Death by falling damage. At level 23. Underwater.

Ying

5000+ hours played
Into the Deep: After the quest is complete, we started dropping down to the Hezrou when the game lagged out. When the game unlagged, we were dead with -25 HP in the Land of Lost Souls.

I don't mind dying to mistakes I make. I've lost several characters this season to my mistakes. But I get salty when the game kills me due to faulty physics calculations. Feels bad man.

Liy

Just wow - My first character was lost for dumb crap like this. Zoned into a room and immediately lagged out. I couldn't move but was just continuously taking damage.

Guntango

Yeah, I’m going to take a break. This was an unnecessary death. It was like standing in the market and just dying. No mobs, no traps, no circles, just slowly floating down underwater and then dead.

I dropped $500 on hardcore, too. I don’t mind dropping some cash to support the game, but this was garbage.

Dom

Patiently waiting to see the pathetic excuse the devs come up with for this one. Funny thing is, not only did I do the same thing in heroics and had no issue… I did the same thing at the same time as Ying, and I didn’t die. This game’s only consistency is their inconsistency.

seph1roth5

Their excuse is basically death is death. Ever since season 1 they've said their official stance is no matter how, you're on your own lol. Even if someone trips over a bunch of cords at the office and the server's kerplode and EVERYone dies, oh well.

The Narc

Been there, in season two lost 4 members in a 6 man group running reaper 4, one second the mobs were across the room, the next they were all over the party and 4 of us had taken over 750 points of damage on our level 11’s, only a pure paladin and a pure barbarian survived.

Guntango

Been there, in season two lost 4 members in a 6 man group running reaper 4, one second the mobs were across the room, the next they were all over the party and 4 of us had taken over 750 points of damage on our level 11’s, only a pure paladin and a pure barbarian survived.
Nah, you haven’t been there. Imagine your same scenario except with no mobs and no traps, dying from nothing. At level 23.

Alternative

Did anyone who died had FF on? Because if lag bypassed FF item and applied fall damage anyway, then that's even worse than it sounds.

Zarkarion

I was doing Cannith Crystal at level 2, and was wearing a Feather Fall item. I tried to jump on to the crates as an overwatch position, but the jump got stuck. Then I was dead, having suffered 83 falling damage. (From one crate up)

DilemmaEnder

Thelanis Player
Wow! Feels bad... I've seen that drop do some crazy stuff so I'm always keen to get through it as quick as possible. Try to minimize the opportunity for something untoward to happen during that crazy long fall time.

One thing I learned was that you can fast fall through that area without taking damage on the landing so long as it doesn't lag. So cutting down on the time your slow falling can help.

What I mean is - if you push into the wall of the tunnel as you fall after you cross the mouth at the top, eventually you will get to the part where the tunnel widens (maybe 15' down, 8-10 seconds into the drop). Push into the wall in that widened area and you will get a fast fall similar to hitting steep terrain during a feather fall. It will jettison you down to the bottom but you won't take falling damage in that next chamber.

Getting down there faster will minimize the amount of time you are in that precarious position. It won't save you from immediate lag/choppiness, but every little bit makes a difference.

Good luck!

Kschau

Yeah, I’m going to take a break. This was an unnecessary death. It was like standing in the market and just dying. No mobs, no traps, no circles, just slowly floating down underwater and then dead.

I dropped $500 on hardcore, too. I don’t mind dropping some cash to support the game, but this was garbage.
What on earth did you spend $500 on? Genuinely curious

eshadowbringer

This is my fear... I have invested only time and patience but if this kind of thing happens to me I will take another extended break! It takes 100% of the fun out of the game....

And lag falling damage does not care what difficulty you run! This is 100% a mistake to put the hoard piece in there and should be moved!

Really sorry this happened you you guys! I can certainly empathize!

The Narc

Nah, you haven’t been there. Imagine your same scenario except with no mobs and no traps, dying from nothing. At level 23.
Tomato Tomatto Potato Potatto

Our group shouldnt have died and your group shouldnt have died, it sucks but life goes on. The devs make no exceptions and give no explanations. I dont spend a single penny on hardcore but i appreciate your spending and it is still early in hardcore so there is still time to do it all again.

Last edited:

Dom

Did anyone who died had FF on? Because if lag bypassed FF item and applied fall damage anyway, then that's even worse than it sounds.
I’m 99% sure at least one of them did, and I had it on but didn’t die. However, we were in Into the Deep and falling down to the hezrou. Even if lag bypassed our FF items, we were underwater and slowly falling (even holding shift doesn’t let you fall faster cause FF isn’t a factor). So that should not have any impact

Guntango

I had FF and was in GMOF mantle, too.

You gain a +15% Action Boost bonus to movement speed, and no longer take damage from falling.

The Narc

I’m 99% sure at least one of them did, and I had it on but didn’t die. However, we were in Into the Deep and falling down to the hezrou. Even if lag bypassed our FF items, we were underwater and slowly falling (even holding shift doesn’t let you fall faster cause FF isn’t a factor). So that should not have any impact
How much damage did you take versus those that didnt have feather fall on. I have heard that on the streamer videos where the commentator Rimstrom the useless says dont wear feather fall because it is unneeded has been promoted(Which is absolute bullicks advice). Those that group with me in hardcore have always been advised it is mandatory to wear feather fall in hardcore, as well as underwater when in water of any sort and a deathblock item from level 5 quests and on.

Dom you have been recognized as one of the greatest if not the greatest player in hardcore, i am not shocked that whatever you were doing different then the others resulted in your survival.

The Narc

I had FF and was in GMOF mantle, too.

You gain a +15% Action Boost bonus to movement speed, and no longer take damage from falling.
Was it feather fall from an item or from a class feat or enhancement, the no longer take damage from falling is from the mantle which is similar to an enhancement and gets calculated in the code different than a permanently worn item. So do i think it is cool, no, but the code is spaghetti.

Last edited:

Guntango

Was it feather fall from an item or from a class feat or enhancement, the no longer take damage from falling is from the mantle which is similar to an enhancement and gets calculated in the code different than a permanently worn item. So do i think it is cool, no, but the code is spaghetti.
I’m not sure what you just said, but thank you.

Ying

5000+ hours played
Whether or not Feather Fall was equipped doesn't seem to be relevant. Two toons died:

Bard 20 / Epic 3 with approx 780 HP. Did not have Feather Fall.
Barbarian 20 / Epic 3 with approx 1500 HP. Had both Epic Cape of the Roc and the GMOF mantle active.

There was a third character who decended at the same time but did not die, a Druid 20 / Epic 3.

From what we can tell, it's just bad physics engine logic.