Basic denoobification

ok this post is for the actually new players.. never played a min.
I will try to cover what i have gleaned from playing etc.. there is no post that tells folks what does what. I will try to update as i learn. If i am wrong PLEASE correct me.

Basic stats. OK you have x slots for equipment.. but only the highest level of the basic stat counts..ie dex/str cont etc you cant have 3 items with 4 dex and expect 12 dex..only the highest.
Same goes for your skills. Other things will affect it. Ie if you have 2 items with + to sneak..1 with+2 and another with +4 only get the +4.
This goes for all skills.
Inisghtful/profane/ quality all are dif and will stack.
mrr/prr. this works the same way

Augments.. they do not stack. defense(blue) will not stack with sheltering(prr/mrr) same applies with damage augs..you cannont have 2 xd6 poison augments..only 1 will function and ya wasting a slot. However 1 poison and 1 fire will work cuz they dif types. Same goes for damage guard.

Bonuses.. bonuses to skills will stack with your feat/enhancement/level up but can only have it on 1 item..2 of same will not stack..only highest will affect you.
Insight ful/qual will stack. Ie can only have 1 of each..2 items with + search wont stack, but highest will stack with your feat search.

BaB basic attack bonus..+1 per level..pretty much written in stone.

Set bonuses.. you cannnot have 2 sets with same bonuses..ie artifact damage..only highest will affect you. you can wear dif sets if bonuses are different.

Past lives..no clue..info is extremely confusing..some folks say they 18/2 and on 1st life.. but cant do that without reicarnating..so until some REAL info comes my way..i dont know.

Racial pl.. same thing..but pretty sure ya shud get lvl 20.

A lot i dont know. Alot i need to know..Alot to be put in laymans terms. I would like folks to know all the info before they plan a char..unlike me lol.
any help will be welcome. I have a degree in electronic engineering and robotics.. but didnt see any nand/nor statements in the ddo wiki thats is rather confusing.

misterski

I will try to cover what i have gleaned from playing etc.. there is no post that tells folks what does what. I will try to update as i learn. If i am wrong PLEASE correct me.

Basic stats. OK you have x slots for equipment.. but only the highest level of the basic stat counts..ie dex/str cont etc you cant have 3 items with 4 dex and expect 12 dex..only the highest.
Same goes for your skills. Other things will affect it. Ie if you have 2 items with + to sneak..1 with+2 and another with +4 only get the +4.

Augments.. they do not stack. defense(blue) will not stack with sheltering(prr/mrr) same applies with damage augs..you cannont have 2 xd6 poison augments..only 1 will function and ya wasting a slot. However 1 poison and 1 fire will work cuz they dif types. Same goes for damage guard.

Bonuses.. bonuses to skills will stack with your feat/enhancement/level up but can only have it on 1 item..2 of same will not stack..only highest will affect you.
Insight ful/qual will stack. Ie can only have 1 of each..2 items with + search wont stack, but highest will stack with your feat search.

BaB basic attack bonus..+1 per level..pretty much written in stone.

Set bonuses.. you cannnot have 2 sets with same bonuses..ie artifact damage..only highest will affect you. you can wear dif sets if bonuses are different.

Past lives..no clue..info is extremely confusing..some folks say they 18/2 and on 1st life.. but cant do that without reicarnating..so until some REAL info comes my way..i dont know.

Racial pl.. same thing..but pretty sure ya shud get lvl 20.

A lot i dont know. Alot i need to know..Alot to be put in laymans terms. I would like folks to know all the info before they plan a char..unlike me lol.
any help will be welcome. I have a degree in electronic engineering and robotics.. but didnt see any nand/nor statements in the ddo wiki thats is rather confusing.
There are three types of stacking stats/skills, basic stat/skill, insightful stat/skill, and exceptional stat/skill. For example you could have +5 dex on an item, +3 insightful dex on another item, and +1 exceeptional dex on another item and they would all stack to +9 dex.

18/2 just refers to their class split, which means at level 20 they have 18 levels in one class and 2 in another class. No reincarnation needed.

Heroic and racial reincarnation require you to be at level 20 anyways. Epic reincarnation requires at least level 30 and sets you back to level 20. Iconic reincarnation requires at least level 30 and is treated like a heroic reincarnation.

Scrag

Got to know what you are looking for in the wiki! Its very convoluted and certain things like Item Groups aren't exactly the easiest to navigate. Item Groups is a VERY powerful resource though. Here is what I use on a nearly daily basis:

-> https://ddowiki.com/page/Reincarnation - Scroll down to the bit where it says Step by Step

-> https://ddowiki.com/page/Stack - How all the different whatsits stack for maximum stackage

-> https://ddowiki.com/page/Category:Item_groups - Found some cool effect you liked on a weapon/armor/trinket? This is your page. Its scary, but SUPER helpful

-> https://ddowiki.com/page/Crafting - Crafting. This is ULTRA scary as a noob. Cannith crafting is very accessible, can be leveled slowly (watch a tutorial to max it out fast), and has good bonuses. See:

-> cannith crafting links - https://ddowiki.com/page/Cannith_Crafting/table_2c https://ddowiki.com/page/Cannith_Crafting https://ddowiki.com/page/Cannith_Crafting_Tutorial

-> https://ddowiki.com/page/Adventure_Pack - All the adventure packs! Find something in your level range, have fun. This works best as VIP since everything is open, unless you got the free/cheap? adventure pack coupon/ddostore item a few weeks ago

-> https://ddowiki.com/page/Named_item_sets - All the named sets + their bonuses. If you find some bonuses you like, you can use this page to hunt down what you need to get what you want from which quests

Last edited:

Nebless

A good way to check / monitor / see what the heck you have is when you first log in and then when you equip / unequip items you get a read out in your chat box with the initial log in listing everything.

Take the time to go through it as it will say things like 'you have 2 items granting a boost to speed, Feet of Foot for 10% and Guild buff for 5% - you have a 10% (higher of the 2) boost to speed ... etc....

Sometimes it can't be helped like getting guild buffs, but on the whole it'll let you look at what you have equipped and weed out the lower dupe's so you can build your character stronger.

Also opening up your character panel when you equip items will show the overall effects good or bad that item will have on your characters (more hitpoints, less fort, better fire resitance, lose a stat add etc....)

misterski

There are three types of stacking stats/skills, basic stat/skill, insightful stat/skill, and exceptional stat/skill. For example you could have +5 dex on an item, +3 insightful dex on another item, and +1 exceeptional dex on another item and they would all stack to +9 dex.

18/2 just refers to their class split, which means at level 20 they have 18 levels in one class and 2 in another class. No reincarnation needed.

Heroic and racial reincarnation require you to be at level 20 anyways. Epic reincarnation requires at least level 30 and sets you back to level 20. Iconic reincarnation requires at least level 30 and is treated like a heroic reincarnation.
Forgot to mention the other types of stacking stat/skill bonuses: artifact, alchemical, and profane. I won't even go into the absurdity that is spellpower stacking, that way lies madness...

C-Dog

See link in sig, "Basics of DDO". All the above detail is good, but there is a LOT to DDO - don't be intimidated, or feel you need to try to learn/understand/internalize it all before you play. Just get out there and learn by doing with a throw-away 1st-build that you won't mind retiring*, and the important details will stick as you go.

(* As mentioned in that guide, it's rare that your first character will be something you want to continue with, too many pitfalls, too many easy mistakes to be made, and too easy to guess wrong to start and realize you'd rather run something else! Save your best character name for your second (or later?) character, once you have real, hands-on, in-game experience and a better feel for what you really want to build/run all the way to 20 (or 30?) the first time!)

ProllyDidItWrong

I've been playing DDO off and on since 2006 and while I'm not technically a noob, I still don't know half of this stuff and so many other things about the game.
I'm the biggest DDO Boob there ever was. I pike my own solo runs and throw heals at the NPCs. I thought the shrines were pure evil for the first 3 years and wouldn't touch them. I once spent 156 shards trying to re roll a VoM.... I could go on, but I smell cookies coming from the kitchen and I'm getting distracted.
I guess my point is that while knowing all the ins and outs of the game is kewl and helps gameplay some (or even a lot in some cases) you dont really have to be a meta wiz or have a gazillion past lives etc. to /DDO. I've tried to bring RL friends to this game and they all bailed because they couldn't immediately rise on the leader boards, solo R10 with a first life toon or got burnt out on the PL and gear grind. I've watched so many people get so obsessed with trying to do/ understand everything all at once that they just gave up and went on to play other mind-numbing games. DDO should be fun and not be a chore. If you start to feel this way you may be doing it wrong. Mmmmm cookies!
PDIW

I've been playing DDO off and on since 2006 and while I'm not technically a noob, I still don't know half of this stuff and so many other things about the game.
I'm the biggest DDO Boob there ever was. I pike my own solo runs and throw heals at the NPCs. I thought the shrines were pure evil for the first 3 years and wouldn't touch them. I once spent 156 shards trying to re roll a VoM.... I could go on, but I smell cookies coming from the kitchen and I'm getting distracted.
I guess my point is that while knowing all the ins and outs of the game is kewl and helps gameplay some (or even a lot in some cases) you dont really have to be a meta wiz or have a gazillion past lives etc. to /DDO. I've tried to bring RL friends to this game and they all bailed because they couldn't immediately rise on the leader boards, solo R10 with a first life toon or got burnt out on the PL and gear grind. I've watched so many people get so obsessed with trying to do/ understand everything all at once that they just gave up and went on to play other mind-numbing games. DDO should be fun and not be a chore. If you start to feel this way you may be doing it wrong. Mmmmm cookies!
PDIW
so far..been a chore..id like to make my toon as good as i can 1st time out. I have learned a lot on my toons..what i DONT want more than anything.
but it feels like i must have wiki open all the time. All info is vague or rquires linking to YET ANOTHER WIKI page lol. I got the toon i like to 20 but now im stuck. if i reincarnate i lose all my favor. that just sucks.. Not a fan of treadmill games.

Br4d

so far..been a chore..id like to make my toon as good as i can 1st time out. I have learned a lot on my toons..what i DONT want more than anything.
but it feels like i must have wiki open all the time. All info is vague or rquires linking to YET ANOTHER WIKI page lol. I got the toon i like to 20 but now im stuck. if i reincarnate i lose all my favor. that just sucks.. Not a fan of treadmill games.

If you don't like treadmill games you are playing the wrong game.

If you like the way the game plays then just do the 2 reincarnations to get a 36 point build and do not reincarnate after that. Make alts instead.

C-Dog

If you don't like treadmill games you are playing the wrong game.
Only if you buy in to the treadmill. If you ignore it, then it's just not there. Really that easy. :cool:

(btw - see link in sig, ''basics of DDO'' - a little more meta, but I think relevant)

Scrag

Bunch of things packed into that tiny little box of text!

First, jump into random 20-29 parties with your new epic char, get some levels, slot some destiny points! You can run all the way to 32, and if you like your char a lot, you probably should, to get the 30-32 weirdness out of the way.

You might never tr! You might just use your character to farm for an alt, or that char, trying to perfect whatever you want. You can always reset ALL of your destiny and enhancement points and make a pretty much brand new-ish (feats excluded) character with that class and feat choices, and keep all your favor and everything.

Just because tr-ing is what a lot of people do doesn't mean you have to.

HOWEVER! Tr-ing means more build points, which means stronger base character, plus past life bonuses for that character that apply to everything. Free Feats for Past Lives! Use your epic person to farm gear for your next life, _before_ you TR, and then there is no real work. You just take your second run through life with your character with all gear pre-selected. You can do whatever quests excite you and don't have to chase this or that or the other thing, since you will be geared up for maximum fun, rather than struggling to collect gear for set bonuses to stay alive.

Good luck! It is only as much of a treadmill as you choose to make it!