Default Mounts - questions and suggestions.

With the announcement that mounts are coming to DDO, I have a few questions (with suggestions).

Will mounts eventually become pets?
    What I mean by this is, currently they take up an inventory space. But from what we have seen, they are really nothing more than a pet that has a minor travel bonus attached to it. I understand that classifying them as pets means that they would take the spot of an existing pet, meaning less out at a time, however this would free up inventory which is a premium commodity in DDO.

Will there be variants of mounts?
    I'm not just talking cosmetics (Nightmares, Unicorns, Dinosaurs, etc.) but capabilities. For instance, a pack mule. You couldn't ride it, but it would add 25 inventory slots - AND could be taken into a dungeon (like combat pets, except it doesn't attack).

Can we buff mounts?
    Spells like Fire Resistence, Invisiblity, Heroism, etc. would be extremely helpful when navigating hostile wilderness zones. Again, since they aren't classified as pets right now, how would this work? (Self buff also buff mounts? Or need to buff them separately?)

Obviously, there will eventually be combat versions of mounts (Paladin's Warhorse, etc.). Will we see mounted combat only in wilderness areas? Or will combat mounts be usable in larger dungeons (like Gianthold dungeons) as well?
    (LOTRO has different designated areas where mounted combat can occur - I assume DDO will too.)
    Bring teleport more inline with PnP: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Basic-Teleport
    Player made quests can work in DDO: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...erated-content

Additional question will some select outdoors quests eventually allow pets?

Example: Stormcleave Outpost
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Phantastique - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

All I want is a container for mounts. As long as we have a container so that I’m not filling my backpacks, I’m happy.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

LOTRO has had mounts for years. It needs them, b/c almost everything is outdoors, and the outdoors areas are vast (comparably), so horses are a good thing. Sure beats running.

From the preview video, they look VERY similar, so, if DDO mounts are indeed anything like LOTRO's, then...

Quote Originally Posted by Bradik_Losdar View Post
    Will mounts eventually become pets?
    LOTRO didn't do that, but LOTRO didn't have a pet stable. It would make sense, AND be a good thing for inventory (and gawds know we don't need more cause to complain about inventory!)

Will there be variants of mounts?
    LOTRO has a WIDE variety of mounts. Not only diff horse colors, but also ponies (for smaller races), and goats (for Moria). So I'd think that once they have the basic models, skins will be easy enough (assuming there's a demand, i.e. a reason to do it).

You couldn't ride it, but it would add 25 inventory slots
    Ah... interesting idea, but as it stands that's nothing like what's been advertised.

A horse is a faster (and "safer") way to travel - period.

Can we buff mounts?
    In LOTRO, diff mounts have diff HP's and speeds. Not sure how difficult the mechanics would be. On one hand it makes some sense, but on the other hand you could look at it as spells are designed for people and people-sized targets.

Obviously, there will eventually be combat versions of mounts (Paladin's Warhorse, etc.).
    Nothing "obvious" about that to me.

In LOTRO, if you're riding a horse and you're attacked (by an animal, or a sniper w/ a ranged weapon, or mobbed by a pack of... mobs), the horse starts to take damage - "you" do not. Once the horse takes too much, it folds up - no more horse (until you summon it again, which takes a moment). So, once that happens, then you are in combat. And it's almost impossible to summon a mount again while in combat ("interrupted" - and there may be a cooldown, forget).

Now, LOTRO does have "some" mounted combat - hard to say if/when/how that will be translated to DDO.

Will we see mounted combat only in wilderness areas? Or will combat mounts be usable in larger dungeons (like Gianthold dungeons) as well?
    Big assumptions there. No idea.

mounted combat is...very problematic
    that is why most MMORPG don't do it

even the monster [wow] doesn't do it...with exception of heavily scripted 'event' quests
    When this game is gone, I will not cry a single tear. It is just part of the circle of life.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bradik_Losdar View Post
    , a pack mule. You couldn't ride it, but it would add 25 inventory slots - AND could be taken into a dungeon (like combat pets, except it doesn't attack).
    when it dies you have to choose what to leave behind, or resurrect it.

If horses would be available in quests, how to get em up the ladders? Chop into pieces and fix it upstairs? And would they be one-shot on reaper? Will the horse have superherostrength to carry my 14.000 pds loaded toon on his back without cracking in the middle?
    "It´s too late. Always has been - always will be. Too late"

Quote Originally Posted by Robbenklopper View Post
    If horses would be available in quests, how to get em up the ladders? Chop into pieces and fix it upstairs? And would they be one-shot on reaper? Will the horse have superherostrength to carry my 14.000 pds loaded toon on his back without cracking in the middle?
    Lol - of course you eat your mount to get it up ladders. You hit the shift button, POOF, horsey eaten. Climb to top of ladder, click horsey icon on quick bar. POOF! New horsey pops out of Pokémon ball ready to ride again.
    Last edited by Bradik_Losdar; 10-30-2019 at 01:29 PM.
    Bring teleport more inline with PnP: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Basic-Teleport
    Player made quests can work in DDO: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...erated-content