Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Please stop making underwater combat quests. Forever.

Everyone is thinking it. Here I am simply saying it. These are not fun. Thanks
    Last edited by Cetus; 11-12-2020 at 04:17 PM.

Hah, indeed, least fun quest of the expansion for sure. I will hopefully never have to run it again.

Community Member

We went in with:

Fire Sorc x2
    Fire Alchemist x2
    Barbarian

The skulls were lowered after we picked up the pieces of the first attempt :P
    Sarlona: Tobril | Syg | Trogbril | Warmachyne | Sql

YouTube | Twitch

Default I Like Underwater Quests

I like them not that I want a ton of them but I like quest diversity.
    Fizban - Avatar of Khyber
    Guild Leader of Legends: Where adventurers are born & Legends live.
    Motto: Enjoy the game, loot and XP will follow

Quote Originally Posted by shores11 View Post
    I like them not that I want a ton of them but I like quest diversity.
    I like quest diversity too.

One can like diversity AND have limits.

I love food diversity. I will not eat feces. They are not mutually exclusive.

Mark me down for NOT liking underwater combat. I won't cry about it. But, I'll avoid it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkrok View Post
    First, Meat-Head is exactly correct...

But without underwater combat quests, what will VIPs spend their free saga quest skip on?

This is among the questions that keep one up at night.

Community Member

Personally I like lost at sea (which is just a relatively short underwater segment), but every other underwater combat quest blows, with Into the Deep being the worst by far.

Nobody likes trudging around in water, being slowed to heck and unable to kite on ranged or initiate on melee, and having fire casters simply not function at all with the stupid enviromental effects basically just makes them a piker.

Having content where certain builds are disadvantaged or advantaged and need to adjust is good, having content where certain builds cease to function altogether is not, this is the reason why every mono-element caster (Sorc, Alchemist, and for some reason Druids) has immunity stripping/bypass, because if a fire savant nuker can't damage devils then they may as well pike because their other spells don't be doing anything more than tickling. This is why Lightning caster Artis are not a viable build.

Underwater quests simply stop fire casters from functioning at all (the effect tooltip says fire spells are weakened and lightning/sonic are improved, yet many fire spells don't function at all and lightning/sonic seems to do standard damage).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cetus View Post
    Everyone is thinking it. Here I am simply saying it. These are not fun. Thanks
    They also push the physics credibility ******** meter to critical.

We have all swum, many of us have dived. It's just absolute nonsense that we can cast or fight under water.

Yeah I dont get why we even have them in a D&D game. I would have been fine with traditional swimming quests. No need for underwater combat.

My problem is the hand-holding with free water breathing.
    Don't give free water breathing. If someone doesn't have water breathing, let them eat lots and lots of cake. And search for air bubbles.

2014 DDO Players Council

How many are there in Feywild?

Though I wouldn't want a lot of them, I have had no issue the the small number in the past. It's an interesting change of pace on rare occasions. Same idea as mario-jumping quests like The Pit; a few is fine, but too many would be awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Cetus View Post
    Everyone is thinking it.
    That's an obvious falsehood.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProducerRowan View Post
    Our final update of 2014 will extend the level cap to 30, which is intended to be DDO’s “permanent” level cap

Community Member

What's particularly frustrating about the new underwater 'lost locket' quest is the enemies who are also casting slow every chance they get - with the result that melee combat in the quest changes from frustratingly slow to stupidly and fatally slow

2015 DDO Players Council Sebastrd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EmGreen View Post
    What's particularly frustrating about the new underwater 'lost locket' quest is the enemies who are also casting slow every chance they get - with the result that melee combat in the quest changes from frustratingly slow to stupidly and fatally slow
    This. I also hate the underwater movement mechanics, and the new quest just adds insult to injury.
    Astreya the Unturning

It's always a shame when the hammer of poor design choices smashes the fun of player tactical adaptation.

Not being able to cast underwater as a fire alchemist really sucks. Make Water Breathing spell and Gills Extract allow you to do so, or an augment, or a DDO store item. At least with Lost at Sea I can frog the handful of mobs before we get to the cave area. The only non-water area in Feywild's underwater quest is the optional to free the prisoners. Y'all missed the mark on this one.
    Khyber: Ying-1, Kobeyashi, Nichevo-1 | 75 million Reaper XP

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastrd View Post
    This. I also hate the underwater movement mechanics, and the new quest just adds insult to injury.
    This

I died in heroics.. WITH blood tribute. Between the constant slow, underwater slow, and then champ casters, it was just a miserable quest. Even with sprint boost I couldn't even get in range of the casters before dying, because I was moving like it was red alert.

Although, casters are punished, melees are punished, ranged seems fine? I feel like the drag on projectiles underwater should easily cause a 50% damage reduction, if not also attack speed. Just so that underwater is equally punishing.

Wow, it's as if they want you to have to think and change your tactics to fit the situation.

Totally sucks.

I like the underwater quests. Although I prefer ones like Lost at Sea and Into the Deep that have alternate sections of full underwater battles and submerged grottos/caves with regular combat.

I've requested for sometime to have an underwater quest on Korthos where we get to attack the Sauhaugin undersea stronghold, because clearly they aren't based in Misery's Peak.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Phantastique - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    Wow, it's as if they want you to have to think and change your tactics to fit the situation.

Totally sucks.
    Great trite response. Do you just mean "play another build?"?

I've been delving more into melee recently, that quest definitely made me question my sanity.

Community Member

Fixed.

Not every quest is for everyone. I am another for diversity. I accept that, if I want diversity, I won't like some quests, and am fine with that.

Better than a cookie-cutter approach that some other games use.

Totally sucks.
    "Just TR into a different build if you want to run that quest lol"

The fact that Fire casters cannot fight at all underwater is a problem, especially for alchemists, this game forces specialization to be relevant in epic/legendary content above hard, people aren't going to redesign their entire build to be sub optimal in 99% of content so they're allowed to run 1 quest.

The fact that the quest is ALSO miserable for melees who get chain slowed down to being effectively perma-CC'd is just icing on the cake.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast