Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Community Member

Default So the expansion sucked, what's next?

What are the future plans for this game?

Failwild was just not good. What do you have to keep us on the hook?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom2112 View Post

I didn't think it sucked, and as my response I will provide just as much constructive insight into the basis of my opinion as you have provided for yours.

Community Member

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by arminius View Post
    I didn't think it sucked, and as my response I will provide just as much constructive insight into the basis of my opinion as you have provided for yours.
    It's not my responsibilty to be constructive. As a paying customer it's is their responsibility to not release content that sucks.

2014 DDO Players Council

I haven't played Feywild yet, but the impression I got from friends wasn't that it sucks, merely that it is mediocre.

What about it sucks for you?
    Quote Originally Posted by ProducerRowan View Post
    Our final update of 2014 will extend the level cap to 30, which is intended to be DDO’s “permanent” level cap

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    I haven't played Feywild yet, but the impression I got from friends wasn't that it sucks, merely that it is mediocre.

What about it sucks for you?
    Boring is a better word, it just isn't special

Quote Originally Posted by arminius View Post
    Considering Sharn was a bust and I hear even more Crickets with Feywild (or Failwild as the OP called it) maybe you are easily entertained? Thanks to the free summer trial I learned two things about Sharn:
    1) The XP for Heroics replaced Vale/Wheloon as the place to go for level 16+ to make level 20. They were much more enjoyable than Coal, Running, and Sleeping or Shadai Kai and Howlers. Best of all, it was all in just a single spot (basically).
    2) The "Legendary" loot was just a lot of power creep and only relevance would soon be outclassed by their announcement of Feywild (prior to Covid forcing them to scale back which is probably a good thing).

So I am glad you didn't think it was bad. And a lot of people complaining about it now will complain less as the quests become more farmed. Same thing happened with Sharn (Not to mention the patches to fix the more obnoxious bugs). The OP may not provide the best constructive criticism but the "Writing on the wall" has been there since preview if you have been on any of the forums or listening to in game chat. SSG has a problem on their hands if they keep selling Expansions that fall flat among the community. Especially if they think they can charge a premium that established companies charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    The release notes themselves are essentially the same as was seen on Lamannia most recently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    This^ in so many words is how you say time and feedback on Lammania are wasted.

Community Member

Honestly, the very first thing I thought of when I first stepped in was that they basically copy/pasted a lot of their work from Borderlands and put it thru a blue filter. There's absolutely nothing about that wilderness that gives me an actual Feywild vibe.

Ravenloft and Sharn both felt like expansions to me. This feels more like an adventure pack.

Honestly, my biggest gripe is how so much of it was released as a broken mess, while other parts weren't even released at all. I don't know what their QC consists of, but I have to assume by this release that it's minimal to non-existent.

Now before people start piling on me for sharing my opinion about this ill-fated attempt at an expansion, please be aware that I'm a daily player that only wants the best for this game. However, I can't say the same for anybody currently working at SSG.

Community Member

5 gold says the OP runs a fire sorc/alchemist that just got done with the underwater quest.
    Sarlona: Tobril | Syg | Trogbril | Warmachyne | Sql

YouTube | Twitch

Community Member

I do not post much. I don't think my post count is even 2 posts per year I have played, but this topic made me want to voice my opinion. Ravenloft was really good, in my humble opinion. I liked the quests and think a few of the RL quests might be best quests in entire game. Both raids were solid also. Sharn was okay. I think Sharn gets a bad rap because of the gear issues. The quests in Sharn are better than just "okay" and 1 of the raids is solid. We all know PN is one big pile of "feature" cheese for high R completion. Feywild, or "Failwild" as you call it, doesn't have a good vibe. I don't know how else to describe it. To me, and this is just my opinion, it feels like the Sharn Cog quests, extra throw in stuff that you get as bonus. All of Feywild just feels like that to me, extra bonus stuff but without the actual main product.

I really fear their future plan is just to treadmill on us with "Universal Uber Sauce Legendary Past Lives"... A hamster wheel does not equal proper endgame.

I love how people say things are a bust or failed based on like....3 people they know or 10 angry people on the forums (who could've still bought it).
    Mains - Messam, Indalecio, Mozenrath, Quackerjack.

The last expansion I purchased and liked was Ravenloft.
    So why the unending river of ... meh?

Cost cutting, staff reductions.
    Accountants replace editors.

Folks were asking why it takes so long for customer service.
    I will take an educated guess, customer service staff has likely
    been reduced to 1 person, or zero staff with developers taking
    turns to put out the fires.

It all revolves around the fact that DDO is heading to retirement.
    In a few years or months, I have no idea.

If a decent competitor that was a MMORPG D+D 3.5 rule set popped up,
    this game would fold in a month.

What was left of SWG folded the moment SWTOR launched.

I am not being pessimistic, I am being realistic.
    Enjoy the game, it will not be around forever.

also FYI Neverwinter online is not a direct competitor, the game play
    is 100% different, literally.

Quote Originally Posted by DerpDerply View Post
    Ravenloft and Sharn both felt like expansions to me. This feels more like an adventure pack.
    First off, I liked Feywild. The quests are good; the items are good. Many interesting mechanics, new monsters, artwork, etc... Definitely no complaints in these areas.

That said, I kind of agree that it doesn't feel like a proper expansion. Every expansion (except maybe shadowfell) has done 3 things for the game:

1. Introduce new builds and gear setups
    2. Changed up the leveling process
    3. Provided a new endgame

IMO Feywild only succeeds on the 1st point. Shifter and feydark illusionist provide some interesting new build options, and seem reasonably well balanced (unlike inquisitives on release) so that's a good thing...

On the 2nd point: I've ran feywild in heroics 3 times now, and its somewhat disappointing. First time was on elite at a decent pace, doing some optionals, skipping others. Xp was terrible. 2nd time was on R1 and it felt significantly more difficult than other quests in it's level range (not a negative IMO), but again even with saga the xp was bad. 3rd time was a complete zerg on elite in geographical (not story-line) order, and its still lower xp than the house 6s/7s that I would normally run instead, and certainly cant replace 3BC. Doing these in story-line order with optionals is probably the worst xp in the game. Heroic gear is decent, but not really game changing like Ravenloft or Sharn, and I haven't bothered to replace my crafted level 5 gear yet (and may not at all). I was really hoping for a new (and faster) way to do what is currently the slowest and most boring part of the leveling process for me.

On the 3rd point: No raid is bad. The fact we only get one raid soon(tm) is bad. Yes we did just get 3 reworked legendary raids, but this effectively makes Feywild not feel like endgame at all, and therefore more like an adventure pack than an expansion.

My hopes are that the heroic xp gets improved and the new raid is impressive enough to warrant the wait and lack of 2nd raid.
    Last edited by Monkey_Archer; 11-28-2020 at 05:26 PM.
    Thelanis

Well the devs continue to listen to the tears of babes on the forums. They didnt want power creep and this is what we have, a totally boring expansion with no i level increase, can't say I didn't warn ya. Yet they still continue complaining about power creep. These people will destroy the game. Ya got a year of misery...enjoy. Time to bring power creep back, Make DDO great again !!! Feywild wouldn't have been half as bad if there was actually gear I could use for my builds. As it stands as much as I've messed with it (being melee) I lost too much...totally meh. Currently theres not one piece I can use...what ever, keep destroying the game. Sooner it dies I will save a stack of money per month.
    Last edited by timmy9999; 11-28-2020 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teargiver View Post
    Ravenloft was really good [..] Sharn was okay [..] "Failwild" as you call it, doesn't have a good vibe
    I took notes about my expectations for Feywild versus actuality with the intent of maybe posting something. After running through it, though, everything about it can be summed up with a single 3-letter word: "meh".

I agree about RL. It is exceptional. It is by far the best content in DDO. It feels and plays like a story. It has gear that hangs together and stands by itself or as an adjunct to other gear. Even the wilderness is fun. I loved mapping it. Seriously irked maps are erased on TR, but that's the game, not the expansion (ruins one of THE quintessential classic MMO activities/goals).

Sharn was pretty good. Vaunt as Dr. No was interesting, but the potential wasn't nearly as fully realized as RL. The stories were neither as cohesive nor as solid. Still, Sharn feels like an expansion -- like it's own world. The gear is nice. It can stand alone or in sets, but it has gaps that RL doesn't have. The raids don't feel like they have a tie-in to anything happening in Sharn, though (other than using sharn mobs and voicing for raid-level antics).

Fey missed the boat. It's got a few fey references, but the stories are bland. On my first zone-in, I was half-expecting to see a stag being savaged by cwn annwn, only to turn into killer butterflies that attack, then laugh & fly off (or something equally bizarre and fey'ish). Feywild lacks story and complexity. RL has it. Sharn really tries. Fey phones it in.

Meh. Is there even any need to mention the ridiculous bugs? Trivial stuff it would take minutes to fix that isn't fixed weeks later, like iCON+2 being erroneously changed to iDEX+5.

The only reason to buy Feywild is for the game features. The "expansion" is instantly forgettable and will leave you wondering, "So, uh, when are you going to release the real Feywild expansion?"

Quote Originally Posted by timmy9999 View Post
    Well the devs continue to listen to the tears of babes on the forums. They didnt want power creep and this is what we have, a totally boring expansion with no i level increase, can't say I didn't warn ya. Yet they still continue complaining about power creep. These people will destroy the game. Ya got a year of misery...enjoy. Time to bring power creep back, Make DDO great again !!! Feywild wouldn't have been half as bad if there was actually gear I could use for my builds. As it stands as much as I've messed with it (being melee) I lost too much...totally meh. Currently theres not one piece I can use...what ever, keep destroying the game. Sooner it dies I will save a stack of money per month.
    Hmmm, let me think about this...

Level cap increase and gear making everything pre-feywild obsolete. Feydark illusionist as inquisitive 2.0. Endgame being nothing but feydarks playing nothing but feywild...

Nope. I'd call that an unmitigated disaster.
    Thelanis

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey_Archer View Post
    Hmmm, let me think about this...

Level cap increase and gear making everything pre-feywild obsolete. Feydark illusionist as inquisitive 2.0. Endgame being nothing but feydarks playing nothing but feywild...

Nope. I'd call that an unmitigated disaster.
    Sorry, "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Monkey_Archer again."
    Our final update of 2014 will extend the level cap to 30, which is intended to be DDO’s “permanent” level cap

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey_Archer View Post
    Every expansion (except maybe shadowfell) has done 3 things for the game:

1. Introduce new builds and gear setups
    2. Changed up the leveling process
    3. Provided a new endgame
    That's simply not true. The original expansion, MotU, destroyed a large, vibrant endgame and replaced it with nothing. It took like 8 years to finally rebuild an endgame. I haven't played Feywild yet, but I'm sure glad it didn't tear down what we have it and replace it with a whole lot of very little.

Exit, pursued by a bear. ~ William Shakespeare (stage direction from The Winter's Tale)

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    haven't played Feywild yet, but I'm sure glad it didn't tear down what we have it and replace it with a whole lot of very little.
    Ignoring bugs, the game features (illusionist, augments, saga, etc) are very well intentioned and pretty well done to offer useful things without completely turning over the apple cart to feed the worms. That's the part they should be proud of and what is successful. Unfortunately, it's also why there's no reason for those without Feywild to buy it.

It leaves the only "reason to buy" as "story/feel" and that's the part they left out. RL gave me far more story/feel/immersion than I paid for. Sharn tried. Fey didn't even try. It gets about 1/3 of the way towards a real expansion then gives up.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast