Thread: Reaper feedback

Default Reaper feedback

I feel like I've played enough quests on Reaper to give some feedback.

My expectations weren't very high from skulking Lamania forums; the 10 Skull mechanic seemed too polarizing between 1 and 10, leading to either the same thing or too much instakilling, trial and error kind of playstyle, the Reaper Tree felt redundant and the Reapers themselves a little intimidating, plus the general negativity had me a little skeptical but I was still very much looking forward to it.

Now, having played a good Reaper'y bulk, I can safely say I'm -really- impressed and satisfied, It truly feels like the DDO of old. The feeling is hard to explain, me and my friends (Two friends to be specific, we're a three-man guild) have been playing for.. 7 years? and despite the refreshing Epic Destinies, the game became too.. mechanical? as in, most quests were about walking forward while dishing out damage, healers, tanks and trappers became very rare, everyone was playing damage dealers and the Warlock class (at least in my opinion) really took that to new heights. And while still somewhat fun, there was a lot of potential missing, I didn't think the Reaper mode would answer all of these problems altogether but I think it did in many ways and personally, it not only revived that old nostalgia, it also brought a new way of looking at things.

So.. the good things that I feel are working really well:
    1) The 10 skull mechanic - It's surprisingly good, we generally run at R3 (from lvl 1-12 so far) and it's not easy at all, It's well calibrated.. and that's that, It's just well put together and enables a good difficulty slider on what you think you can take on, we weren't even ready for Reaper - missing a tank and a healer so it does feel pretty good to be able to survive and not be insta killed while still preserving a really tough and rewarding challenge.

1,2) It makes other classes -really- cool: Knowing that your healing matters is a very satisfying feeling and one of the main reasons to play a Divine and now you have a good outlet for it; healing on time and preserving mana, having mana gear, all that just got buffed by a lot and I'm personally quite hyped to roll a healer next life. Traps are meaningful again and having the trap bonus up the Reaper exp is also a nice addition to include a trapper in your party and finally, the most important one I feel, the return of the Tanks: During my playtime, I've seen two Tanks back in the day when Vale raids were the stuff and this one guy was tanking both like a boss but that was it, all this Tank AP and possible builds were abstract to say the least, there was absolutely no point in deviating from damage.. until now, I'm really looking forward to seeing some good tanking in action and some Divine lives forward, to play one myself. Also, you can now really push that DPS on your char, every little bit matters so it does feel good to gear up things like seeker I'd otherwise leave out.

2) The Reapers: Their design is very clever, my personal favourites are the Fear and Carnage ones, it puts an heavy emphasis on teamwork and awareness and never really gets old. 'Spots a Fear Reaper over yonder, rushes to slay it' it feels good, or a Tank who spots a Carnage floating around and gets him before he smashes someone, it makes every quest be a little more dynamic than otherwise would be.

3) The Reaper Tree and vendors: This is a little mixed for me but I'm overall satisfied, It's good to be grinding for something and feeling rewarded, I was afraid of another powercreep injection but it's level locked and in small increments. The vendors are nice despite being very MMO'ie which turns me off but I realize a lot of people like these things so It's nice to be out there.

And finally, some criticism.

1) First and foremost, while Reaper is being awesome, it also highlights some awkwardness in the game engine, mainly balance issues. Barbarians are outclassed by Fighters in Dps (and somewhat in survivability) and they had their pass 'recently' so it feels like they're going to be left out and now with Reaper kicking in, feels kinda bad, same with Sorcerers vs Warlock and Spellsinger and a bunch of other stuff that's probably not getting picked up now that you're encouraged to min/max things, It would be good to see every playable style be viable in their own way and yeah, It's the hardest thing to do so it'll take time but I think Devs should be encouraged to iron out the classes and hotfix them as the game goes on.

2) The Reaper Tree is my second concern, while it's good that it exists, I feel it was hastily developed and offers almost nothing new and just more of the same. It would be enormously nice to have some weird, cool, niche stuff there (but I don't know how hard and costly it is to develop new stuff so I'm a little blind here but still) The first clickies are nice but the others feel like they were just thrown in there, 6 seeker clickie? ~no~ one is ever picking this up, even it was 20. 1 point for the extra charge and that's it, its peer enhancement has a very nice concept that I think should be taken to the extreme, giving TS, bypassing all dodge and concealment, all fortification and things along that line, as it is, it's unusable but leaves a sweet taste on what could be. The HP increase per point spent in a very nice touch.

3) Some engine problems again, this time with the Reapers. While they're really nice they also have a small chance of being cheaters, like a Fear Reaper spawning behind closed doors or way up above or when (with the new aggro change) you damage a mob that triggers the other mob behind him that triggers the whole group behind that one that in turn spawns a Fear Reaper you have to rush down and kill, triggering a yellow alert. It's fun in it's own, silly way but does feel like a limitation of the engine.

In conclusion, I'm very pleased and excited to play the game 'again' and try a bunch of different things and see how others are doing.

Tl'tr: It's really nice.

Shiraji@Orien

Community Member

I have some big criticisms about Reaper. I would be really surprised, shocked actually, if anything regarding them were implemented.

There is one "small" thing that should be changed. The spell point refills are first-come-only-serve, and they shouldn't be. While I think I know why it was implemented this way, it is antithetical to the spirit of the game. If the dev's are worried about too much SP being recovered during the quest, then lower the values of the drops. Change them to function like treasure bags so that everyone can get one.

Community Member

These fear reapers are idiotic. Totally speaks to no actual testing though. Somebody hits them, and the whole group starts taking damage, no matter where you are on the map. We just had a run where somebody found one, died, and the rest of us were nowhere near it. We all died from stacking damage (40/tick at level 3 is pretty brutal) before even coming close enough to *see* it, let alone kill it. That can't be the point. Sometimes you have to split up.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapco View Post
    These fear reapers are idiotic. Totally speaks to no actual testing though. Somebody hits them, and the whole group starts taking damage, no matter where you are on the map. We just had a run where somebody found one, died, and the rest of us were nowhere near it. We all died from stacking damage (40/tick at level 3 is pretty brutal) before even coming close enough to *see* it, let alone kill it. That can't be the point. Sometimes you have to split up.
    There's content that makes you split the group at level 3? Really?

I do see the point when you get to content that will require the group to pull switches at the same time in different areas but at level 3?

Don't fall into the trap of "this is how we've learned to play the game before Reaper and now SSG needs to change Reaper to accommodate how we learned to play the game before Reaper."

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by KoobTheProud View Post
    Don't fall into the trap of "this is how we've learned to play the game before Reaper and now SSG needs to change Reaper to accommodate how we learned to play the game before Reaper."
    How about "whoops, phone, afk for 30 seconds." *DING*

I don't feel obligated to defend bad mechanics, and this is one. This is not a skill thing, it's just stupid.