Game crashes when changing area. How can I fix?

Wallbob20

So, with any of my characters, when I change areas, such as entering my guild ship, the game shuts off. No error, no nothing. My computer is more than enough to run it. This does not occur on my wifes computer. I am just trying to find some way to make the game playable. Shutting off when you enter a cave in a wilderness is getting annoying. Any help would be awesome.

Phoenicis

Savage's Husband
The reason I asked is the load times for a HDD got long enough that the game timed out before the areas got loaded.

Make sure you are a local disk, not on a cloud service. Win 11 is sneaky about putting stuff on the cloud.

Wallbob20

The reason I asked is the load times for a HDD got long enough that the game timed out before the areas got loaded.

Make sure you are a local disk, not on a cloud service. Win 11 is sneaky about putting stuff on the cloud.
I currently have win10. I have reinstalled the game, wiped my computer, tried all the things people talk about in the forums, still crashes on me.

Phoenicis

Savage's Husband
Set the game to run windowed mode, start task manager and see what maxes out when you change areas. That's the only thing I can think of that might give you a better idea of where the bottleneck is.

Ancillary question, do you have both on board and add on graphics cards? if so make sure DDO is set to use only the add on.

Dapoli

I have had the same problem since update 59.4. I submitted a ticket two weeks ago but the Customer Support Team just kept on sending standard replies saying the issue had been sent to the Quality Assurance Team for review and they could not provide any update or progress to me. So far there has been no response from the Quality Assurance Team. The game is now unplayable and I feel very frustrated and disappointed by the DDO's customer service.

Zaszgul

Under Options -> Advanced Graphics, scroll to the bottom and see what Texture Cache Size is set to.

If it's too high, your PC may be running out of free, addressable memory when the game tries to load more areas, resulting in a crash.

If it's too low, the game may not be able to hold both your current and new areas worth of textures simultaneously without crashing.

There could be other causes too, this game is increasingly unstable. But this is something easy to play around with and see if it fixes the issue.

Dapoli

Under Options -> Advanced Graphics, scroll to the bottom and see what Texture Cache Size is set to.

If it's too high, your PC may be running out of free, addressable memory when the game tries to load more areas, resulting in a crash.

If it's too low, the game may not be able to hold both your current and new areas worth of textures simultaneously without crashing.

There could be other causes too, this game is increasingly unstable. But this is something easy to play around with and see if it fixes the issue.
Previously the faulting message was:
Faulting application name: dndclient64.exe, version: 6000.51.7558.4002, time stamp: 0x64bddb70
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.22621.1928, time stamp: 0x7dd9e350

After I increased the Texture Cache Size, the faulting message becomes:
Faulting application name: dndclient.exe, version: 6000.51.7558.4002, time stamp: 0x64bdd537
Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.22621.608, time stamp: 0xbbf7fb0e

The faulting module changed from ntdll.dll to ucrtbase.dll.

Zaszgul

Possible workaround from google, from someone assuming sound drivers are at issue:

"By the way, the workaround is to:
1. Open Services app
2. Stop Windows Audio service
3. Launch game. When booted fully, alt-tab out to Services app
4. Start the service again to regain audio"

I wouldn't want to do that every time I played the game, but if that works then maybe it leads to some better fix (install new drivers?) or helps the devs fix it on their end.

Dapoli

Possible workaround from google, from someone assuming sound drivers are at issue:

"By the way, the workaround is to:
1. Open Services app
2. Stop Windows Audio service
3. Launch game. When booted fully, alt-tab out to Services app
4. Start the service again to regain audio"

I wouldn't want to do that every time I played the game, but if that works then maybe it leads to some better fix (install new drivers?) or helps the devs fix it on their end.
Thanks but that doesn't work for me. Hope the Devs can fix the bug asap. :(

RangerOne

This or something similar happened to me a few years back. Try checking this.

Go into your DDO folder. In one of the sub folders you should find the loading screen jpegs that appear during changes and teleports. Some of mine had changed to html. Change the extension back and the crashes during load screens went away. Not sure of the exact path for the folders but they may be nested a couple down.

Dapoli

This or something similar happened to me a few years back. Try checking this.

Go into your DDO folder. In one of the sub folders you should find the loading screen jpegs that appear during changes and teleports. Some of mine had changed to html. Change the extension back and the crashes during load screens went away. Not sure of the exact path for the folders but they may be nested a couple down.
Thanks but i didn't find any html files which are of loading screen nature. :(

Lithol

So, with any of my characters, when I change areas, such as entering my guild ship, the game shuts off. No error, no nothing. My computer is more than enough to run it. This does not occur on my wifes computer. I am just trying to find some way to make the game playable. Shutting off when you enter a cave in a wilderness is getting annoying. Any help would be awesome.
I had the same issue. What seems to have fixed it for me was launching the game and going into options->graphics and setting DirectX version to DirectX9. It then required me to restart client, after which I could log in and play without crashing on area transitions. I could even swap back to DirectX11 after that and still play without crashing. Hope that helps someone.

Altra

I had the same issue. What seems to have fixed it for me was launching the game and going into options->graphics and setting DirectX version to DirectX9. It then required me to restart client, after which I could log in and play without crashing on area transitions. I could even swap back to DirectX11 after that and still play without crashing. Hope that helps someone.
That's the exact thing my husband tried and it worked for him, too.

Haphazard

IS there a way to force the game to load in DirectX9? I can't get into the game to change the settings. It crashes after loading screen before character screen and gives a Direct3D initialisation fail error.

Last edited:

Lithol

IS there a way to force the game to load in DirectX9? I can't get into the game to change the settings. It crashes after loading screen before character screen and gives a Direct3D initialisation fail error.
There's a textfile you can edit: {username}\Documents\Dungeons and Dragons Online\UserPreferences.ini
under [Render] there should be a line that reads:
GraphicsCore=D3D11
you can change that to
GraphicsCore=D3D9
if you want to force the game to start with DirectX9

Haphazard

Thank you. Actually I resolved the problem. DX12 has some weird issues with playing full screen so changing to windowed resolved the issue (and forcing to dx9 although I'm not sure that's necessary). I changed the user preferences file to load in windowed mode. This thread is quite handy for anyone else having the same issue;

https://www.reddit.com/r/ddo/comments/y5igcb
Cheers

Hap