Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shining Crescents - Bugged? or just lame?

Inspired by the 10th anniversary, I've decided to roll up a one-weapon gimpy build around the Shining Crescents, for fun.
    Naturally my thoughts gravitated towards making a swashbuckler, but after a bit of testing, it seems the 2-handed light sickle is coded to be:

• Finnessable
    • Affected by the Single Weapon Fighting feats
    • Does not count as a finnessable single weapon for swashbuckling

I have to admit, this left me scratching my head...

So I thought, maybe it's to be used as a quarterstaff?

further testing showed that the Shining Crescents:

• Counts as a quarterstaff for the purposes of active quarterstaff enhancements
    • Not affected by ANY of the quarterstaff passive enhancement lines (as far as I can tell)

so it seems that rather than being an appealing item for both user types, or either, it seems it's actually been carefully crafted to fit neither.

Does anyone know if the coding of this item a bug, or if this was the original intent? or maybe there's something I'm missing?
    because being a raid drop and all, and being on the list, I have to admit I expected it to be at least half-decent.

Community Member Gramh_the_Bard's Avatar

It's just a weird weapon that doesn't fit nice into any category.

It's ideal to use with a mirror of glamoring for a q-staff build.

It does get +10 damage from power attack, which is nice. But no, other than glamoring it's not good anymore specifically because it was changed to not be used with swashbuckling.
    Bought my first dungeon master's guide in 1992. My favourite part of ddo is coffee and slayers

It's an oddity even by the standards of some of the other odd nonstandard items.. cosmetic looks pretty nice though.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was, now what's it is weird and scary to me.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

My testing agrees with yours. THF feats don't do anything; even though it's a 2H weapon, it doesn't seem to get glancing blows. And SWF feats applying is a bug: "Shining Crescents currently benefit from Single Weapon Fighting feats, even though it is a two-handed weapon. This will be fixed in a future update."

So for the time being, GSWF+Acrobatics should give you +45% atk speed. But since Swashbuckling and Staff Spec do nothing for it, I'm guessing only generic crit bonuses will apply, like Holy Sword or Crit Rage. So I'm not sure what you could do that's interesting with SC: a gimpy Acrobat? A rog / barb or rog / pally for Crit Rage or HS?
    Retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    It's ideal to use with a mirror of glamoring for a q-staff build.
    That's what I did.
    Steve Howe was voted "Best Overall Guitarist" in Guitar Player magazine five years in a row (1977–1981) and in 1981 was the first rock guitar player inducted into the Guitar Player Hall of Fame.

Thanks for the replies, disheartening as they may be.

Such a shame they've actually put work into building a pointless raid weapon....

Cordo, if you're reading this, I hope you bring it to whoever is in charge of loot these days to take a 2nd look at this raid drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauf View Post
    Such a shame they've actually put work into building a pointless raid weapon....

Cordo, if you're reading this, I hope you bring it to whoever is in charge of loot these days to take a 2nd look at this raid drop.
    ROFLMFAO!!!!!

You do know you're talking about a weapon made for a raid from Module 2? As in July, 2006? As in ~1.5 years prior to the F2P relaunch?

Still ROFLMFAOing
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

I think the weapon back then was designed for a 8 wizard/2 rogue kind of build.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    ROFLMFAO!!!!!

You do know you're talking about a weapon made for a raid from Module 2? As in July, 2006? As in ~1.5 years prior to the F2P relaunch?

Still ROFLMFAOing

then I guess we can agree it's due for a 2nd look!

If they bother second-looking those, they should first fixed the bugged runearm (it states it gives +6 bonus to intelligence but it does not)
    Bought my first dungeon master's guide in 1992. My favourite part of ddo is coffee and slayers

Re: swashbuckling - it kind of makes sense. I mean, you can't quite buckle the swash with 2-handed weapons, can you? The stance assumes that you use 1-handed weapons.

Now, the Crescents are an oddity and a pretty outdated item nobody uses seriously anymore. It's not that the item was designed not to work with SWF/Swashbuckling, but that the fancy new additons to the game weren't designed with outdated raid items in mind.

