Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default How Reaper has killsed the game

Well this has put the nail in the DDO coffin.
    Reaper was created to give people more of a challenge to keep them playing, but it will end up killing the game. Now if anyone new finds ddo they will leave soon after starting because a new player will not make it on reaper and the only level any old players will do is reaper. SO Reaper has basically admitted that new players will never join, and is just riding out the old players til the game dies.

New players will never find elite runs.

Reaper creates a new hardness mode... but then if you get exp in it, you can get enhancements to make it easy again.

Feel a little like forest gump after running for years.
    I've played ddo for years... and reaper makes me go... I'm done... time to find something that is still fun to play.

oh yea. I know you don't have to play reaper.... but that is all anyone will do. So no groups

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spunkykneebiter View Post
    Reaper was created to give people more of a challenge to keep them playing, but it will end up killing the game. Now if anyone new finds ddo they will leave soon after starting because a new player will not make it on reaper and the only level any old players will do is reaper. SO Reaper has basically admitted that new players will never join, and is just riding out the old players til the game dies.

Reaper creates a new hardness mode... but then if you get exp in it, you can get enhancements to make it easy again.

I've played ddo for years... and reaper makes me go... I'm done... time to find something that is still fun to play.

oh yea. I know you don't have to play reaper.... but that is all anyone will do. So no groups
    This is not true. Everyone started with notning. Who liked game, stayed. SO more important is good looking game with good mechanics than diversed community. Also well built 1st lifer can greatly contribute, all he needs is get a guild with advices sprees..

Is there anything stopping newbies from running their own groups? 1 VIP and they can go elite. If not? Ask a guildie to open elite for them. Nope? Just run normal and hard first. Yeah it will be harder to get carried through, true. But that's not too bad, maybe they will actually learn something?

Community Member Gramh_the_Bard's Avatar

The hyperbole is strong with this one >.> if you are so worried about new players in reaper ( which the idea of them struggling while vets carry them is absurd) then run new player groups on your server at normal and quit attacking vets as being the problem you aren't having fun anymore.

Community Member

Let me just jump in here and save everyone the trouble ...

"la la la la la la la la la [fingers in ears] I CAN'T HEAR YOU la la la la la la la la la"

OP, the people that agree with you are gone or have one foot out the door. Everyone else is inside the bubble. I'm sorry you fell prey to DDO's Lag Reduction Scheme(tm).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gramh_the_Bard View Post
    The hyperbole is strong with this one >.> if you are so worried about new players in reaper ( which the idea of them struggling while vets carry them is absurd) then run new player groups on your server at normal and quit attacking vets as being the problem you aren't having fun anymore.
    We have a massive influx of new players.
    Vets are all elitists and very rude in party and only think how to zerg and never help the party out.
    Vets play with vets only, they will never allow a newbie and hate teaching people stuff.
    Vets are very few and they do not deserve a difficulty made for them.
    Game was very hard before reaper for everyone.
    Warlock did not trivilize this game.

Thats ddo forums logic there in its purest form
    Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    There is no shortage of content in this game for the weakest 5% of players.

For most content, they have three difficulties designed solely for them, Casual, Normal and Hard.

Community Member Gramh_the_Bard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kebtid View Post
    We have a massive influx of new players.
    Vets are all elitists and very rude in party and only think how to zerg and never help the party out.
    Vets play with vets only, they will never allow a newbie and hate teaching people stuff.
    Vets are very few and they do not deserve a difficulty made for them.
    Game was very hard before reaper for everyone.
    Warlock did not trivilize this game.

Thats ddo forums logic there in its purest form
    True that homes, true that

It's more likely they will hate the agro mechanic and leave.

If the game was fun for them to play, they would never join reaper and have a good time.

this game has new players?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Helmet View Post
    A few. That is why the default server sees a spike in population.

On the forums, we have lot's of players with, say 6 months or less of participation.

7 billionth "there aren't any groups" complaint

You do know that you can POST groups? This is a thing you can do. It's physically possible.

Yeah, people might not join you right away. That's not the point. The point is that if you WANT a specific type of group to exist, YOU. MUST. POST. IT. YOURSELF.

Sitting around waiting for other people to randomly get it into their heads to do X is futile.

My experience with Reaper is that even vets largely suck at it. And they HATE it. They've forgotten how to play (if they ever knew). They're used to steamrolling content so they die once, have to wait a few minutes to get a rez or be ferried to a shrine and they throw a big pout and recall out and drop group. And then whine a bunch. It's HILARIOUS. It's also the reason I won't run Reaper 1 because it's weaksauce and you get almost half again as much Reaper XP by going up to 2, which isn't all that much harder. But it weeds out people who don't want to bother preparing or learning. I let them join. They boot themselves because the prospect of dying 3 or 4 times is apparently more than they can take. Heck, with some of the beholder champs about all you can do is get in a little damage and die strategically. You just need to be PATIENT.

One of the best Reaper teammates I've run with recently was a healbot. Not a hireling, an actual "I just made this toon and I can't do anything" healbot. He couldn't do damage or kill anything fast enough to stay alive. Couldn't even really heal HIMSELF effectively. No swirlies, no past lives, brand new character.

Stuck with me for an entire day, just trotting along and throwing great heals. He got XP, we got XP, granted, yeah, he DIED a lot, but that's fine, if you're not dying in Reaper you need to up the difficulty one, because otherwise what's the point.
    Last edited by PsychoBlonde; 03-10-2017 at 07:04 PM.
    Kimmeh--Lehren--Natheme--Arekkeh--Daiahn--Yesminde
    Join Magefire Cannon on Thelanis!
    Follow PB on Twitch!
    PB's Youtube Channel

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tebaco View Post
    This is not true. Everyone started with notning. Who liked game, stayed. SO more important is good looking game with good mechanics than diversed community. Also well built 1st lifer can greatly contribute, all he needs is get a guild with advices sprees..
    this is one of the worst posts i've in my life.

i mean i quit DDO long itme ago when the game oficialy died wich was when they announced MoTU, it actually could bring some new players to the game, but due to the fact the game was actual DDO anymore , most ppl quit overitme with cr4p updates every few months that killed the entire content , making the game only about the very last content , wich was very little to fight for.

ANYWAY , I remember taht one of the reasons for me and like 30 friends of mine (who all quit DDO when it died after MOTU) , stayed in DDO for one reason : playing as a team the entire game. That was absolute amazing, it was something missing from MMORPGS (and its actually missing more than ever nowadays). Reaper may have bring the team play for the end game players ( or not since im not playing it, but from what im reading in this forums , reaper is a joke), but its not for the low lvl players. So looks like we will have even less veterans playing older quests (more groups for low lvl/new players) on normal way , wich means ppl will have to solo all their way to the end game...

this game is dead.

rrip DDO 06-11

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Helmet View Post
    I recently bumped into a couple on Khyber! It sure surprised me.

They should really offer free server transfers so those who enjoy running Reaper, Elite, with new players, or whatever, can congregate.

Also, each server seriously needs global Chat and Advice channels. Every time I answer someone's question I get something like, "I am so happy I bumped into you! No one ever helps me!" I would help more often if I could actually see the questions!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Annex View Post
    I...

Also, each server seriously needs global Chat and Advice channels. ...
    Once upon a time, there were.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by iRexxar View Post
    Reaper may have bring the team play for the end game players ( or not since im not playing it, but from what im reading in this forums , reaper is a joke), but its not for the low lvl players.
    You saying game is dead and that you dont play it. And about what someone telling on forum. Imho better is to try personal experience than saying judgements.

To be honest reaper brought me back in. R1/R2 = boring..Its about same like elite. Reapers are no real threat on this difficility. r3+ is more interesting.. In r5 you actualy have apply strategy and team play. And someone in team may cause wipe. For me personaly is reaper big win. Bad part on it is grind, but it is not anything you have to archive (max out reaper xp). You can find spot in game, abbadon TR madness. And just have good time paying challange on some picked level. Park your toon on say 6, 11... (depending on content you like) And enjoy other angle of play. That way can game life for casuals greatly.

And to the other part of your statement that reaper is not for new players? I already gathered few adventurers throught some quests on r4 and it was good fun for all. Basicaly they can choose playstyle. One is steamroll zergfest. Another is just something when you apply strategy, where you take spot for cover. Should have using correct spells or weapons/effect or die or your party die. This update is huge. But true is that many people are comfortable with brainless zergfest and avoiding reaper. I am fine with that. I have some friends who can come and gladly join me. Problem is that many of tham are on TR chain. SSG should do next move, add more content.
    Last edited by Tebaco; 03-10-2017 at 09:01 PM.

Community Member

I dont share the opinion that it has killed the game.
    People will play how they want to.
    Its inclusion hasn't really affected me one bit.
    Its just another setting I don't use.

I agree its not going to draw new players, but I dont think it was designed to draw new players.
    Would have liked to see something else, but am okay with someone else getting their thing.

Hope they nerf warlocks again.

Not sure what server you're on but on Orien there are plenty of people starting up Normal and Hard LFMs and people are joining them. There's a good number of reaper LFMs too.
    Start cross server trading and profit!
    Characters: Grandern Marn / Yazmirr Grezztl / Vexir Bristleblade / Zappinaizah Subatrumpf Server: Orien Guild: Faca na Caveira
    New to the Orien server? Type "/joinchannel Titan" into the chat window and join some lively DDO discussion! Happy to help out with any questions.

Well its not that they can't find or join groups. Most people don't like being the gimp. And seeing the grind that it takes to be the best, a lot of new players will just leave.

Not sure what server you are on, but here on Sarlona, there are a lot of lfm's that aren't reaper. I've posted a few myself, as well as some reaper posts. And I have had some new players join reaper, they did fine if they listened to instructions.
    Darkwinn, Milkus, Terismina, Gothmawg, Dreylock, Drunarah, Bigbhamboo, etc on Sarlona / Brixlynn, Mofus, Curgoth, Deidlit, etc on Ghalanda.

Let me ser if I get this straight...
    "Last time I've played DDO was FIVE years ago (perhaps more), but I feel obligated to throw in my personal opinion about this game and assume that everyone else take this as the Absolute Truth"
    Please...
    XD
    Last edited by Sisma; 03-11-2017 at 02:04 AM.
    Proud member of the Silver Legion

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast