Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Daybreak games..lays off 70 employees during the holidays...

Daybreak Game Company Lays Off 70 Employees

We are optimizing our structure to ensure we best position ourselves for continued success in the years to come. This effort has required us to make some changes within the organization and we are doing everything we can to support those impacted in this difficult time. As we look to improve efficiencies and realign resources, we remain focused on supporting our existing games and development of our future titles.
    Ouch...during the Holidays. I know SSG and Daybreak have a relationship but are separate but this makes me feel like those Season passes on LOTRO and DDO may have some hidden agenda's. Severance checks?

We good SSG? DDO safe?

Interesting. Not one reply of either Doom or Doom denial.

I know it is impossible to know, and there will be no reassurance forthcoming but I wonder how difficult it is to find a new publisher if suddenly needed.

Apparently this is the second round of layoffs at DB this year, there having been one also in April.

What is the connection between Daybreak and SSG? Can you link your sources?

Does this have anything to do with the season pass?
    Lillentle, the smaller Lentle

Quote Originally Posted by lillentle View Post
    What is the connection between Daybreak and SSG? Can you link your sources?

Does this have anything to do with the season pass?
    All I did was google it. Articles everywhere on gaming sites.

SSG is the developer. DBG is the publisher of the game.

Community Member

Maintenance mode when?

All we know is Sev referred to an employee at Daybreak as his boss so it seems the relationship might be more than a simple third-party relationship.
    DC Warlock Reaper Build (U48)
    Max DC Illusionist Reaper Build (U48)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    All we know is Sev referred to an employee at Daybreak as his boss so it seems the relationship might be more than a simple third-party relationship.
    If i had to guess, which is all any of us can do, my guess is ssg is either owned by daybreak, or financed by them.
    My phones auto correct/swype failed grammar school.

They might have to eventually find a different producer given how quickly Daybreak is going down the toilet. Considering it was 90% down the drain to begin with. They're a glorified Russian chop shop. Hopefully SSG had half a brain and kept themselves distant to begin with.

It wasn't hard to read the writing on the wall. DB is heavily reliant on the EQ1 TLP whales. Now that WoW and LOTRO have announced their own retro servers, the novelty of EQ1 TLP is going to wear off fast.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ddo
    Building a Better DDO

Don't worry, if the game goes down, I'll likely be uber rich and meditating deeply to keep my sanity from being so rich... in which case I'll make the owners an offer that will be difficult to refuse (money is so tempting)... then.. oh well a lot might worry, I doubt I'd have time to fully manage it, but could by then hire some player or something to do it for me, then add things like PvP, open map, monsters invading market place, totally random dungeons with random monsters, flying for top builds, mounts for wilderness, pets that scale, and probably focus on new content instead of new quests for a while, then once the content was all smooth and pretty, start adding some really bad ass quests like where flying is a must, epic battles with dragons in the sky, gotta dive into the volcano, or a quest where you have to ride a mount to catch up to mounted monsters and fight on the run, while commanding horse to jump over rocks! I will add fighting from ladders!!!! Flying carpets for those without proper magic but of proper level... I could go on for a bit, but you get the idea. Spears and even... pistols :P Maybe even a time machine that allows you to run over kobolds in a tank!
    (DDO PVP PVE 24/7 options options come check us out better then ever!!!) = (+) Sales
    (DDO PVE only, 10k isn't required, no need to TR 150 times, don't worry) = (-) Scary
    Live large, you are awesome, you are here, you are happening! Sincerely, Proton

Community Member

My personal guess for the season pass was to fund the new expansion. I would very much like to be correct on this

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maldorin View Post
    All I did was google it. Articles everywhere on gaming sites.

SSG is the developer. DBG is the publisher of the game.
    My understanding is also that Daybreak is simply the publisher of LoTRO and DDO, which is a good thing because DBG does not manage their games very well imo.

However, I also found this nugget from back in April:

https://massivelyop.com/2018/04/30/t...e-games-rumor/

So I'm not 100% sure.

It's worth noting that the last round of layoffs at DB had little if any impact on SSG as near as I can tell:

https://www.pcgamer.com/h1z1-publish...ny-cuts-staff/

I'm not worried. SSG and Day Break games are privately held companies, so there are no public shareholders demanding increased profits every year. DDO and LoTRO are pretty stable games that can see mild to moderate spikes in income/profit and use those spikes to employ more people (or when times get rough, lay them off). This is in direct contrast as to when Warner Brothers produced the game. The game was healthy and growing and they STILL cut people because they felt it wasn't growing ENOUGH.

I'm guessing the most expensive part of the producing piece to this game is the licensing fee and conditions set forth by Wizards of the Coast. But that's merely a guess. I suppose voice acting and things like that might fall under production rather than development, but considering the game only exists in the digital realm (no need to produce expensive packaging) and they don't even have DDO point cards anymore like they did when it was owned by WB, I'm not so sure there is a large variety of costs associated with producing the game.

Community Manager

Our road map and development plans remain unchanged.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter YouTube
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Community Member Retired_Old_Gamer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post

IMO if SSG was going to be affected we would have an announcement. As soon as I saw this, (having prior knowledge from articles Ive read) and didnt see anything by staff, I was sure we wouldn't be affected.

The doom-sayers will point to the season pass as a life ring that was tossed in the water. meh

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Open Guild for All Founder - Hardcore

If Daybreak becomes cheap enough, SSG can just outright purchase it...

That is what happened to Marvel, the market went down, and Disney saw a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverleafeon View Post
    If Daybreak becomes cheap enough, SSG can just outright purchase it...

That is what happened to Marvel, the market went down, and Disney saw a good deal.
    Hopefully without similar results. Disney is systematically destroying Marvel.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by simo0208 View Post
    I'm not worried. SSG and Day Break games are privately held companies, so there are no public shareholders demanding increased profits every year. DDO and LoTRO are pretty stable games that can see mild to moderate spikes in income/profit and use those spikes to employ more people (or when times get rough, lay them off). This is in direct contrast as to when Warner Brothers produced the game. The game was healthy and growing and they STILL cut people because they felt it wasn't growing ENOUGH.

I'm guessing the most expensive part of the producing piece to this game is the licensing fee and conditions set forth by Wizards of the Coast. But that's merely a guess. I suppose voice acting and things like that might fall under production rather than development, but considering the game only exists in the digital realm (no need to produce expensive packaging) and they don't even have DDO point cards anymore like they did when it was owned by WB, I'm not so sure there is a large variety of costs associated with producing the game.

Labor is the largest cost for any company.
    My phones auto correct/swype failed grammar school.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by spyder7723 View Post
    Labor is the largest cost for any company.
    Labor is only 7-15% of microchips, so not always true.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Proton View Post
    Don't worry, if the game goes down, I'll likely be uber rich and meditating deeply to keep my sanity from being so rich... in which case I'll make the owners an offer that will be difficult to refuse (money is so tempting)... then.. oh well a lot might worry, I doubt I'd have time to fully manage it, but could by then hire some player or something to do it for me, then add things like PvP, open map, monsters invading market place, totally random dungeons with random monsters, flying for top builds, mounts for wilderness, pets that scale, and probably focus on new content instead of new quests for a while, then once the content was all smooth and pretty, start adding some really bad ass quests like where flying is a must, epic battles with dragons in the sky, gotta dive into the volcano, or a quest where you have to ride a mount to catch up to mounted monsters and fight on the run, while commanding horse to jump over rocks! I will add fighting from ladders!!!! Flying carpets for those without proper magic but of proper level... I could go on for a bit, but you get the idea. Spears and even... pistols :P Maybe even a time machine that allows you to run over kobolds in a tank!
    You should hire me. I have been playing MMO's since 1999 and been playing video games since the old school rob the robot NES days in 1985.

Yes, I am somewhat old.

However, be that as it may - because of my lifelong gaming experience I have foretold many MMO's closing shop and tried to save them before it happened. No one listened to me and they close up shop. Well after before I predicted it and tried to help them prevent it.

As the same for this game. You know, if something happens textbook 5 or 6 times in a row, you sort of get a feel of how things will go, and 'whats coming around the corner'.

I have been warning about this game for about a month and this news plus what they did with the season pass has confirmed my suspicions.
    I can save this game/MMO/title. I would have not allowed several of the design decisions go live, and I believe if I had been there calling the shots, things wouldnt be in the shape they are in right now.

All of you can judge me, because I am just 'some random guy on the internet, who makes occasional inflammatory posts', and that's your choice.
    The fact remains, as far as my track record, I have not been wrong about my predictions or design decisions or suggestions yet.

I have discussed this with people around me, and they too - believe I have been 100% accurate in these things.

If I ever win the powerball jackpot, I will buy the DDO franchise if they will sell it to me, and I will bring it back from the dead and restore it to its former glory.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    What exactly are your road map and development plans? Is there somewhere that this is posted for all to see?

I am not looking for confidential stuff, I just think we all need to know where we all stand with regard to this game.

We are all investors. We are investing not only money into this game so that you can put gas in your car, food on your table, or support someones nasty habit.

We are people, investing both time AND money, into this game. And as such I think we all deserve (as investors) to know, if our time... as well as money, are well vested.

I love playing this game, (most of the time) - so I get enjoyment out of it as 'payment' for time and money invested. But if the game will go a direction that does not see fit with what I have planned with regard to my time and money invested, well I want to know and I am sure others would like to as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast