Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    When Cannith Crafting is updated in Update 32, old Cannith Crafting shards will no longer be compatible with crafting machines. Players can currently convert their unused shards into Essences, and should do so prior to the release of Update 32. Old Cannith Crafting shards will not be able to be converted into essences when Update 32 is released.
    Thank you for officially stating this, this information is greatly appreciated!

Yes, the current plan is to release Update 32 on the 13th of September. The date could change, of course, but that's the current target.
    Thank you for officially stating this, this information is greatly appreciated!

and you forgot the disclaimer : "could change due to Blizzard, Kobold Invasion, Kobold Union Strike, Gerbils taking long weekends, and whims of Deities." :P

Community Member TomahawkOrange's Avatar

Angry ML is just the new potential

Quote Originally Posted by Dreppo View Post
    ... certain shards (such as Shards of Potential) can't be deconned...
    That's what grinds my gears. All those shards of potential we ground out just to level up in crafting. They couldn't even laterally convert them into ML shards. The MLs are really just the new shards of potential and also can't be deconstructed. New players (if such a thing still exists) will be stuck with piles of ML shards from leveling crafting the same as veterans are now stuck with potential shards they ground out to level their crafting.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclear_Elvis View Post
    Kinda sad that this is apparently an acceptable "norm" for many of you. I guess you're a "bear in a cage" right now and don't know or expect any different.

This game - it isn't growing right now. We're going 1 step forward, 2 steps backward. I see it in my own Guild numbers and the reduction of new-to-game players is very apparent when dealing with the numbers I am, especially on weekends. There are many former players that would argue against this "acceptance" of Quality Control/Quality Assurance being secondary to output, but those former players aren't in the game and they aren't here in the Forum to tell you so, because they've moved on, away from DDO.

And many in the current Player Community continue to slow-boil in a bit of anger over many of the game changes and the direction of the game right now. Some vent and stay, but some are finding it hard to stay and are walking away.

I encourage every player in DDO to refocus on what "should be" here - and that is for the content to be implemented as bug-free as possible and thoroughly tested and fixed (not just "previewed" and thrust into the game without feedback driving Design). We may not ever see the game grow much again - and the 10th Anniversary was one of the last attempts and the Lag period wiped out all inertia going from that event.

So, with what time and new content we do have still left in this game, we should expect the best possible results upon implementation, or what we may have to deal with are long-term "bugs" that are never fixed if this game slides into Maintenance Mode.
    This game is what it is.

We get the level of polish it's earning potential gives it. Small player base means less people paying means less money spent on it. If it doesn't make a certain return on every dollar spent on it WB will likely shut it down and spend that money on something else that can make that return. That's just reality and it sucks to be us for liking a game that isn't popular enough to deserve the level of investment we'd like.

Any chance we can get a way to turn in shards of potential for essences? Since they take so many to get them and there was no reason to destroy them since that was the core of the old system they added up. I'm not expecting this to happen but it would be really nice....
    My reality needs imagination like a bulb needs a socket. My imagination needs reality like a blind man needs a cane. - Tom Waits

Quote Originally Posted by CeltEireson View Post
    Cordovan, what about the +1-+5 enhancement spirits/shards and the shards of potential? They can't be converted to anything - ive got quite a few of them and don't like the idea of them going to waste. I could sell them but the price relative to the value of the items I broke up for them is tiny.

Not that big a deal but some kind of conversion would be nice.
    This. Important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post
    My words are great. Even out of context.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballyspringer View Post
    Any chance we can get a way to turn in shards of potential for essences? Since they take so many to get them and there was no reason to destroy them since that was the core of the old system they added up. I'm not expecting this to happen but it would be really nice....
    Quote Originally Posted by dunklezhan View Post
    This. Important.
    I too would appreciate being to decon them after the update. only these - since everything else can be deconned now (except enhancement spirits and shards, which also would be nice to be able to decon )

I don't have many shards (I usually make them on demand), but why devs cannot run script to deconstruct them? Turbine sure trying to make extra little money here - they sell ingredients at DDO Store ...

What will happen to old essences? They will be auto-converted or lost? What about Cannith Shard of Masterful Craftmanship?

Community Member

Default how so fast

Quote Originally Posted by Dreppo View Post
    Nope, they aren't asking players to put in any manual effort. You don't have to decon your shards; you can keep them if you wish. Just like when the Mabar ingredients turned to dust, or when the 40th anniversary dice stopped working. They are doing us the courtesy of announcing that these shards will be useless soon.

Releases are mostly date-driven. They don't wait until every little detail is perfect before releasing. A certain amount of bugs are ok; that's what patches are for. The players demand content, and to keep that going they have to release on a certain cadence. They try to release four times a year. Given that things are date-driven, personally I'd rather they concentrate their limited resources on the new content.

I also think you vastly underestimate the amount of effort it would be to "just" write a script that would decon everyone's shards, including all the places they could be (backpack, ingredient bag, character bank, TR cache, shared bank, guild chest, mailbox, auction house). Also think of the lag impact when this script runs. You've seen how long it takes sometimes to even remove a single item from the TR cache.

I had hundreds of unique stacks of various crafting shards, and it probably took me 5 minutes to decon them all. It took me about the same time to write this post.
    i have several hundred and I have to do them one at time how do you do them in less that hours?

The Hatchery
    2015 DDO Players Council
    2017-2021 PC Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguarete View Post
    What will happen to old essences? They will be auto-converted or lost? What about Cannith Shard of Masterful Craftmanship?
    Old essences will be able to be manually converted (1:1 for greaters, 5:1 for lessers) in various batch amounts (I believe I heard up to 1K at a time). Dunno about the MC shard, though.
    "Ignorance killed the cat, sir; curiosity was framed."
    Tripoint, C.J. Cherryh

And what is going to happen with already crafted stuff?
    Thelanis server - Playing DDO since 2006

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by CeltEireson View Post
    Cordovan, what about the +1-+5 enhancement spirits/shards and the shards of potential? They can't be converted to anything - ive got quite a few of them and don't like the idea of them going to waste. I could sell them but the price relative to the value of the items I broke up for them is tiny.

Well, I don't see them creating a special way to make this happen, so I guess they will be just useless after the update. Ugh..

Community Member

Default Crafting

They should have just combined the cannith crafting (useless raid shard one) into the new system, there's too many crafting systems as it is now.

When Cannith Crafting is updated in Update 32, old Cannith Crafting shards will no longer be compatible with crafting machines. Players can currently convert their unused shards into Essences, and should do so prior to the release of Update 32. Old Cannith Crafting shards will not be able to be converted into essences when Update 32 is released.
    Why not just auto-convert them at login?

Check character inventory including bags
    Check character bank including bags
    Check character TR cache including bags
    Check shared account bank including bags
    Check shared crafting storage

Chew up 1150 essences for each potential +15 shard we cannot deconstruct and Turbine thinks we're ok about getting nothing back for those.

DDO is just a database. How about all shards of potential magically convert to the new essence?

Don't know why I said that. Nothing will happen.
    Last edited by AAH; 08-23-2016 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Because idiots run this forum site and it still fails in IE

Community Member

Default shards of potential?

Originally Posted by CeltEireson
    Cordovan, what about the +1-+5 enhancement spirits/shards and the shards of potential?
    They can't be converted to anything - ive got quite a few of them and don't like the idea of them going to waste.
    I could sell them but the price relative to the value of the items I broke up for them is tiny.

Quote Originally Posted by dunklezhan View Post
    This. Important.

/AGREE....
    Because of this...

Chew up 1150 essences for each potential +15 shard we cannot deconstruct and Turbine thinks we're ok about getting nothing back for those.

In fact, I just got some +10, +11 and +12 shards of potential off the AH for Plat because the price was right and NOW they are going away : (

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclear_Elvis View Post
    Kinda sad that this is apparently an acceptable "norm" for many of you. I guess you're a "bear in a cage" right now and don't know or expect any different.

This game - it isn't growing right now. We're going 1 step forward, 2 steps backward. I see it in my own Guild numbers and the reduction of new-to-game players is very apparent when dealing with the numbers I am, especially on weekends. There are many former players that would argue against this "acceptance" of Quality Control/Quality Assurance being secondary to output, but those former players aren't in the game and they aren't here in the Forum to tell you so, because they've moved on, away from DDO.

And many in the current Player Community continue to slow-boil in a bit of anger over many of the game changes and the direction of the game right now. Some vent and stay, but some are finding it hard to stay and are walking away.

I encourage every player in DDO to refocus on what "should be" here - and that is for the content to be implemented as bug-free as possible and thoroughly tested and fixed (not just "previewed" and thrust into the game without feedback driving Design). We may not ever see the game grow much again - and the 10th Anniversary was one of the last attempts and the Lag period wiped out all inertia going from that event.

So, with what time and new content we do have still left in this game, we should expect the best possible results upon implementation, or what we may have to deal with are long-term "bugs" that are never fixed if this game
    slides into Maintenance Mode.
    These points are all valid to me. We want the playerbase to grow, do we not? Focus on quality over quantity will help in that area. Bug fixes are an investment in both retention of current players and long-term growth of the playerbase, just like new content.... but bug fixes cost more to implement after new content is rolled out. If 'lower priority' bug fixes are avoided or go unfixed/unimplemented due to that higher cost, they accumulate over the long term and degrade/damage the value of the entire player experience, regardless of new content. Catching them during development via thorough testing and possibly altering designs as needed saves everyone from headaches and frustration later.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    Why not just auto-convert them at login?

Check character inventory including bags
    Check character bank including bags
    Check character TR cache including bags
    Check shared account bank including bags
    Check shared crafting storage
    AND then the lag would kick in... and we all could walk away for a week while we tried to move one step in game. :P

Quote Originally Posted by AAH View Post

DDO is just a database. How about all shards of potential magically convert to the new essence?

Don't know why I said that. Nothing will happen.
    I think this is valid and fair. I made some shards that cannot be deconstructed by buying essences off the DDO store for real money. Now that investment could becomes worthless?

I call "no fair".

Please take some extra time to accomodate this concern. I just got back from a 6+ month hiatus (still a new player) because I was frustrated with certain things I won't get into right now, but I would like to know that the team is willing to take a step back and rework things based on our feedback. Please, please, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Gremmlynn View Post
    This game is what it is.

We get the level of polish it's earning potential gives it. Small player base means less people paying means less money spent on it. If it doesn't make a certain return on every dollar spent on it WB will likely shut it down and spend that money on something else that can make that return. That's just reality and it sucks to be us for liking a game that isn't popular enough to deserve the level of investment we'd like.
    From my point of view, you have basically answered your own dilemma. To increase the number of people paying money (current or new players), quality is what will sell your product. Quality is achieved by not rolling out content until it is highly polished. Low quality degrades enjoyment of not just new content, but overall experience and also trust in the development team. Low trust equals no willingness to spend.

Quality comes first, before money. If you hold back investment in quality, the money will dwindle, not grow.

Quote Originally Posted by UurlockYgmeov View Post
    AND then the lag would kick in... and we all could walk away for a week while we tried to move one step in game. :P
    One idea might be to create a new One-Room instance with a machine that the players can interact with to run that script. The instance might offer the possibility to isolate that processing burden from the main game shard, avoiding an impact to all other players.

I am sure there is some way to address the lag concern, despite me not knowing how the application engine and database are designed to interact specifically.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast