Dying to Lag, after so much care and caution... does feel bad

Drachmor

Posting this here rather than the Hardcore forums, as it is a problem for regular servers, too. I know this isn't a revolutionary post or anything, but I just felt the need to share / maybe vent. I don't know if I have another die-just-before-the-finish-line in me, but. It was a fun Hardcore server until that.

Thanks

TedSandyman

One day there was a complete lockup. Luckily I wasn't being attacked but another party member was. I think he DCed it time.

Another day, not a complete lock up but a lot of rubber banding. Things attacking. I just pressed the attack button and hoped. It worked.

It is depressing to die on hardcore, especially from lag, but that is one of the hazards of playing an online game and especially this online game. But that fear of dying is what makes it a better game in my opinion.

I think of it like the real world. You can die from a lot of things that are simply not your fault and you have absolutely no control over some of those things. Not lag of course but other things. It isn't fair. It isn't fun. It is just the pits.

You can rage against the senselessness of it. Or you can quit playing. It sounds like you are just raging and venting.

mbartol

Murder Hobo
I was running some Feywild quests on Friday, and none of the mobs or summons were moving. The casters were still casting spells, but everything was just anchored in place—except Froggo, but he was in his daydreaming mode anyway.

Dragnilar

Dragonborn of Bahamut
I haven't had a lag death in a while myself, but funnily enough, I had one happen a couple of days ago in "Witch Hunt".... basically, was the same thing that @mbartol witnessed. My character was stuck in place while the latency indicator on the game was stuck on red. As soon is it went back to green - poof, I was dead.

And yes, Frogo was similarly too preoccupied with his imagination.

Pfill

I used a greater exp tome and then loaded into the first mission in the game on normal so that I could afford to buy a hireling. I got a UI bug the second I pulled monsters and couldnt attack, leave, escape, anything.

I alt f4, relaunched the game and barely survived.

Last edited:

Drachmor

One day there was a complete lockup. Luckily I wasn't being attacked but another party member was. I think he DCed it time.

Another day, not a complete lock up but a lot of rubber banding. Things attacking. I just pressed the attack button and hoped. It worked.

It is depressing to die on hardcore, especially from lag, but that is one of the hazards of playing an online game and especially this online game. But that fear of dying is what makes it a better game in my opinion.

I think of it like the real world. You can die from a lot of things that are simply not your fault and you have absolutely no control over some of those things. Not lag of course but other things. It isn't fair. It isn't fun. It is just the pits.

You can rage against the senselessness of it. Or you can quit playing. It sounds like you are just raging and venting.
Haha well some notes of this are a little dramatic, but you're pretty much spot-on. It sucks, but. You really do get over it.

Definitely just venting - although not raging, no. It was definitely more on the misery side of things that night, lol.

axel15810

Sorry 😟

I know I would have been really upset if I died close to my goals this season.

Probably best to take several days off Hardcore to cool off, then try again if you're willing.

Drachmor

Sorry 😟

I know I would have been really upset if I died close to my goals this season.

Probably best to take several days off Hardcore to cool off, then try again if you're willing.
Yeah that's exactly what I did. I kept having dreams last night that I was like, level 16 but I had forgotten the Pit treasure? It's like being a kid all over again, thinking about a game so much it affects you in your sleep lmao (used to be super mario world music playing in my dreams, of course).

So funny how nerve-wracking the Hardcore server can apparently be lol. I mean I definitely am just an anxious guy, but. I want dat cloak, man! Hopefully I can get it before the end of the season.