Honestly, before they go looking at items like these, I'd rather have them add augment slots to old raid gear and epic items that lack them.
    "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. ... People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true." Terry Goodkind

Quote Originally Posted by Ausdoerrt View Post
    Re: swashbuckling - it kind of makes sense. I mean, you can't quite buckle the swash with 2-handed weapons, can you? The stance assumes that you use 1-handed weapons.
    I wholeheartedly agree that you shouldn't be able to swashbuckle with 2-handed weapons.
    however, if a weapon is a finnessable single weapon, you should.
    as far as I can tell the Shining crescents is 1. finnessable 2. benefits from single weapon fighting
    so currently, I would expect it to work with swashbuckler.

ideally (read as: appropriately) shining crescents should be a 2-handed quarterstaff, and benefit from quarterstaff passives (not just actives) as well as the 2 handed feats.

which is why I asked if it's a known bug(s) that it's 1. coded as a finnessable single weapon, 2. does not work with swashbuckler

It might be worth it to use it in wolf form?
    To take that oddity to a whole new level of broken.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    F2P relaunch was 9/1/09, so Mod 2 was 3+ years before it. But yeah, we're talking about an ancient piece of raid loot which was always a one-off novelty and, like Celestia, hasn't been tweaked since its release to keep pace with all the game changes since then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrande View Post
    I think the weapon back then was designed for a 8 wizard/2 rogue kind of build.
    Did DDO even have PrEs back then? That was before my time...
    Quote Originally Posted by LightBear View Post
    It might be worth it to use it in wolf form?
    To take that oddity to a whole new level of broken.
    Well, Vertigo does boost Takedown. And it would be interesting to see if GSWF+Acrobatics+wolf form speed bonuses stack; and whether Quick Strike still works too. EDIT: obviously with rgr for TWF+DoD, ofc...
    Retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

It was designed because Staff users could not break dr/slash, back in the day that was quite a problem, when the endgame was riddled with those uber zombies :P
    G-land, Balistas Magicas, Bashukar Bloodaxe, Kobur Curse of Dragon, Necromatix

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    F2P relaunch was 9/1/09, so Mod 2 was 3+ years before it. But yeah, we're talking about an ancient piece of raid loot which was always a one-off novelty and, like Celestia, hasn't been tweaked since its release to keep pace with all the game changes since then.
    Yeah, I was hoping they fix Celestia when some odd Artificer/Weapon Buffer (e.g. fire) comes along and decide to give weapon buffs to everyone (non-deadly) and didn't ask.

Did DDO even have PrEs back then? That was before my time...
    On July 12th, 2006 when Module 2: The Twilight Forge was released?
    It was fun and chaotic.

1. Nobody or guild could dismantle the Titan for like months.
    2. There were no guild renowns and no guild renown calculations.
    3. VONS were new and it was the endgame at that time; since the level cap was 10. Velah was pretty hard to kill and people were hiding behind rocks and clerics were highly demanded.
    4. There were XP penalties for failing quests. You could end up with negative XP and level.
    5. Like I said, Shinning Crescent were to be used by 8Wizard/2Rogue builds. No PREs back then. Also, you can only take like 4 (Total!) Enhancements.
    6. No lag of any kind!
    7. People were working together. No soloing of any kind!
    8. If you loot a weapon with a "Vorpal" attribute; you basically won the jackpot and people were paying at least 2 million platinum for them... also, they were very very very very very.... rare.
    9. When I first completed Twilight Forge, my wizard was passed that weapon and I said I didn't need it; and people say, hey, "Test this for fun"... Remember Arach's Knight? That Iron Golem that had immunity to magic? Back then, the disintegration spell didn't exist, and the only thing a wizard can contribute to that fight was haste and used the weapon, "Shinning Crescent". Back then, Arach's Knight was also immune to magic missile; basically, he was immune to all spells.
    10. Oh yeah, people were loot running Giant caves quests in the Threnal area... also, no XP degradation for repeating quests.

Well, Vertigo does boost Takedown. And it would be interesting to see if GSWF+Acrobatics+wolf form speed bonuses stack; and whether Quick Strike still works too. EDIT: obviously with rgr for TWF+DoD, ofc...
    Sounds like an interesting wolf build. Too bad the weapon doesn't scale into epics.
    Last edited by Tyrande; 04-12-2016 at 10:53 AM. Reason: was

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrande View Post
    VONS were new and it was the endgame at that time; since the level cap was 10. Velah was pretty hard to kill and people were hiding behind rocks and clerics were highly demanded.
    Ah, the good old days when clerics were almost as useful as rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauf View Post

then I guess we can agree it's due for a 2nd look!
    I'm pretty sure that Turbine has forgotten that the Titan raid even exists. Shame too, it's one of my favorite ones, from the era when raids were more than just run into a big room, beat down a boss, and loot the chest. Ran it not too long ago for giggles.
    Sohryu ~ Ravensguard ~ Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Traps in DDO don't actually deal damage, they politely ask your avatar to damage themselves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast