Alchemist spell recipe question

Hoccleve

Hi all,

Playing an alchemist for the first time. Got to L20 and after the sluggish start, it's great. However, I have a question. At L20 because of the gear I have available, I decided to respec from a fire build to an acid build (yep, I know about poison advantages, just tolerate me). Very straightforward to redo enhancements etc, but in the levelling up I didn't take all the acid spells, so I have some gaps. I went off to the right vendor and bought recipes for the ones I have missing. Problem now is I don't know how to use them. I have tried inscribing like a scroll, but it doesn't seem possible to 'equip' the recipe. I've tried various other forms of fiddling about with them, but can't seem to get them to do anything except sit in my inventory. Any help or enlightenment appreciated! Thanks!

Mary

alchemist is the same as wizard or artificer in that you will need to inscribe your spells. There's a few vendors that sell the scrolls, house J, house C, the portable hole - they work like any other inscribable spell, you must purchase inscription materials of the same level as the spell you wish to inscribe. Alchemist spells are lvl 1-6. just make sure you have the materials and highlight the scroll and hit your inscribe key or click on your bar and it should inscribe the spells.

There are rare spells that do not appear as scrolls in the game and can only be learned on level up.

What I do when I make my alchemist is @ lvl 1 I ride over to house J and inscribe all my spells. you may inscribe lvl 1-6 even though you will not be able to see them. Just go through the list on the vendor, buy them and inscribe them all, then when you level up you will see which spells you could not purchase, the rare spells, and select them when you level up - this will allow you to fill your spell book with all the spells.

Another way to do this is to lesser reincarnate. When you LR you will be able to select spells to add to your spellbook and your spellbook is not reset. It is only reset if you do a heroic or racial or iconic reincarnation.

Hoccleve

Well that is odd. I am familiar with inscribing from having played a wizard, but it just didn't seem to work for me with the alchemist recipes. I went to House J vendor and could purchase them all no problem, and they appeared in my inventory. However, when I highlighted the recipe and tried to inscribe, nothing happened (no processing bar, no result). I've got the inscribe materials and I am using the inscribe feat. However, it's good to know that is how it should work. I'll try again when the game is reopened.

Hoccleve

Even odder. Back in game, and now worked fine. I don't think I did anything different. For anyone reading this in future, the only tip I have is that you don't seem to 'equip' a recipe (unlike a scroll) when you highlight to inscribe, but it does work just as Mary say above.

Shamandin

Even odder. Back in game, and now worked fine. I don't think I did anything different. For anyone reading this in future, the only tip I have is that you don't seem to 'equip' a recipe (unlike a scroll) when you highlight to inscribe, but it does work just as Mary say above.

One thing to remember with Wizard, Artificers and Alchemists - you don't have to actually equip the scroll (by double-clicking on it in your inventory) to scribe it. You just have to select it so that it appears in your target orb. What I usually do when mass scribing (like Mary, I tend to do as much at level 1 as I can), I put my scribe scroll ability in Hotbar 1, Button 1, so that all I have to do is click on the scroll and then hit '1'. And, no, I won't cop to how many times I've forgotten to put the ability back that's usually there. :D