Hardcore 8 Dragon Hoard Super Thread and FAQ

Arcanaverse

Solver of Secrets
Hey all. Those of you that know me know that I love discovering secrets and trying to figure out the puzzles. So of course I'm having a blast with HC 8.

What's Going On?
One of Hardcore 8's twists is a scavanger hunt! Scattered throughout the game are golden chests that contain missing pieces of the hoard for Zazerbaxk, The Not Yet Terrible. A kobold that is looking to become a real dragon! (maybe, cause you know... kobolds). You'll know you found one if the chest is completely gold.

The hardcore vendor was to be giving us hints and what not, but is currently offline until the next update so we're searching blind!

A handy Strimtom video explaining HC 8 mechanics

How Many Have We Found and Where Are They?

PieceQuestLevelQuest Link
w/Max Level
Chest Notes
1Sacrifices13(Optional) Put to rest the skeletal mage
2Immortality Lessons6
8/32(Optional) Look for the Curious Door/(Optional) Speak to Scath the Vorpal
3The Pit79(Optional) Slay Avatar of Juiblex
4Into the Deep9
11/23(Optional) Venture to the pit and destroy the Demon
5Invitation to Dinner10
32*
12/32(Optional) Engage Strahd again (aka, Death Card)
*Legendary Requires confirmation
6The Chamber of Raiyum12
14/24(Optional) Find a way into the treasure chamber
7Mired in Kobolds1315(Optional) Face Sinvala
8Madstone Crater
Return to Madstone Crater
16/26Madstone Enchanter beyond locked door.
9Search and Rescue15
17/32(Optional) Drow Outpost: Slay the High Priestess
10Servants of the Overlord16
18/23(Optional) Disrupt the Drow ritual
11Roll Call16
18/32(Optional) Defeat Soot (Magma Brute)
12A Study in Sable2628(Optional) Save all four of the guests
13Epic Desecrated Temple of Vol2931(Optional) Defeat the Inevitables of Dolurrh
**No chest in heroic

image.png

How Many Do We Need?
7 will get your the Golden Footprints, but finding all 13 will grant you a special cosmetic cloak. Only 13 exist.

Are Any of Them Duplicates?
No, each quest has its own item.

What Difficulty Can These be Found On?
There appears to be a difference between Heroic and Non-Heroic versions of the chests. I've updated the chart to indicate the differences.

Gold chests can be found with a 100% drop rate of a hoard item on Normal or higher. Casual does not have a 100% drop rate, but will have the gold chest.

What If I'm too High Level to Do These Quests?
The hoard items are exclusive, so you'll either need to True Reincarnate or start a new character to collect them. If there is a mechanic to visit quests that you've passed, its currently undiscovered.

Are there any in Wilderness/Adventure Areas or Challenges?
Nope, they're all in the quests indicated above.

Where can I keep up on the latest information?
I'll do my best to update this thread, but here are some other places where the discussion is taking place.
(if you have an additional place that you'd like to be listed here let me know)
Dragon's Hoard Locations thread
Dragon Horde unfound locations thread

DDO Wiki Page for HC Information

DDO Discord
Arcanaverse Discord
Death Smile Discord
Deathy_TV Discord
Open Guild for All Discord
Strimtom Discord

DDO Reddit
A list of all known Hardcore Season 8 Dragon Hoards! Reddit Post
What We Know About HC 8 Reddit Post

Twitch Streamers Currently Live Playing DDO

Where can let everyone know that I didn't find a gold chest in the quest where I did all the optionals?
The above discussion points above are fine, but I've also created a google sheet to attempt to corral this information. Until a rotten apple spoils the bunch anyone can edit it, so please do take care.

Hardcore 8 Checklist

What Are the Rewards for the Treasure Hunt?
Now that the vendor has been re-added to the game officially. The rewards:

DDO Wiki Page for HC Information

1750 FavorGlittery Golden Eyes
image.png
Level 20Death Walker's Sash VIII
197px-Death_Walker27s_Sash_VIII_shown.png
10 Reaper PointsDeath Walker's Cloak VIII
166px-Death_Walker27s_Cloak_VIII_shown.png
20 Reaper PointsGlittering Golden Mimic
Glittering_Golden_Mimic.png
7 TreasuresTreasure Follows You
image.png
13 TreasuresGolden Sash
image.png

Last edited:

NomadDog

DDO Hawaiian Style!
What are your top contenders/best guesses for quests that have a golden optional chest?
Based on the pattern of quests that we've seen (1, 6/7, 12/13, 16), I think the next will be a level 15 or 17. My best guesses would be either Search and Rescue (Drow Outpost) or Prey on the Hunter (Kill Aussircaex and Aussiroth).

Arcanaverse

Solver of Secrets
Reports coming in a 7th has been located in Madstone Crater. The chest beyond the locked door leading to the Madstone Enchanter

Arcanaverse

Solver of Secrets
Surprisingly madstone crater's optional isn't technically an optional, but close enough.

However 8th chest confirmed in Into the Deep Demon optional!

NomadDog

DDO Hawaiian Style!
Has anyone confirmed whether or not each of the chests holds a unique fragment or are some of the other locations duplicates of the first? I'm gonna speculate some. I think there is one fragment for each level of (at least heroic) quests. With that, I now think there are additional rewards that have not yet been disclosed that you can get by turning in additional fragments.

Arcanaverse

Solver of Secrets
Has anyone confirmed whether or not each of the chests holds a unique fragment or are some of the other locations duplicates of the first? I'm gonna speculate some. I think there is one fragment for each level of (at least heroic) quests. With that, I now think there are additional rewards that have not yet been disclosed that you can get by turning in additional fragments.

Good question, I'll add it to main post. To my knowledge no duplicates. Each has had a unique icon.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
I think there is one fragment for each level of (at least heroic) quests.
I didn't see a single chest in the base 2 quests. Almost done with base 3's and haven't seen one. It's possible I missed one, but I was fairly thorough in exploring every nook and cranny of the quests. Side note, some of those saltmarsh quests take forever when you check every corner.

Arcanaverse

Solver of Secrets
I didn't see a single chest in the base 2 quests. Almost done with base 3's and haven't seen one. It's possible I missed one, but I was fairly thorough in exploring every nook and cranny of the quests. Side note, some of those saltmarsh quests take forever when you check every corner.

There aren't too many crazy optionals at base 2. Will go ahead and just mark them as cleared. Thanks for your efforts!

Hardcore 8 Checklist

Of course as folks go through, feel free to check em off. Thanks in advance.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
There aren't too many crazy optionals at base 2. Will go ahead and just mark them as cleared. Thanks for your efforts!

Hardcore 8 Checklist

Of course as folks go through, feel free to check em off. Thanks in advance.
I think it's just housekeeping and the back half of catacombs left for base 3's at this point for me do; I'll probably finish them off after dinner. I see you have shadowcrypt on your check list, was that a full gear run?

Arcanaverse

Solver of Secrets
I think it's just housekeeping and the back half of catacombs left for base 3's at this point for me do; I'll probably finish them off after dinner. I see you have shadowcrypt on your check list, was that a full gear run?

Indeed. No chest in shadowcrypt according to my sources. Including the full gear.

Kairess

Has anyone checked the demon optional for gathering all 3 seals and pulling the rope in Total Chaos?

Edit - Tested it, no joy.

Last edited: