Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Keep on the Borderlands!!

Nice!!! This was *the* module that almost all of my campaigns started with and it never got old. I'm hoping they include the surrounding area because it adds depth to the dungeon crawl that the caves give us.

Seems like a wilderness area would be a welcome addition as well. It’s not a lot of XP but I tend not to mind running around in Korthos for example.

Exit, pursued by a bear. ~ William Shakespeare (stage direction from The Winter's Tale)

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

This is nice and all, but I want Expedition to the Barrier Peaks.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Never played Keep on the Borderlands. My D&D set came with Dungeon Module B1 In Search of the Unknown.

"A wise person chooses the right road; a fool takes the wrong one." - Author unknown
    *13598*
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Default It came with my box set

Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    Never played Keep on the Borderlands. My D&D set came with Dungeon Module B1 In Search of the Unknown.

Here is what came in mine:

Last edited by Livmo; 03-05-2019 at 07:46 PM.

I suspect posting the link to that module in PDF format is a copyright violation.

Please consider removing that link in this thread and the other thread in which you posted it.

PS...this is the box I and my brother got.

Last edited by Arkat; 03-05-2019 at 05:03 PM.
    "A wise person chooses the right road; a fool takes the wrong one." - Author unknown
    *13598*
    Hi Welcome

Keep is the first module I ever played. And it taught me a lot about basic character creation (partially because my DM was a stickler for the rules, and having people react like people react...so my incredibly rude level 1 wizard with low Con, after offending half the town, was accidentally killed when a kid threw a rock at the jerk. He never would have survived actually entering the caves.)

The Bashful Balladeer nazgul748's Avatar

I was stoked about Keep on the Borderlands and Isle of Dread. Here's hoping this opens the door for even more classics and my all time favorite Castle Amber!

Community Member

Bree-Yark, Baby.
    Andrialla / Archellus / Kadarin / Mercantile Joe
    Knight of The Silver Legion (Forum name: Rugar)
    Cannith

*Snip*
    PS...this is the box I and my brother got.
    That was the boxed set I got as well in 1980 with the same introductory module you posted above.
    Originally Posted by grodon9999
    "I'm beginning to think a lot of people play this game because it's cheaper than paying for a Dominatrix."
    Disciplines Disciples - 54 Alts on Khyber and counting

Treasure Hunter

I suspect posting the link to that module in PDF format is a copyright violation.

Please consider removing that link in this thread and the other thread in which you posted it.
    I'm not sure whom that folder belongs to, but it's been the top Google search for ages:

Even if I remove the link it's still easy to get. That other site in the results in my image will sell you a watermarked .pdf version for $2.99, but it's doubtful they have a license to do so.

What would really be neato is if someone researched if this is now in the public domain?

Side note, I wanted the box set you got, but got the newer version instead. My feathers were ruffled until we played B2. When people got the Red Box version they were hoping for the 1 I got : ))))))))))

I'll remove the link from your thread since it's borderline and keep the image instead.

EDIT ~ I Internetted some more and found almost all of the old modules online in .pdf free for the taking. One site has most of them as well as all the books, PLUS DM screen. Lots of free on the Internet, wow!
    Last edited by Livmo; 03-05-2019 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fmalfeas View Post
    ... (partially because my DM was a stickler for the rules, and having people react like people react...so my incredibly rude level 1 wizard with low Con, after offending half the town, was accidentally killed when a kid threw a rock at the jerk. He never would have survived actually entering the caves.)
    My very first character was a 1st level Magic User with like 2 or 3 HPs and died very soon after entering the B1 dungeon because a Piercer dropped on him. A Thief was my next character and he lived a LOT longer than my MU.
    *13598*
    Hi Welcome

Community Member

One stormy Christmas, long past, when I was just a wee lad, a 100 years ago - My cool, weird, Wiccan Aunt bought the family the Basic D&D box set that came with B2 Keep on the Borderlands module. She also bought each family member a lead miniature to represent our character, mine was a Dwarf Paladin named Dwarrendale.

That evening she DM'ed our first adventure through the Caves of Chaos and I slayed the Medusa, while the rest of the group was turned to stone - It was the most glorious moment of my young and up to then, uneventful childhood and it spurred me on to a life-long quest for high adventure.

My life was never uneventful again.... At least not in my imagination.

Best.Christmas.Present.Ever.

My cousin and I were the only ones to continue on with D&D after that, and I ended up with the box set as I had the most interest in being a DM. I thoroughly devoured that module and fleshed out the wilderness, turned the mad monk into a recurring villain and added more caves and more monsters. Lots more caves and lots more monsters.

There was an odd tunnel that trailed off the map that was labeled "to the temple of elemental evil" - I didn't know what that "officially" meant at the time, but you bet your bottom Token of the Twelve that I created my own version and ran my cuz through it. We both still prefer my version - lol

From that evening until this very day, every first character I ever made, In every RPG I ever played is a Dwarf Paladin (or the equivalent) named Dwarrendale.

Thanks Aunty Loon, you're the best.

So am I excited to hear Keep is coming to DDO?
    And as a low level alternative to Korthos?

OMG, YES!!!!!

Later that year, Aunty Loon gave me the Advanced D&D Expert box set as a birthday present, which included X1 Isle of Dread.
    Oh, the tales I have of that epic adventure!!!!
    Which will have to wait until Sev gets around to announcing DDO's next expansion after Sharn. (fingers crossed)
    Last edited by MacRighteous; 03-05-2019 at 11:21 PM.

Dangit! And I thought I had finally been left in peace! -- The Hermit
    "Why is stuff so hard?" - William Murderface

Quote Originally Posted by edgarallanpoe View Post
    Nice!!! This was *the* module that almost all of my campaigns started with and it never got old. I'm hoping they include the surrounding area because it adds depth to the dungeon crawl that the caves give us.
    It's not even a month ago that my adventuring group finished playing through that. I am so excited as well!
    Bought my first dungeon master's guide in 1992. My favourite part of ddo is coffee and slayers

I would be happy about this if:

1) they made some modifications to new player experience for retention
    2) they add goblins
    3) the Keep or whatever has bank access
    4) they buff Korthos starter gear
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight Templar of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist); Parked Toons: Katwoemyn (10), Sabertooth~1 (4), others

Treasure Hunter

Default Woot woot!

Quote Originally Posted by MacRighteous View Post
    One stormy Christmas, long past, when I was just a wee lad, a 100 years ago - My cool, weird, Wiccan Aunt bought the family the Basic D&D box set that came with B2 Keep on the Borderlands module. She also bought each family member a lead miniature to represent our character, mine was a Dwarf Paladin named Dwarrendale.

That evening she DM'ed our first adventure through the Caves of Chaos and I slayed the Medusa, while the rest of the group was turned to stone - It was the most glorious moment of my young and up to then, uneventful childhood and it spurred me on to a life-long quest for high adventure.

My life was never uneventful again.... At least not in my imagination.

Best.Christmas.Present.Ever.

My cousin and I were the only ones to continue on with D&D after that, and I ended up with the box set as I had the most interest in being a DM. I thoroughly devoured that module and fleshed out the wilderness, turned the mad monk into a recurring villain and added more caves and more monsters. Lots more caves and lots more monsters.

There was an odd tunnel that trailed off the map that was labeled "to the temple of elemental evil" - I didn't know what that "officially" meant at the time, but you bet your bottom Token of the Twelve that I created my own version and ran my cuz through it. We both still prefer my version - lol

From that evening until this very day, every first character I ever made, In every RPG I ever played is a Dwarf Paladin (or the equivalent) named Dwarrendale.

Thanks Aunty Loon, you're the best.

So am I excited to hear Keep is coming to DDO?
    And as a low level alternative to Korthos?

OMG, YES!!!!!

Later that year, Aunty Loon gave me the Advanced D&D Expert box set as a birthday present, which included X1 Isle of Dread.
    Oh, the tales I have of that epic adventure!!!!
    Which will have to wait until Sev gets around to announcing DDO's next expansion after Sharn. (fingers crossed)
    Thank you for the share!

They gave me lead toys too as a kid! I know right?
    (I had the first AD&D lead miniature box set)

Those were the days when we also got to ride in the back of trucks without seat belts on the way to the toy store to buy Esters paint.

In modern parlance we home brewed Keep oodles of times on the play ground at my school. I wore out many dice on that play ground playing Keep and a few others! I still have the D12 someplace.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Livmo View Post
    I'm not sure whom that folder belongs to, but it's been the top Google search for ages:

Even if I remove the link it's still easy to get.
    EDIT ~ I Internetted some more and found almost all of the old modules online in .pdf free for the taking. One site has most of them as well as all the books, PLUS DM screen. Lots of free on the Internet, wow!
    Just because piracy is easy to get on the internet doesn't mean we should encourage it on the forums of a site officially linked to the company that SHOULD be getting money for people buying that content. We're supposed to be fans - we should support them, not encourage piracy.

I asked for this a while back. More low level quests. Most said we didn't need it for some strange reason. I am very glad we got it.

I have 17 grandchildren. I've been running Korthose longer than all of them have been alive.
    Sometimes I pull one out just to watch it die over and over. That's how much I hate hires.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast