Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Season Pass? umm...pass.

Hi SSG,

I love DDO (see FOUNDER status) and really like the direction you are headed with the Season Pass idea - https://www.ddo.com/en/seasonpass but quite frankly at $299 for two years it is too pricey.

Many other games sell LIFETIME accounts for this much or less - and that is with a new game, not one that is almost 15 years old.

I really want to support this idea and DDO, but the price is just too high for the return.
    Bring teleport more inline with PnP: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Basic-Teleport
    Player made quests can work in DDO: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...erated-content

Community Member

Also some math

299:24=12,more numbers

A 1 year vip is 9,9 monthly...

Where is the advantage? That pack stays? Meh

I don't see any advantage to it either.

I already pay $100 a year for VIP (gladly).

So how is $299 for two years of VIP a good deal?

You also get a Otto's Box ($50), and daily free gold rolls (instead of weekly).

So basically for $49, I get daily free gold rolls for two years. Not terrible, but not enough to get me to sign up.

Keeping the stuff released in the next 2 years doesn't interest me, since I'm already VIP and intend to remain VIP.

Afraid I have to pass as well.

Throw in a free +1 racial tome for all my characters, and I'll buy it today.
    Last edited by Thrudh; 12-05-2018 at 12:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

$300 is a steep price tag just a few weeks before Christmas (and actually during Hanukah) on a 12 year old game for a non-permanent perk. Putting a cap of 1,000 Sold! seems like they're trying to create artificial scarcity to spur demand - and as a consumer I hate being manipulated in that manner. Why not just sell them? No time limit, no artificial cap to how many sold - just keep it as an available option and everybody wins. The whole thing smacks of gimmick.

Better timing would have been to unleash this on 1/1/2019, imho. A bit of the holiday crush is over, but the urge to acquire new shinnies persists.

I would love to (be able to) buy this, and support SSG and get the perks of the Season Pass. But the way it's being presented, along with the tone-deaf price tag, all adds up to a hard pass on the season pass.
    Last edited by Memnir; 12-05-2018 at 12:34 PM.
    Exit, pursued by a bear. ~ William Shakespeare (stage direction from The Winter's Tale)

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Open Guild for All Founder - Hardcore

My question for the Devs is:
    "What happens to your prepaid VIP sub if one buys the Season Pass?"

As far as value goes:

2 years of DDO = $198
    1 Otto's Box = $50
    6/7 * 2 * 365 extra Gold Rolls (worth about 9375 shards) = about $468 per server played
    Cosmetics = priceless
    Released Content Packs are auto purchased = 750 tp *3 *2 = $45
    how much is 2 years of content selling for
    (some players complain that they cannot purchase while VIP so this might be their answer)

Total value = $336 + 468 per server played estimate please correct if wrong?
    Last edited by Silverleafeon; 12-05-2018 at 06:52 PM.

Default Umm

I, like the OP, was super excited when I started to read about this on the announcement page....then I got to the end and was like ***? Then I started to do the math and was like ***?????

It doesn't make sense. WHO is this targeting? Free to play members? I highly doubt there are 1000 people who would actually benefit from this by maximizing it (not saying 1000 people won't buy it because..consumers like to spend money) but if you expect most people who can do basic math to fork over 299$ there needs to be some legit incentive for us too. For 299$ we should be getting 450$ worth of USEABLE items. This is not buying a car where you are trying to steal it from the salesmen, this is virtual items that have no "real" value. I can't trade in my account for a new 2019 DDO sports model. This pass just doesn't make sense. For 200$ I can get a 2 year sub. And if I buy DDO points on DDO bonus day for 99$ I can get 18000 points. That's more then enough to purchase everything this pass offers (minus the cosemtic armor) with some to spare and I can pick what I want to buy not what you are offering. Also doesnt FORCE me to log in daily to maximize my profits by doing the gold bonus roll (that sounds like a chore honestly).

What I suggest instead...:
    I like the Gold roll idea but should just be a freebie...not being factored into the cost.
    Give 1500 ish Astral Shards
    Allow the buyer to pick every 6 months either 1 heroic or epic box (their choice) for a total of 4 during the 2 years.
    Some type of cosmetic gear that is AMAZING..not a silver version of armor there are already 10 other choices of...I mean that is lazy and LAME. Give us an Aura that surrounds our character or some cool glowing cape. MAKE us feel like Season pass holders! I buy a season pass to theme parks ect because of the cost/discount perks/and special bonus days just for Season pass holders like they close the park down at 6pm and allow season pass holders to trick or treat during Halloween week. Ect.

A special title only obtainable from becoming a season pass buyer (or your name in a special color).

A free 30 day code so you can give it to a friend (to promote the game so more people buy).

Honestly this was a great opportunity that has been ruined. Not just now but long-term for you guys. You were better NOT doing it at all in my opinion and that is sad to say because I love the idea...just not the execution at all. SSG kinda screwed yourself UNLESS you make some changes asap before it becomes available on the 7th. Because if you sell this one......then in a year do another one with MUCH better options people will get upset because of that as well. Just doesn't make sense. I know you guys need to make a profit but there was little thought put in outside of your bottom dollar to maximize your profits....short term. Not long term. If you made a package that was great for the current members, it would of just brought in more players or kept current players happier longer because they would be happy with their purchase and telling their friends about it. (Hey Joe...man now is a great time to get in with DDO because they have this awesome deal). I also am not going to lie.....I really doubt the 1000 only thing...if 1001 wanted to buy this package that really leans toward SSG gaining profits...I doubt the bossman is going to be like..NOPE denied. There is no way to prove that there is only 1000 and should of just been left out of the promotion. Would of been much better to say, Only selling during the month of December..that would of been a better way to put a sense of urgency into players to purchase. Whoever is in charge of PR/Sales needs to be more creative.

I love this game and have spent over $2000 dollars on it over the last 15 years (My account and the wifes), but I won't be dropping 600$ this go around. Hope you guys adjust this to make it worth it.

UPDATE: This is my legit suggestion to make this worth it.

SSG this is how sell the "Season Pass" that gets everyone involved...and will make you a lot of money, while making us happy.

Leave everything the same/alone except add this, Upon becoming a Season Pass holder your account becomes flagged and will be able to view all previous UPDATE content (races/specs/quest/raids) and during the two year period you will be discounted 30% when purchasing previous content.

This is a WIN WIN. People will get all previous content at a discount and get to keep future content for free. This will allow people to spend more money on previous content (no one wants to let a good sale disappear) and when it expires in 2 years they will have everything and can determine if they want to continue paying VIP. This will also allow people who are ALWAYS VIP to want to buy the package because now..it might be worth it to them to NOT be a VIP member in a few years. Also if people end up not buying old content at 30% you win because they didn't get a discount...if they do buy it..you win because you sold it. But its up to the player and you don't have to change anything, the package or your price. If people take advantage of the discount then they can get their "moneys worth" and you get profit. That's my suggestion.

Do this and you can have my 600$ (2 accounts). Which will turn into more like 1000 after I buy all previous content at 30% off (which is less then most of their content sales..so its not like some huge discount).

This also cant be that hard to put into action. Just turn non VIP content to "show" and add a 30% discount to 1000 accounts.
    Last edited by Jaysun; 12-05-2018 at 02:19 PM.

Community Member

It's for the whales that will never leave until the game switches are shut off. Gotta milk them during the holiday season.

Community Member

I think this is pretty obviously just an experiment in the "rent-to-own" model. A lot of people complain that they cant purchase permanent content while they're VIP, especially when it goes on sale and stuff. This model would be a middle ground between steady subscription revenue for SSG and permanent account acquisitions for players.

The 1,000 limit, I think, is not about drumming up hype - I think its protecting themselves in case its a bad model. They dont want to commit to it and have all the VIPs switch over to Season Pass, if it turns out that's going to hurt their bottom line. Run 1,000...see how it goes...and then if its sound, you can sell a one-year Season Pass next December for $149, or just make it $299 for 24 months from whenever you buy it.
    Last edited by droid327; 12-05-2018 at 01:37 PM.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

I like the idea. I like the benefits that you get with it (daily gold rolls is an attractive perk). I like what they're trying to do.

I don't like the price. I'm sure they'll sell out of the 1000 season passes because someone with enough money to throw at the game will decide that they want to pay $50 for two years of daily Gold rolls, but that's not something I'm going to jump on myself.

If they did it at $250, I'd probably do it, but I just can't bring myself to pay all that extra above what VIP currently costs.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    I think this is pretty obviously just an experiment in the "rent-to-own" model. A lot of people complain that they cant purchase permanent content while they're VIP, especially when it goes on sale and stuff. This model would be a middle ground between steady subscription revenue for SSG and permanent account acquisitions for players.

The 1,000 limit, I think, is not about drumming up hype - I think its protecting themselves in case its a bad model. They dont want to commit to it and have all the VIPs switch over to Season Pass, if it turns out that's going to hurt their bottom line. Run 1,000...see how it goes...and then if its sound, you can sell a one-year Season Pass next December for $149, or just make it $299 for 24 months from whenever you buy it.
    I totally get why they are selling it and their intent (you phrased it better then I would) but call it what it is when trying to push it. Trying to pass it off as some type of special "season pass" then benefits everyone is the wrong way to go about it. This method only benefits people who plan to turn off their VIP when the 2 years expires. And until we can determine what those updates cost during the next two years, we are still in the dark if it would really be worth it. This package has no real benefit to those who pay VIP currently and have no intention of going FTP. VIP for life people get an OTTO box and an armor cosmetic. I am not counting the gold roll because its all based on luck. Someone can roll 80% of the time under 20 and get nothing and someone can roll 90+ 50% of the time and feel like a hero.

It sounds like a good deal for someone that is currently a f2p newbie, that was just about to buy all packs/races/classes etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    It sounds like a good deal for someone that is currently a f2p newbie, that was just about to buy all packs/races/classes etc.
    You only get the future updates, not the previous ones. But here (and i'm going to add this to my post above) this is my real solution that fixes everything.

SSG hope you listen because this is a legit way to sell this "Season Pass" that gets everyone involved...and will make you a lot of money, while making us happy.

Leave everything the same/alone except add this, Upon becoming a Season Pass holder your account becomes flagged and will be able to view all previous UPDATE content (races/specs/quest/raids) and during the two year period you will be discounted 30% when purchasing previous content.

This is a WIN WIN. People will get all previous content at a discount and get to keep future content for free. This will allow people to spend more money on previous content (no one wants to let a good sale disappear) and when it expires in 2 years they will have everything and can determine if they want to continue paying VIP. This will also allow people who are ALWAYS VIP to want to buy the package because now..it might be worth it to them to NOT be a VIP member in a few years.

Do this and you can have my 600$ (2 accounts). Which will turn into more like 1000 after I buy all previous content at 30% off (which is less then most of their content sales..so its not like some huge discount).

This also cant be that hard to put into action. Just turn non VIP content to "show" and add a 30% discount to 1000 accounts.

If the armour did not have the left shoulder guard I would be more interested.
    The daily gold rolls are worth $ 400 aprox.
    Honestly I don't think it is a bad deal just tough timing for me.
    Protect the Silver Flame at all costs!

Whale checking in here. I will purchase if still available. I would love if it came with a discount on expansions as well. 10% would be quite nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysun View Post
    You only get the future updates, not the previous ones. But here (and i'm going to add this to my post above) this is my real solution that fixes everything.

SSG hope you listen because this is a legit way to sell this "Season Pass" that gets everyone involved...and will make you a lot of money, while making us happy.

This is a WIN WIN. People will get all previous content at a discount and get to keep future content for free. This will allow people to spend more money on previous content (no one wants to let a good sale disappear) and when it expires in 2 years they will have everything and can determine if they want to continue paying VIP. This will also allow people who are ALWAYS VIP to want to buy the package because now..it might be worth it to them to NOT be a VIP member in a few years.

Very smart stuff here.

I won't spend money but this is good thinking
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight Templar of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist); Parked Toons: Katwoemyn (10), Sabertooth~1 (4), others

The Season Pass is SSG's answer to the frequent requests for an "enhanced" VIP subscription that has been discussed on the forums. I am buying mine on Friday morning.

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

P.S. Alright, read the market page and see paid expansions are not included. So, n/m.
    Last edited by Hafeal; 12-05-2018 at 02:47 PM.
    The evolution of DDO: Stormreach to Eberron Unlimited to Dungeons & Dragons Online
    -1--2 -3 -4 -5--6 -7 -8--9--10 -11-12 13 14! 15 16 years & still spawning kobolds
    From Turbine to SSG, who are the devs anyway? DDO Peeps Tracker

Community Member

Cash-grab much?

Try MOAR better harder next time.

Fix bag sorting by the way

Thanks

I'm just going to quote myself from the other thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    Hubby and I discussed it. The value is there for those of us that are only ever rarely VIP and usually buy content and races. However the timing is dreadful. Beyond dreadful. Had this come out with Black Friday Sales with a couple weeks hype before Black Friday, than the budget would have been there for it. But to pull this out of thin air after money spent on Black Friday. Well its just not feasible for anyone without tons of disposable income.

I agree for people that are always VIP there isn't nearly as much value to this package.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Phantastique - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

my vip runs out next month i was thinking of not having to worry about it for 2 years,l but if it was a little cheaper i would buy it, at 300 it is a no go.
    I think this is a good idea for people that go vip for a month or 2 to build up points to buy packages.
    i have gamed with some of these people that do that.
    to be honest they are frugal women
    good luck getting them to drop 300 on a game they can grind for free.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast