BF THF Paly Critique

Eleazzar

So I decided to try and role my first BF THF Paladin. Please give advise on this build to help make it better.

THF BF Paladin
Paladin 20
Lawful Good Bladeforged

Stats
36pt Tome Level Up
---- ---- --------
Strength 12 +8 4: CHA
Dexterity 10 +8 8: CHA
Constitution 18 +8 12: CHA
Intelligence 10 +8 16: CHA
Wisdom 6 +8 20: CHA
Charisma 18 +8 24: CHA
28: CHA

Skills
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
------------------------------------------------------------
Heal 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 20
Jump 1½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ 11
UMD 2 ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ 11
------------------------------------------------------------
8 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 2
Max 8 3 3 3 3 3 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 5 5 5 5 5 5

Feats

1 : Adamantine Body
3 : Two Handed Fighting
6 : Precision
9 : Improved Critical: Slashing
12 : Improved Two Handed Fighting
15 : Greater Two Handed Fighting
18 : Weapon Focus: Slashing
21 Epic : Overwhelming Critical
22 Destiny: Perfect Two Handed Fighting
24 Epic : Child of: Lord of Blades
25 Destiny: Doublestrike
27 Epic : Beloved of: Lord of Blades
28 Destiny: Deific Warding
30 Epic : Blinding Speed
30 Legend : Scion of: Arborea

1 Deity : Follower of: Lord of Blades
6 Deity : Bladesworn Transformation

Last edited:

Kodewraith

Overall it looks fine, minor nits and a couple thing if you are going CHA based:
  • You'll need a 15 Strength by Level 3 to take the THF line. I don't think your tome will have kicked in enough by then unless you have some other inherent bonuses like HOrc lives. If you start with STR of 14 you should be fine. You can also swap Precision and THF and you'll probably be fine.
  • If you're going to use CHA for hit/dmg then you need Magical training between 15 and 20 for access to the Feydark Illusionist Tree. At 20, a single point in an ED that gives Magical Training will unlock that tree, but you'll still need the 7 odd Enhancement points in Feydark.
I usually find Quicken or Empower Healing to be more useful than WF:Slash.
I also usually find my UMD is high enough (because of your super high CHA modifier) that I'd swap intimidate for UMD or Jump. For jump, just use jump pots. Not having to chase mobs around is super useful.

For Enhancement points on a CHA paladin, I usually have 41 in KotC, 31 in SD and then 7 in Feydark for CHA hit/dmg. You'll have 1 point left over which you probably want in the racial tree for Healer's friend (which means you'll need a couple extra odd enhancement points) You can take something more useful than blinding speed at 30 (I recommend Embodiement of Law). You can get perma haste from gear with a 15% swiftness augment. Alternatively you have very very high saves, so the no fail Save on 1 feats are useful (you can get no fail will saves easily from Exalted Angel).

Eleazzar

Overall it looks fine, minor nits and a couple thing if you are going CHA based:
  • You'll need a 15 Strength by Level 3 to take the THF line. I don't think your tome will have kicked in enough by then unless you have some other inherent bonuses like HOrc lives. If you start with STR of 14 you should be fine. You can also swap Precision and THF and you'll probably be fine.
  • If you're going to use CHA for hit/dmg then you need Magical training between 15 and 20 for access to the Feydark Illusionist Tree. At 20, a single point in an ED that gives Magical Training will unlock that tree, but you'll still need the 7 odd Enhancement points in Feydark.
I also usually find my UMD is high enough (because of your super high CHA modifier) that I'd swap intimidate for UMD or Jump. For jump, just use jump pots. Not having to chase mobs around is super useful.

For Enhancement points on a CHA paladin, I usually have 41 in KotC, 31 in SD and then 7 in Feydark for CHA hit/dmg. You'll have 1 point left over which you probably want in the racial tree for Healer's friend (which means you'll need a couple extra odd enhancement points) You can take something more useful than blinding speed at 30 (I recommend Embodiement of Law). You can get perma haste from gear with a 15% swiftness augment. Alternatively you have very very high saves, so the no fail Save on 1 feats are useful (you can get no fail will saves easily from Exalted Angel).
Thanks for the advice. I am going to tweak the build for some to this. There is an issue I think now since I am looking more into it. Due to adamanine body, it takes up a feat and I put Magical training in the lvl 15 slot and pushed Greater THF to 18 (I hope its not a big DPS hit) and to repalce the SFW: Slashing.

OK so at 20, I am going to use a respec token from Hall of the Mark to swap out Magical training to Quicken. Now to figure out empower heal.

Last edited:

unbongwah

I don't think your tome will have kicked in enough by then unless you have some other inherent bonuses like HOrc lives.
That's incorrect, +3s apply at level 3 so OP will be fine.

@OP: with a +8 Supreme tome, you could start DEX 7 CON 19 and take Precision at level 15. Dunno if that extra point of CON really helps, but hey, it's an option.
I always take Quicken on Bladeforged because Reconstruct SLA feels soooo slowwww without it. :) I would start with Mental Toughness at level 6 then swap it to Quicken at level 20 once you take an ED core with Magical Training.

Eleazzar

That's incorrect, +3s apply at level 3 so OP will be fine.

@OP: with a +8 Supreme tome, you could start DEX 7 CON 19 and take Precision at level 15. Dunno if that extra point of CON really helps, but hey, it's an option.

I always take Quicken on Bladeforged because Reconstruct SLA feels soooo slowwww without it. :) I would start with Mental Toughness at level 6 then swap it to Quicken at level 20 once you take an ED core with Magical Training.
ok I did not know I could go that low on Dex. I dropped dex to 8, bumped INT to 12 (I like skills), moved Magical training to 6, move prcision to 15.

unbongwah

This build presumes you're using greatswords for Favored Weapon bonuses from KotC and Divine Crusader.
BF THF Feydark Knight
Paladin 20
Lawful Good Bladeforged

Stats
. . . . . . . .36pt . . Tome . . Level Up
. . . . . . . .---- . . ----. . .--------
Strength. . . . 12. . . .+8. . . .4: CHA
Dexterity . . . .8. . . .+8. . . .8: CHA
Constitution. . 18. . . .+8. . . 12: CHA
Intelligence. . 12. . . .+8. . . 16: CHA
Wisdom. . . . . .6. . . .+8. . . 20: CHA
Charisma. . . . 18. . . .+8. . . 24: CHA
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .28: CHA

Skills
. . . . . 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
. . . . .------------------------------------------------------------
Concent . . .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .2 .2 .2 .2 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .23
Intim . . 4. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 23
Heal. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1. 1. 1. 1. 2. 2. 2. 2. 2. 2. 16
Repair. . 1. 1. . .1 . . 1. . .1 . . 1. . .1 . . 1. . .1 . . 1. . .1 .11
UMD . . . 2. . .1 . . 1. . .1 . . 1. . .1 . . 1. . .1 . . 1. . .1 . . 11
Tumble. . 1. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1
. . . . .------------------------------------------------------------
. . . . .12. 4. 4. 4. 4. 4. 5. 5. 5. 5. 5. 5. 5. 5. 6. 6. 6. 6. 6. 6

Feats

.1. . . . : Adamantine Body
.3. . . . : Two Handed Fighting
.6. . . . : Mental Toughness
.9. . . . : Improved Critical: Slashing
12. . . . : Improved Two Handed Fighting
15. . . . : Precision
18. . . . : Greater Two Handed Fighting
20 Swap. .: Quicken Spell replaces Mental Toughness
21 Epic . : Overwhelming Critical
22 Destiny: Perfect Two Handed Fighting
24 Epic . : Construct Exemplar
25 Destiny: Crush Weakness OR Doublestrike
27 Epic . : Blinding Speed OR Bulwark of Defense
28 Destiny: Embodiment of Law
30 Epic . : Epic Damage Reduction
30 Legend : Scion of: Arborea OR Mechanus
31 Destiny: Enhanced Elemental Dice

.1 Deity. : Follower of: Lord of Blades
.6 Deity. : Bladesworn Transformation

Enhancements (Spent: 80 +2r +1u / Max: 80 +2r +1u AP)

Knight of the Chalice (41 AP)
  • Slayer of Evil, Courage of Heaven, Slayer of Evil II, Improved Courage of Heaven, Slayer of Evil III, Champion of Good
    1. Extra Smites I, Improved Second Strikes III
    2. Divine Might III, Exalted Cleave: Melee, Action Boost: Power III
    3. Holy Combatant, Divine Sacrifice: Melee III, Lead the Charge I, Exalted Smite: Melee III
    4. Censure Demons, Vigor of Life
    5. Ascendency, Censure Outsiders, Vigor of Life, Avenging Cleave: Melee, Holy Retribution: Melee
Bladeforged (18 AP)
  • Improved Fortification
    1. Repair Systems: Mechanist III, Construct Stability I
    2. Communion of Scribing III, Great Weapon Aptitude III, Fearsome Presence
    3. (none)
    4. Power of the Forge, Soulbound Plating
Vistani Knife Fighter (11 AP)
  • Knife Expertise, Knife Juggler, Quick Reflexes
    1. Undead Hunter, Mist Stalker, Acrobatic II
    2. Haste Boost III
Feydark Illusionist (7 AP)
  • Find Familiar: Pseudo Dragon
    1. Familiar's Flourish I, Illusory Weaponry
    2. Familiar's Flourish II
Sacred Defender (6 AP)
  • Holy Bastion, Sacred Defense
    1. Extra Lay On Hands I, Improved Sacred Defense: Resilient Defense III
Leveling Guide
  • Feydark Illusionist: Find Familiar: Pseudo Dragon
    1. Familiar's Flourish I, Illusory Weaponry
    2. Familiar's Flourish II
  • Bladeforged: Improved Fortification
    1. Repair Systems: Mechanist III, Construct Stability I
    2. Communion of Scribing III
  • Sacred Defender: Holy Bastion, Sacred Defense
    1. Extra Lay On Hands I, Improved Sacred Defense: Resilient Defense III
  • Knight of the Chalice: Slayer of Evil, Courage of Heaven, Slayer of Evil II, Improved Courage of Heaven
    1. Extra Smites I, Improved Second Strikes III
    2. Divine Might III, Exalted Cleave: Melee, Action Boost: Power III
    3. Holy Combatant, Divine Sacrifice: Melee III, Lead the Charge I, Exalted Smite: Melee III
    4. Vigor of Life
    5. Ascendency, Vigor of Life
15. KoC5 Avenging Cleave: Melee; KoC5 Holy Retribution: Melee; KoC4 Censure Demons
16. KoC5 Censure Outsiders; Vis0 Knife Expertise; Vis1 Mist Stalker
17. Vis1 Undead Hunter; Vis1 Acrobatic I; Vis2 Haste Boost I, II
18. Vis2 Haste Boost III; KoC0 Slayer of Evil III; Vis1 Acrobatic II; Vis0 Knife Juggler
19. Vis0 Quick Reflexes; Bld2 Fearsome Presence; Bld2 Great Weapon Aptitude I, II
20. Bld2 Great Weapon Aptitude III; KoC0 Champion of Good; Bld4 Power of the Forge; Bld4 Soulbound Plating

Destinies (Spent: 53 (40 +13pdp) / Max: 53 (40 +13pdp) AP)

Divine Crusader (37 AP)
  • Just Cause, Confront any Foe, Weather any Blow, Sunder Evil
    1. Divine Smite, Consecration III
    2. Endless Smiting III, Holy Mantle
    3. Strike with Poise III, Crusade, How Dare You Strike Me III
    4. Heavenly Presence, Blessed Strikes III, Cower Before Me, Rend Armor
    5. Mighty Crusade, Law of the Divine, Blessed Blades, Beckon Divinity
Fury of the wild (13 AP)
  • Die Hard, Die Harder
    1. Epic Strike: Adrenaline III, Enduring I
    2. Speed or Strength: Boulder's Might III, Fear My Vengeance I
    3. Fury Selector: Furious III
Fatesinger (3 AP)
  • Fatesinger's Repertoire
    1. Epic Strike: The Sword Sings
Disclaimer: I haven't spent much time in epics since the ED revamp; but IIRC you can now use Adrenaline while in defensive stance (you just can't use Rage as well) and Adrenalized Exalted Smite is still plenty potent.

Last edited:

Eleazzar

This build presumes you're using greatswords for Favored Weapon bonuses from KotC and Divine Crusader.

Disclaimer: I haven't spent much time in epics since the ED revamp; but IIRC you can now use Adrenaline while in defensive stance (you just can't use Rage as well) and Adrenalized Exalted Smite is still plenty potent.
Yeah, I will be using greatswords. Still need to farm for an Achievable end game one tho.

Kodewraith

Unbongwah is correct on tomes, Ignore that part, I'm a moron.
Quicken is also super useful but I think that unless you give up points in SD, you won't have enough enhancement points to get reconstruct out of the racial tree. You can drop back to 23 ish points in SD, but there's a lot of good tuff in Tier4. I've usually just lived with Lay on Hands. Also note that iirc empower healing does not work with Lay on Hands, I use it for Cure Critical and for the Exalted Angel mass cure SLA.

I'll post my recently updated CHA pally framework. This looks pretty much identical to mine except BF (I think I take Magical Training at L1 since it has no prereqs). I don't know if you can take Child of Helm to get Bastard Swords as an alternative favored weapon. You can at 23 in the Divine Crusader ED.

Eleazzar

Unbongwah is correct on tomes, Ignore that part, I'm a moron.
Quicken is also super useful but I think that unless you give up points in SD, you won't have enough enhancement points to get reconstruct out of the racial tree. You can drop back to 23 ish points in SD, but there's a lot of good tuff in Tier4. I've usually just lived with Lay on Hands. Also note that iirc empower healing does not work with Lay on Hands, I use it for Cure Critical and for the Exalted Angel mass cure SLA.

I'll post my recently updated CHA pally framework. This looks pretty much identical to mine except BF (I think I take Magical Training at L1 since it has no prereqs). I don't know if you can take Child of Helm to get Bastard Swords as an alternative favored weapon. You can at 23 in the Divine Crusader ED.
Good point about teh LoH's. If you can post your build that would be a greate guide and some good perspective.

Eltronin

Kobolds don't matter
I love BF Paladins and really enjoy playing them. If your not fully set on BF or this is your first paladin, you could go human for the extra feat at lvl 1, take magical training then and go CHA build very easily. Just making this suggestion as an alternative if BF is not a must.

Hobgoblin

i kinda feel like cha based is a trap - especially on bf. if your not going for the stance, and i raid a lot, so i dont like stance, it feels like str is easier to get higher then cha. just me. i also dont like blinding speed in there.

misterski

i kinda feel like cha based is a trap - especially on bf. if your not going for the stance, and i raid a lot, so i dont like stance, it feels like str is easier to get higher then cha. just me. i also dont like blinding speed in there.
CHA synergizes with Divine Might, however. STR has no trance for...reasons...