Downtime Notice: Thursday, May 25th 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT)

Cordovan

Community Manager
UPDTE: The game worlds have reopened.

The DDO game worlds will be unavailable on Thursday, May 25th from 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT) to release Update 59.2. Read the release notes on DDO.com. Thank you for your patience and we'll see you back in the game soon!

Last edited:

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Known issue: Some forms of crashes from sound that had been fixed in a previous update may re-appear as a result of this library rollback.
Does this mean Dread is going start crashing on people again?

Dragnilar

Dragonborn of Bahamut
Bummer you guys had to roll back the Open AI update; I was liking the way some of the sound worked after the change. I didn't have any sound crashes prior to the update, so here's hoping that I don't experience any after 59.2 goes live tomorrow.

Baahb3

So no toggle to turn off the ?/!... Or a toggle to turn off the sound indicator for this. Instead of addressing this annoying 'feature' you just tone it down a bit in hopes that people can live with it.

I don't want to see the icon over my head at all. It is just dumb looking no matter how large the icon is. The dancing of it is sprinkles on top of the dish of what were you thinking.

Once again, half measure to correct a bad decision.

There needs to be an option to turn off the sound indicator, at the very least. For trap heavy quests, or for quests where you 'find' each individual blade/spike of a trap, the ding, no matter how loud is teeth gratingly bad. I should not have to turn my sound off completely to get rid of this.

FapGPT

I hope The OpenAI (sound) roll back hopefully fixes this weird hitching sound i noticed last few days when the game starts , has happened a few times and is kinda loud idk tho could I be trippen ? ?

"The boss fight in the quest "Friends in Low Places" has been rebuilt."

What does this even mean?
This fight is notorious for generating red alert and since DA has changed so drastically, hopefully so has this end fight. They need to change Thrill of the Hunt and Lesson too. These end fights go red a lot as well. They even supposedly changed Thrill, but it still went red after this change in my experiences. Frankly the anti-zerg design of this game is bad. Players will always head for the most efficient route. It's up to design to make that route as fun as possible. That's just how it is.

Chacka

"The boss fight in the quest "Friends in Low Places" has been rebuilt."

What does this even mean?
The statement from the release note is indeed vague, but I can imagine that the developers attempted to make changes in order to reduce the number of monsters spawning simultaneously in that "boss fight." This was likely done to alleviate server load, which can result in lag and decreased overall performance.

I understand that it's easier for me to criticize than to actually fix the problem as a developer. However, this situation highlights the technical limitations faced by both quest/content designers and the game servers. It would be highly beneficial if the AI code could be optimized in a way that allows players to engage with a larger number of monsters without causing server load issues.

Based on my understanding of the developer's comments on the feat management optimization in Update 59, it seems that one of the addressed issues was DDO's improved utilization of multi-threading. It's possible that similar issues exist within the code for the monster AI and other aspects of DDO, leading to bottlenecks. If DDO primarily utilizes only one core of a server CPU, it can severely impact server performance, especially considering that modern servers typically provide between 8 and 64 cores on average.

The Narc

The statement from the release note is indeed vague, but I can imagine that the developers attempted to make changes in order to reduce the number of monsters spawning simultaneously in that "boss fight." This was likely done to alleviate server load, which can result in lag and decreased overall performance.

I understand that it's easier for me to criticize than to actually fix the problem as a developer. However, this situation highlights the technical limitations faced by both quest/content designers and the game servers. It would be highly beneficial if the AI code could be optimized in a way that allows players to engage with a larger number of monsters without causing server load issues.

Based on my understanding of the developer's comments on the feat management optimization in Update 59, it seems that one of the addressed issues was DDO's improved utilization of multi-threading. It's possible that similar issues exist within the code for the monster AI and other aspects of DDO, leading to bottlenecks. If DDO primarily utilizes only one core of a server CPU, it can severely impact server performance, especially considering that modern servers typically provide between 8 and 64 cores on average.
You are bang on here!!

I have said from day 1 of the improvements that were suppose to make the monster AI smarter, that this would be a cause for future lag, and each such improvement to monster AI would make the lag spikes for mob calculation even worse. Worst part of this is that all that work is redundant as the AI is eventually analyzed and adjusted to by players, so there is actually no benefit to it.

It is possible to create lag spikes/freezes with groups of mobs by simply moving your toon into certain locations that cause such a mass calculation by mobs to figure out what to do next in their AI. Around hrdcore 2 these freezes affected both sides and could cause the freeze to happen and end with the player dead. Not true for today the freeze happens on the server side so you as a player can do more actions during the freeze to kill many more mobs that are immobile due to their smarter AI, roflmao.

LuxProcedens

So I'm back to crashing on 64-bit client? Absolute garbage, just unacceptable. Is there a new fix on the horizon or just *shrug, we tried our best, whatever*?
Classic SSG!
So no toggle to turn off the ?/!... Or a toggle to turn off the sound indicator for this. Instead of addressing this annoying 'feature' you just tone it down a bit in hopes that people can live with it.

I don't want to see the icon over my head at all. It is just dumb looking no matter how large the icon is. The dancing of it is sprinkles on top of the dish of what were you thinking.

Once again, half measure to correct a bad decision.

There needs to be an option to turn off the sound indicator, at the very least. For trap heavy quests, or for quests where you 'find' each individual blade/spike of a trap, the ding, no matter how loud is teeth gratingly bad. I should not have to turn my sound off completely to get rid of this.
I'm surprised we dont have to pay to remove the indicators :ROFLMAO:

HoopleHead

Anyone whos ever watched a mob-critter change direction 6 times as you try to cast @ it WITH Quicken knows where the lag went....

Volarr

This update does nothing to improve the game for me since I usually don't play with any sound on anymore and i don't care about the icons sadly all it does is kill more playing time.

T.O.

I have been a critic of the new identification system. I am curious to see the new and improved version. Small icons and less sound. I just might be on board with this. I might even hold my breath till the servers restart. o_O

Last edited:

LuxProcedens

I have been a critic of the new identification system. I am curious to see the new and improved version. Small icons and less sound. I just might be on board with this. I might even hold my breath for till the servers restart. o_O
I'd prefer a enable/disable setting. I understand the point of it, but i mean to be fair, you are introduced to trap/hidden door senses in the korthos tutorial which is mandatory for new accounts, so at the same time I dont understand it.

T.O.

I'd prefer a enable/disable setting. I understand the point of it, but i mean to be fair, you are introduced to trap/hidden door senses in the korthos tutorial which is mandatory for new accounts, so at the same time I dont understand it.
I agree with the disable. That would be on the sound only. If this is the new identification system. I am fine with it. After reading the release notes. It seems that the dev's were actually listening to the players. On what they liked and what they didn't like on the new system. Overwhelmingly it seemed to be the sound and next the cartoony oversized look of the icons. Now if the icons are smaller and look like the original. I can be down with that. The lock icon on the chest's though. Still a no go. Nothing thematic about seeing a chest and knowing it's locked or not. This game is some what based on D&D.

Sympl

Not weighing in on any side here. Just commenting as if I were an impartial third-party observer:

Consider this.

1. Multiple languages spoken by players.
2. Not everyone uses in game (or identical) voice services - if they use voice services at all.
3. In prior versions of trap/hidden door senses, only you got the alert.

I can see the value in NOT being able to optionally turn off the alerts just as much as I can see the usefulness in providing them in this new fashion.

1. Everyone in your party can see when your character spots something - no verbal/chat cues required. Someone spots a trap, BOOM, less skilled character stops moving immediately.
2. If someone can toggle it off, then non-skilled characters can't rely on it.

Caveat: IF it can be toggled off as a personal choice, it needs to be just for how that character sees things. It still needs to proc for EVERYONE else unless they also have it toggled off.

It would be nice to be smaller - it just needs to be noticeable and identifiable, not HUGE, but I guess I haven't noticed whether or not it's loud based on the way I have my audio settings balanced. Which kind of makes how loud it is a moot point, yeah? I mean....make it quieter, you as a player totally can......:🤷:

Volarr

I have never had any problems finding traps (they go off) most I survive, sometimes the floor fall out under me never needed an icon for any of that. Hidden doors usually have a chest that needs a bell to open and the loot in them is not worth the bell. better to stay hidden. If they are going to keep the insisting on using these icons. We players should be able to turn them on/off.