

And how effective is the spell resistence you get from occult slayer in EE quests?

Edit: And since I am thinking about crafting a TF weapon: would you recommend a falchion or a great axe? I would have crafted a fachlion, because 18-20/x2 looks better to me then 20/x3, but I am not sure how important the difference in base damage is.
    I think the spell resistance is very very useful, but you have to make sure you keep your constitution as high as possible. If you want to make it work in EE content make sure to be raged all the time and wear a 11 costitution, 3 insightful constitution gear, cast your primal screams etc...

Alignment caotic good. True neutral is a fine choice also

As for the weapon: Falchion is probably the best dps on trash but the greataxe is not too far behind especially against constructs and undeads.

YouTube

Community Member

Would this build still be EE viable with another race then human? I am thinking about doing a Shadar-Kai pastlife, but that would mean I don't have the Human Damage Boost and I would lose 1 Feat. (Maybe Tactician and Stunning Blow, which would free one feat, but I am not sure what to take there)
    How important are the Damage Boost and 1 feat for the EE viability of this build?

And would you recommend a Falchion or a Great Axe as all purpose weapon for raids and EE dungeons?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaitaan View Post
    Would this build still be EE viable with another race then human? I am thinking about doing a Shadar-Kai pastlife, but that would mean I don't have the Human Damage Boost and I would lose 1 Feat. (Maybe Tactician and Stunning Blow, which would free one feat, but I am not sure what to take there)
    How important are the Damage Boost and 1 feat for the EE viability of this build?

And would you recommend a Falchion or a Great Axe as all purpose weapon for raids and EE dungeons?
    If it's just for shadarkai past lives you can do 18 barbarian 1 rogue 1 cleric so you get the same feats as the pure version (you don't have to use a feat for heavy armor). The cleric is for more spell points and opens you the divine might enhancement (charisma bonus to strength) so you will not feel too much the loss of dps from the frenzied capstone.

Human damage boost is very nice dps tool if you are experienced enough to use it but you can live without if it's just for past lives

YouTube

Community Member

I like this build, and am thinking about TRing my half-orc into this. What would you suggest for changes, if any?

Community Member DaggomaticDwarf's Avatar

Default Would a dwarf work ?

Was wondering if a Dwarf would work? Max con with throw your weight around (Axe) , I know its a lil more racial points u used for ur human , 16 I believe.
    Would have a dump-ton of HP.

Just a thought
    If A Dwarf falls in the forest does he make a sound? YES! Ah Gawd Dang Sons of a *BEEP*
    Guild leader of the "Order of the Never Empty Mug"-Khyber Server-Varda, Daggummet, Xotika, Angelheart, Annaleeza, Keirza, Gearszin, Iluvatar, Sindeamon, and Pippsqueek

Quote Originally Posted by DaggomaticDwarf View Post
    Was wondering if a Dwarf would work? Max con with throw your weight around (Axe) , I know its a lil more racial points u used for mi ur human , 16 I believe.
    Would have a dump-ton of HP.

Just a thought
    I would definitely not recommend any other race than human. The free feat and the racial damage boost are the best thing for a barbarian.
    You can do a dwarf for flavour but don't go tywa. You absolutely need to spend your points in the actual barbarian stuff.
    Same goes for half orcs

YouTube

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DaggomaticDwarf View Post
    Was wondering if a Dwarf would work? Max con with throw your weight around (Axe)
    If you want a CON-based dwarf barb, see imTonE's build.
    Retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

I would definitely not recommend any other race than human. The free feat and the racial damage boost are the best thing for a barbarian.
    You can do a dwarf for flavour but don't go tywa. You absolutely need to spend your points in the actual barbarian stuff.
    Same goes for half orcs
    I agree that Human is "probably" the best race in a generic (not supported by fact) sort of way.

Here are some facts.

+1 Human Feat (no matter what feat is taken) is not better than Communion of Scribing.
    Human Damage Boost is not better than Power of the Forge*.
    I do love the bonus Humans get to skill points.
    I do love the Human Heal Amp.
    I do love the Human Greater Heroism enhancement.

I also love Bladeforged Improved Power Attack, Communion of Handling (+2 Racial Seeker) and Awesome Fortification.

Either choice is win.

*Action Boost: For 20 seconds you gain:
    +20% Action Boost bonus to weapon damage
    +30 Action Boost bonus to Universal Spell Power
    +4 Action Boost bonus to all Saving Throws
    +10 Action Boost bonus to Armor Class and Physical Resistance Rating

EDIT, Completely forgot about Human Enhancement Dimension Door.
    Last edited by DaSawks; 12-29-2014 at 08:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    No, although VIP players do get free Gold rolls on Daily Dice, so that might fit into your criteria. But when it comes to chest drops, chain rewards, general Daily Dice rolls (what number you get), etc., VIP does not confer additional "luck".

Bladeforged also requires you to start as Lawful Good so you can't take any Barbarian levels at first. To play a pure Barb BF you have to take your one required Paladin level and 14 levels in some other class without an alignment restriction, then use a LR+1 to remove the Paladin level (1195 TP), then buy an alignment change from the DDO Store (495 TP), wait 3 days for the LR cooldown, then LR+15 out of all of your levels. If you still have a LR+20 from the giveaway that's a good way to go, but otherwise you have to buy 3 LR+5s from the DDO Store (3x 1595 TP) and wait out another 6 days of LR cooldown to finish. IMO that is a steep cost to set up but I agree that the end result will be powerful.
    Sarlona resident (PureMouse, PlushMouse, [& other little mice], Cryosite)
    Former lurker/resident of Argonessen (Shyelle, Cheyelle, Moonsparkle)

"The first thing you need to do when considering a halfling thrower build, is learn how to bend halflings correctly so that they return." - amnota/Trelaf of Thelanis

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Also note that you still can't use BF Reconstruct SLA while Raged, which limits the usefulness of one of the key incentives to making a BF barb in the first place.
    Retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast