I really want to like this game. I have had fun!! But now I'm level 5 and already frustrated.

Nebless

Oh and in the new update that is coming there will be this:
General Gameplay Changes:
  • We've done some minor changes to the flow of the early game involving taverns in The Harbor. Tavern keepers in The Harbor can now be asked for "Quest Leads", and they will now grant vector quests leading to the various quests around The Harbor. This structure is an early prototype to help with new player onboarding. There is also a bit of info about Favor and the Adventure Compendium.
  • For Preview 2, talk to the barkeeps in the Wayward Lobster or the Leaky Dingy.
  • If you want to look at the full flow start a new character and do the Baudry Cartamon line, and he'll vector you to the Wayward Lobster.

Good to see their introducing vector quests, but they shouldn't stop there as they could add some for the Pawn Shops etc... that the average players knows nothing about.

The beginning flow used to be better back before they changed the Harbor and moved the first tavern 'up the hill'. You also had a Harbormaster's quest chain you needed to do to unlock the Marketplace.

I started playing right after the change happened and remember running around all over looking for the tavern to take my first post Korthos quest. I finally had to ask in chat and was told the wiki and all hadn't been updated yet and was directed to where I needed to head to.

Mary

first thing you want to do if you're new to DDO is look at the group finder and jump in any R10s that you see.

This will prep your sense of humor for things to come.

then join a guild and find the deck that houses the danger room. Go in past the parrot and look around.

Another tip is, do not think because you see a ladder that you can just climb up it willy-nilly.
Many ladders in DDO require prayers, sacrifices, and sometimes dances.
You may even have to change shampoos.

PS - everything Ive written is a joke. Seriously though, on your server, many vet players will help if you let them know you're new.

Buddha5440

first thing you want to do if you're new to DDO is look at the group finder and jump in any R10s that you see.

This will prep your sense of humor for things to come.

then join a guild and find the deck that houses the danger room. Go in past the parrot and look around.

Another tip is, do not think because you see a ladder that you can just climb up it willy-nilly.
Many ladders in DDO require prayers, sacrifices, and sometimes dances.
You may even have to change shampoos.

PS - everything Ive written is a joke. Seriously though, on your server, many vet players will help if you let them know you're new.
I was wondering why my hair felt so spiky.

I thought it was my arthritis causing issues with the ladders.

I never made it to the parrot in the "danger room".

Love it Mary :)

/+1

Jack Jarvis Esquire

One of the shining lights from SSG is/was the Freequests initiative.

I never benefitted directly from them (though have very likely run with folks who have) but it was a magnificent gesture and made a lot of commercial sense too in easing the burden for newer players in particular.

I get that giving everything away for free can cause product to become devalued in customer perceptions. Folks tend to value stuff more when they've earned it, but...

I'd suggest making all non-expansion quest packs that are over 3 years old permanently free. Folks can then either go VIP or Premium to add the newer quests and can purchase expansions from the store (sales offer some decent discounts there).

More players = more content, and more players = more revenue. Both of these outcomes are self-evidently good for the game and the paywall for new players ought to be much lower than it currently stands IMO.

Br4d

At this point in the game's evolution it probably makes sense to do three things to make the game easier/more accessible for brand new players:

1. Almost all of the non-expansion content should be free for everybody. Just rip the quest packs out of the store and make the content F2P. This is the permanent freequests code option.

Why? Because people feel ripped off when they pay for stuff that is later given out for free. For the vets this doesn't matter much because most of us bought this stuff years ago. For a newer player it can be a total blindside to realize that you spent money on content that was then given out for free just because the timing was wrong for you. Feeling ripped off is a huge incentive for leaving.

2. Select content should be reserved as pay-only but it should also include additional incentives to make that worth the cost. Examples would be the L3 Catacombs pack which could be in the store with the inclusion of Gold Seal Elieri Thistledown. L5 Three Barrel Cove could be in the store with the inclusion of 5x Major Slayer pots to introduce players to wilderness slayer farming. L8 Against the Slavelords with 5x Major XP pots to help with one of the first real grinds in the game, etc.

Most of the content would be F2P so players could keep playing easily but there would be incentives every few levels in the form of a pack with bonus items to get people to buy in the store. Expansions would still be in the store and marketplace depending on whether people wanted the bonus items associated with them.

3. Remove the extra XP requirements for heroic lives. Just make it 1.9M XP for each heroic life.

Why? Because the difference between 1.9M and 2.85M and 3.8M XP is *really* noticeable. The second life can be a drag but the 3rd life seems interminable to a lot of players. Also as a bonus Otto's Heroic Boxes will now actually be a heroic past life with no jiggering or extra pots or anything and that is likely to be an incentive for newer players to buy them. No hidden costs, just a life plus some cool stuff for your $50-odd expenditure.

All three of these ideas would lead to greater retention of newer players and likely greater expenditures on Otto's heroic Boxes when they were available.

The heroic XP expansion after life 1 really makes no sense in the state the game is in right now. Power creep is already completely out of control and it's not like your additional Epic lives - the places power creep is completely out of control in - cost extra.

lumpi

I started the sharn syndicate quests and now it requires a purchase. I bought one content package and now I need to buy another one. I only did the intital purchase because players and stream creators informed me what were good factions and quests to do early in the game. I wish I was told by the first quest giver that this was a DLC before I invested time into it.

I think I understand what the OP is talking about. I'm a F2P player now, missed the free coupon giveaway. I was in a group in HC, lvl5, doing quests in Cerulaen hills. After doing 'Where's there Smoke' the group went to the next quest, 'The Home of Memory' and I was able to enter the quest, no warning or message saying this was a premium quest. We successfully completed the quest, but I was unable to FO. Every time I clicked the FO button it opened the DDO store. I guess I could have run back to the entrance to exit, but the group wasn't going to wait, so I just logged out.

I don't know if that is WAI, since I was not the group leader but I was still able to enter the quest.

DYWYPI

Hmm, lumpi it appears The Lost Gatekeepers adventure pack, still has a bug were F2P players can erroneously access the first four quests.

https://ddowiki.com/page/The_Lost_Gatekeepers said:
Bug: Free to Play characters can currently access the first four quests even though the quest NPC has red chalice and red exclamation point. Free to Play players will need to use the slash command /death to recall out of the instance or purchase it.

So that unfixed bug within that specific pack, is probably what you will have experienced, and that's also why you would have needed to type: /death to recall out of the quest.

Last edited: