Handwraps Monk Build

Sheikra

Sure! Wraps are considered full hand items so they receive full off hand effects as well. So offhand doublestrike does nothing because it's not an off hand item.
Ohhh wow that makes sense -- why did OP say that perfect TWF was a respectible feat choice then? It seems like it gives you nothing then haha

Kyrr

Ohhh wow that makes sense -- why did OP say that perfect TWF was a respectible feat choice then? It seems like it gives you nothing then haha
Hit points pretty much, also because it's weird how it functions and the developers haven't made it clear if it's intentional or not.

Lacci

Cool, I always wanted to do a handwraps monk build, never played monk before, so I think I´ll give this one a try.
Though I´ll have to do a "light version" as I´m missing any racial APs and have 11 fewer destiny points to spend ... so not sure if it will work out :D

Kyrr

Cool, I always wanted to do a handwraps monk build, never played monk before, so I think I´ll give this one a try.
Though I´ll have to do a "light version" as I´m missing any racial APs and have 11 fewer destiny points to spend ... so not sure if it will work out :D
I recommend finding a fellow on Thelanis called Xeang of the White Lotus. He is an amazing monk player, probably the best to walk this earth because he makes a first life hardcore monk look like it's an R10 max past life monk.

Sheikra

I recommend finding a fellow on Thelanis called Xeang of the White Lotus. He is an amazing monk player, probably the best to walk this earth because he makes a first life hardcore monk look like it's an R10 max past life monk.
In order to find him, you must walk the path of enlightenment. He's somewhere deep within the mountains of the forgotten realms. If you have what it takes to reach ascension, perhaps he will train you.

Sheikra

OP, I don't know if you still monitor this post at all, but would you change gearing at all with the new Vecna expansion ("new")?

Grimstad

I'm starting my first monk after 10 lives in fighter, barb, paladin, and cleric. May I ask why STR is so low for a melee character? Is there something in the build that uses another stat for damage rolls?

Eme

I'm starting my first monk after 10 lives in fighter, barb, paladin, and cleric. May I ask why STR is so low for a melee character? Is there something in the build that uses another stat for damage rolls?
before falconry early life monk used strength to hit, or dex if going ninja, but since falconry's Killer instincts was introdcued it lets you use wisdom to hit and damage, and most unarmed use that these days as wisdom is all sorts of goodies for unarmed monks. You can get falconry killer instinct after a couple of levels, which won't take long to reach so would rec going wisdom and just waiting a bit.
( Or if you can't wait get some strength or dex+ninja to hit until you can take falconry killer instincts and respect, but that's a heart and ££ so not really worth it.)
but dont forget dex is required for twf (15, then 17 later on), where a tome can help reach values you need for taking feats. ( Also try to get a strength tome, anyway, just to avoid getting overloaded with a full inventory)

Last edited:

Grimstad

before falconry early life monk used strength to hit, or dex if going ninja, but since falconry's Killer instincts was introdcued it lets you use wisdom to hit and damage, and most unarmed use that these days as wisdom is all sorts of goodies for unarmed monks. You can get falconry killer instinct after a couple of levels, which won't take long to reach so would rec going wisdom and just waiting a bit.
( Or if you can't wait get some strength or dex+ninja to hit until you can take falconry killer instincts and respect, but that's a heart and ££ so not really worth it.)
but dont forget dex is required for twf (15, then 17 later on), where a tome can help reach values you need for taking feats
Got it, thanks. I do have the tomes.

Reactions: Eme

Grimstad

Follow-up question: Why so many points in Swim? Couldn't these 23 points be spent in Heal and Jump?

Eme

Follow-up question: Why so many points in Swim? Couldn't these 23 points be spent in Heal and Jump?
personally, I don't even bother with putting a point in swim, I do fine without it.
Concentration first, all the way.
Jump I figure out how much I need to reach soft cap of 40 at end game with full end game gear set.
I make sure to put 1 point in tumble (at least) just to activate it, and often get more later on.
I dont play ninjas , so am never sneaking or hiding.
Balance I put a bunch of points in, even though have anti knockdown ability in epics it seems to help in knockbacks too, and I like to stay in the fight.
I usually try to max out UMD for ressurection scrolls.
Spot and Listen I try to get as most of as possible.
Then I put spare points into Heal & Search ( as I solo a lot)

.. but that's just my preferences for how I like to play

Last edited:
I notice you don't take Killer Instinct I. I presume this is because you don't experience any significant miss chance that you don't need the Wisdom bonus to hit?

Lacci

I notice you don't take Killer Instinct I. I presume this is because you don't experience any significant miss chance that you don't need the Wisdom bonus to hit?
No, at the time of writing it was bugged and Killer Instict II gave both to hit and to damage bonuses.
As far as I can tell, that has been fixed now.