DDO-Wrapper (custom installer)

Stoner81

Header.png

01.png

Introduction

Greetings and welcome to DDO-Wrapper! This project was born out of the fact that the original setup files provided by Standing Stone Games (SSG) did not work most of the time and/or are miles out of date (as far back as Shadowfell being released). However, they are now working correctly so this isn't needed as much as it used to be but having a more up to date installer saves a lot of time.

I originally uploaded the files provided by SSG for people to install the game in order to avoid the dreaded "Error 201" message and then somebody asked if there were up to date files available so hence here we are.

What Does It Do?

DDO-Wrapper is nothing more than a simple way of copying the needed files to play the game and creating a shortcut. That is quite literally all it does! It simply extracts the files from the included archives and places the files where you wish along with a shortcut for you to run the launcher to start the game. All of the files are in their original form and are not modified in any way, the files come from my own computer which I use to play the game. No registry entries are used either since DDO does not use them at all as far as I can tell!

In addition the DAT file defragger is included with the installer (placed in the Start Menu). It is recommended to run this after each major update (e.g U51 to U52) rather than on each small patch/hotfix.

Screenshots

Here are some screen shots from the install process:

02.jpg

image.png

image.png

image.png

Video

Download Links

In the link below you will have 2 folders, one named "Game Files" and one named "DirectX".

Game Files contains all the files needed for DDO Wrapper to function so please make sure to download them all and verify their MD5 hash.

DirectX contains my new custom installer for the legacy files for DirectX, the files come directly from Microsoft. All I have done is create a self extracting archive which runs the setup file afterwards.

Please allow these application through UAC (User Account Control, present in Windows Vista and onwards) if it is enabled.

Code:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B3Q0p7xoRKsZX3RJZU10bHo4WDg?resourcekey=0-DW1Ma2pLUC53x4km9opVnw&usp=sharing

MD5 File Hashes

Here are the MD5 file hashes for the above links, use something like HashTab to compare them and if your downloaded files have different hashes then re-download the part.

DDO Wrapper.exe = 944321070C6F78882138018A982DF0C3
DDO Wrapper.2 = 512EE172BDB46A81995AF6C94A2D00D4
DDO Wrapper.3 = B15E0E6C90DEF271E86B9A92A5789B7D
DDO Wrapper.4 = 4A33E9078D5FC9AC2FEF3CB63BB5C445
DDO Wrapper.5 = 8C33169FA85EF04592DEBE7334E94373
DDO Wrapper.6 = 1DFEE06F3DC7FE7F845DE5E504DE0CED
DDO Wrapper.7 = DBD8C425ED6D155EF926764F5FFC6A37

Known Issues

1. Anti-virus suites can cause copying issues while DDO-Wrapper installs, therefore I recommend that you disable "on access" protection during the installation process to prevent this. Basically what happens is that the anti-virus detects a new file and automatically scans it then DDO-Wrapper tries to move it while it is in use and that causes a crash.
  2. When downloading from Google Drive, it is recommended to disable your real-time anti-virus scanner. The files are pretty big and having the anti-virus scan them prior to download can cause issues (thanks Mindos).
  3. Also when downloading from Google Drive make sure to download the files one at a time otherwise Google Drive will try to ZIP them all together which can also cause issues (thanks Mindos).
  4. Windows 10 and 11 are very twitchy on having anything modified that is located in the Program Files folders, for this reason I highly recommend that you install the game elsewhere such as "C:\Games\<name of game here>". You may also need to run it as an administrator and to do that right click the shortcut and select Properties, go to the Compatibility tab and tick the box that says "Run as Administrator".
Change Log (dd/mm/yy)

• 30.03.24 - Updated the build for U67, updated the files hashes and the screen shots. All game files defragged where needed. Also removed old DirectX files from the Troubleshooting folder and replaced them with my custom wrapper for installing DirectX.
  • 28.02.24 - Updated the build for U66, updated the files hashes and the screen shots. All game files defragged where needed.
  • 09.12.23 - Updated the build for U65, rebuilt from scratch with a fresh install directly from SSG. Updated the screen shots and defragged all game files where needed.
  • 08.11.23 - Updated the build for U63, updated the file hashes and the screen shots. All game files defragged where needed.
  • 19.08.23 - Updated the build for U61, updated the file hashes and the screen shots. All game files defragged where needed.
  • 07.05.23 - Updated the build for U59, updated the files hashes and the screen shots. Also defragged all game files where needed.
  • 17.11.22 - Updated the build for U57, updated the file hashes and the screen shots. Changed some text during the install process.
  • 04.09.22 - Updated the build for U56 Patch 1, updated the file hashes and the first screen shot. All game files defragged where needed.
  • 01.07.22 - Updated the build for U55 Patch 1, updated the file hashes and the first screen shot. All game files defragged where needed.
  • 30.04.22 - Updated the build for U54, updated the file hashes and the first screen shot. All game files defragged where needed.
  • 25.02.22 - Updated the build for U53 Patch 1, updated the file hashes and the first screen shot. Also defragged all the game files.
  • 03.12.21 - Updated the build for U52 Patch 2, updated the file hashes and the first screen shot. Also defragged all the game files before creating this build (will be doing this on each release going forward).
  • 09.11.21 - Updated the build for U51 Patch 1, updated the file hashes and the first screen shot. The installer has also had an overhaul to remove all the old Turbine files.
  • 07.08.21 - Updated the build for U50 Patch 1, updated the file hashes and the first screen shot. Also added a shortcut for the DAT file defragger to the Start Menu during the install process.
  • 22.04.21 - Updated the build for U49, updated the file hashes and the first screen shot.
  • 30.12.20 - Build unchanged however, added my own custom installer (DirectX Wrapper) for the legacy files for DirectX and updated the folder structure in Google Drive.
  • 06.11.20 - Updated the build for U48, updated the file hashes and the first screen shot.
  • 14.10.20 - Updated the build for U47, updated the file hashes and the first screen shot. Also added a shortcut to the desktop.
  • 07.06.20 - Updated the build due to some game files not being included.
  • 03.05.20 - Updated the build for U46, updated the file hashes and the first screen shot.
  • 14.11.19 - Updated the build for U44, updated the file hashes and the first screen shot.
  • 21.07.19 - Updated the build for U42, updated the file hashes and the first screen shot.
  • 22.12.18 - Updated the build for U41, updated the file hashes and the first screen shot.
  • 07.10.18 - Updated the build for U40, updated the file hashes and the first screen shot.
  • 18.07.18 - Updated the build for U39 and updated the first screen shot.
  • 25.12.17 - Updated the build for U37 patch 2 and updated the first screen shot.
  • 14.07.17 - Updated the build for U36 Hotfix 1 and updated the first screen shot.
  • 26.03.17 - Added a Youtube video explaining what DDO Wrapper is and does along with showing it actually installing (rather boring I know :p).
  • 18.03.17 - Updated the build for U35 Hotfix 1, also removed DirectX from the installation folder since it was rather pointless.
  • 05.02.17 - Updated the build for U34.1, also included DirectX in the installation folder and updated the screen shots above.
  • 14.09.16 - Updated the screen shots for U32 and added the new MD5 file hashes plus new download links.
  • 13.05.16 - Updated the screen shots for U31 and removed the original set up files since nobody wants them.
  • 02.03.16 - Updated for U30.1! Changed a lot of screen names etc in the installer so it should make a bit more sense. I have changed the name of the shortcut it creates to something far more user friendly and also moved to Google Drive for the hosting of the files.
  • 17.12.15 - Added new file hashes and screen shot/s while the files upload.
  • 26.10.15 - Updated the files to include U28 Patch 1, also changed some text in the installer.
  • 28.09.15 - Updated the files to include U28, also removed the uninstaller and fixed various text inconsistencies.
I hope you enjoy using DDO-Wrapper, see you in game!

Stoner81.

Last edited:

Stoner81

Frequently Asked Question

1. When I first try to run the launcher I get an error stating "MSVCR100.dll is missing".

You need to install the Microsoft C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable which can be gotten from here. Even if you use a x64 (64bit) operating system you will still need the x86 (32bit) version since that is what the game requires.

2. I can't run the game in DirectX 11 even though my video card supports it!

This usually happens after upgrading to Windows 10. Windows 10 only has the files required for DirectX 12 so you need to download and install the legacy files for DirectX 9c which are available in the download link in the first post. My custom wrapper is now included in the download, simply navigate to the install directory for DDO and look in the Troubleshooting folder.

3. The game/launcher just closes automatically when I try to run it.

Generally this is only an issue with Windows 10/11 and DirectX, follow the instructions in answer #2 and this should fix it.

4. Do I have to use this in order to install the game?

Short answer is no you don't, this is simply an option for people who are having issues getting the installers from Standing Stone Games (SSG) to work. If you do not wish to use this for whatever reason you do not have to, the choice is yours.

5. There is a new shortcut in my Start Menu called "Dungeons & Dragons Online" do I use this to run the game?

Yes you do, you can re-name the shortcut to "DDO" or anything else if you like, note that on W10 you may have to run the shortcut in Admin mode in order to get the game to launch properly.

6. Will this work on any operating system?

This should work fine on any operating system from WindowsXP to Windows 10 and 11, though I have not been able to test them all. It has been tested on Windows 7, 10 and 11 so far.

7. Does this work for Lammania?

No it does not, Lammania is a totally different client which needs to be installed separately. This installer is just for the main client for the live servers only.

8. How do I uninstall DDO?

Simply delete the installation directory and the shortcut that was created when you installed the game.

9. Does this work with DDO-ML?

Yes it should! This is just a custom wrapper for the game files and nothing more so all 3rd party tools etc should work perfectly fine.

10. I get a message saying that Windows needs to download files the application needs, is this normal?

Yes it is perfectly fine! This only happens on Windows 10 and 11 because DDO uses .NET 2.0 which is not included in Windows 10 or 11 by default so it has to download it, simply let Windows download it and then restart the game client and you should be perfectly fine.

Stoner81.

Last edited:

Stoner81

New build is currently being made for U59 folks! Will edit back once it is all done and uploaded.

EDIT - Upload finished folks!

Stoner81.

Last edited:

Stoner81

New build is uploading now folks!

EDIT - Upload is now finished folks so enjoy!

Stoner81.

Last edited:

Stoner81

New build for U65 is compiling folks!

EDIT - Files all uploaded now folks, enjoy!

Stoner81.

Last edited:

Stoner81

New build for U66 is made and uploading folks!

EDIT - Files uploaded now folks, enjoy!

Stoner81.

Last edited: