Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Why can people not just let people enjoyu the game?

I am a long time player.

I read things and sometimes misread things. Sometimes the descriptions and how thing work change. Sometimes the description is wrong.

I do not like people going, "How can you be so stupid as to not know how that works?"

I do not like people telling me my character is broken. I do not like people that basically harass and resign my characters to THEIR specifications because it is a much more powerful character (and yes they do make it more powerful, it is just no longer my character it is their character with me playing it.

I do not usually read the forums on how things work. I do not really care how things work that I have not figured out for myself. Is something like Rejuvenation Cocoon on the Epic Destinies Primal Avatar destiny selection states "Protect target ALLY (I emphasized) with a shield of 150 temporary HP for 9 seconds. Heals 5D6 HP every 2 seconds while the shield persists." why would I think it heals me. Most effects that work on the player say "SELF" or self and ally. I take breaks from the game mostly when someone his getting onto me telling me I am dumb, or how can you not know, or are you stupid. It makes me depressed and I do not like being depressed. Maybe I knew the effect worked on me at one time, I certainly looked for what I had used for healing in the past, but I do not need to be derided for not remembering.

If you want to help someone, ask if they would like a suggestion. If they say yes, make the suggestion, do not harass. Do not force them to take it and then prove they have taken it by showing the equipment or by showing the ability. Do not tell them basically they are stupid for not using whatever already or knowing game mechanics. Studying game mechanics makes your character very powerful but not all people are wanting to have a god walking across the face of Eberron that makes dracoliches run and hide in terror and major demons like Harry and Sally quiver throwing salt over their shoulders.

If the player is not of your caliber and you like running Legendary quests on Reaper 10 and they do not ask how to do things like just do not invite them to your quest groups. If you want a guild of only players like that tell them when they ask about your guild and if they join turn them into other gods walking across Eberron.

Maybe I won't quit the game for another 6 months or a year. This posting is a little cathartic. Just do me a favor if you see one of my characters and I am as not powerful you, do not start bragging, do not start nagging, do not constantly tell me how much damage you are doing compared to me. I really am not playing to be a mirror for you. Even when I played pen and paper FRPs, I never cared about being being powerful, I cared about the RP aspect. This game online does not allow real RP, but it is a place to socialize why burning time questing.

There has been a pretty heavy advocacy to change the game to match specific player's play styles at others expense, based on false dichotomy fallacy playing itself out repeatedly. The usual tactic is to demonize how others play while justifying their own methods.

TR players vs end game players
    XP optimizers vs sight seers
    zergers vs flower sniffers
    forced cooperation vs solo everything
    nerf everything more powerful than me because somehow it ruins my fun.

Everything I do is skilled play. Everything you do is gaming the system, cheating, exploiting, and you're playing a cheese build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013 (when concurrency was ~4x what it is today)

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Because this game is (for better or worse) a multiplayer game.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

That’s because they are glass half empty type of people and they will always complain about something not being right. The best thing to do is try to move on with grace.
    The best part of the 10th Anniversary of DDO...the description on the Oatmeal Raisin Kookie,
    "From a distance you thought this was a chocolate chip kookie. Now you're sad."

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TalieNeEllyll View Post
    Maybe I won't quit the game for another 6 months or a year. This posting is a little cathartic. Just do me a favor if you see one of my characters and I am as not powerful you, do not start bragging, do not start nagging, do not constantly tell me how much damage you are doing compared to me. I really am not playing to be a mirror for you. Even when I played pen and paper FRPs, I never cared about being being powerful, I cared about the RP aspect. This game online does not allow real RP, but it is a place to socialize why burning time questing.
    You are dealing with people who's self-esteem is tied into "working" a video game, instead of playing it. Don't let them get under your skin.

If anything, they deserve sympathy and mercy

firstly, I know how you feel. I sometimes enjoy playing a character that is total **** simply because.. well it's fun to play. Running around screaming like a little girl should be a skill! there should be a cosmetic for a damsel in distress... pointy hat and frilly dress and all that... and a 'my hero!' curtsy animation! And I don't want anyone to spoil my fun on that character by telling me all the things i did wrong.

secondly... erm... as much as I want to sometimes tell people to shove their comments about my characters you-know-where... fact is, they are usually right, I could do better. And I do believe most of them genuinely think they are helping. they don't get that we want something else out of playing this game than XP per minute. But if I join a group that does difficult things I try to bring the best suited character in the proper destiny, because I don't want to let the group down either. Not that I have many very well suited characters for anything

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Everything I do is skilled play. Everything you do is gaming the system, cheating, exploiting, and you're playing a cheese build.
    I learned from PnP many years ago, if you are enjoying the game then you are playing it correctly. It doesn't matter what game someone else plays.

That said it's a lot harder in DDO to say, "I don't like this DM. I'm gonna find another." I don't mind people lobbying for a particular play style they prefer. I just can't stand when people belittle someone else's play style and claims the way they play is the only correct path. I hope the dev's stick to a middle road, not because it is best, but it allows for solo, Zerging, optimizing, end-gamers to play beside a group of flower-sniffing roleplayers.

Community Member

Well you gotta separate it out into a few different categories, it's not a binary "amazing" or "totally useless" despite how some people talk. Humans tend to think in binary terms, we are either the best or nothing, that kind of stuff and it can be very damaging to us.

Builds tend to fall into four different categories

Meta power gamed broken builds, these are those ones that are usually a nightmare to actually level through but tend to be broken at cap due to unintended synergies.

Powerful builds, these are the most common and tend to be veteran players who aren't powergaming but still have pretty good gear and knowledge on how to leverage it.

Newbie builds, these are common on super casual players who don't really run harder content. They *work* because their not pressed to do harder stuff and tend to get looked down on in general by veteran players. Normally these guys get respeced at TR to better and better builds as the player starts having fun learning the game. This is likely where the OP is and some really arrogant powergamers talked down to him without giving even handed advice on how to better himself (assuming gender here). These are also known as First Toon Syndrome.

Wonky *** builds, these are done by people who have no idea how D20 3.5E works and just fail to do anything at all. Sometimes it's on purpose and ends up with a niche fun character (Int based Barb comes to mind), other times their just really really bad and tend to pike every quest they are in because they contribute nothing and lack even basic meds or other group support abilities.

MMO's tend to break into three distinct categories of characters

DPS: those who kill the monsters / overcome the challenge directly.
    Tanks: those who absorb damage from the monsters enabling the DPS to overcome the challenge.
    Support: those who support the tanks and DPS via healing, buffs, enfeebles and other such means that help them overcome the challenge.

Now in DDO with our super flexible building system players frequently have aspects of all three present.

Only DPS no Tank: Glass Cannon
    Tanky DPS: Bruiser (this is my favorite btw)
    Only Tank: brick wall
    Support DPS: Bard / most divine casters / DC casters with CC spells
    Pure support: Nanny bot healer types

A character should have one of those roles in mind and do someone well in at least one area of the three. If someone can't really do high DPS or take hits, then run with some sort of healing abilities like scrolls / wands / LoH / CSW / whatever. If their in a group with stronger players, they can fall back to supporting them and nobody will criticize them in the slightest.

Cheer up pal. Do not tie much of your self worth into your performance in a video game, or of others expressed opinions of said performance.
    Last edited by Jetrule; 10-30-2019 at 12:26 AM.
    Percivaul Dusol, BadRandall and Shortpact--The Silver Legion

I was here at launch

This game was CREATED to be a multi-player game...yes
    and
    That was this first part of the game that was dropped because it was killing it.

Quickly and EARLY came hirelings ... for solo players.

Name a single MMORPG that forces group play that has been around for a least a few years?

NONE

My point, the OP is correct.
    Play your character, not everyone else.

Perfection is boring...seriously
    When this game is gone, I will not cry a single tear. It is just part of the circle of life.

Quote Originally Posted by fatherpirate View Post

Name a single MMORPG that forces group play that has been around for a least a few years?

NONE
    EQ, EQ2, RS, all older than DDO. All with higher concurrency rates.

s'Right, RS looks like stick figure theater, "forces" grouping to complete harder objectives, and has higher concurrency numbers.

I was here at launch

This game was CREATED to be a multi-player game...yes
    and
    That was this first part of the game that was dropped because it was killing it.

Quickly and EARLY came hirelings ... for solo players.
    Players could always solo normal, even in the first week of DDO. It was not that the game couldnt be soloed at all, but that people refused to play lower difficulty settings, demanding elite be solo-able. Once elite became soloable it was too easy for everyone else, and THATS when the attrition increased. There was far greater attrition in eras when the toughest available difficulty was too easy than there ever was in eras when the toughest difficulty actually challenged people. We could always move down a notch when elite was too hard, but there was nowhere more difficult to go when elite became too easy.

This was the FIRST time the lesson should have been learned, but wasnt. When elite was made too easy due to not fixing a scaling bug on purpose and basically retcon-ing it in as "elite scales now /shrug" what happens is players who were further along in advancement than those demanding elite be solo-able had their game space taken from them.

The blatant disregard for how others play the game cost DDO significant concurrency in that era.
    Last edited by Chai; 10-29-2019 at 06:02 AM.
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013 (when concurrency was ~4x what it is today)

{EQ, EQ2, RS, all older than DDO. All with higher concurrency rates.

s'Right, RS looks like stick figure theater, "forces" grouping to complete harder objectives, and has higher concurrency numbers.}

WRONG - all those games are very solo friendly...early DDO was NOT. NONE of those games force group play, DDO did. (why I say that below)

{Players could always solo normal, even in the first week of DDO. It was not that the game couldnt be soloed at all, but that people refused to play lower difficulty settings, demanding elite be solo-able. Once elite became soloable it was too easy for everyone else, and THATS when the attrition increased. There was far greater attrition in eras when the toughest available difficulty was too easy than there ever was in eras when the toughest difficulty actually challenged people. We could always move down a notch when elite was too hard, but there was nowhere more difficult to go when elite became too easy.}

WRONG - You could always play solo...until you wanted to leave the entry area of harbor (was separated) and you were forced to clear dungeons
    to progressively open the city. With exception of the cleric, without other players you were TOAST. AND locked out of the rest of the game. (this is not my first forum account)
    I was there...day 1 you could and still can play all those games you listed solo without issue...DDO HUGE issues and that is WHY they immediately added hirelings.
    People were dropping subscriptions left and right...solo players saying...BYE. so as an emergency they added a work around to [basically) requiring a group.
    AI 'friends' Hirelings. If they didn't the game was going to go under. EQ EQ2 RS never had to make emergency changes. They were/are solo friendly so it was not an issue.
    Early DDO was NOT solo friendly.

You have the right to have your own message, game outlook and so on, but that does not change history.

FYI DDO at the beginning DID NOT have difficulty settings, that came much later
    When this game is gone, I will not cry a single tear. It is just part of the circle of life.

Community Member

s'Right, RS looks like stick figure theater, "forces" grouping to complete harder objectives, and has higher concurrency numbers.}

WRONG - all those games are very solo friendly...early DDO was NOT. NONE of those games force group play, DDO did. (why I say that below)

{Players could always solo normal, even in the first week of DDO. It was not that the game couldnt be soloed at all, but that people refused to play lower difficulty settings, demanding elite be solo-able. Once elite became soloable it was too easy for everyone else, and THATS when the attrition increased. There was far greater attrition in eras when the toughest available difficulty was too easy than there ever was in eras when the toughest difficulty actually challenged people. We could always move down a notch when elite was too hard, but there was nowhere more difficult to go when elite became too easy.}

WRONG - You could always play solo...until you wanted to leave the entry area of harbor (was separated) and you were forced to clear dungeons
    to progressively open the city. With exception of the cleric, without other players you were TOAST. AND locked out of the rest of the game. (this is not my first forum account)
    I was there...day 1 you could and still can play all those games you listed solo without issue...DDO HUGE issues and that is WHY they immediately added hirelings.
    People were dropping subscriptions left and right...solo players saying...BYE. so as an emergency they added a work around to [basically) requiring a group.
    AI 'friends' Hirelings. If they didn't the game was going to go under. EQ EQ2 RS never had to make emergency changes. They were/are solo friendly so it was not an issue.

You have the right to have your own message, game outlook and so on, but that does not change history.

Really EQ solo friendly from day one? yeh.. if you played the 2 classes that could solo, or if you played something else and wanted to grind low level mobs you could level to like 25.
    What made EQ work was distinct roles, yeh if you were a nameless DPS it was hard to get a group (or even get on a list for a group) but healers/CC/tank had no problems. Groups is the same problem in every game... more people just wanna whack/blast things than anything else.

Chai is completely right on this one. When the highest difficulty is soloable by everyone there are no options. When everyone can solo normal but it takes skill/time/loot/group to do higher there are options. The reason for the breakdown in DDO is reward structure, people want that better loot/favor/etc so demand access to the higher difficulties. If we really took the "don't tell me how to play attitude" then drop rates and favor would be the same on all difficulties.
    Last edited by Cantor; 10-29-2019 at 07:32 AM.

I am a long time player.

I read things and sometimes misread things. Sometimes the descriptions and how thing work change. Sometimes the description is wrong.

I do not like people going, "How can you be so stupid as to not know how that works?"

I do not like people telling me my character is broken. I do not like people that basically harass and resign my characters to THEIR specifications because it is a much more powerful character (and yes they do make it more powerful, it is just no longer my character it is their character with me playing it.

I do not usually read the forums on how things work. I do not really care how things work that I have not figured out for myself. Is something like Rejuvenation Cocoon on the Epic Destinies Primal Avatar destiny selection states "Protect target ALLY (I emphasized) with a shield of 150 temporary HP for 9 seconds. Heals 5D6 HP every 2 seconds while the shield persists." why would I think it heals me. Most effects that work on the player say "SELF" or self and ally. I take breaks from the game mostly when someone his getting onto me telling me I am dumb, or how can you not know, or are you stupid. It makes me depressed and I do not like being depressed. Maybe I knew the effect worked on me at one time, I certainly looked for what I had used for healing in the past, but I do not need to be derided for not remembering.

If you want to help someone, ask if they would like a suggestion. If they say yes, make the suggestion, do not harass. Do not force them to take it and then prove they have taken it by showing the equipment or by showing the ability. Do not tell them basically they are stupid for not using whatever already or knowing game mechanics. Studying game mechanics makes your character very powerful but not all people are wanting to have a god walking across the face of Eberron that makes dracoliches run and hide in terror and major demons like Harry and Sally quiver throwing salt over their shoulders.

If the player is not of your caliber and you like running Legendary quests on Reaper 10 and they do not ask how to do things like just do not invite them to your quest groups. If you want a guild of only players like that tell them when they ask about your guild and if they join turn them into other gods walking across Eberron.

Hello dear friend.

There is people with the attitude and there is people with the mode. I will not tell people are people get on with it. I believe everyone deserves respect. Everyone shall think before speak. People online are same as the people exist in real life. Some can never know what just have happened before the person started the game seesison or during the game session/in real life time and location.

The only thing players can do to do is think before speak. Becasue how we see other people and act mirrors who we actually are.

I wish you patience and peace and a good time. I hope the dice of luck rolls a meet with the ones who think before speak. Stay cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRHEnREuJZQ

Last edited by Kutalp; 10-29-2019 at 09:38 AM.

Community Member

Default ^^

ok, it has been about 1 year i stopped playing, although i still lurk the forums.
    Last pack i played before leaving was u39 released july 2018

reading your text i noticed some aspects point toward my behavior... although i have never called anyone dumb about build choices, also i do not care much about items, or builds i am a casual builder who just levels up with outdated gear and ravenloft ml10 weapons up to level 20

sometimes i suggested to acquire good surviving abilities to people i used to group up with, one is the barbarian 150 temporary hitpoints skill, at level 4-8 it is really useful
    of course some people didn't like to take my advice and they were dying often, i never insulted them.

another thing i did was going to buy 200 potions of healing, and 2 x 50 charges wand of healing from marketplace and gift them to non tr players in my party, sometimes they use them, sometimes they do not

when i noticed a quest is very hard, i opened it elite instead of reaper 1, sometimes the people with the most death count were complaining that i wasn't running reaper... and i didn't tell them that i chose an easier difficulty mostly due to their performance in previous quests... (in the flesh)

sometimes i even decided to skip quests (cursed crypt) based on party performance... (i was usually the one setting up lfm 24h/24h and accepting everyone)

i also recall about the cocoon, and i remember i was a little persistant at first, years ago, lately i just suggested 1 time, then no biggie since on epic i usually run epic hard any way.

in the years i changed:

first a game was very important to me, and i liked hard difficulty
    then i just stopped caring and went with standard difficulty on most games, also if a game is too hard, and lowering difficulty to easy doesn't improve it, i just skip to another game or mod it to my specifications.
    now when i see a failure i no longer feel anything, but i keep as options: lowering difficulty, skip quest, play another game or do something else.
    much less trouble.
    i also figured out there is no point into "whining" on the forum, if developers add something good, if not i can always decide to still play the game, or play some other game.

we are talking here about the flame arrow spell creating only 50 arrows... i suggested making them returning as a fix, year later they made it a 500 arrows x cast.
    Last edited by nayozz; 10-29-2019 at 11:13 AM.

HAHAHAHA - youre actually claiming EQ and EQ2 were more solo friendly than DDO?

False.

DDO was very solo friendly. People just refused to play normal ONLY due to getting less favor. They wanted to farm N,H,E all solo.

There are some folks who couch their feedback of "I cant solo elite" in terms of "I cant solo the entire game at all" or "the entire game is not solo friendly" - and this spawned the MYTH that the game required healer-tank-DPS trinity to complete even on normal, but this is incorrect - the game only required that in tiers the soloers could not complete solo (which wasnt normal difficulty)

Again false, on all accounts.

DDO - normal was challenging on day 1, and while it wasnt guaranteed victory (something some folks historically lobby for couching their feedback in other terms) it was playable solo. See above.

EQ, EQ2 and RS never needing to make emergency changes because their market audiences enjoy the need for forced cooperation. Each time soloers get on their forums and demand to be able to earn top tier loot solo they are told by the devs and community management (which I was a part of for quite some time in 2/3 of those) that the need for forced cooperation to earn upper tier loot is absolutely intended. The idea of contested spawns and competing guilds trying for the same spawn is absolutely intended. While there were solo friendly classes in EQ and EQ2, players werent getting upper end dungeon gear or raid gear solo.

The only time raids were ever soloed was out of era. Sure, some POP era ranger could solo Trak, but by that time the Trak loot was obsolete to the point where trash tier loot from previous expansions was better. So still not rewarding top tier loot to soloers. Ever.

In short, while in those other games named, people could solo XP to max level, this was much slower (like multiplicitively slower in EQ1 and EQ2 than grouping) - but more importantly, the solo crowd failed to bamboozle the company into making the entire progression chain available to soloers - which they succeeded on doing in DDO.

False.

DDO began with Normal, Hard, Elite. Casual was added later, Epic elite much later, and reaper more recently (a few years ago).

They began selling players the ability to open elite first time playthrough in 2009. Elite difficulty was there in 2006 however.

People could solo normal, but then those in the "solo only" audience wanted to be able to solo hard and elite to farm out the favor.

TL;DR - you (and some others) choose to confuse or purposely conflate that which people refused to do to accomplish X -and- that which was required in order to accomplish X. Grouping in DDO was NEVER required. People just refused to be satisfied with running only on normal. Thus they pushed the narrative that DDO was not solo friendly, rather than telling the truth that elite was not solo friendly (but normal was).

This got much worse in 2009 when we could earn points via favor and the demands to be able to solo elite skipped ludicrous speed and went straight to plaid, but those demands did exist even in 2006.
    Last edited by Chai; 10-29-2019 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Some_call_me_Tim View Post
    I learned from PnP many years ago, if you are enjoying the game then you are playing it correctly. It doesn't matter what game someone else plays.

That said it's a lot harder in DDO to say, "I don't like this DM. I'm gonna find another." I don't mind people lobbying for a particular play style they prefer. I just can't stand when people belittle someone else's play style and claims the way they play is the only correct path. I hope the dev's stick to a middle road, not because it is best, but it allows for solo, Zerging, optimizing, end-gamers to play beside a group of flower-sniffing roleplayers.
    Yeah I agree.

Where hilarity ensues is when one market audience refuses to play in the gamespace designed for them, and instead demands a gamespace designed for a different playstyle be changed to fit their needs, with little to no regard for how that change will negatively affect those in that gamespace currently.

In the context of today's DDO this is soloers refusing to solo the 4 settings which support soloing through scaling, and demanding to change the gamespace in the one setting that challenges balanced groups to one that also supports soloing. When this happens the people who play DDO in balanced groups will be forced out of their gamespace.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

This is ESPECIALLY true on the forums !

The right side kind of players of your list have been demonized so much that their voices are nearly completely absent from these Forums ! Bravo ! The current Community here has ,managed to completely silence a big part of the player base !
    "You are a Tiefling. And a Cleric, with the Domain of the Sun. Doesn't that contradict each other ?" "No, all my friends are playing evil. I found that so boring that I decided to be on the good side. And, besides, Sun and Fire, where is the difference, really ?"

There has been a pretty heavy advocacy to change the game to match specific player's play styles at others expense, based on false dichotomy fallacy playing itself out repeatedly. The usual tactic is to demonize how others play while justifying their own methods.

nerf everything more powerful than me because somehow it ruins my fun.

Pretty much this. Get guder!

Community Member

I am a long time player.

Like in real life not all people are fun and friendly.

Avoid them, dont care of them, continue to have fun
    In game in Cannith as
    Aborim Master (main toon) --- Nickallin (my tank)--- Jjnick (warlock 30) --- Nickpunick ()--- Nickruvido (my healer)--- Nickallinone (shuri build)
    guild: not Flagged ( ex guardiani di eberron, ex gods, ex kvp)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast