Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wings > Mounts

Community Member

Default Wings > Mounts

Seems more DDO-like, with a greater focus on enhancing the individual. We already have some form of aesthetic wings, and now that there's an expressed need for greater movespeed in the wilderness and public areas...

Wings. I want wings.

You know how monks get flaming wings when they do their reincarnation voodoo? That's the coolest.

Horses are okay. Maybe I'm scared of change, maybe I'll just miss the non-mounted character models in our small public instances...

So anyway, wings.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drachmoril View Post
    Seems more DDO-like, with a greater focus on enhancing the individual. We already have some form of aesthetic wings, and now that there's an expressed need for greater movespeed in the wilderness and public areas...

Wings. I want wings.

You know how monks get flaming wings when they do their reincarnation voodoo? That's the coolest.

Horses are okay. Maybe I'm scared of change, maybe I'll just miss the non-mounted character models in our small public instances...

So anyway, wings.
    It can be a cosmetic mount skin. Mechanically, its all the same, I would imagine...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    It can be a cosmetic mount skin. Mechanically, its all the same, I would imagine...
    I like the way you think.

DEVS!

Cordovan!

Hear me!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by The_Human_Cypher View Post
    Touché.

Community Member

Actually. I like mounts over wings. DDO is sick with an over abundance of magic... something as mundane as a mount is interesting instead of just teleporting everywhere all the time because: hahaha what are limited resources? I've got magic distilled in my toenail clippings.

I'd love to see a cataclysm that decimates the magic in DDO. Powerful items are struck down to reasonable levels, old items become relevant again without changing them. +20 to a stat, I don't think so. Level 20 items being +6 or very special +7 (crafted 1 less than typical named). Scroll/potion vendors are running out and prices rising as demand increases and it becomes harder to make them. I know it can't happen because it's too much to change, but it could be amazing for char vs content balance (with appropriate changes to overtuned content), and really fun if it was done as a world event where we have to stop the total failure of all magic before it's too late, culminating in a raid where you are under disjunction the whole time.
    Last edited by Cantor; 10-24-2019 at 08:13 AM.

Community Manager

Never say never, but the core issue of why not on fly (or flying mounts) remains: A lot of the content in the game isn't really set up for that kind of verticality, and if you actually do get up there, you start to see some of the immersion-breaking realities of game development. "Just add ceilings to everything" isn't a very viable solution.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter YouTube
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Never say never, but the core issue of why not on fly (or flying mounts) remains: A lot of the content in the game isn't really set up for that kind of verticality, and if you actually do get up there, you start to see some of the immersion-breaking realities of game development. "Just add ceilings to everything" isn't a very viable solution.
    How about very small wings or very well fed mounts so they can't fly too high?

Like Cordovan said, it's the same reason we don't have the levitate and fly spells: the game wasn't designed for vertical movement other than ladders and what you can physically jump to. There would be many quests that would absolutely break or even become unable to be completed if we were able to fly.
    Primary Home: Argonnessen
    Also known as: Archarias, Ishtaris, Arthies, Artharias, Astanius, and Fidgity.
    "Elder brains are a lot like bouncy castles. They just sit there, but if you jump up and down on them, things get interesting real quick." ~FlimsyFirewood

and if you actually do get up there, you start to see some of the immersion-breaking realities of game development.

Community Member

I solidly agree. What I mean was more in the realm of increased mobility - we already have visual hovering with wraiths / Jack Jibbers. We already have super-jumps like with favored souls and monks.

My conception of wings was almost "a wing version of mounts." (It's almost entirely an aesthetic want). Basically, the character has visual wings and appears to be hovering (or, if actually elevated a few feat, flying / beating wings) and can move mount-speed / potentially boost forward periodically.

If you want wings, play Aion. DDO really can't support any kind of flight at all with the way the zones are setup. Serious fundamental game changes would be required for every single zone. At best, it would only be able to work in a few small new areas.

It's definitely extremely fun when it's integral to the game and done well, but sadly, it's just not for DDO.

BTW, Aion does have warts, such as being gear-driven for open PvP -- not fun when you're on top or on bottom of the curve , but the middle ground is awesome. I've heard it's gone F2P and become seriously P2W, too. Had fun, but glad to be out before that hit.

Amazing art in that game. Here's a link to Aion wings in action. This is a 2008 game, btw (compare it's graphics with DDO's).

Minecraft has flight and height limit, but DDO can't!
    Tsc
    No Signature...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bjond View Post
    If you want wings, play Aion. DDO really can't support any kind of flight at all with the way the zones are setup. Serious fundamental game changes would be required for every single zone. At best, it would only be able to work in a few small new areas.

It's definitely extremely fun when it's integral to the game and done well, but sadly, it's just not for DDO.

BTW, Aion does have warts, such as being gear-driven for open PvP -- not fun when you're on top or on bottom of the curve , but the middle ground is awesome. I've heard it's gone F2P and become seriously P2W, too. Had fun, but glad to be out before that hit.

Amazing art in that game. Here's a link to Aion wings in action. This is a 2008 game, btw (compare it's graphics with DDO's).
    I'll be honest, I'm pretty much just suggesting "slightly tall, invisible mount with a beating wings texture."

A Rifts group I played in had a GM who was of the firm belief that if you flew you were seen by something bigger. Much bigger. What that was might be a dragon or an elder god. No matter how strong you were on the ground you did not want to be the clay pigeon in that trap chute.
    In all posts: Assume I'm just providing a personal opinion rather than trying to speak for everyone.
    *All posts should be taken as humorously intended and if you are struggling to decide if I insulted you; I didn't.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jerevth View Post
    A Rifts group I played in had a GM who was of the firm belief that if you flew you were seen by something bigger. Much bigger. What that was might be a dragon or an elder god. No matter how strong you were on the ground you did not want to be the clay pigeon in that trap chute.
    I like the thought. Reminds me of the Lovecraft quote:

“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.”

Community Member

Too many of the replies seems to think wings means flying vertically. We already have wings in the game and they don't do anything vertical. Just visually put wings on the character and have them move as fast as a mount. Bonus points of the wings make you hover slightly off the ground (but still no vertical movement and the jump button would work just as it normally does).

The request for wings was not a request for vertical flight. It was a request to move quickly without all these obnoxious horses everywhere (I can only imagine how ridiculous taverns and the crafting halls are going to be with this update).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by erethizon View Post
    Too many of the replies seems to think wings means flying vertically. We already have wings in the game and they don't do anything vertical. Just visually put wings on the character and have them move as fast as a mount. Bonus points of the wings make you hover slightly off the ground (but still no vertical movement and the jump button would work just as it normally does).

The request for wings was not a request for vertical flight. It was a request to move quickly without all these obnoxious horses everywhere (I can only imagine how ridiculous taverns and the crafting halls are going to be with this update).
    but wouldn't the floor covered in puup emojis be the best?
    Last edited by Pyed-Pyper; 10-26-2019 at 12:30 AM. Reason: ****

Quote Originally Posted by erethizon View Post
    visually put wings on the character and have them move as fast
    Ah, that's certainly very easy to do, but suspect won't happen. Doing so might dilute the "bling" effect of earning your reaper wings. I don't really care for that particular cosmetic myself, but I'd likely turn it on anyway to let others know that character was high-reaper ready.

OTH, one of my absolutely favorite parts of ANY game are movement skills: leaps, pulls, and throws seriously liven the game up for me and are a huge draw. I love the abundant-step style leaps in this game and always try to include one in a build if I can finagle it for a few extra AP (sadly, rarely possible).

Here's a thought: add a racial leap to every race.

• C1 or T1: only works in town with instant refresh.
    • T2: works in wilderness, fast refresh
    • T3: dungeons, 15s CD.

Give the artists a bit of license on making each leap esthetically appropriate to each race. I'd definitely like that a LOT more than a mount of any kind. If SSG badly wants to monetize it, sell cheap/moderate/costly point versions of the above that adds a race-themed leap to your character permanently. Want an even bigger draw for people to buy? Sell a v.costly account-wide unlock for those leaps.

BTW, if I were to add such a thing, I'd give every character all 3 leaps at say level 6, 12, & 18 and then only charge for the artistic fluffy racial-themed ones.

Community Member

Maybe we'd be satisfied with just flying effect as we have hovering effect. the low height of hovering/flight is enough for me as some of flying creatures do - especially bats or Malicia the Succubus who can't fly high. We might have perma featherfall and special falling animation if we have wingz.
    Ghallanda Server
    Dragant, Palescale, Glimmerspell, Scalefavor
    Officer of DDO Korea Unlimited

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast