how important is the lag issue to you?

to what level is lag a problem to you, 0 through 5 with descriptors

• 0 - lag has absolutely no affect on my enjoyment of the game.

• 1 - lag exists i think but it's a rare nuisance.

• 2 - lag exists and i notice it and on occassion affects my gameplay. devs should have lag on to-do.

• 3 - lag exists noitceably and is affects me almost daily. devs should put it on top 3 things to do.

• 4 - lag is very noticeable and makes some parts of game unplayable. destroying my enjoyment of ddo.

• 5 - lag is unbearable and makes most of the game unplayable. strongly considering quitting.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cmecu

according to DDOAudit whilst the gaming population has remained reasonably consistent since 2020 only wayfinder has a significantly low population.

So...what is wayfinder and why is it so low? is this an opportunity to create new characters and tryout that server?
Years back there were server issue that caused people on Wayfinder to lose a signiifcant amount of time played. The server was rolled back, but not hours, I forget but I thought it was days of data lost . So there was a mass exodus off of that server, along with people just outright quitting.

Spook

Years back there were server issue that caused people on Wayfinder to lose a signiifcant amount of time played. The server was rolled back, but not hours, I forget but I thought it was days of data lost . So there was a mass exodus off of that server, along with people just outright quitting.
Eh it was low pop by that point too. The reason it was low pop is it was the designated German Language server back when they supported more than english so it was originally mostly European refugees from when they shut down the Codemasters servers.

healertank

I wonder how much lag is created by the fact that we don't have regional servers? I've never played an online game that didn't suffer from players in another country, especially Asia region, trying to play on a server based in North America. You don't notice it as much if they are from Europe, South America, and our Aussie friends from down under. But even high priced AA game companies with regional based servers if you get someone from across the world trying to play with you it is noticeable. For a much older game like DDO I would expect it magnifices the issue.

Justfungus

I am sure the developers are tired of reading passive/aggressive threads. Nobody likes lag - given. The developers are do what they can to reduce it - given. Making a survey to confirm that , lag is bad, waste of time.

Chacka

I am sure the developers are tired of reading passive/aggressive threads. Nobody likes lag - given. The developers are do what they can to reduce it - given. Making a survey to confirm that , lag is bad, waste of time.
You describe how our world should be, but unfortunately, our world most likely does not care about how it should be. I remember when crippling server lag was a much bigger problem in DDO, and my impression was that the developers started to seriously address that issue only after players frequently reported it on the forum.
Therefore, from my perspective, threads like this are not "waste of time" at all, even if you can debate whether we currently have a serious issue with server lag in DDO.

You describe how our world should be, but unfortunately, our world most likely does not care about how it should be. I remember when crippling server lag was a much bigger problem in DDO, and my impression was that the developers started to seriously address that issue only after players frequently reported it on the forum.
Therefore, from my perspective, threads like this are not "waste of time" at all, even if you can debate whether we currently have a serious issue with server lag in DDO.
This right here for sure. The devs have to eventually put their foot down and talk to stakeholders and product management when it comes to this issue being figured out. It is not an ISP/Geography/Latency problem and it has nothing to do with FPS either. I really be sitting on never buying an xpac again since IoD (they still haven't even fixed the raptor audio crash?). I want Vecna and Myth, but to be simple, I don't see them as valuable products based on history any longer--I'm hanging on to nostalgia anymore at this point. We'll see how it works out I guess. I may buy them, I may not.

I would be tired of being told my product wasn't good enough either. Perhaps they should change their behavior?

Drunken.dx

I fear devs only see lag during office hours whereas rush hours happen later at dusk.
You just reminded me of shear incompetence of ANKAMA CS...

So there I was playing WAKFU on Saturday and game gets SUPER laggy (honestly, I've yet to experience such lag in DDO, which tells a lot)

Same as DDO there us no support over weekend, I write a ticket.

Get answer in Tuesday (not Monday) that they just checked and see no lag.

FFS forums were ablaze over weekend with players reporting game breaking lag and you respond with THAT to my ticket?

Xaerxiessia

Lost in Translation
If they really do , they should stop because it becomes worse and worse.

rohmer

Lag is the best part of the game, it provides some extra excitement!

Will my spell go off? Is my repeater going to actually shoot the monster I have targeted or the ceiling? Does this lag spike give me enough time for a bio and lunch?

Justfungus

It is ok to report/post saying ... that last patch made the lag worse ! That is important info. They messed up something and need to correct it. Am totally cool with that. But the "Lets take a survey to see if anyone cares about the lag" DUH!! Might as well ask, is having the game playable important for you or do you enjoy getting locked up not doing anything?

Xaerxiessia

Lost in Translation
The devs have to eventually put their foot down and talk to stakeholders and product management when it comes to this issue being figured out. It is not an ISP/Geography/Latency problem and it has nothing to do with FPS either.

The crippling effects are growing, update after update, while the pop is dwindling, HC season after HC season.
Will come the breaking point when they'll have to take a difficult decision for which they may not have the funds to act.
We all feel the Bollinger bands tightening, here.
The real challenge is now to determine when this gonna happen.

Pom

Pom
Some thoughts on the Lag issue :
There is no lag issue - Check your PC !! - Download the following patch / redress your registry ... have you polished your cache and cleared out your old software??
Lag mode is just a different challenge setting. It's like clay pigeon shooting - aim a few yards ahead and hope :)
But seriously if there was no lag who would I blame my deaths on ?? Me take personal responsibility for charging into a hundred mobs with the club of holy flame shouting yippee kiyaye ?? I don't think so.
When your as old as me you don't see it as lag - just real time.
"Honey I am coming to bed as soon as this lag clears and I can finish this game..."
"Well that restart has made a huge difference to the gameplay. What do you think Dave...Dave ... Dave??? ( Begins soliquy from Red Dwarf about a now dead guy called ....)
Anyone else noticed that LAG is actually an anogram for ladders are good. Now about them ladders....

Read this far you need a bit more lag in your life.... Laters :)

dejvid

Lag mode is just a different challenge setting. It's like clay pigeon shooting - aim a few yards ahead and hope :)

i did that back when i was younger in quake 3 arena. my ping here in germany was around 400ms when playing against others. and when i got the railgun, i had to do exactly that. not once have i shot directly at any other player in that game back then.

the difference to todays ddo is that those 400ms were consistent. it was the same latency the whole match, so i was acustomed to that lag issue. in ddo, the lag is all over the place. its perfectly fine, then you get a spike here and there, sometimes a whole mountain of spike, and then it runs fine again until you encounter a ladder or have to jump over some pits. then some enemies are invulnerable because the server says the enemy is behind you backstabbing your bossom, while the client says the little bugger is in front of you. after that, you run 2 quests without any lag issues at all! only to encounter the mother of all lagspikes while you are riding alone in kings forest later, that ultimately kicks you from the server.

i was ransacking that same old song quest in sharn in hope to loot that peashooter last weekend. in one of the runs, the medusa turned me into stone from across the room! i dont even know if she was directly in front of me or not. my screen definetly showed her on the other side screeching and shooting light at the wall. in crisp buttersmooth 60fps.

i dont get quality content like that in other mmos sadly.

Reaped and Ravaged

I don't like that the devs have not accounted for lag in newer raids like Leg Chrono and Skeletons. A better balanced Reaper raid scene with beefier, more frequent Reapers and toned down Boss damage/HP would be fairer to people trying to build community on the server instead of the hubris of treating R1 like "challenge mode" when R1 is no challenge in the rest of the game.

R2+ could even include Vengence reapers instead of the unbalanced Boss mechanics as an Improvement to Grouping. Like...Funner Grouping?

AMess

Won't you be my neighbor?
Blerg...Orien is currently unplayable for me.

I logged in, tried farming a dungeon on an easy difficulty, but was unable to land shots with bow, nearly died before simply leaving through quest entrance. I'm trying to switch to a melee alt, but am unable to "Cleaning up old connection...".

Game is unplayable, so I guess at some point lag is crucial for all players.

Rusty_helmet

And they don't work on weekends... you know the time when the servers have the most people. It's just crazy how backward they are.

MrBill

true.

i just wish ssg would have a sit down with the players.

#1 acknowledge that yes, there is a lag issue.

#2 say why they can't fix it. or why they can eventually.

#3 no b.s. to string us along. just say look it's the servers and we're not spending any money on it. or say look it's the code and we can't figure it out

#4 it's this obfuscation that makes me upset. the hiding. i play lotro as well and Orion the producer for that game is just so good about being up front about everything.

anyway i just want a straight up answer to all this which i know they know exactly what's wrong. they do. they just aren't willing to fix the issue.

just stop playing if you want their attention.
well said