Community Member

Default Baba Location in Wheloon

I've been running Wheloon a lot recently for the wiki (photographing stuff), and I must say I am now heartily sick of the place. I'd love nothing more than to finish the job and get out, but I have no idea where the last rare encounter spawns.

So, does anyone know where I can find Baba? Thanks in advance.
    X The Mystic's 4th Rule Of Dungeon Survival:

"No-one carves statues of frightened adventurers. If you see one, keep your eyes closed and your ears open."

Community Member

Unless it has changed, her location is given in the wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by thedip View Post
    Unless it has changed, her location is given in the wiki.
    Wiki says this:

• Slay Baba, The Night Hag -Just outside gate to Oldstone Hall, very close to Oldstone Hall teleport point

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LightBear View Post
    Wiki says this:

• Slay Baba, The Night Hag -Just outside gate to Oldstone Hall, very close to Oldstone Hall teleport point
    Ah, should've mentioned this.

I put that there. And I'm not fully sure it's correct, it was based off one six-year-old report on this forum.

Sorry! Should have claritifed.

"No-one carves statues of frightened adventurers. If you see one, keep your eyes closed and your ears open."

Community Member Cranjis-of-Orien's Avatar

Not 100% certain but I remember seeing her on my way to Thrill from Army, in the area where there's Doomspheres, if that makes any sense.
    Founder and leader of The Wildcats guild on Orien

"Cheese is the solution to everything" - Unknown

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleSerpent View Post
    and I must say I am now heartily sick of the place.
    Welcome to the club. I haven't been touching that for a year at least.

If you need an antidote graphics-wise : Go into the Keep wilderness area after that.
    "You are a Tiefling. And a Cleric, with the Domain of the Sun. Doesn't that contradict each other ?" "No, all my friends are playing evil. I found that so boring that I decided to be on the good side. And, besides, Sun and Fire, where is the difference, really ?"

Quote Originally Posted by Cranjis-of-Orien View Post
    Not 100% certain but I remember seeing her on my way to Thrill from Army, in the area where there's Doomspheres, if that makes any sense.
    That is where I recall seeing her as well.

Community Member

Brilliant, thank you. The Shadowfell effect is starting to grate a little; I shall be glad to give the region a rest for a while.

Community Member

Urgh. Urgh urgh urgh urgh urgh.

OK, I've now been doing nothing but running that region of Wheloon for two days straight, and still nothing. I think I'm going mad.

I don't suppose anyone could give me a specific place on the map I should be checking? Like "outside the entrance to the barn" or something? It just feels like I'm combing too wide an area.

Community Member Cranjis-of-Orien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleSerpent View Post
    Urgh. Urgh urgh urgh urgh urgh.

OK, I've now been doing nothing but running that region of Wheloon for two days straight, and still nothing. I think I'm going mad.

I don't suppose anyone could give me a specific place on the map I should be checking? Like "outside the entrance to the barn" or something? It just feels like I'm combing too wide an area.
    Just go in and follow the path to Thrill, coming from Army. Don't take any special jumps or shortcuts.
    Founder and leader of The Wildcats guild on Orien

"Cheese is the solution to everything" - Unknown

IMHO all the wheloon rares are too dang rare. I don't even try for them anymore and have several times now got all my locations and ran the quest chain getting less than 5 rares/random encounters with my family so 4 players total. Big/Bigger Bullies and Nil are the only ones that dependably show up, with Food Supply and the Gargoyle being the next most reliable.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Phantastique - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Unfortunately, I think she has several spawn points around Old Stone Hall. I think I've seen her on both the run from the Teleport location to Thrill of the hunt where I go on the right side of OSH, and I've seen her on the way to Army from the teleport location on the left side of OSH. I may or may not have encountered her on the back side of OSH near Thrill as well, but I don't recall if it was Baba or just a random hag. Of course it's been at least a year since I last ran out there, so don't trust my memory, I certainly don't.

Anyways I avoid running Wheloon as much as possible, and often avoid most explorer areas thanks to years of Vale farming...
    (Say): Haywire says, '"Hey, I don't come into yer home and play with things."'

Community Member

Just go in and follow the path to Thrill, coming from Army. Don't take any special jumps or shortcuts.
    Alright, thanks. I was trying to comb the whole area which was probably a mistake.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    IMHO all the wheloon rares are too dang rare.
    During my play-through I only found I think 2 or 3 of them, as far as I can remember.
    "You are a Tiefling. And a Cleric, with the Domain of the Sun. Doesn't that contradict each other ?" "No, all my friends are playing evil. I found that so boring that I decided to be on the good side. And, besides, Sun and Fire, where is the difference, really ?"

Hi Purple,

I just spoke with Baba on the phone and she said she's been hanging in her Hut in Barovia for the past few years and she's not sure when she'll be back in Wheloon. She said she got "locked out from the gate" when trying to go back to her spawn spot and the stupid teleporter NPC would only take her back if she paid astral shards.

Community Member

Dear community,

I have now run over 300 times through Wheelon Prison Heroic. Around run 100 I got 11/12 Rare Encounters but Baba is still missing.

I followed the hints in this thread and even some curious hints from around the www with no result.

According to my experience, the spawn of all other rare encounters is anywhere between 5%-20%.

So if there is anyone out there, who can confirm a certain spawn spot of Baba in Wheelon Prison Heroic, I would "kill" for a hint.

Thank you
    Kel

P.S.: @darkniteyogi

The position is correct as listed in the Wiki. Video linked here showing exactly where they would be found from the starting point on entering the explorer area.

Note, this video is unlisted. So can't be found normally via search in Youtube. Also, no sound either, had to strip the audio track as it we had "The Crew at Warpower" playing in the background at the time.

J1NG

:: edit ::

The route taken in this video is deliberately chosen to show that the gate near the normal entry spawn point is not the gate you are looking for, as some may associate it as the gate to go through to Oldstone Hall. And that players actually need to reach a different gate "from" Oldstone Hall, but also open it to reach the "outside" (which because it normally can not be opened from the outside, most players just run by instead). Because there are odd spawn limitations (certain enemies can not spawn within x distance of player spawn point), I did not take the teleport option to Oldstone Hall, as it may potentially prevent Baba from spawning in this fashion.

:: further edit ::

For those who are interested, Baba turned up at the third attempt I tried to locate them. So that skews the original perception of their spawn rate a bit. Subsequent attempts at using the Teleport to Oldstone Hall did not yield any results (at least 20 attempts), so I switched back to running the manual path as shown in the video above. And took another 28 tries before Baba spawned in the location in the video. That's an abysmally low spawn rate, so anyone looking for them, if RNG is not on your side, you'll need a few goes at least to get them to spawn. Note, that you can tab their chest, so if that's possible and you see a chest just beyond that gate, it's going to be Baba.
    Last edited by J1NG; 09-21-2021 at 06:31 AM.
    Thelanis: Yijing (*Completionist* TR 20 Aasimar Scourge Monk Level 20 / Epic Level 10)
    Thelanis: Pocket-Monks: Sightblur, Peashoote, Jigglypath, Jedinja.
    Invisible Fences, unkillable Target Practice Dummy's, Shared Bank's, Pale Lavender Ioun Stones, the dimensional barrier between Eberron and Shavarath, I've broken them all...

Community Member

Dear J1NG,

thank you very much for giving me hope and proof that it is possible to find Baba.

I usually entered the upper quarter by running on the roof to the Tavern and then east, especially checking "your" spot from this side. That maybe triggered normal spawn around #13 und prevented Baba from occuring.

After trying your way for 35x times, I finally found her exact on your spot.

I owe you something J1NG!

Kind regards
    Kel