Downtime Notice: Thursday, May 25th 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT)

Frantik

When in a quest and I find a door no one else can I'll open it for others and they freely benefit from the skills I earned. your stating you want to train nothing and gain everthing others worked for that is selfish
I believe that you are missing the point, and that your reply isn't a true reflection on your inability to recognise when you are wrong. As I previously wrote, when you are in a group, there is an underlying notion of cooperation [it doesn't always happen]. Imagine you are in a group playing a trapper, and you detect a danger; what are the possible outcomes? You have the time to write in chat "t" or something more detailed, everyone in the group sees the chat, and reacts accordingly. Or you do warn the others in chat but somebody misses your warning and runs into a nasty trap. Or maybe you don't have enough time to warn the other players. Whether it be in RP situations or even RL scenarios, if you were to detect a danger then it would be rational to warn the other people in your group; the new icons/sounds do exactly this.

TedSandyman

When in a quest and I find a door no one else can I'll open it for others and they freely benefit from the skills I earned. your stating you want to train nothing and gain everthing others worked for that is selfish
You still have to open the lock or disable the trap. If you build yourself up so that you can open the doors and disable the traps, seeing those things doesn't make you any less important.

And I believe the new icons still only happen if the person can spot the item anyway. It isn't giving anyone in your party anything that they didn't already have or take anything away from anyone.

If those other people get a ? or ! it means they CAN spot the item anyway. You didn't give them anything. Your ability wasn't somehow unfairly transferred to them. They could spot it all along. They really didn't need you.

The only difference with this new system is that if someone spots something, the whole party knows immediately, which is good for everyone. Bad for no one.

The only issue that has any merit is that it is annoying.

TedSandyman

Also, I like the idea that they don't let you turn off the notifications. Because, in my opinion, only really selfish people who want to let noobs run into traps would be against sharing that information.

It is annoying, but I am use to it now. Not letting it be turned off makes everyone give it a try instead of just turning it off immediately because they don't like new things.

The knee jerk reaction is to not like new things, especially loud, visible and audible things, even if it is VERY helpful. This gives people time to get used to it and, hopefully, realize it isn't that bad if you give it time. The benefits WAY outweigh the down side.

I think they were right in not allowing it to be turned off. But, I hope they do make it an option somewhere down the line.

ALSO, how did this thread degenerate into hating the new icons?

GhostRednek

"The boss fight in the quest "Friends in Low Places" has been rebuilt."

Might i suggest instead of redoing or replacing old assets, how about fixing the ones already in.... Like Lag, Hireling AI, and Overall quality of life fixes. Just a suggestion..... Take this from a paying customer. (VIP)

T.O.

the previous ones worked fine
tutorial shows them to new accounts
i know where the boxes and doors are anyway
skills and saves are a thing
I am not saying it didn't. However SSG seems committed to change. I also know where everything is. Yes skills and save are a thing. Outside of heroics like early heroics. A toon will not spot any of those things if they don't have the skills. Nor search for traps or doors. At least be able to find them. If one party member spots them good. It should be for the good of the party. Unless that party member is a toxic member of society and likes to be a jerk to his party members. If that is the case I don't have to ever party with that person and get to warn my friends of what complete tool bag that cat is. Which is more fun getting revenge. I really like revenge. I can plan and execute a revenge years later. It's part of my rogueish subterfuge skills. It's kind of a role playing game isnt' it. lol loll LOL LOL

Yamani

Tyrannical Overlord
I have to agree with the other guy on this one.

Unless a player is a complete jerk who is trying to get people killed, it makes complete sense.

ANY thief who is working for the good of the party would immediately tell all of the group of a trap. This just keeps you from having to physically type or say something.

The icon makes MORE sense than an area trap being set off because I type slowly. How does my slow typing play into the idea of immersion. "DM: You run into the trap and set it off killing everyone in your party. If only the thief had taken a typing class."
Just from a role play perspective:

Icon always on:
DM: You enter a new room.
Rogue: I look around what do I see.
DM: You see a crumbling floor/pit fall trap.
Party: DM told us there is a trap so lets wait. (This completely removes the action of what the rogue should do)

Icon not existing: (How it should be)
Rogue: I take action to warn the party of trap and look for ways to disable.

The rogue/trapper should have to take/use that action just like a healer has to actually use his ability to heal. Passive nonsense hurts the real role play aspect.
Not to mention for a dev team that constantly says they are a small team and can only do so much. This was just such a waste of time for a 17 year old game that already had an effective way to quick type out trap/secret doors. (alias's)

wreck

I am not saying it didn't. However SSG seems committed to change. I also know where everything is. Yes skills and save are a thing. Outside of heroics like early heroics. A toon will not spot any of those things if they don't have the skills. Nor search for traps or doors. At least be able to find them. If one party member spots them good. It should be for the good of the party. Unless that party member is a toxic member of society and likes to be a jerk to his party members. If that is the case I don't have to ever party with that person and get to warn my friends of what complete tool bag that cat is. Which is more fun getting revenge. I really like revenge. I can plan and execute a revenge years later. It's part of my rogueish subterfuge skills. It's kind of a role playing game isnt' it. lol loll LOL LOL
rogueish subterfuge skills - dont need those

im sure youl have a massive loud annoying capcom style icon over your head on approach

LuxProcedens

Just from a role play perspective:

Icon always on:
Party: DM told us there is a trap so lets wait. (This completely removes the action of what the rogue should do)

Icon not existing: (How it should be)
Rogue: I take action to warn the party of trap and look for ways to disable.

The rogue/trapper should have to take/use that action just like a healer has to actually use his ability to heal. Passive nonsense hurts the real role play aspect.
Not to mention for a dev team that constantly says they are a small team and can only do so much. This was just such a waste of time for a 17 year old game that already had an effective way to quick type out trap/secret doors. (alias's)
AMEN

Buddha5440

This fight is notorious for generating red alert and since DA has changed so drastically, hopefully so has this end fight. They need to change Thrill of the Hunt and Lesson too. These end fights go red a lot as well. They even supposedly changed Thrill, but it still went red after this change in my experiences. Frankly the anti-zerg design of this game is bad. Players will always head for the most efficient route. It's up to design to make that route as fun as possible. That's just how it is.
DA did not change "drastically", it simply buffed the "Red Named Bosses" when DA was still active. It did nothing to buff the random/trash mobs. If you kill the mobs before the Boss, rather than Zerging to the end, it had NO effect on you; with the exception of a few quests that would cause Red DA during the boss fight (Friends in Low Places (I'm guessing that's what they are changing), Thrill of the Hunt (which can be avoided by killing the Howlers before the fight, Lesson can be easily managed by having people whose job it is to get rid of the ladders (Hiding/Invis works), and Subversion (which can be avoided by killing the trash that spawns at various Boss HP lvs), but that requires players to plan which is apparently contrary to a lot of people in this game.

Bottom line...ZERGING is not the way most people (just the loudest people) play this game.

Last edited: