Community Member DeathbringerGod's Avatar

Question What Happened with the Lamannia Feywild weapons previewed?

What Happened with the Lamannia Feywild weapons previewed?

Feybane (Weapons) One of Each Weapon Type
    Minimum Level: 5/29
    Damage Dice: [Standard Damage Dice]/[Standard Damage Dice+2]
    Critical Roll: Standard Critical Profile

Feybane 2d10/9d10
    Acidic 2d6/9d6
    Axiomatic 2d6/9d6
    Crystal
    Red Augment Slot

The Live version has Improved Destruction and Maiming don't have Acidic nor Axiomatic.... I missed something here?? haha
    KHYBER Server * Member of "La Hoja y La Llama" Guild
    Velhaart [2nd Life] (lv 4 Human Fighter), Deathbrngr [2nd Life] (lv 4 Drow Fighter), Shinigammi (lv 30 Drow Monk), Kriegwolf (lv 30 Dwarf Barbarian), Panzerdeath (lv 30 Warforged Fighter), Edvaard (lv 30 Human Paladin), Thengwar (lv 30 Drow Bard), Aorlhac (lv 30 Half-Orc Fighter),
    Tuomass
    (lv 30 Human Druid), Scythelord (lv 30 Human Wizard), Xeerloth (lv 30 Warforged Artificer), Aldahr (lv 30 Shadar-Kai Rogue),
    Krieglord (lv 30 Bladeforged Paladin), Edarim (Lv 30 Sun Elf Cleric), Ianvenn (lv 30 Half-Elf Ranger), Chrometank (lv 30 Warforged Wizard),
    Erwynd
    (lv 7 Human Favored Soul), Naghaar (lv 7 Drow Warlock), Elleak (lv 7 Gnome Rogue)

ARGONNESSEN Server * Officer of "Celestial Knights" Guild
    Edvaard
    (lv 30 Human Fighter), Panzertank (lv 30 Bladeforged Monk/Warlock/Paladin), Deathbringrr (lv 30 Human Barbarian),
    Elkyrd
    (lv 30 Drow Warlock) Edverth (lv 30 Dwarf Fighter) & 15 more...

Question

Anyone? Anyone know something about it?
    Velhaart [2nd Life] (lv 4 Human Fighter), Deathbrngr [2nd Life] (lv 4 Drow Fighter), Shinigammi (lv 30 Drow Monk), Kriegwolf (lv 30 Dwarf Barbarian), Panzerdeath (lv 30 Warforged Fighter), Edvaard (lv 30 Human Paladin), Thengwar (lv 30 Drow Bard), Aorlhac (lv 30 Half-Orc Fighter),
    Tuomass
    (lv 30 Human Druid), Scythelord (lv 30 Human Wizard), Xeerloth (lv 30 Warforged Artificer), Aldahr (lv 30 Shadar-Kai Rogue),
    Krieglord (lv 30 Bladeforged Paladin), Edarim (Lv 30 Sun Elf Cleric), Ianvenn (lv 30 Half-Elf Ranger), Chrometank (lv 30 Warforged Wizard),
    Erwynd
    (lv 7 Human Favored Soul), Naghaar (lv 7 Drow Warlock), Elleak (lv 7 Gnome Rogue)

Edvaard
    (lv 30 Human Fighter), Panzertank (lv 30 Bladeforged Monk/Warlock/Paladin), Deathbringrr (lv 30 Human Barbarian),
    Elkyrd

Quote Originally Posted by DeathbringerGod View Post
    Anyone? Anyone know something about it?
    They made them worse instead of making them better, just like so much else about this expansion.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Phantastique - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    They made them worse instead of making them better, just like so much else about this expansion.
    ... I expected something in the line of Ravenloft and Sharn...

I remember in Lamannia that the acidic damage was broken or something... like it was doing 1 acid damage only...
    Tuomass
    Erwynd

Edvaard
    Elkyrd

Community Member

arguably the free ravenloft weapons are more universally useful... but they are okay... for a ooze slayer.
    and some look really nice

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    arguably the free ravenloft weapons are more universally useful... but they are okay... for a ooze slayer.
    and some look really nice
    The graphics of the weapons are fantastic; I will give them that easily. But you would expect the weapons to be particularly useful in the expansion they come in such as construct weapons in Sharn, undead fighting weapons in RL. The best effect for this expansion on these weapons is Feybane, which could have been the better Naturalbane that I argued for on Lammania which is versus Fey, Plants and Animals. If it had been Naturalbane with Improved Destruction and Maiming, I would have been okay with it but as is...it feels like a selection of the least useful effects they could give us and still be appropriate. No one as yet has explained why they are crystal instead of cold iron, do Fey in DDO not have Cold Iron damage reduction? That would be very strange since its mentioned in the description of cold iron in this very game. So exactly how many oozes or rust monsters have you come across in Feywild? For me, so far just the cauldron goo (which was actually a really cool idea). My gut feeling is they went with crystal explicitly to give HC players (with the xpack) easy access to an ooze beater... which doesn't really feel like an Expansion suite at all.

Quite a few things in Feywild are not subject to critical hits such as Plants, and Elementals, Oozes for which crystal is good for are immune to criticals... so maiming and Improv Destruction seem weird, also none of the above are subject to Feybane explicitly so again... the enchantments on the weapons just seem selected either haphazardly or specifically to be as little help as possible.

I don't know what was going on behind the scenes but between the decisions to (IMHO) PRE-NERF the weapons, CAP the slayer zone at 1.5K with no fast travel even after you've completed the quests once, make the 30th level hireling junk (5min song @lvl 30 for just one example), the bundle issues... its a good thing I enjoy the quests so far or I'd feel cheated. I think I'm being given a taste of what's its like when the aesthetics are great but not much else.
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Phantastique - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

I have just been informed that if you read the lore text beneath the durability/hardness bar of the Ferrocrystal weapons you'll notice they give cold iron DR versus Fey creatures. Therefor I retract my criticism of the crystal weapons as a poor choice for the Feywild suite.

https://ddowiki.com/page/File:Ferrocrystal_Falchion.png
    I'm still not sure that Improved Destruction + Maiming is the best choice for my playstyle but I'm told that mathematically somehow comes out better. *shrug* I don't do the MATHS so I have no way of self-determining this but I'm just happy that Fey DR is still a thing and that the weapons suite for the expansion meets that criteria.

Default Ferro Crystal weapons

Seem to work great in the wilderness against Fey, however go in a quest and they turn into total ****. Back to the xbow I've been using for years. So much for updated weapons.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    I think that's precisely it. Crystal type makes this weapon relevant for the longest as an ooze beater - just as Eth weapons from Keep are relevant for the longest as ghost/reaper beaters, RL weapons as Undead beaters and Sharn weapons as Construct beaters.

Acidic+Axiomatic arent good affixes for ooze beating, since oozes will often resist one or both of those iirc, and of course damage affixes dont scale well at all on Epic weapons. Imp Destruction, though, is really useful since Oozes are all 100% Fort natively, and Maiming does untyped damage so all oozes will take full effect when you do crit. Plus Destruction scales better into Epic with your crit profile.

They didnt even bother designing new scepters. They just reused old models and slapped the Ravenloft stats on them with very minor changes. This expansion reeks of laziness. I realize covid has complicated things and SSG is a small studio but the laziness of this team has been apparent for a long time. They really do the bare minimum they can get away with.

Community Member

I'd be happy of the weapons were naturalbane (fey, animals, plants) instead of just fey.

imp destruction and maiming is better than acid/axiomatic in epics, plus is maxes them slightly less of a copypaste of ravenloft/sharn weapons.

Still not sure why the crystal instead of cold iron, unless we're getting "demonbane" weapons next expansion.

Quite a few things in Feywild are not subject to critical hits such as Plants, and Elementals, Oozes for which crystal is good for are immune to criticals... so maiming and Improv Destruction seem weird, also none of the above are subject to Feybane explicitly so again... the enchantments on the weapons just seem selected either haphazardly or specifically to be as little help as possible.

I don't know what was going on behind the scenes but between the decisions to (IMHO) PRE-NERF the weapons, CAP the slayer zone at 1.5K with no fast travel even after you've completed the quests once, make the 30th level hireling junk (5min song @lvl 30 for just one example), the bundle issues... its a good thing I enjoy the quests so far or I'd feel cheated. I think I'm being given a taste of what's its like when the aesthetics are great but not much else.
    Totally agree about creatures immune to crits...

And maybe Axiomatic could be changed yes... but acidic was good in my opinion. Obviously like an ooze beater is good... could be better... maybe they could add Force or Light damage... I don't know...

About the quests, I really enjoy them! And get a lot of named items and 4 artifacts!
    Last edited by DeathbringerGod; 11-09-2020 at 05:37 PM.
    Tuomass
    Erwynd

Edvaard
    Elkyrd

I was curious to see the difference between the damage effects and the maiming (since it basically boils down to average 63 damage per hit vs 9 damage on a crit, which is a really interesting question to me).

Even with a fairly advantageous scenario for the live version (100 melee power, expanded crit profile from enhancements, THF chain, Overwhelming Critical, etc), the preview version wins out. Maiming is just such a small amount of damage, it struggles to make up the difference (even with MP scaling it on a decent build). For example, on my test profile (Greatsword --> 15-20/x3 + 1x on 19-20) maiming is still only worth about 9 damage a hit (and that's assuming that it is multiplied by the critical multiplier because the Ferrocrystal weapons have a different Maiming effect then the previous Maiming effect. Bonus damage dice on crit based on crit multiplier vs Flat bonus damage on crit). If it doesn't behave like seeker (i.e. scaled by MP, scaled by weapon crit multiplier), it's actually just useless.

For grins, this new version of Maiming (assuming it behaves like Seeker, scaling with MP and critical multiplier) is slightly better than the previous version of Maiming.

The comparison doesn't get any better if there's less static damage being added (i.e. you're using a one-handed weapon) or the critical profile is weaker (i.e. you're missing crit enhancements). It does get better when you're critting more often (i.e. full destruction stacks means more crits), but for this comparison, the assumption was that you're already able to and confirming all crits (i.e. best case scenario).

I like the concept behind the weapon, a crit based weapon that crits more, the more you use it. I also like the fact that it is a distinct option from Sharn and Ravenloft weapon styles of Damage Bypass + Bane + 2x Damage Effects. The implementation really does leave something to be desired. Seeing something like Swashbuckler's T5 of "when you don't crit, you become more likely to crit" or a "when you crit, you get stacks of crit damage" effect coupled with destruction would've been more interesting.
    Nope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    It was causing server-crippling lag due to an issue with how much kobolds hate boxes.

Community Member

Wow, that might just as well not be in the game from my perspective. I would not use the level 5 weapons under any circumstances, save perhaps as an ooze beater on a melee build if I haven't found anything better. You can easily craft something that is level 4, does 2d6 acid/ sonic/ force (pick one) +2d6 physical damage + a red augment slot. Versus anything but a Fey creature, it will be considerably stronger. Obviously, on a ranged character I wouldn't even uses these vs oozes.

How well it scales into Epics is utterly irrelevant. Only a new player that owns basically no content, doesn't craft and is having incredibly bad luck with randgen loot won't have a better weapon than that available by level 20.

I know they don't want top repeat the RL design where you just walk up to someone and get handed a weapon that makes 90% of other weapons in that level range look stupid. But if weapons like this are the alternative, maybe they should consider not handing out weapons at all. Maybe a nice set of rings to pick from, or a some low level trinkets.
    Last edited by yfernbottom; 11-10-2020 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bzzzt View Post
    I was curious to see the difference between the damage effects and the maiming (since it basically boils down to average 63 damage per hit vs 9 damage on a crit, which is a really interesting question to me).

Even with a fairly advantageous scenario for the live version (100 melee power, expanded crit profile from enhancements, THF chain, Overwhelming Critical, etc), the preview version wins out. Maiming is just such a small amount of damage, it struggles to make up the difference (even with MP scaling it on a decent build). For example, on my test profile (Greatsword --> 15-20/x3 + 1x on 19-20) maiming is still only worth about 9 damage a hit (and that's assuming that it is multiplied by the critical multiplier because the Ferrocrystal weapons have a different Maiming effect then the previous Maiming effect. Bonus damage dice on crit based on crit multiplier vs Flat bonus damage on crit). If it doesn't behave like seeker (i.e. scaled by MP, scaled by weapon crit multiplier), it's actually just useless.

For grins, this new version of Maiming (assuming it behaves like Seeker, scaling with MP and critical multiplier) is slightly better than the previous version of Maiming.

The comparison doesn't get any better if there's less static damage being added (i.e. you're using a one-handed weapon) or the critical profile is weaker (i.e. you're missing crit enhancements). It does get better when you're critting more often (i.e. full destruction stacks means more crits), but for this comparison, the assumption was that you're already able to and confirming all crits (i.e. best case scenario).

I like the concept behind the weapon, a crit based weapon that crits more, the more you use it. I also like the fact that it is a distinct option from Sharn and Ravenloft weapon styles of Damage Bypass + Bane + 2x Damage Effects. The implementation really does leave something to be desired. Seeing something like Swashbuckler's T5 of "when you don't crit, you become more likely to crit" or a "when you crit, you get stacks of crit damage" effect coupled with destruction would've been more interesting.
    I would very much like to see the MATH they used to determine this was better for us than acid/axiomatic. I probably won't understand it all but at least I would know from whence their information came. The information you have given indicates these won't be very useful to non-meta, non min-maxed players... which is odd because most the rest of this expansion seems to be aimed at the less specialized, less meta players with weird off-shoot builds. Seems to me min-maxed players already have their favorite weapons, or golf bag of weapons and won't need these but less specialized, more casual players are more likely to need/want useful weapons for the content. Is there something obvious we may be missing? Like the crystal that breaks cold iron damage reduction? I mean now that's its been pointed out to me... oh hey yeah its obvious but... I feel like I must be missing something else.

I would very much like to see the MATH they used to determine this was better for us than acid/axiomatic... other stuff ...I mean now that's its been pointed out to me... oh hey yeah its obvious but... I feel like I must be missing something else.
    I cannot comment on the reasons why they chose to do maiming/destruction instead of acid/axiomatic, I was just in the middle of making a damage calculator for my own reasons and it was a nice opportunity to test it on something.

As for the "feeling like I'm missing something", I've had several similar moments looking at pieces of gear from this expansion (such as the heroic deepsnow boots).
    Nope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    It was causing server-crippling lag due to an issue with how much kobolds hate boxes.