Am I doing searches wrong?

Jummby

I can very rarely get any results to show up on the wiki when looking for items.

Like, say for example that I want to look for the item "Aetherband". I write Aetherband in the search field and the only thing that shows up in the search results is a link to the "Named item sets" page because it's mentioned there.
Same thing if I try Item:Aetherband which is what that shows up on the dropdown when writing in the search field.
It's like certain types of pages are being excluded from the search results even though I'm including all namespaces. It obviously knows the item and its page since it shows in the dropdown, but it still won't return it in the page results.
Type in what you want on Google. Ddo than what you are trying to find

Yeah, the search engine on the wikki is case sensitive and all the titles are capitalized. I'd like to know how that happened. It's mind boggling. I don't think I've ever seen a search engine that forces you to capitalize.

Lacci

Yeah, the search engine on the wikki is case sensitive and all the titles are capitalized. I'd like to know how that happened. It's mind boggling. I don't think I've ever seen a search engine that forces you to capitalize.
what browser are you using ? Because for me, it´s not case sensitive. Capital letters or not, I always get the same search results.
(I´m using chrome)

CBDunk

Actually, the wiki search pop-up results are pretty good;

Untitled.png

PurpleSerpent

Monster Hunter of Moderate Renown
As I've stated before, this is part and parcel of the default search bar included with the MediaWiki software the wiki is built on. We had a third-party extension that improved searching, but it stopped being maintained years ago and no longer works with our version of MediaWiki. (That's the reason our search bar broke entirely for a week back in 2021, for the record.)

what browser are you using ? Because for me, it´s not case sensitive. Capital letters or not, I always get the same search results.
(I´m using chrome)
I'm using Firefox, but I don't think it matters. I'm mostly talking about the search suggestions in the dropdown. I try to get directly to the article I'm looking for from there, I don't really look at the results list unless I'm not sure what I should be searching for. The problem with capitalization is weird. It's inconsistent and hard to predict. For example, if you want the article titled "String of Prayer Beads" and you type "string of p" you will have zero search suggestions in the dropdown. If you Type "String of P" you'll get the expected behavior. If you type "the night" you get zero suggestions, but if you type "The Night" you get what's expected. However, "Bring Me" and "bring me" will both get you the article titled "Bring Me the Head of Ghola-Fan!" as the first suggestion. I'm not interested in guessing, so I just capitalize by default. That way I get consistent behavior. It's annoying to have to remember that quirk and have to do the extra work on the keyboard.

Livmo

I use the search engine in the default browser on the machine I'm currently on and always add DDO.

Tonight I've Googled:
  • Tactical Detonation in DDO
  • Past lives in DDO
  • How to bake chicken
Got everything I wanted on the 1st hit.

Lacci

That way I get consistent behavior. It's annoying to have to remember that quirk and have to do the extra work on the keyboard.
Indeed, the auto complete window is inconsistent. For the "Aetherband" it makes no difference, for "the night" it doesn´t work.
But, You´ll get the same under search results, whether you search for "the night" or "The Night"

Correct, but not an "obvious" link and still not listed in the search results.
Well, it is listed under "search results" and the link is highlighted in a different color.