HC8 rewards sneak peak *spoilers inside*

Foaly's_Pub

Rumble Creator and Wiki editor
My Guess is that they target the expansion for around end july, start august. And last time they dropped an expansion mid league a lot of people went crying on the forums. Yeah, some people will use anything as an excuse to complain...
personally I was kind of pissed my self but its like when they did the fvs pass mid season as well. give us time to adjust to the change/added content instead of dropping it in the middle out of the blue and mess up our builds one of my running mates had to scrap that whole toon and we were at 3.8k favor when the pass went through....

Not necessarily the way they want it to work but perhaps the way they expected it to work? Let's not discard the fact this is the ONE and ONLY quest that works this way. Were I a brand new player or one returning after many years unaccustomed to HC I would expect ALL quests to function the same way and this extreme outlier would seem bugged to me too.
challenges are also like that as well... at one point they fixed those BUT it broke again the next season for some reason... but then again most challenges you can run at level or under level no issue (Rushmore and kobold island being the exceptions to under level part) then they fixed it and then it broke again... challenges have been a bane for the devs

Phoenicis

Savage's Husband
Not necessarily the way they want it to work but perhaps the way they expected it to work? Let's not discard the fact this is the ONE and ONLY quest that works this way. Were I a brand new player or one returning after many years unaccustomed to HC I would expect ALL quests to function the same way and this extreme outlier would seem bugged to me too.
HC has always been 'level lockout is 4 levels above base (normal) level of the quest' (barring the hounds & current season apparently, which are 2 above base level).

Not sure what else you would expect. One quest has an unusual normal/hard/elite level progression. Change that one quest for the HC server only? Redo the quest on all the servers for HC?

As someone else mentioned, it has a normal epic progression, grab the favor in Epic. Fifteen favor is not a big deal when there is what, almost 7k in heroics alone now?

Foaly's_Pub

HC has always been 'level lockout is 4 levels above base (normal) level of the quest' (barring the hounds & current season apparently, which are 2 above base level).

Not sure what else you would expect. One quest has an unusual normal/hard/elite level progression. Change that one quest for the HC server only? Redo the quest on all the servers for HC?

As someone else mentioned, it has a normal epic progression, grab the favor in Epic. Fifteen favor is not a big deal when there is what, almost 7k in heroics alone now?
agreed I just skip it and don't even TR on hc cause you really don't need to be a multi life any more.

hell even 10 years ago there was a guy that never TR'd and he was running with the epic raiders (back when 20 was cap and you only had epic not epic n/h/e)

Aelonwy

Cordovan on the last Fridays@4 stream said something to the effect that +2 was the usual level lockout for Hardcore? I'm not sure which is true now because I've only participated in the seasons that had rewards I wanted. But IIRC HC6 was the first with a +2 lockout, I'm pretty sure the previous ones I participated in Mimics and Archon season were +4. I also ran the rehash of season 1 and I could swear that was +4 too. I wish there was a text write-up of the stream because I just can't rewatch it to find the exact time he mentions it.

Not denying any of that, just pointing out that one quest is very different from ALL others. I'm just saying its hardly surprising that someone expects ALL quests to have the same function.

As to redoing that quest on ALL servers? IDK. Idk if its cost-efficient or worthwhile. There's no good reason for it to function as it does. I don't know anyone that even bothers running it in heroic anymore. It doesn't have this weird function in epics. Can you imagine if it were 20/25/30 on EN/EH/LE? That would be just as odd as its current heroic implementation. Its just as I said an outlier, an odd-ball, a one-off experiment. No wonder someone might question it.
---------------------------------------------
@Foaly : I'm not sure about Challenges, I don't run them on live let alone HC so I don't remember... I thought you could run them at level? Don't you select the level you want to run them?

Foaly's_Pub

@Foaly : I'm not sure about Challenges, I don't run them on live let alone HC so I don't remember... I thought you could run them at level? Don't you select the level you want to run them?
you can select the level but it goes off the lowest level you can select so if the challenge was level 3 then well you had to run it by level 7 when it broke instead of the CL+6 it was suppose to be... originally it was stated that challenges were level of challenge +6 but... it broke and well it was challenge base level +limit (+2/+4) so thats what it is now so if you look at the challenges level in the quest look up its that level+2 for this season

Phoenicis

Savage's Husband
Cordovan on the last Fridays@4 stream said something to the effect that +2 was the usual level lockout for Hardcore? I'm not sure which is true now because I've only participated in the seasons that had rewards I wanted. But IIRC HC6 was the first with a +2 lockout, I'm pretty sure the previous ones I participated in Mimics and Archon season were +4. I also ran the rehash of season 1 and I could swear that was +4 too. I wish there was a text write-up of the stream because I just can't rewatch it to find the exact time he mentions it.
8<snip>8
While he said it, he was wrong. I've played on every hardcore from season 1 on. The hounds (season VI) was the first with a level +2 lockout.

Season 1 was VIP only. Season 2 they opened it up to everyone (and the calls to get rid of the VIP elite open started) I think Season 2 was when they adjusted the reaper lockout to match the HC lockout if memory serves.

Foaly's_Pub

While he said it, he was wrong. I've played on every hardcore from season 1 on. The hounds (season VI) was the first with a level +2 lockout.

Season 1 was VIP only. Season 2 they opened it up to everyone (and the calls to get rid of the VIP elite open started) I think Season 2 was when they adjusted the reaper lockout to match the HC lockout if memory serves.
reaper was the same as normal hc from the get go only difference was they upped the base spawn rate of reapers from its default hence why in R1 and R2 you can end up with 3-5 reapers in a group some times when normally its max of 2 or 3 in a large mob

rabidfox

The People's Champion
reaper was the same as normal hc from the get go only difference was they upped the base spawn rate of reapers from its default hence why in R1 and R2 you can end up with 3-5 reapers in a group some times when normally its max of 2 or 3 in a large mob
Source?

Foaly's_Pub

my stream from last season.... ended up with 4 reapers on R1 during one of the necro 2 quests in a single group spawn i'd have to scrub through the whole back log to find it though.

but if you notice on live if you running reaper you normally get 1 maybe 2 in a single spawn in heroic's my 3 man static was seeing 2-4 reapers for a while in necro at least 2-3 times a quest. and we where on r1 IIRC

rabidfox

The People's Champion
That just sounds like RNG to me; I've had r1s where the number of reaps is insane and r10s where I barely see a reaper. RNG is gonna RNG.

Foaly's_Pub

That just sounds like RNG to me; I've had r1s where the number of reaps is insane and r10s where I barely see a reaper. RNG is gonna RNG.
on live me and my crew run casual r4's just to relax and we only see 2 maybe 3 reapers in a group from time to time (granted we steam roll them cause its our mains) but we don't see 2 or 3 reapers multiple times in a quest out side of quests that have massive or constant spawns (toee for example) normally we we run several quests and not see any. but for some reason on hardcore doing r1/r2 we see 2-3 reapers multiple times in a dungeon when normally in beginner reaper its its 1 or 2 maybe 3 of one spawns when a mob dies on the spawn reaper roll but thats RARE last season we were see that alot for some reason

The Narc

Lol maybe they lower the number of reapers in higher reaper skulls to make it harder to get to your conquest xp bonus. Keep buying those xp potions people! :)

Misadventure

Killing everybody on Hardcore with pleasure.
Can you imagine if it were 20/25/30 on EN/EH/LE?
Hah Now the devs going to screw us over. 🤣
The main point for challenges is to play them at +5 for max flavor. But HC screws that up.

Sheikra

the problem with the +2 lockout is unless you are in a static, which not everyone is lucky enough to find or have a group of friends who play, many many solo and pug, the +2 narrows the window of group finding and makes it very slow and difficult to group with other players unless they are on exactly what you are on - no jumping around and being spontaneous; you get stuck following LFMs for specific quests. Its very slow, not very fun, not social, and can be sad.
The problem with +4 lockout is that there is nothing hardcore about a level 10 running a level 6 dungeon lol

Sheikra

Foaly they already said somewhere it is 2 months, so get your wallet out and build another guild ship. I wont be joining you though i will be running my reaper xp toon in my exclusive pd halls of valhalla guild and we will run with the platinum bought ship if we run with buffs at all.
What is Halls of Valhalla? Are there real PD guilds out there that I can join over HC? :D

The Narc

What is Halls of Valhalla? Are there real PD guilds out there that I can join over HC? :D
Pd halls is a permadeath guild that has been running for atleast 10 years, the one run on hardcore is for an exclusive group of folks from that guild and from mortal voyage permadeath guild that are grouping with me on a consistent basis.

When we play on hardcore we use a base platinum ship with almost no buffs and we spend no money on tomes or xp pots or ship.

Most of us now play in Mortal Voyage permadeath on argonessen, which is run at +0 level adjustment only adjusted by reaper skulls, so you can run at +4 if you run an at level quest on R4.

I will likely be running in the wayfinder recruitment guild again as well this hardcore, only because i dont support any of the streaming guilds with streaming bosses, and you can clearly hear my opinion on their talents in game voice as such talk on these forums is not permitted.

Shiekra, I will have NARC in my name, seek me out and i will be happy to discuss grouping in the future playing permadeath in mortal voyage. I have been building a core group of players there that like to challenge content and are friendly and polite.

Sheikra

Pd halls is a permadeath guild that has been running for atleast 10 years, the one run on hardcore is for an exclusive group of folks from that guild and from mortal voyage permadeath guild that are grouping with me on a consistent basis.

When we play on hardcore we use a base platinum ship with almost no buffs and we spend no money on tomes or xp pots or ship.

Most of us now play in Mortal Voyage permadeath on argonessen, which is run at +0 level adjustment only adjusted by reaper skulls, so you can run at +4 if you run an at level quest on R4.

I will likely be running in the wayfinder recruitment guild again as well this hardcore, only because i dont support any of the streaming guilds with streaming bosses, and you can clearly hear my opinion on their talents in game voice as such talk on these forums is not permitted.

Shiekra, I will have NARC in my name, seek me out and i will be happy to discuss grouping in the future playing permadeath in mortal voyage. I have been building a core group of players there that like to challenge content and are friendly and polite.
Ok I jumped onto Argo and made a toon, I will look for ya!

The Narc

Ok I jumped onto Argo and made a toon, I will look for ya!
Also letting you know mortal voyage permadeath does not allow hirelings or ship buffs or house p or j buffs! No gear twinking, no consumable purchases, it is find what you use and no grand buffs or pitchucker hirelings! Looking forward to running with you.

Bjond

+2 narrows the window of group finding and makes it very slow and difficult to group

Static is ideal, but if you lack one, IMHO, it's just far FAR better to solo in HC, most especially if you're a trapper. There's always someone that doesn't listen and just blasts on through. Of my HC deaths that were not my own fault, all were due to rushing groupies while trapping.

For the char where I "finished" (reached favor goal) and then kept playing for fun and maybe more, I didn't stop dying until I started ignoring all pleas for help trapping and did it mostly solo; basically 1~20 solo/favor then 20~30 grouped doing whatever for minor rxp.

Bit of feedback on rewards: the cloaks are gorgeous. However, they're red. Red cloaks are common. Red anything is common. That means zero cosmetic motivation for me. White, OTH, is quite rare in cloaks and would have looked at least as nice. I might have done HC again for a white cloak just because of rarity even without any immediate desire to wear it.

Footprints are a good choice. I'd highly recommend getting footprints if you ever lead anything or even if you just know your way around. I get lots of comments about how nice the footprints are from newbies. I have bloody already and these aren't different enough to be a draw for me.

What would have been a sure draw: wings. Bat, dragon, bird, bee, dragonfly, .. even tiny lil' pigeon wings would have done it (for my bear). Wings for pets would also do it; eg. a feature that lets you add them cosmetically to a pet, hire, or companion.