Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Grouping?

  1. #1

    Default Grouping?

    I've just come back to DDO after many years and I'm surprised to see that most people in the game don't group anymore. When I was playing when the game was still new, groups were everywhere. However, now it feels like a solo game. Unfortunately, I only get enjoyment out of playing as a party healer.

    Are there any guilds out there looking for a leveling healer? Or perhaps resources on how to find groups dependably? Not really interested in DDO as a single player game.

  2. #2
    Community Member Nebless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    507

    Default

    While a lot do play solo, with the 'new' Reaper settings groups are a thing again. Are you using the Social tab > LFG part to see what groups need people? Or you can even start your own group and advertise for others.
    Aias Iceforge. Barbarian Ice Dwarf - Khyber

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nebless View Post
    While a lot do play solo, with the 'new' Reaper settings groups are a thing again. Are you using the Social tab > LFG part to see what groups need people? Or you can even start your own group and advertise for others.
    I don't see how only wanting to do the highest difficulty aids in grouping. If anything it just makes the process harder because no one is interested in doing low level missions.

  4. #4
    Community Member C-Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medowin View Post
    I don't see how only wanting to do the highest difficulty aids in grouping. If anything it just makes the process harder because no one is interested in doing low level missions.
    There's a strong argument there, but here's what's going on...

    For a long time, "self-healing" became a popular thing to throw into re-vamped enhancement trees. Now, almost any build can self-heal if they choose to. Reaper, however, severely nerfs self-healing, so once again groups (in Reaper only) find they rely more and more on a party healer (or a hired one, and GL w/ that! )

    Reaper is undeniably chaotic and brutal when you first try it, but there are tricks and tactics to it that make it merely "challenging", in a good way. If you like an intense questing experience - if, otoh, you like to flower sniff or just be mellow when you quest, then that's an entirely diff matter, natch.

    And there are still (some) Normal/Hard LFM's on the boards - start one, and they will come.

  5. #5
    Grand Panjandrum Alisonique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medowin View Post
    I've just come back to DDO after many years and I'm surprised to see that most people in the game don't group anymore. When I was playing when the game was still new, groups were everywhere. However, now it feels like a solo game. Unfortunately, I only get enjoyment out of playing as a party healer.

    Are there any guilds out there looking for a leveling healer? Or perhaps resources on how to find groups dependably? Not really interested in DDO as a single player game.
    There are groups out there that use/need healers, just that many of them are guild groups who all play together. You dont say which server you are on, if on G'land come and have a look at "Tyrs Paladium" and you will get a friendly mob who DO put out lfms and do also run guild groups. You would be welcome and we can always use another healer.(some of us more than others )
    TYRS PALADIUM.....Officer. If you think there must be more to the game than pugging, come on and joinTYRS! Willibold Fighter/Wilibold monk /Tooflower monkftr/rogue /Hesteban fvs /Machiavehli druid/ Commabayou bard /Greenbolts ranger/Dramoh arti /Dragbat bard /Covemonster Paladin/A Pherzackerly wizard/Asimovsbayne barb/Pardoner/Cottelettedporc cleric/ftr /

  6. #6
    Community Member lyrecono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medowin View Post
    I've just come back to DDO after many years and I'm surprised to see that most people in the game don't group anymore. When I was playing when the game was still new, groups were everywhere. However, now it feels like a solo game. Unfortunately, I only get enjoyment out of playing as a party healer.

    Are there any guilds out there looking for a leveling healer? Or perhaps resources on how to find groups dependably? Not really interested in DDO as a single player game.
    You must have been gone for a whille.

    People a spread over a larger content and use third party chat programs (discord seems popular) or in game chat channels to form a group. Been like that since MotU.

    The powergap and elitist attitude functions as a divider and polarised the community a decade ago.

    Ad in a devicive new setting called reaper and the playerbase segregates even more.

    With power ballance issues, class&paystyle favoritism from the devs and a small % of the playerbase constantly asking for more power and more challange, the game lost the build diversity it used to have.
    It's all about numbers, the general endgame consencus is that your toon has to have numbers this high for you to join.
    Meaning you see only a small amount of builds bein played. Wich led to frustrated players leaving or stop grouping and only running with a sellect few.

    Whille people could always start alts, the amount of pastlife grind in this game got out of hand, the devs keep raising the enemy stats, assuming we all have all the past lives. So the people demanded more and it backfired, reaper mode was supposed to be a challenge but more then half of that could be evaded by having the right playstyle(and the reaper enh favori g certain playstyles, mking low reaper easier then elite for them) and to make maters worse, the devs in their "wisdom" connected a set of enh trees and a exp grind to reaper mode, making it manditory to run it, just to keep up.
    Devicive indeed.
    Another tool to boost the sale of exp potions

    Anyway:
    The drop of people will get worse now summer (on the northern hemisphere) is on the doorstep. We usually see less people online during that time.

    My best advice would be, think hard and long before investing a lot of time and money in ddo
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    I play a guy with a two-hander not just in this game, but in every game that has 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-mann View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but then can you make 2hf NOT suck so much compared to 2wf or swf?
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    8 pages in, that train has already sailed. The dead horse is canned into cat food by now.

  7. #7
    Community Member Oliphant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,215

    Default

    In addition to the segmentations described above, they have made End Game pretty viable as a place to park, yet another segmentation away from your leveling playstyle. Consider working toward Level 30, getting Sharn Expansion and just parking at 30 for a while as a healer. The good news for you is healing is the one and only function a rusty toon can handle in End Game reaper. End Game reaper you say??? Hear me out. At End Game, reaper experience is pretty good, so good that you earn way more permanent power from getting decent reaper experience than you would from grinding past lives, and more importantly, people can really use the help of a healer in those tough reaper battles. Healing others always works, no matter the diff, but self healing is brutally nerfed. Reaper players need exactly what you offer! I recommend getting Sharn because you will find plenty of groups playing Sharn at Level 30 and you will get a waterfall of some of the best gear in the game. Just an option to consider...
    Please consider the environment before printing this post

  8. #8
    Community Member Oliphant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,215

    Default

    Also, on the way to 30 you will find a healthy community of folks playing EN dailies, quests that are quick and easy XP that people do on EN difficulty so they can fly through them, often separating and doing things non-linearly for speed. The good thing about EN dailies is it provides a very simple script to get a party going and keep the party moving doing quests and not standing around deciding what to do. I can only really speak to Ghallanda though.
    Please consider the environment before printing this post

  9. #9
    Community Member lyrecono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2,652

    Default

    Healers are rarer than unicorns here, only a handfull of them are parked at cap and are only logged into when of timer and when their mates twist their arms.


    Oh there are an unhealthy amount of melee divine healers(about 2-4), especialy maul clerics and druid bears around but actuall healers? Nope, not even after a few people on the forum kept saying the changes to cleric would bring back healers.....
    Pfffff......
    It's one of the many bad calls the devs made, trying to force people to party up but spend more effort in turning casterclasses into melees and let the actual melee classes rot.

    So don't take that advice unless you want to spend the entire quest staging far back because 1stray hit will kill you,
    Listen to the complaints about your low healing spellpower and spell points,
    Get blacklisted for being too weak for content, booted for another her ranged/spellcaster,
    Sit at cap wondering why you spend all that effort trekking through broken content and still not getting into groups.

    Aka don't play a first life cleric at cap.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    I play a guy with a two-hander not just in this game, but in every game that has 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-mann View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but then can you make 2hf NOT suck so much compared to 2wf or swf?
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    8 pages in, that train has already sailed. The dead horse is canned into cat food by now.

  10. #10
    Community Member Oliphant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,215

    Default

    Sigh. I totally see lyrecono's point. The strategy has worked for my buddy but he has me doing decent end game damage with my Inquisitive to make sure we can do some needed killing. However, he is first life and we click on lfms all the time and no one has ever denied him entry and I've only seen folks shet on him a few rare times - he's been doing pretty good. Sadly people can be judgmental. They won't always think a healer is as useful as one more self healing killer. However, I think they are wrong and they often do even know how many times they get their butts saved by someone helping with some heals in reaper. One thing to keep in mind is if you try it, you have options: you can play easier diff until you have more gear and feel for the social game or you could just do quick TR. Level 30 is the end if you play that game or simply the door to the next beginning. Good luck!
    Please consider the environment before printing this post

  11. #11
    Community Member Oliphant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,215

    Default

    p.s. I should also mention that folks tend to run full speed through those EN dailies so that may not be fun for the healer...

    If you are on Ghallanda would be happy to run with you. I am Yosefi.
    Please consider the environment before printing this post

  12. #12

    Default

    Thanks for the replies! It sounds as though DDO generally isn't much of a leveling game anymore but more of a game where you should race to the level cap by yourself then try for reaper groups. Kind of reminds me of modern World of Warcraft. Is being a pure healer cleric really viable though for leveling? How long would it take me to level as a solo pure healer?

  13. #13
    Community Member lyrecono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medowin View Post
    Thanks for the replies! It sounds as though DDO generally isn't much of a leveling game anymore but more of a game where you should race to the level cap by yourself then try for reaper groups. Kind of reminds me of modern World of Warcraft. Is being a pure healer cleric really viable though for leveling? How long would it take me to level as a solo pure healer?
    Soloing a healer to cap? No fun at all since most quests require you to kill mobs to progress.
    A blasting warlock would most likely be better, since blast dc's don't matter too much during heroic leveling.
    There are good hybrid healer builds out there but they are proberbly not new player friendly
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    I play a guy with a two-hander not just in this game, but in every game that has 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-mann View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but then can you make 2hf NOT suck so much compared to 2wf or swf?
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    8 pages in, that train has already sailed. The dead horse is canned into cat food by now.

  14. #14
    Community Member C-Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lyrecono View Post
    Soloing a healer to cap? No fun at all since most quests require you to kill mobs to progress.
    A blasting warlock would most likely be better, since blast dc's don't matter too much during heroic leveling.
    There are good hybrid healer builds out there but they are proberbly not new player friendly
    You don't need to be a "pure healer" to heal really well in Epic, don't need every last spell possible. Mass Heal and True Resurrection (and, meanwhile, Implosion) are awesome, no doubt, but you can easily get away with less and still save the party's bacon reliably. Which gives you room for Fighter or Pali 3 for some added offense/defense, and maybe even some knee-deep addition beyond that. Cleric 15, mebbe? (w/ 3-4 Pali, 1-2 Fighter?? Trades off DC's/spells/caster level/spell points for survivability, so ymmv.)


    Or... if your characters are old enough, you might have been given a free +20 Heart of Wood - level up to 16-20 with something fast (and pure(-ish) class?), then do a massive swap to Cleric or FS (still w/ room for that splash) and you're good to go. (Creative splashes will take a little more planning, but if done right can still be handled w/ a single +20.)

    (Altho' the best healers are not 1st-life - at least 1 quick(!) TR for a 34 point build and the PL goodness of your choice. And farming a little gear won't hurt the next/last life.)


    If(!) you don't want to splash, here is what some consider a benchmark for pure offensive healers:

    o Axel's THF Cleric build (watch the vid, talks about tradeoffs of splashing/etc.)

    See also: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5759353 (for both Clerics and Favored Souls. And don't miss the "custom" links at bottom of first post, to scan for something interesting, or post your own request!)

  15. #15
    Community Member lyrecono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    You don't need to be a "pure healer" to heal really well in Epic, don't need every last spell possible. Mass Heal and True Resurrection (and, meanwhile, Implosion) are awesome, no doubt, but you can easily get away with less and still save the party's bacon reliably. Which gives you room for Fighter or Pali 3 for some added offense/defense, and maybe even some knee-deep addition beyond that. Cleric 15, mebbe? (w/ 3-4 Pali, 1-2 Fighter?? Trades off DC's/spells/caster level/spell points for survivability, so ymmv.)


    Or... if your characters are old enough, you might have been given a free +20 Heart of Wood - level up to 16-20 with something fast (and pure(-ish) class?), then do a massive swap to Cleric or FS (still w/ room for that splash) and you're good to go. (Creative splashes will take a little more planning, but if done right can still be handled w/ a single +20.)

    (Altho' the best healers are not 1st-life - at least 1 quick(!) TR for a 34 point build and the PL goodness of your choice. And farming a little gear won't hurt the next/last life.)


    If(!) you don't want to splash, here is what some consider a benchmark for pure offensive healers:

    o Axel's THF Cleric build (watch the vid, talks about tradeoffs of splashing/etc.)

    See also: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5759353 (for both Clerics and Favored Souls. And don't miss the "custom" links at bottom of first post, to scan for something interesting, or post your own request!)
    Because 3 levels of paladin or fighter barely add melee damage to a cleric, the stance is ok i guess, saves are nice too but nothing in that suggestion adds enough dps to solo to 30 on a first lifer, even slayerzones become a drag in epics.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    I play a guy with a two-hander not just in this game, but in every game that has 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-mann View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but then can you make 2hf NOT suck so much compared to 2wf or swf?
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    8 pages in, that train has already sailed. The dead horse is canned into cat food by now.

  16. #16
    Community Member C-Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,693

    Default

    First, gotta OT comment - you don't need to "quote" if you're posting immediately after the post you're responding to. AND cutting a long quote down to focus on what you're responding to also helps readers. Only takes a moment, avoids unnecessary WoT syndrome.

    Like this...

    Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    You don't need to be a "pure healer"... Fighter or Pali 3 for some added offense/defense, and maybe even some knee-deep addition beyond that. Cleric 15, mebbe? (w/ 3-4 Pali, 1-2 Fighter?? Trades off DC's/spells/caster level/spell points for survivability, so ymmv.)
    Quote Originally Posted by lyrecono View Post
    Because 3 levels of paladin or fighter barely add melee damage to a cleric, the stance is ok i guess, saves are nice too but nothing in that suggestion adds enough dps to solo to 30 on a first lifer, even slayerzones become a drag in epics.
    The dps add is indeed minimal, but +25 PRR (and a little AC/etc) is a significant boost to survivability. Add that to the Pali's Saves boost, and it's a tradeoff many consider attractive.

    More, OP said they enjoyed healing for groups, nothing about soloing.

    But, as I said, ymmv.

  17. #17
    Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oliphant View Post
    p.s. I should also mention that folks tend to run full speed through those EN dailies so that may not be fun for the healer...
    This phenomenon is not limited to DDO.
    Zerging is what I almost exclusively saw / see in SWTOR.
    No-one stops to look at the work the devs did, honestly.
    It could be a grey tunnel without any kinds of colours as well, and people would still mindlessly zerg it, not looking left, not looking right.

    Quote Originally Posted by lyrecono View Post
    No fun at all since most quests require you to kill mobs to progress.
    This constand "kill this, kill that, kill that over there, kill that here, oh, and kill that overseas, too" is what made me drive away from RPGs in general.
    Thanks to Blizzard, most RPGs / MMOs appear to be killgames ( read Action-RPGs ) these days.

    For a story player like me, this kind of killfest is utterly boring. I just don't want or need adrenaline.
    Last edited by Alrik_Fassbauer; 05-23-2019 at 02:58 PM.
    "You are a Tiefling. And a Cleric, with the Domain of the Sun. Doesn't that contradict each other ?" "No, all my friends are playing evil. I found that so boring that I decided to be on the good side. And, besides, Sun and Fire, where is the difference, really ?"

  18. #18
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel
    axel15810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,037

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medowin View Post
    I've just come back to DDO after many years and I'm surprised to see that most people in the game don't group anymore. When I was playing when the game was still new, groups were everywhere. However, now it feels like a solo game. Unfortunately, I only get enjoyment out of playing as a party healer.

    Are there any guilds out there looking for a leveling healer? Or perhaps resources on how to find groups dependably? Not really interested in DDO as a single player game.
    Groups exist, but they are more sparse and you have to put in more effort to find them regularly. To find people try DDO Discord, talking to people on your server in PUGs and asking if they are recruiting/accepting new members, try the server forums or create a static group yourself by posting on the forums and asking for people to join you. But the days of soley relying on the LFM panel and almost always being able to get a level appropriate group are unfortunately, gone for the most part.

    As far as playing a healer, play a melee divine or a caster divine. Groups will be happy to have you. Plenty of builds on the class forums. If you're first life you won't exactly be tearing up Reaper mode but you'll do fine in the standard modes and probably can hold your own on the lower reapers with a group as well if you build and gear well...especially after you get some reaper points.

    I don't recommend a pure healer only cleric though. You can, but it's not optimal and honestly it is really boring because much of the time people won't need your healing and you'll have nothing to do. You can build any cleric to also kill things and still be a great party healer so no reason to only build to heal. So again, look to build either a melee/healer or an offensive caster/healer.
    Last edited by axel15810; 05-23-2019 at 03:36 PM.

  19. #19
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post
    This phenomenon is not limited to DDO.
    Zerging is what I almost exclusively saw / see in SWTOR.
    No-one stops to look at the work the devs did, honestly.
    It could be a grey tunnel without any kinds of colours as well, and people would still mindlessly zerg it, not looking left, not looking right.
    I'm sure you're right, overall. Sadly, it's baked into the system. Whether Diablo, SWTOR, DDO, or many others, there's repetition after repetition after repetition of the same content.

    As I've said in other posts, FOR ME: Pass 1 of a quest? I smell the flowers. Pass 2? Wiki. Pass 3+? Exactly as you said.

    For DDO (I'm sure I got the numbers wrong, but, as a ballpark) there's...

    Racial Past lives : 3 tiers x 12 races = 36 runs.
    Heroic Past Lives : 3 tiers x 14 classes = 42 runs.
    Iconic Past Lives : 3 tiers x 7 races = 21 runs (BUT... potentially shaves off 21 Heroics runs)
    Epic Past Lives : 3 tiers x 12 spheres = 36 runs.

    Assuming you do Iconics first, again, unless my math is wrong, you get a total of
    57 L1-20 runs, 21 L15-30 runs and 36 L20-30 runs. And that's assuming you delay your heroic runs to be "efficient" with iconic ones. If not, due to $ or preference, that's 21 extra runs.

    I'm autistic... and that's beyond me to care what the walls look like at that point. Heck, I got a terrible computer, so if they did the "Stick Figure Everquest" joke (look it up) for mob graphics and a "Wizardry 1" wall texture... I'd go for it if it gave me faster response times.
    Last edited by Dalris_Thane; 05-23-2019 at 07:47 PM.

  20. #20
    Community Member lyrecono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    First, gotta OT comment - you don't need to "quote" if you're posting immediately after the post you're responding to. AND cutting a long quote down to focus on what you're responding to also helps readers. Only takes a moment, avoids unnecessary WoT syndrome.

    Like this....
    Hard on a phone, standing up in a poorly lit, overcrowded public transport cart but i will try.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post
    This phenomenon is not limited to DDO.
    Zerging is what I almost exclusively saw / see in SWTOR.
    No-one stops to look at the work the devs did, honestly.
    It could be a grey tunnel without any kinds of colours as well, and people would still mindlessly zerg it, not looking left, not looking right.



    This constand "kill this, kill that, kill that over there, kill that here, oh, and kill that overseas, too" is what made me drive away from RPGs in general.
    Thanks to Blizzard, most RPGs / MMOs appear to be killgames ( read Action-RPGs ) these days.

    For a story player like me, this kind of killfest is utterly boring. I just don't want or need adrenaline.
    How interesting is that story after a decade and 300+ past lives?
    The grind is so large now that keeping a stable of toons at cap whille maxed out on lives is pretty time and resource consuming.
    I have a limited time to play and exp pots cost money.
    Zerging makes the best us of both.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dalris_Thane View Post
    I'm sure you're right, overall. Sadly, it's baked into the system. Whether Diablo, SWTOR, DDO, or many others, there's repetition after repetition after repetition of the same content.

    As I've said in other posts, FOR ME: Pass 1 of a quest? I smell the flowers. Pass 2? Wiki. Pass 3+? Exactly as you said.

    For DDO (I'm sure I got the numbers wrong, but, as a ballpark) there's...

    Racial Past lives : 3 tiers x 12 races = 36 runs.
    Heroic Past Lives : 3 tiers x 14 classes = 42 runs.
    Iconic Past Lives : 3 tiers x 7 races = 21 runs (BUT... potentially shaves off 21 Heroics runs)
    Epic Past Lives : 3 tiers x 12 spheres = 36 runs.

    Assuming you do Iconics first, again, unless my math is wrong, you get a total of
    57 L1-20 runs, 21 L15-30 runs and 36 L20-30 runs. And that's assuming you delay your heroic runs to be "efficient" with iconic ones. If not, due to $ or preference, that's 21 extra runs.

    I'm autistic... and that's beyond me to care what the walls look like at that point. Heck, I got a terrible computer, so if they did the "Stick Figure Everquest" joke (look it up) for mob graphics and a "Wizardry 1" wall texture... I'd go for it if it gave me faster response times.
    Agreed, to many past lives required to keep up with the top tier endgame crowd.

    Mostly because the devs keep slippingng on the ballance, thinking that every toon is a uber completionist.
    Last edited by lyrecono; 05-24-2019 at 05:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    I play a guy with a two-hander not just in this game, but in every game that has 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-mann View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but then can you make 2hf NOT suck so much compared to 2wf or swf?
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    8 pages in, that train has already sailed. The dead horse is canned into cat food by now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload