Community Member

Default Some ideas on Summons

I was thinking about summons. I like to summon a critter now and then.
    I was thinking DDO could make more money off me and other players by giving us more options with summoned critters.
    I do have all the special gold seal hirelings, but they do take a spot in the party.
    Summons do not take a place in the party, but are fun also.
    I was thinking that DDO could make some items for the DDO store to make summons more fun.
    First would be items, that if worn when the critter is summoned, the critter is better. Like Rodrics wand (hope that's the name, doing that from memory).
    But these items could be better, like give a special ability to the critter.
    Also you could have items, that if worn while you have a summoned critter active, you and the critter get something special.
    Then you could have items that summon a special critter, that is better then the normal summons.
    Maybe even have an item that summons a critter that is your same level. So when you go up level so does the summon.
    It could turn into a collectors thing like the pets are.
    I would spend DDO points on this (I would spend cash even).
    Imagine a summoned critter that give the whole party the shield spell, that would be welcome in most groups.
    Or say a summoned critter that gave each player 2 mp and 2 sp. I think that would sell.
    Or a summoned critter that cast charm on random mobs.

I think this would be cool, and make money for DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tianie View Post
    I was thinking about summons. I like to summon a critter now and then.
    I was thinking DDO could make more money off me and other players by giving us more options with summoned critters.
    <snip>
    I think this would be cool, and make money for DDO.
    There would be a lot of ways for SSG to get money from my wallet. Making Summons viable throughout 1 through 30 would easily have me spending my money. Heck, 1 through 20 could probably have me spending my money too.

Summons and unique Hirelings would be effective ways to gain money from players. Maybe they should start a Kickstarter with stretch goals if they are worried about funding
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    They have been tweaking the game since I started and often I disagree with them. They focus on wrong stuff, over or under compensate and abandon too much stuff. Every once in awhile they get something right, if only temporarily.

Problem is the AI, having said that I always wanted to make a summoner built...

Community Member

It would be cool to have a belt with slots.
    One slot to say what critter is summoned.
    Say 3 slots of abilities for the critter.
    And 2 slots for things for the player.
    And have the augments drop in chests and such

Community Member

AI needs an improvement, yeah

The other big dealbreaker is balance and growth. Summons multiply any bonus you get by however many summons you have. So usually (in other games with summoner chars), summoners start off really weak, with an army of pointless minions that all die to one well-placed AOE....but then end up grossly OP, once all their minions have been so powered up that even the "trash mook" minions are god-tier. Especially if they can start synergizing with each other, like a buffer minion or a healer minion.

This is especially acute in DDO, where power creep is already such a problem even for characters where bonuses are additive, not multiplicative. Even if you managed to make summoners balanced right now, how would you continue to grow them in the future so they could feel like they're still progressing, but not let them pull too far ahead of other builds? Every time you give them a new buff, a new item, a new boost in stats...its much more powerful than if you gave it to a fighter or a sorc. Every time you give them a new summon, they get exponentially better.

And then lastly, again this is especially acute in DDO, server load is a concern. Pathing is one of the biggest burdens on the server - thats partially why Dungeon Alert exists, so the server doesnt have to path a huge swarm of mobs chasing you as you blitz through the dungeon. Summoners, by nature, will have huge pathing loads at all times, and that could lead to increased lag and connection issues.
    Last edited by droid327; 07-25-2019 at 12:15 PM.

I would be happy with summons that scale to my caster level. Augment Summons then would add it's bonuses to make the summoned creature have some sort of relevance and be a bit hardier.

Also, let summons stay summoned until dispelled or dead.
    In DDO terms, "[x] Pass" means "[x] Changes" not "[x] Improvements"

THANK YOU SO MUCH

Community Member

Any improvements to summons would be cool, but the main thought is adding special summons to the DDO store.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by salmag View Post
    I would be happy with summons that scale to my caster level. Augment Summons then would add it's bonuses to make the summoned creature have some sort of relevance and be a bit hardier.
    This for the love of all that is holy. It would make sense for all but the ninth level summons to have a level cap, so you don't see folks running around with level 30 spiders and rats (although I'm not entirely sure that would be a bad thing). But this would help out with a lot of problems that summons have. For example, the Ranger summoned animals would no longer primarily be cosmetic options . . .

Community Member

Even without the AI fix, if Augment Summoning gave some sort of scaling buff, I'd be immensely happy.

Something like adding part of my universal spell power to anything I summon's PRR, MRR, MP, RP and spell power.
    Make it work on pets and hires, but not on charms, as those are already plenty strong.

I said "universal" because I know this should limit how much can be attained, while still being relevant.

It might not get summons' damage up to player level, or even near it, but might just make that summoned Succubus survive a fight on R1, which, because summons are aggro magnets, might be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by yfernbottom View Post
    This for the love of all that is holy. It would make sense for all but the ninth level summons to have a level cap, so you don't see folks running around with level 30 spiders and rats (although I'm not entirely sure that would be a bad thing). But this would help out with a lot of problems that summons have. For example, the Ranger summoned animals would no longer primarily be cosmetic options . . .
    Dont see why there cant be a roll for a spider lord or rat lord or spider king or rat king, like red names of that level, much stronger, example rat is level 1-5, red named prob around level 7-10, since you already level 9 summoning, there isnt a reason why you cant "force" lower level to cough up high ranking summons.