Help Understanding Build Guides

RagingKiwi

Hi All,

I'm trying to give DDO a solid try and have tried to follow a build for a fighter from the Wiki (Dwarven Footman: https://ddowiki.com/page/Dwarven_Footman ).

I've got stuck understanding the enhancements part of the table. I don't see any of the enhancements on any of the trees for most of the ones prefixed with 'Fighter', for example:

• Fighter Attack Boost
  • Fighter Haste Boost
  • Fighter Weapon Alacrity
  • Fighter Armor Mastery
  • Fighter Critical Accuracy
I did find a couple others but I have a feeling maybe I was supposed to select fighter with something else? I did make sure to set the custom build so I know I got that part right.

tolanj

Those builds on the wiki tend to be WAYYYYY out of date and that one looks like its from an old version of the Enhancments system.

RagingKiwi

Sorry for the late reply it was sleep time in NZ for me.

So these build guides can be pretty out of date then. In terms of the thinking they teach is it wise to follow these or the pre-made classes in the game? I've given some thought to just rolling whatever I think makes sense though I do worry about getting stuck a bit.

Kalibano

Build Designer & Fun Lover!
Hi All,

I'm trying to give DDO a solid try and have tried to follow a build for a fighter from the Wiki (Dwarven Footman: https://ddowiki.com/page/Dwarven_Footman ).

I've got stuck understanding the enhancements part of the table. I don't see any of the enhancements on any of the trees for most of the ones prefixed with 'Fighter', for example:

• Fighter Attack Boost
  • Fighter Haste Boost
  • Fighter Weapon Alacrity
  • Fighter Armor Mastery
  • Fighter Critical Accuracy
I did find a couple others but I have a feeling maybe I was supposed to select fighter with something else? I did make sure to set the custom build so I know I got that part right.
Hi @RagingKiwi I have been working on my Build Repository recently. The builds are fully up-to-date, and should hopefully give some inspiration. Also hopeful the screenshots will make things easier for a new player like you.

I would recommend Paladin as a solid class to learn the game :) Hope this is helpful!

Last edited:

Scrag

@Strimtom has a lot of amazing builds, some cool experimental builds, and generally very detailed about how/why a particular build works. Kali also has some good build guides as well.

Between those two, you can find something for everyone.

I agree with Kali, having recently just started a PDK pally; I am not entirely sure how to pump damage out yet as it seems sporadic, but I was able to clear Sharn Welcome with a total mishmash of gear + part of the family set bonus at R1. Having never ever played that class before, I felt it was a really good barometer for what can be done with it.

I could see fighter working well, having partied with a few, but I do think a paladin has enough self-sufficiency to get through the beginning of the game, absolutely on normal, probably on hard, as an absolute new player with whatever cheap you can buy off the auction house.

Alternative to a paladin, clerics have crazy self sufficiency. As much as its poked at, dark apostate has a lot of really good benefits for a new player. If you mix that enhancement tree with strong backup in divine disciple, you can get very far. I did so on my first life as an absolute noob returning player, and was able to contribute well in heroic reaper 1 with minimal deaths. I did, however, have to redo my whole enhancement tree twice, but the plat costs were minimal.

Kalibano

Just thought I'd cross post this here from my Paladin build guide, where I gave some extra advice to Raginkiwi, since new players facing the same difficulties might look here because of the thread title:

Hi @RagingKiwi can't say my builds are directed fully at new players, but thought they could give you some inspiration (and they are fully up-to-date!). Apologies if I gave the wrong impression. Happy to offer some quick advice, though. Hope it helps!

Wood Elf might be a nice race choice for you, as you would get to pick 'Falchion' as a favoured weapon (fantastic critical profile) from its racial tree.
Human might work well too, for the extra feature, and from its racial tree, the action boost [C1], and extra strikethrough [T2].

You will probably want to go with Strength as your main attribute (start w 14-16), but also invest some in Constitution (start w 14-16), and Charisma (maybe 12 or a bit more).

You will need Wisdom of 14 to cast level 4 spells, but you can drink an Owl's Wisdom potion (+4 Wisdom) at the start of quests to qualify you to cast. Eventually you can get gear with wisdom bonus, (or just slot a diamond of Wisdom augment). So I'd say try to start Wisdom with 10.

Kalibano

Paladins are very resilient (Sacred Defender tree), and can self-heal quite well. The main offensive tree is quite nice. All-round a great class: it's what I always choose when I play the Hardcore League, hence my recommendation. It can be quite forgiving :)

The main disadvantage is that it sort of needs investment in quite a few ability scores (as in my previous reply). PDK, or the Feydark Illusionist tree, removes the need for v high Strength as a main stat by allowing you to hit and damage using the Charisma stat. Charisma is very synergistic with several things paladins do (try exploring my build guide, and you'll hopefully see where: I suggest having DDOWiki open side-by-side with the guide). However, even with those 2 options, you will still need some strength to qualify for the Two-Handed Weapong fighting features.

LeoLionxxx

Lion of Orien
So these build guides can be pretty out of date then. In terms of the thinking they teach is it wise to follow these or the pre-made classes in the game? I've given some thought to just rolling whatever I think makes sense though I do worry about getting stuck a bit.

It's hard to make a build that gets you "stuck", particularly if you're sticking with a pure (non-multi-class) build. As a new player it's perfectly fine to be running the normal difficulties where being optimized or being a swiss army knife don't matter.

Enhancment trees can be reset for a small plat fee, so don't worry about that.

And then when you get to LV 20 you'll be able to earn "Tokens of the Twelve" in order to get yourself a "True Heart of Wood" which will let you reset yourself to LV 1 with a snazzy power bump. OR you can proceed through to LV 30+.

Gaiden101

I totally agree with Kali and Scrag. As a new player Paladin is an excellent class to learn the game with. I recently came back after a 3+ year break and have been using this build: Here It's a couple years old but still very effective at least for early levels. I'm currently level 7 and have no problems running quests N/H/E at level. OP jumps into Reaper pretty early on but honestly I wouldn't recommend that for a new solo player. Maybe save that for life 2. Also unless your absolutely married to a quarterstaff build don't bother putting points into the Rogue tree. You're just going to respec out of it once you get the ability to make great sword a favored weapon.