Community Member

Default New legs for an old game

I was feeling a little unchallenged and uninspired with my squad of uber-toons with multiple past lives, almost unlimited plat and just about every piece of named gear sitting in some bank or cache, so I rolled-up several of my favorite builds on a new server. Man-o-man, I have to say it is a blast of fresh air and a brand new life for me> having to make due with the random gear I pull, doing with-out things in certain slots until I ransack enough plat for them on the AH (My paladin had to run for several levels without being able to cast spells because I didn't have a wis item sitting in a bank or enough plat to just buyout the gear outright...) Pulling named items is now like getting a visit from Santa Claus instead of vendor fodder - Dungeons seem more challenging now and I even died a few times in Normal because I wasn't being careful enough. HElite and Reaper are dangerous and I really have to prepare and get strategic to survive - It took me 4 hours to get through all 3 slavers on HH @ level 7 (actually had to buy a cake in Salvers2 part 2) and running without ship buffs make me really appreciate my toons 1st and 2nd level spells for standard buffs - I guess what I am saying is starting over has gave this game new legs for me and I feel that old feeling of immersion that I haven't felt in DDO for a long while..... Its like playing a brand new MMO.

Has anyone else had this experience or am I just desperate and nostalgic for the fun and being delusional?

Mac

You are definitely on to something here. On tvtropes they call it "early game hell" http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph.../EarlyGameHell

I think that in most RPGs and perhaps even most games, early game hell is the best part. You are still excited for every piece of loot or ability gained as they make a big difference for your gameplay. Later on, character power kind of avalanches and in many games you become too OP and everything just turn in to a roflstomp on your way to the end boss.

I still have fond memories of saving up plat on my first character to buy that awesome +4 keen falchion (omg what a crit monster! Running around GH critting stuff for like 60 damage)

My favorite early game hell is Nethack (SLASH'EM variant). Difficulty of the mobs is insane, get swarmed by bees or ants and heart rate goes up x10... The feeling of joy and relief if you find a good shop to rob, nice equipment, or some way to acquire poison resistance is unbeatable (in all of gaming according to me). After mid game though it avalanches too much and i find myself starting a new character rather than finishing up.

Quote Originally Posted by MacRighteous View Post
    I was feeling a little unchallenged and uninspired with my squad of uber-toons with multiple past lives, almost unlimited plat and just about every piece of named gear sitting in some bank or cache, so I rolled-up several of my favorite builds on a new server. Man-o-man, I have to say it is a blast of fresh air and a brand new life for me> having to make due with the random gear I pull, doing with-out things in certain slots until I ransack enough plat for them on the AH (My paladin had to run for several levels without being able to cast spells because I didn't have a wis item sitting in a bank or enough plat to just buyout the gear outright...) Pulling named items is now like getting a visit from Santa Claus instead of vendor fodder - Dungeons seem more challenging now and I even died a few times in Normal because I wasn't being careful enough. HElite and Reaper are dangerous and I really have to prepare and get strategic to survive - It took me 4 hours to get through all 3 slavers on HH @ level 7 (actually had to buy a cake in Salvers2 part 2) and running without ship buffs make me really appreciate my toons 1st and 2nd level spells for standard buffs - I guess what I am saying is starting over has gave this game new legs for me and I feel that old feeling of immersion that I haven't felt in DDO for a long while..... Its like playing a brand new MMO.

Has anyone else had this experience or am I just desperate and nostalgic for the fun and being delusional?

Mac
    Not at all. Starting fresh on a new server is certainly a way to spice the game up - quite a bit.

Our guild on Argo has a small guild on Wayfinder with a Windspyre Sparrow airship. We each have a few first life toons and runs are much more difficult and require real game play without our powerful, geared TR toons.

I agree, I switched servers a couple years ago leveled a few toons to 30 before bring one of my fully geared toons over from the old server. It was fun, but in the end, I brought some items with me.
    Darkwinn, Milkus, Terismina, Gothmawg, Dreylock, Drunarah, Bigbhamboo, etc on Sarlona / Brixlynn, Mofus, Curgoth, Deidlit, etc on Ghalanda.

I ran a test build on Wayfinder. Yes, very challenging--watched lootgen voraciously & needed to farm up easy-to-acquire named gear like nightforged necklace to make it by. Also, on Wayfinder, the diminished population means almost nada on the AH so you really feel challenged.

No easy PL fast healing...no tomes...no PL buffs to DPS...no good gear...Yet I did surprisingly well--main issue is that I could not open elite
    Last edited by Saekee; 06-17-2017 at 07:24 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by The_Human_Cypher View Post
    Not at all. Starting fresh on a new server is certainly a way to spice the game up - quite a bit.

Our guild on Argo has a small guild on Wayfinder with a Windspyre Sparrow airship. We each have a few first life toons and runs are much more difficult and require real game play without our powerful, geared TR toons.
    Did the same thing with some guildies. But it fell apart as schedules didn't work for long.

Default Same

Did the same. Started a new life and a new guild on a new server. And enjoyed it nearly as much as the first time I played the game. The only down side was all of the zergers telling me I was a piece of **** because I died occasionally. It really is amazing how no guild buffs, no tomes and no gear really changes the game. Struggle is life. Take a way the struggle, and is it really life?

Anyone interested in starting up a guild somewhere where the only rule is you play through one life and delete it when you get to 20 (or 30). Like a perma-death, but you only perma-death at the end. Think "Logan's Run" and carousel. I think I would really like that. No zerging, because getting to the end means death. No worry about getting the best gear.

It would have to be done with only guild parties because everyone else would blow by you and zerg to the end. Of course if you only played elite content most of those zergers wouldn't join anyway. A pipe dream I guess.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Anyone interested in starting up a guild somewhere where the only rule is you play through one life and delete it when you get to 20 (or 30). Like a perma-death, but you only perma-death at the end. Think "Logan's Run" and carousel. I think I would really like that. No zerging, because getting to the end means death. No worry about getting the best gear.
    I actually had a similar thought in regards to the thread, but not killing your toon. Instead, before your toon TRs you trash all your items and plat. So each following life you're starting back at needing to find good gear. You still get the past life bonuses and AP increases, and any tomes you got, but that'd be it. Dunno what you'd call it though. Clean Reincarnation? *shrug*

Or maybe you'd still be allowed to throw stuff into the shared storage or plat bank before you TR, toss anything that you could not do so with. And each life would additionally be restricted from using their shared storage, plat bank, etc. Basicly not using/getting any resource they did not themselves get in a quest or as a result thereof.
    Last edited by Amundir; 06-18-2017 at 08:00 AM.

Community Member

Yes, I agree with everything you said.

Nothing can be more fun than create a new character in another server while using some kind of perma-death based rule on..

Whenever someone with a lot of TRs tells me that they are bored with the game I offer them this option. After all, if the "company" does not create ways to make the game more interesting during its progression, there is always the possibility for the player/community to create his own rules that limit the use of things that he deems unnecessary.

Playing with a first-life reminds me of the good times I had at a rpg table. Knowing that DDO can still be considered the MMORPG more faithful to the D&D system makes me very sad, even more considering the direction it has taken, the bad decisions..

Community Member Retired_Old_Gamer's Avatar

I have 2 "new" accounts. And one is on a laptop & doesn't even use the same IP, (hehe)

I have a blast with my newb toons, in a strange setting and a different guild.

I do not use voice chat, or any of my main server's character names. I used a D&D name generator for that.

I just came back from another long break, and am relearning a lot of stuff. so playing w/ my guildies on Thelanis is a blast as well. But to hang with them I have to put on my "big boy pants".

Community Member

Thanks for the replies - glad to see I'm not the only one who has found starting fresh a worthwhile endeavor.

I highly recommend it to anyone who is in a slump or rut.

Cheers
    Mac