Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Please remove reaper death - timer

^

It's just annoying really.

If you can't handle the reaper difficulty, you will wipe or have a very rough run without these timers anyway.
    It's just stupid to wait 1 minute ...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Epicstorms View Post
    ^

It's just annoying really.

If you can't handle the reaper difficulty, you will wipe or have a very rough run without these timers anyway.
    It's just stupid to wait 1 minute ...
    I do not agree. It adds to difficulty. Reaper does not need nerfing in difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by MaeveTuohy View Post
    I do not agree. It adds to difficulty. Reaper does not need nerfing in difficulty.
    +1

So no do not remove the timer
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    BoloGrubb / DJGrubb / Gijo
    Proud member of the HighLords of Malkier

/not signed. reaper is meant to be annoying and tough. the object is not to die.

Quote Originally Posted by arkonas View Post
    /not signed. reaper is meant to be annoying and tough. the object is not to die.
    Zactly.

Just feel lucky it isn't perma-death difficulty.

Reaper is the DM trying to kill us - this helps do just that!

What is needed though, is a better way to tell that your allies are on or off of this timer. Trying to raise an ally, only to have it fail with no feedback is not fun!

Something like a cancel sign on the death icon in the party list. It would also help if raise dead spells just plain refused to be cast on inappropriate targets.
    That's not lag, it's just DDO trying to become turn-based again.
    Feature wishlist: colour-coded HP bars; red/blue teams in raids; rez-timer in party menu

Bug report form link

Hey mate, you can actually select the amount of skulls you want, sounds like you’re playing too high for your build/party. If you drop it down to 1 skull there’s barely any reaper death timer!

Seriously though reaper is supposed to be hard, yes it’s annoying and difficult and yes if they removed it it would make it easier, but that’s completely against the point.

If you have to survive by yourself for 30 seconds in r5 to raise everyone then that’s a whole lot harder than being able to raise them instantly.

What were you thinking....
    Lillentle, the smaller Lentle

Just fix the issue of your death timer resetting in quests entered from a slayer area. It’s frustrating as hell.

altough i understand this death timer adds to the dificult of the quest, wich is the purpose of reaper, i would like to see that go away lol

simple, one of the abilities that i used to observe in the players was the "fast ress"
    before reaper, i think the most dificult thing that i use to run was le shroud, and the ability to ressurect players fast was always something to indicate the good players to me lol

but yeah, is true, without the death timer we could complete many runs that we would probably fail otherwise

i just miss the "instant resses" the good healers use to throw me

cya
    blackzombie, madzombie, deviltoy, metatroni, azzallea, zombeast - ORIEN

Quote Originally Posted by LeoLionxxx View Post
    What is needed though, is a better way to tell that your allies are on or off of this timer. Trying to raise an ally, only to have it fail with no feedback is not fun!

Something like a cancel sign on the death icon in the party list. It would also help if raise dead spells just plain refused to be cast on inappropriate targets.
    Although I cannot support the OP's suggestion of removing the death penalty, this suggestion is a "winner."

Hopefully a developer has (or will) read this and see how difficult it would be to add a visual cue for when a "death timer" is present on a soulstone. My initial suggestion would be to turn the soulstone a different color but that would not help those who are colorblind to that particular color. A "cancel" may be the best option.
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    They have been tweaking the game since I started and often I disagree with them. They focus on wrong stuff, over or under compensate and abandon too much stuff. Every once in awhile they get something right, if only temporarily.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    Although I cannot support the OP's suggestion of removing the death penalty, this suggestion is a "winner."

Hopefully a developer has (or will) read this and see how difficult it would be to add a visual cue for when a "death timer" is present on a soulstone. My initial suggestion would be to turn the soulstone a different color but that would not help those who are colorblind to that particular color. A "cancel" may be the best option.
    I don't see it being a needed change. Simple communication from dead party members is all it takes.
    Last edited by spyder7723; 12-08-2018 at 07:36 PM.
    My phones auto correct/swype failed grammar school.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackzombie View Post
    and the ability to ressurect players fast was always something to indicate the good players to me lol

but yeah, is true, without the death timer we could complete many runs that we would probably fail otherwise

i just miss the "instant resses" the good healers use to throw me

hahahahah.

Good healers don't let you die. I have often watched groups let someone die (often over very long time periods) - and then the guy gets a res and says "thank you".

In response to the actual topic - it would be nice if it was more obvious who was on timer.

The whole reaper thing is a lazy developer thing.
    I said it.
    1 - 10 skulls and we just stick a random number of hard to kill undead floaters in there.
    come on.
    1- 10 skull levels...fine with that
    don't populate the dungeon with out of place undead killer bots.
    BE CREATIVE.
    1-10 skull levels + 1 - 10 new and larger (scaled to skull level) dungeon layouts
    tougher traps
    tougher monsters of the same generic type that normally lives there.
    stop being lazy.
    When this game is gone, I will not cry a single tear. It is just part of the circle of life.

I don't have an opinion but I haven't observed the death timer actually making the quests harder. It adds more time to the quest, but not difficulty.
    DC Warlock Reaper Build (U48)
    Max DC Illusionist Reaper Build (U48)

Quote Originally Posted by fatherpirate View Post
    stop being lazy.
    I don't think it's laziness so much as not having people with the proper skillsets. I mean reaper was basically one giant copy/paste job. They copy pasted the enhancement windows (hence why they had warlock icons for like...6 months and the cores work outside reaper mode, etc...). They copy pasted the XP system that's why it's tied to dungeon length, quest difficulty, ransack, etc... The different reapers all use the same model instead of each one getting a cool/unique look. The reaper death timer is just copy pasted from the whachamacallit raid. And so on.

"But Zehnpai...isn't copy pasting laziness?"

Not necessarily. At the heart of all programming is the concept of copy/paste. You can combine different things into one thing to make a new thing that's....okayish. It's just SSG doesn't really have the skill set necessary to bridge out from there.

It'd be like asking me to write a new SAP module for our company when I'm a network engineer. I could feasibly repurpose an existing one, but it would have a lot of missing stuff, probably wouldn't look nice and good luck getting me to support it. We'd either have to hire an SAP engineer who can do that stuff (extremely expensive) or outsource one (also expensive, but less so).

If I recall, Sev has mentioned in the past that sometimes they have to schedule time with an engineer for stuff which leads me to believe that they often employ option #2. And since they end up paying by the hour, they have to prioritize what they want done.

Making reaper better is obviously not high on that list. That's why there isn't much new/unique about it. We had hoped for something that would shift the way we play the game and how we think about it. Like mutations from SC2 co-op mode or Rifts/mapping from D3/PoE. Instead we got "hits harder, have fun!"
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ddo
    Building a Better DDO

Community Member

You can remove it your self, simply stop dying.
    Triple All

Ghallanda forever.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    Zactly.

Just feel lucky it isn't perma-death difficulty.
    Well...

It would be awesome if after dying you had to lesser reincarnate without being able to change anything.

Quote Originally Posted by spyder7723 View Post
    I don't see it being a needed change. Simple communication from dead party members is all it takes.
    Honestly, I don't play Reaper often.
    I didn't run FoT often either, like some players.

It took me awhile to learn this "mechanic" in the game. I remember FoT being easier to recognize when you were on "timer" than Reaper. It probably doesn't help that when I run Reaper I often am Solo/Molo so by time I am ready to receive a rez, the timer is already gone. The first time I actually had to deal with Reaper "death timers" I was in an instance considerably above my characters ability (which the leader was totally fine with as I ran it past him first, he just wanted the company). Since then, it has never been an issue for me but occasionally you find someone who isn't aware of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    They have been tweaking the game since I started and often I disagree with them. They focus on wrong stuff, over or under compensate and abandon too much stuff. Every once in awhile they get something right, if only temporarily.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    Honestly, I don't play Reaper often.
    I didn't run FoT often either, like some players.

It took me awhile to learn this "mechanic" in the game. I remember FoT being easier to recognize when you were on "timer" than Reaper. It probably doesn't help that when I run Reaper I often am Solo/Molo so by time I am ready to receive a rez, the timer is already gone. The first time I actually had to deal with Reaper "death timers" I was in an instance considerably above my characters ability (which the leader was totally fine with as I ran it past him first, he just wanted the company). Since then, it has never been an issue for me but occasionally you find someone who isn't aware of it.

I honestly like the timer because it encourages good team communication instead of 6 people basically soloing. I understand that we will always have players not aware of the timer, but that can be said about many mechanics in the game. Even back when shroud was being run regularly by 90%of the player base every other run we'd get someone screwing things up cause they didn't know what they were doing.
    My phones auto correct/swype failed grammar school.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    I don't have an opinion but I haven't observed the death timer actually making the quests harder. It adds more time to the quest, but not difficulty.
    When characters start dying it puts pressure on the remaining alive toons, as the number of mobs or their hp don't suddenly scale down. This makes the milieu more difficult for them. In addition, it can mean that even more characters start to die leading to a party wipe. Coming back from that using the various mechanisms of in-quest raising is tricky and requires coordination. I consider all these elements to be adding difficulty to quest/raid completion.

I can see that if a group is always running well within their ability, the occasional death may seem largely irrelevant (xp loss aside).
    Last edited by MaeveTuohy; 12-09-2018 at 07:24 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast