Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Seriously guys......

I hate to be one of the complainers. I do. I really do. I appreciate SSG for giving me the game that I love to play. I believe the Devs/Faculty make an amazing effort to keep a game this old running and I super appreciate it.

But this lag is getting out of hand. It used to be Thunderholme, and shadows spawning, and a few other things. But recently it has been popping up everywhere. And not like little 2-3 second lag spikes, but much longer. Like I said, I don't want to be one of the people who constantly complain about stuff, but it's getting a bit crazy. I like to play/spend money on this game. It's my hobby/past time. But it's hard to justify doing so when I can't finish quests/progress without huge spikes.

I'm really hoping this gets addressed. There are 3-4 Lag posts within the last few weeks. We're not imagining it. Please do what you can, and thank you.

P.S. I play on Argo, if that helps.
    Proud guild gimp of Synergia! Adults only. Bring beer. Pants optional.
    Banginurz/Chimpinurz/Shagginurz/Spankinurz.

You ain't kidding. We had two lag wipes or near wipes tonight during our raids on Sarlona. There's been Thunderholme lag (the kind that makes the client itself stutter and lock up) virtually everywhere at times, even in public zones. It's teetering on the edge of completely unplayable right now.

Whatever recent change started all this lag needs to be cut away, even if it's a high-demand, highly-hyped feature. Can't use 'em if you can't move.
    .: Sarlona - High Lords of Malkier : Reaper Life 1, 2 , 3, and 4 alumnus : My Twitch : Trans and Proud : (she/they please) :.
    .: Inamorata (Heroic x2/Epic Completionist) / Signalmixer (Vorpal Queen) / Darkchylde-1 (Fiend Voodulock) / Tenpercenter (Bowhealer 2020) / Groundloop : Plus so many others! :.

It is a different take on the lag lately. I can be in the Sharn area without that many people in the area (and no one was on a horse!). I could see / chat with people, but the instance was locking up the client and making it rubberband (lots of spacebars to superjump). I couldn't even do /death. I was finally able to get out of the area 10 minutes later (was using my other client on my ship fine). I played some other quests and then tried to get back into the Sharn area 1 hour later - and still had crippling lag. A lot of the quests I ran this weekend had lag. SLAs, spells not going off but they went onto timer and spell points were used. Nothing showing up in the log.
    Oh, that's easy. I didn't farm them. I just cheated. -Meghan
    Quote Originally Posted by 404error View Post
    lol, I didnt give it a QA pass.

Community Member

yeah... lag. it's bad.
    if you cannot fix lag, maybe try working on a quick boot, I'd take a 10 minute downtime every day if it makes the game smoother.

Community Member ShifterThePirate's Avatar

It's very annoying yes! I played The Spinner of Shadows a few times and my character just got 'stuck' and couldn't move for ages several times... For some reason I could still cast spells like Dimension Door back to the start. But even then I couldn't move. Had to quit the quest and wait for a bit at the Harbor to finally be able to move again.

I also did Toxic Treatment and the jumping puzzle where you have to light up all the tiles by doing the 4x5 puzzle. It was just impossible to jump from one tile to another... Lag everytime made me overjump or hit the wrong tiles. Out of frustration I decided just to pull the lever several times to get the puzzle done.

And these situations were not even in the busy weekends... Just normal workdays. Stuff like this is really keeping me from investing anymore cash in this game during sales. Would have bought the Ultimate Ravenloft pack upgrade if the game was running decently.
    Last edited by ShifterThePirate; 12-02-2019 at 06:29 AM.

I died in the Vale wilderness, something that hasn't happened to me in years, because I was unable to move because lag kept me frozen for a full minute!
    Last time I saw lag this bad was when DDO moved to virtual servers, from physical ones.
    What has happened?

I didn't get any lag yesterday but the servers weren't functioning correctly. Loads of people were waiting outside the Airship Portals repeatedly trying to enter... When I finally got it to load the Airship, it sent me to a default Airship so I had to re-enter for it to load the correct instance. Then it wasn't until about five minutes later on; when I was idling in the Harbour that the Airship buffs, I had last clicked actually applied.
    Last edited by DYWYPI; 12-02-2019 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Typos.

I have also been getting a lot of lag but i find that signing out then back into wifi fixes it for another 15 minutes

I don't tend to get much lag there has only been one time when the lag got so bad as to be unplayable my internet has the ….charming..... feature of every hour it drops and its a fifty-fifty chance if I drop out or not but that's my internet and not the game.
    ''True heroism requires the wisdom to find the proper path, the courage to face all obstacles, and the magic to blast those obstacles to rubble''

The client cant support the current game. There has actually been a small influx of players returning lately and that is one of the reasons the system can't handle it. While pushing out Sharn there were devs actually adjusting things to ensure a smooth launch and the client was tuned better. But now after a couple of patches/updates there are just more issue that is studdering the system. The system is super old and the client was created during one of the worst periods of Windows history with Windows Vista (release date for the game and windows vista was the same year) and was developed on Windows XP a 32 bit operation system. Until the release a 64 bit client it will just get worse. The only option (like someone suggested) is to restart the server once a day for 10 minutes. I am pretty sure no one would complain about that if it ment the lag was reduced, but restarting the server will do nothing for the Thunderholme lag, that is purely because their client can't handle it.

Default Descriptions of lag issues

I concur, the lag has been a problem lately. My observations have been:

Only one instance of long-lasting lag spike

Many, many times of 1-2 second bounces. Kind of like the lag stutter seen in the past

Another observation has been inconsistency in loading into locations, including the game itself. I had 5 or 6 times when I thought the game was down because the initial start-up locked up, but upon trying again there is a 50/50 chance it goes quickly and smoothly. This same thing happens in almost every load screen. 1/2 the time it goes properly, and 1/2 the time it hangs up for a long period of time. I haven't had any times where I actually DCed, but the length of time I waited was close to it.
    Ratyr, Champion of Hardcore League Season 1 for reaper XP.
    Ratyr[x] and Rarius on Cannith and Leader of Coven of Heroes.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysun View Post
    The client cant support the current game. There has actually been a small influx of players returning lately and that is one of the reasons the system can't handle it. While pushing out Sharn there were devs actually adjusting things to ensure a smooth launch and the client was tuned better. But now after a couple of patches/updates there are just more issue that is studdering the system. The system is super old and the client was created during one of the worst periods of Windows history with Windows Vista (release date for the game and windows vista was the same year) and was developed on Windows XP a 32 bit operation system. Until the release a 64 bit client it will just get worse. The only option (like someone suggested) is to restart the server once a day for 10 minutes. I am pretty sure no one would complain about that if it ment the lag was reduced, but restarting the server will do nothing for the Thunderholme lag, that is purely because their client can't handle it.
    Where does this information come from? I'm not aware of any official dev word on lag except Lynnabel talking about mob pathing once. Part of that doesn't seem to make any sense. E.g. what does server restarts have to do with the client? Why is 32bit clients a problem, is it running out of memory? That it was created for XP doesn't matter one bit, the Windows API has been pretty much static since the 90ies, and DDO mainly uses DirectX anyway.

It's amazing that after several years of lag all we have are rumours and FUD passed around as facts. Next thing we know somebody will turn it into a religion and start sacrificing goats to Lag the minor diety.

Want a new feature? First offer a prayer and sacrifice a goat or risk incurring the wrath of Lag.
    Last edited by LurkingVeteran; 12-02-2019 at 07:50 AM.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by LurkingVeteran View Post
    Next thing we know somebody will turn it into a religion and start sacrificing goats to Lag the minor diety.
    Minor deity ? MINOR deity ?! Heretic ! Burn him !!

*humor*

Lag is alternately referred to on this forum as the most high, supreme-difficulty monster in-the-game, and as the LAG-god a chaotic evil deity with a malicious sense of humor whose greatest pleasure is ruining your fun. Lag of either variety can occur at any time and IMHO the crueler the timing the more likely its the deific one. Suitable sacrifices to the Lag deity include stacks of scrolls particularly raise/res, heal, and DD, in-game mnemonic potions, healer hirelings, halflings of any variety, and if you play PD ...clean undies.

Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Phantastique - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

I'm convinced that lag is the reason why SSG added Jibbers to the game...

Even on a full party wipe, someone with a Jibbers can get things back up again.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysun View Post
    ... is to restart the server once a day for 10 minutes. I am pretty sure no one would complain about that if it ment the lag was reduced,...
    You must be new to the internet.

I thought the recent forum posts about lag were just run of the mill comments about lag spikes in raids, etc. but I have noticed some disturbing issues that seem to be lag-related.

These kind of issues occurred last time when the DDO servers were being moved to a new datacenter back in March 2016; the following all happened in the past few days:

1. in a party group, someone DC's or someone leaves group to switch character and then rejoins, but gets put into a separate chat channel - the original party members can communicate, but the new person cannot be heard or speak over voice - only via /tells, until you re-form the party.

2. someone leaves party group, but is still able to hear the chat channel from the previous group (even though the person that left is not in a group). we were running von5 raid, entered von6 on reaper, someone was overlevel and left, but that person was still able to hear us talking over mic.

3. player is moving items and filigrees around. they drag a sentient weapon (it is "mid-air" so to speak as it is being dragged), there is a lag spike, and the weapon disappears. the sentient weapon, along with the sentient jewel is gone. it is not available in buyback. ((fortunately it was a relatively new sentient weapon from borderlands with only a small amount of sentient xp, so that player just bought a new weapon))

4. in a quest, someone tries to dismiss a hireling, but the hireling refuses to leave and is stuck. even after we finish the quest, the hireling remains in party - the only way to get rid of hireling is to reform the party.

(( by the way, it almost seems like something was changed in the prioritization of hirelings in party formation -- I feel like it used to be that hirelings would always appear at the end of the party roster after other players, but now sometimes when I join a party (where they already had summoned hirelings), the hirelings generally seem to be at the top of the party roster - has this always been the case?? ))

as I said before, these problems were very common when they had the 2016 datacenter migration, but after about a month, I think they fixed it or found what the issue was. but now it seems like these issues are back. these issues I described above are in addition to the stuttering lag that we have been getting recently in quests and public areas.
    Last edited by Graskitch; 12-04-2019 at 03:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graskitch View Post
    4. in a quest, someone tries to dismiss a hireling, but the hireling refuses to leave and is stuck. even after we finish the quest, the hireling remains in party - the only way to get rid of hireling is to reform the party.
    Had this happen yesterday. DCed and Hireling somehow became party leader but wasn't even still in the party. Had to load/reload/reload again into a public zone, drop group and reform to kick the usurping absentee hireling practicing his Elminster skills.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Phantastique - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    Had this happen yesterday. DCed and Hireling somehow became party leader but wasn't even still in the party. Had to load/reload/reload again into a public zone, drop group and reform to kick the usurping absentee hireling practicing his Elminster skills.

Lol !

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    I'm convinced that lag is the reason why SSG added Jibbers to the game...

Even on a full party wipe, someone with a Jibbers can get things back up again.
    Now if jibbers had appearance rate higher than 0.00001%

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast