Companions

stevefarn224

Do most people have pets or companions.

I bought a rat - and a top hat for it - but tried to put the top hat on and it has disappeared (the hat that is)

Can you get rid of companions. ?

vryxnr

Open your inventory, you should see a paw print tab on the right. That is your pet tab. From there you can summon and dismiss.

Reactions: dur

dur

aka Cybersquirt
Folks might have both.. you can dismiss both.

Pets do nothing, far as combat. Companions fight.

AustrianDeathMachine

Open your pet tab as described above. Find the rat and look at the second set of bars on the tab see if you see the top hat. if you see it make sure it is toggled on.

RangerOne

Got em, never use them. There was a time when it seemed my pets were blocking my cleric's spells and you can't convince me otherwise. So back in the box, Jocko.

ChaoticDrivel

I don't use them for a simple reason:

Game performance continues to be one of the biggest issues in DDO - despite all the improvements they swear they can see(or so they tell us). I don't want to contribute to that - certainly not with things that are merely cosmetic.

Jeronimo

I don't use them for a simple reason:

Game performance continues to be one of the biggest issues in DDO - despite all the improvements they swear they can see(or so they tell us). I don't want to contribute to that - certainly not with things that are merely cosmetic.
I don't believe that they actually affect performance much. I currently run on a 5 year old crap laptop with 6 clients/accounts at the same time, all with pets plus 4 Feydark Illusionist familiars (it's like a virtual petting zoo running around :) ). I don't have any noticable difference in performance with or without the pets.

Dandonk

This is not the title you're looking for
I used to collect pets. Because I'm silly.

Lost them all in the server transfer, so not bothering anymore. Sad Dan.

Zavina

Ms Stabby Stabby
I have a cosmetic pet (blue macaw), which was a gift from my TR partner back in 2015. I use it all the time on my main. People waffle on about cosmetic pets affecting game performance, and I've been yelled at in party to "get rid of the pet" as someone "didn't want to use their graphics to create my pet that did nothing" (kicked them from party, and enjoyed their e-tears of their wailing in my dm's for being mean).

When there are a number of casters in a raid party, and their spells are kicking off, my small pet won't be the straw that breaks the camels back (or sends the hamsters out on strike).

ChaoticDrivel

I don't believe that they actually affect performance much. I currently run on a 5 year old crap laptop with 6 clients/accounts at the same time, all with pets plus 4 Feydark Illusionist familiars (it's like a virtual petting zoo running around :) ). I don't have any noticable difference in performance with or without the pets.
When you have many more people with them in public zones, or in raids - I find it hard to believe they don't have an impact. Same goes for bloody/golden footprints, and other cosmetics.

It's hard to say one way or another. We have had conflicting statements on this from the devs in the past. And I understand why, to some degree($).

I don't begrudge people using them. These sort of things should be an option. But if they negatively impact performace by even 2%. That's 2 much for me :)

NomadDog

DDO Hawaiian Style!
I have to admit that I'm a sucker for the pets. Many of them I've named after actual pets that have passed away. They can cause some visual clutter in enclosed spaces, especially the flying ones. But, in general, I do enjoy having them running around with me.