Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh

Disclaimer
    Everything seen on the preview server, Lamannia, is not final and is subject to change or removal before live release.

The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh is expected to contain, when released on live, atleast 9 dungeons and a wilderness adventure area. In this preview, however, only the following 5 dungeons are available to preview:

• Danger at Dunwater 3/32
    • The Final Enemy 3/32
    • What Sleeps Below 3/32
    • The Hijacked Haul 3/32
    • Back to Basics 3/32

To access The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh on the preview server, simply speak to Lord Poincelot in the center island of the Test Dojo to be granted preview server specific DDO points and then "purchase" "The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh" Adventure Pack in the DDO Preview Store (you will likely need to use the search bar in the DDO Store). All 5 of these dungeons can be reached by speaking to "The Questgiver" in the Test Dojo for this preview.

Known Issues
    • Music is mostly placeholder.
    • DM voice is not yet in.
    • Loading screens haven't been done yet.
    • An XP pass has yet to be done.

Danger in Dunwater: Spot: Hidden; Your hireling's keen senses tell you there is something hidden here.
    (Senior officer's quarters - no hireling or pet in use)

Danger in Dunwater: the black puddings in the pitfall trap at the Treasury are called "melee"

I don't Llama any more, so waiting patiently to see this on Live.

Fingers and toes crossed that it portrays the modules well. This series was the first non-homemade module I ran my first gaming group through WAY back when.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    The original Hobby Shop

What Sleeps Bellow: The Scarlet Brotherhood Cultists hair is clipping akwardly through their hoods. Also, can the hoods have a similar palette to the rest of their costume?

So i know there was talk with vips and Salt marsh. do we know what will happen?

Default Good quests

I ran all 5 quests tonight and enjoyed them in general, I would have put some as long rather than medium though as there was a big difference between the shortest and longest, but i did try to do all the optional too. cant wait to play the finished versions with music vo etc, and some of the quests felt very bare as in long corridors or rooms with very little in but i take it this will be fleshed out before release. have the lizard folk and sahaugain models been updated seemed really nice, maybe just haven't ran a quest with them for a while. Also like how hidden things were not just trap boxes or walls, there were keys etc. Also hoping for some full underwater quests love them. Got loads of the new s/s/ crafting materials but not one piece of named loot from all quests and nearly all optionals. Could not find the last treasure room lever anywhere just 2 of the 3 :-( but Really looking forward to this mini expansion (depending on cost and packages, need big step up from the lotro one which i haven't bought yet for that very reason.

Community Member

Default Danger at Dunwater

Quote Originally Posted by Cocomajobo View Post
    Disclaimer
    Everything seen on the preview server, Lamannia, is not final and is subject to change or removal before live release.

The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh is expected to contain, when released on live, atleast 9 dungeons and a wilderness adventure area. In this preview, however, only the following 5 dungeons are available to preview:

• Danger at Dunwater 3/32

Known Issues
    • Music is mostly placeholder.
    • DM voice is not yet in.
    • Loading screens haven't been done yet.
    • An XP pass has yet to be done.
    I also experienced the spot hidden when there was no hierling in my party. I ran it on Epic Normal with a level 20 character. Here are initial reactions:

1) Epic Normal Xp felt meh, but I see the xp pass is yet to be done.
    2) The pseudo dragon was confusing since I was running a Feydark pseudodragon familiar. Might I suggest some sort of visual effect on it to distinguish it or at least give the little bugger a name other than pseudo dragon?
    3) Is Lamania always this laggy? The quest was super laggy.
    4) Loot: Why did every other chest have a minor artifact? Was that on purpose or is that a feature of Lamania (don't usually run on test server)?
    5) Size: This quest map was huge. For an end game quest that seems fine, but at level 3, this quest map felt bigger than it had to be, and also uninteresting. Shan-to-Kor is big, but at least there are puzzles that keep you working to get from one part to another and different levels. The layout felt underwhelming and under populated -- this could be a function of running it on normal. Just some more NPCs with flavor text could have helped.
    6) Thanks for putting the red dot on the thief, that was helpful on such a huge map, and thank you for not doing a repeat of Needle in a Feystack.
    7) End fight felt like a repeat of the Redemption quest in Korthos. Could we do something other than the waves of mobs with one big bad boss in last wave or could you at the very least bring back Lars Heyton and have him cheer on the player or provide some sort of running commentary e.g. "Keep coming! I won't die that easily..." for comic relief?
    8) Slimes still have placeholder text in their name.
    Last edited by JoeCamb02140; 06-23-2021 at 08:49 AM.

Community Member

Saltmarsh looks interesting. However, I just heard on Discord that this is a "mini expansion" so will not be free to VIPs and will not be available for points for 6+ months. Given how overwhelmingly unpopular mini expansions were on LotRO, I don't understand why they would be brought over to DDO.

More generally, I don't understand the cash-only exclusivity period. I've spent $100s on DDO points (as well as recently starting VIP) and expansions being unavailable effectively punishes me for already giving SSG my money. At an absolute minimum, please get rid of the cash-only period.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight23 View Post
    Saltmarsh looks interesting. However, I just heard on Discord that this is a "mini expansion" so will not be free to VIPs and will not be available for points for 6+ months. Given how overwhelmingly unpopular mini expansions were on LotRO, I don't understand why they would be brought over to DDO.

More generally, I don't understand the cash-only exclusivity period. I've spent $100s on DDO points (as well as recently starting VIP) and expansions being unavailable effectively punishes me for already giving SSG my money. At an absolute minimum, please get rid of the cash-only period.
    Well if it's not free for vip, what do we get? Downgraded loot? Gear with a totally useless set bonus? Where is the raid!! I can't believe we have to even pay for this content, especially considering I'm a subscriber. I've just about had a gut full of this game.
    Last edited by Catabree; 06-23-2021 at 02:37 AM.

Where is the raid?
    Khyber: Ying-1, Kobeyashi, Nichevo-1 | 75 million Reaper XP

Community Member

Default Back to Basics

I really liked the Back to Basics quest. The timing of the text and when the rats appear in the crypt seems off. You may want to look at what triggers their appearance and have it match when the text appears. The boss flattened me - running it solo on legendary reaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpone View Post
    Where is the raid?
    No raid. It's a "mini" expansion, all the cost, with the new power (that was the old power) to replace the old power.

ENJOY!!
    Quote Originally Posted by nobodynobody1426 View Post
    If you look across all the changes it's basically a giant nerf to all the stuff we used to use while trying to force folks into theme based playstyles.
    Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Profit quantity has been prioritized above product quality. (Note: this quote was from 2013, things never change)

Quote Originally Posted by Cernunan View Post
    No raid. It's a "mini" expansion, all the cost, with the new power (that was the old power) to replace the old power.

ENJOY!!
    "All the new power". Wut? The items from this aren't really any better than the old items, what are you on about?

Quote Originally Posted by Stravix View Post
    "All the new power". Wut? The items from this aren't really any better than the old items, what are you on about?
    Right, the items are boring and bland and unoriginal, you are absolutely right .

That should be the advertisement for Saltmarch : "The items from this aren't really any better than the old items!!"

I am referring to the widget the pack drops to upgrade your old epic items to legendary
    Last edited by Cernunan; 06-23-2021 at 10:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nobodynobody1426 View Post
    If you look across all the changes it's basically a giant nerf to all the stuff we used to use while trying to force folks into theme based playstyles.
    Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Profit quantity has been prioritized above product quality. (Note: this quote was from 2013, things never change)

Community Member

Default Hijacked Haul - Monster Save DCs

May want to take a look at DCs in legendary Hijacked Haul. On live servers, my lvl 30 FvS caster can land blind DCs with Holy Smite seemingly more often in Sharn than on this quest (couldnt land blind at all in Hijacked Haul). I don't have fully upgraded Sharn gear on live, but did fully upgrade Sharn gear on Lamannia before running this quest. May be that lizardfolk are more resistant to blind than Sharn baddies; just my experience.

Will Saltmarsh feature a new public area?

All in all this looks like a fine adventure pack. However, I wanted to express my sentiment that having so many low level quests (= missions that a lowbie is supposed to accomplish) at the top-end legendary content (= supposedly missions that only fully experienced people will tackle) is at least underwhelming. I think we're sitting at the best endgame since 20 cap now, except that back then we were shoving off a Devil Invasion and containing the Lord of Blades. (although we were already fighting OP rats at The Snitch) It would be awesome if you considered setting the levels of epic versions of heroic quests by reflecting their level of "epicness".
    Last edited by WarDestroyer; 06-24-2021 at 05:03 AM.

Just 5 quests? Where is the rest?

If this is to be called a "mini-xpac" it needs a good deal more in terns of quests and preferably a raid as well.

5 quests is a standard quest-pack, not an expansion.
    Member of Spellswords on Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by mikarddo View Post
    Just 5 quests? Where is the rest?

If this is to be called a "mini-xpac" it needs a good deal more in terns of quests and preferably a raid as well.

5 quests is a standard quest-pack, not an expansion.
    Read op before commenting

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowperson View Post
    Read op before commenting
    Thanks, I stand corrected. Shame on me.
    Member of Spellswords on Ghallanda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast