6/14/23 3:00pm EST Game crashes.

Ptalon

My game updated after the downtime. I logged in. Everything seemed ok.
But then I either walked away or logged out (can't remember which)

Now, it crashes trying to load into a game world.
Thelanis twice.
Rebooted computer, then tried Wayfinder.
Same thing.

is it just me?
Help!

J1NG

I can do things others can't...
First thing I'd try on seeing that is the Repair option. See if it's a corrupted file during the update that's causing the problem.

J1NG

Ptalon

Seems I can get in with the 32 bit, but not the 64 bit client. :(
Since we just had an update, I always want to see if it is just me before I start making changes.

I guess I will give it a day or two, to see if anyone else has an issue. Since 32 bit is working, I can still play.... yeah.

Rhonin

I too cannot get the 64 bit client to load. It generates an Access Violation error (0xc0000005) within ntdll.dll. The 32 bit client works fine. I have done a repair on DDO, renamed dndclient64.exe and restarted - it redownloaded the latest patches along with dndclient64.exe, and starting the 64 bit client still failed.

My machine did update Windows 10 with the 2023-06 Cum update for 22H2 today with obligatory reboot just prior to updating DDO. Other than that, no changes since running DDO yesterday.

Ptalon

I too cannot get the 64 bit client to load. It generates an Access Violation error (0xc0000005) within ntdll.dll. The 32 bit client works fine. I have done a repair on DDO, renamed dndclient64.exe and restarted - it redownloaded the latest patches along with dndclient64.exe, and starting the 64 bit client still failed.

My machine did update Windows 10 with the 2023-06 Cum update for 22H2 today with obligatory reboot just prior to updating DDO. Other than that, no changes since running DDO yesterday.
Yeah! I mean.... errr... sorry to hear that. Just glad it's not just me. Actually mine also did a windows update before DDO updated as well. (might have been last night for me... but I left my computer on, and at some point it updated. )

J1NG

Ah, so players here experiencing issue with 64bit client is on Windows 10? My 10 rig just did an update, and so it's probably a good time to go test there if that's what others are experiencing. Currently in 11 and no issues thus far.

Back in a bit.

J1NG

J1NG

Just went and tried to get the 10 rig to crash or anything in 64bit client, but it's working flawlessly here no matter what I do... :confused:

Sorry fella's, not sure what more to add here, other than attempt a repair or reinstall if the 64bit client is a deal breaker. Otherwise, given how these things often turn out, I'd just tough it out on the 32bit client for now instead and hope the next update will resort out the 64bit client.

J1NG

Jeronimo

I also have an issue, after the June 14 update, using win 10. The 64 bit client crashes, but without any error message, after showing the initial splash screen but before starting the "load" sequence. The win 32 client works fine.

Edit: A repair resolved my issue.

Last edited:

CultoftheFish

I'm suffering from the same issues; win 10, ran a slurry of updates yesterday (windows, Nvidia, DDO) and starting after the new splash screen (which is beautiful BTW) the game crashes/closes without any other indication. Currently redownloading for a client-side repair, but based on the experiences of others, I'm doubtful.

As an aside, I think it'll take me a little while longer to acclimate to the new forums.

Edit: Finished repair and the problem persists. To clarify, yes, it seems only the 64-bit client is affected, able to log into the 32-bit - but that's not really the point.

Last edited:

Jeronimo

I also have an issue, after the June 14 update, using win 10. The 64 bit client crashes, but without any error message, after showing the initial splash screen but before starting the "load" sequence. The win 32 client works fine.
Quoting myself. 😁 My issue was resolved by a repair of the installation. Everything works ok now.

Just a heads up everyone. Microsoft released an update to .Net framework on June 13th. After i applied the update on June 16th DDO will no longer run after entering the character selector, once you click on a character to enter the world the game locks up fully, in my case even locking up my pc. Currnetly running Win 11 22H2 and DDO 64 bit client.

I did a bug report to SSG and got the usual generic response that they sent it on to the team, sighs! Anyone have a alternate fix for this?

J1NG

I did a bug report to SSG and got the usual generic response that they sent it on to the team, sighs! Anyone have a alternate fix for this?
If it really is that particular update that caused the issue, have you tried to uninstall that particular update? Win 11 has such a function I believe where you can uninstall a particular update if it's causing issues and it won't reinstall it again on its own after doing so.

J1NG

Silk

The game works on one w10 PC but not the other and can't figure out what the issue is. On the 2nd w10 pc game just freezes at black screen and got around that by using my DND folder from my other PC, the one that is in the Documents folder that hold user preferences etc.

That get it working and it loads to the character select screen however once here no matter where I click with my mouse game just totally freezes up, music keep playing but cant alt tab or kill the client via task mananger, I have to ctrl alt del sign on and sign back in.

I have done a repair of the client, made sure the whole folder the game is installed too is in my anti virus exceptions, tried rename/deleting the dndclient.exe and redownloading it, made sure I have directx9 etc.

As soon as I click on ANYTHING at the character select screen the vissuals and game freezes except for the game music which keeps on playing and when I do click that first time before the client locks up the mouse cursor pop back to the center of my character and just stays stuck there.

Last edited:
The game works on one w10 PC but not the other and can't figure out what the issue is. On the 2nd w10 pc game just freezes at black screen and got around that by using my DND folder from my other PC, the one that is in the Documents folder that hold user preferences etc.

That get it working and it loads to the character select screen however once here no matter where I click with my mouse game just totally freezes up, music keep playing but cant alt tab or kill the client via task mananger, I have to ctrl alt del sign on and sign back in.

I have done a repair of the client, made sure the whole folder the game is installed too is in my anti virus exceptions, tried rename/deleting the dndclient.exe and redownloading it, made sure I have directx9 etc.

As soon as I click on ANYTHING at the character select screen the vissuals and game freezes except for the game music which keeps on playing and when I do click that first time before the client locks up the mouse cursor pop back to the center of my character and just stays stuck there.
Yes, this is exactly what's happening on my Win11 pc {Alienware R7}, same crap! But my older macbook running bootcamp and Win10 still plays the game fine.