I really want to like this game. I have had fun!! But now I'm level 5 and already frustrated.

Oliphant

Every few years the last few years they've given out a free code for most of the packs. While that is awesome and laudable, I have to admit I think it's necessary and onboarding this game otherwise is a massive ask of new players that does not exactly make a lot of sense.

Knudge

I'm sorry. I was wrong. I put my hand up as mistaken. I apologize more so if I said something that you took personally. I'm new to Forum discussions. My responses were rude and personal. The opposite of the point I meant to make.

Knudge

Every few years the last few years they've given out a free code for most of the packs. While that is awesome and laudable, I have to admit I think it's necessary and onboarding this game otherwise is a massive ask of new players that does not exactly make a lot of sense.
I agree, if a New Player should join between GIVEAWAYCODE and Wait until the NEXTTIMECODE, They can play until Level 3 then be met by a Pay Wall.

Scrag

Ravenloft is a real win that is bundled with 2 other expansions (from way back in the day). Most recently the combo was on sale for 99 points.

To be honest, I really feel the best way to get started is as a vip. There are numerous perks, but largely, it gives you time to figure out what you want to do, what you like, what is possible, and what you "need" to get to scratch that itch.

When I first returned not long ago as a purely ftp, I went crazy. So many quests were locked to me, I didn't remember about the wiki, and generally any team I joined was running content I didn't have as a ftp anyway.

Going vip made my life simple. I like simple things.

Nebless

After looking at the free to play list. A F2p player gets Korthos, Harbor. Then a level 3 brick wall.

Not real sure what you're talking about since there's 75 free lvl 1 to 10 dungeons (and another 24 lvl 11 to 20). Which is more than enough to hit level 10 totally free to play.

If you're saying that they experience their first locked quest at level 3, than OK, but all they have to do is move to one of the free quests.

As to finding the free quests you can just open up the map, free (one's you can do) quests are colored gold and one's you can't (because you don't own them) are colored red. In addition when you actually get to a quest giver, if you can't take the quest because you don't own it, he'll have a large SSG coin over his head. All pretty straight forward.

And if you don't want to just run around finding quests, you google the list of free quests by level and just work down the list.

There is NO brick wall.

Buddha5440

Not real sure what you're talking about since there's 75 free lvl 1 to 10 dungeons (and another 24 lvl 11 to 20). Which is more than enough to hit level 10 totally free to play.

If you're saying that they experience their first locked quest at level 3, than OK, but all they have to do is move to one of the free quests.

As to finding the free quests you can just open up the map, free (one's you can do) quests are colored gold and one's you can't (because you don't own them) are colored red. In addition when you actually get to a quest giver, if you can't take the quest because you don't own it, he'll have a large SSG coin over his head. All pretty straight forward.

And if you don't want to just run around finding quests, you google the list of free quests by level and just work down the list.

There is NO brick wall.
I agree.

Unfortunatley , that requires a player to take an active role, ... which many don't.

You can certainly get to lv 20 (even lv 32) as F2P (there are ~20 F2P Epic/Legendary quests). By the time you get to Epic levels, you will have enough points to buy other packs, which leads you to more points...then you buy more packs...repeat.

The information is out there if you look for it.

Cyran

If I was running the game this would be how I would handle access to quests.

1) Make adventure packs level 1-10 free

2) Instead of every once in awhile offering a free code to get every quest free that not part of a expansion/mini expansion I would create a new thing in store charge $40 for example that just gives every adventure pack already release and going forward.

I think a lot of new players that make it to level 10 might be willing to pay it to get every quest that not part of a expansion/mini expansion.

It might make VIP even less valuable but that shipped sailed when they started doing the codes anyway and it need to be fixed so it valuable for a reason other then content anyway. Loose some revenue from new adventure packs maybe but they release so few that not been included in free code anyway my guess is the potential income from new players buying all adventure packs current and going forward would be better anyway. Most things free or part of expansion lately anyway (or updated existing content).

Only having to pay once for all none expansion/mini expansions I think would be appealing to a lot of new players and generate more income then the current system if you give new players enough time in game before asking for the money which why I would make the first 10 levels basically free other then the expansions.

Knudge

There is NO brick wall.
Well, when you put it like that... I'm an idiot. But just to stir the pot a bit, The Gatekeepers Grove, Lost Keepers Quests are doable for Free to Play but you have to Die to exit. And you can't have the Final One, Housekeeping. Surely that could be easily switched to Free to Play?
No offence intended, but Cerulean Hills is not a big deal. It's already F2Pish, please Devs just unlock it for the F2Pers. I think if they see Housekeeping (and also don't get smacked in the face with the "You can play these 4 quests, but you have to die." they are more likely to engage.

Nebless

The Gatekeepers Grove, Lost Keepers Quests are doable for Free to Play but you have to Die to exit.

Well I guess I'm the idiot now since I don't understand. The Gatekeepers is a buy to play pack so how can F2p do them? and what do you mean they have to die to exit?

JaynChar2019

After looking at the free to play list. A F2p player gets Korthos, Harbor. Then a level 3 brick wall. That isn't a good experience. Sure there is the going back and repeating on a higher difficultly. Also not a good experience.
The catacombs starter pack was a good one. Yeah it cost money in the market but was a deal at least. Though going through and tinting colors for vips and people that own the content is a nice jesture it's not for the new player it would be for the vet player. Seems like a waste of time unless they were going to totally update the new player that starts f2p experience. Even if one were to help new player out that are f2p at some point they will be left behind at the paywall. The vet player might feel bad but it will be a hard truth.
This is definitely an issue I just watched a video today that was also hilarious were they talked about this very thing. Here is a good guide for running ddo and not spending any money
but I dont think the coupon code is still working. I would check forums regularly to see if they issue a new one.

Knudge

Well I guess I'm the idiot now since I don't understand. The Gatekeepers is a buy to play pack so how can F2p do them? and what do you mean they have to die to exit?
I don't pretend to be an expert, they call it Redboxing. A VIP can create a group or team in the Wilderness area that is accessible for F2P, Captives, Where there is smoke. Both are F2P, but the Gatekeepers Quests are part of the Keep on the Borderlands Pack. (Don't get me started on that.) F2P can access the quests, but cannot exit by clicking the Fibish Button, they have to use the /death command.

JaynChar2019

I understand that this was not a free to play game originally. I think I understand how content is put out as packages and these are mini DLC.
I like the idea that NEW content is created for all levels. I sort of understand the reimcarnation concept and that is why new low/mid level content is still produced.

But as a new player I have no idea what to do next.
I am level 5 and all my quests are either level 2 or require a purchase from the store. As a Veteran MMO player I have gone through many a leveling process. I welcome new ways to move a player through the story and building a character. But I do expect some guidance in progression, especially in the early stages.

I started the sharn syndicate quests and now it requires a purchase. I bought one content package and now I need to buy another one. I only did the intital purchase because players and stream creators informed me what were good factions and quests to do early in the game. I wish I was told by the first quest giver that this was a DLC before I invested time into it.

Am I really required to go to forums or wiki to get direction on how to progress my character and to know what quests I can and cannot do free? I know I can go to other sections/areas but this breaks continuity of the story and I am concerned I will miss something needed for my class, race, etc. because I don't have any direction as to what is the "next step" in my character's story.

I am not usually a person that whines and complains or tries to paint a dreary picture all the time. This post is 50% frustration, 50% sincerity in wanting to play this game, and 50% confusion. Not the fun kind of confusion that I experienced on the very fun puzzles in the early dungeons. That was fun and my math was much better then.

To anyone that read all this I thank you and I appreciate your time and willingness to help. I had a LOT of fun up to this point but the last two days were just wandering around lost.
Oh and in the new update that is coming there will be this:
General Gameplay Changes:
  • We've done some minor changes to the flow of the early game involving taverns in The Harbor. Tavern keepers in The Harbor can now be asked for "Quest Leads", and they will now grant vector quests leading to the various quests around The Harbor. This structure is an early prototype to help with new player onboarding. There is also a bit of info about Favor and the Adventure Compendium.
  • For Preview 2, talk to the barkeeps in the Wayward Lobster or the Leaky Dingy.
  • If you want to look at the full flow start a new character and do the Baudry Cartamon line, and he'll vector you to the Wayward Lobster.

Knudge

Oh and in the new update that is coming there will be this:
General Gameplay Changes:
  • We've done some minor changes to the flow of the early game involving taverns in The Harbor. Tavern keepers in The Harbor can now be asked for "Quest Leads", and they will now grant vector quests leading to the various quests around The Harbor. This structure is an early prototype to help with new player onboarding. There is also a bit of info about Favor and the Adventure Compendium.
  • For Preview 2, talk to the barkeeps in the Wayward Lobster or the Leaky Dingy.
  • If you want to look at the full flow start a new character and do the Baudry Cartamon line, and he'll vector you to the Wayward Lobster.
Neat. I am happy about this! Woo Hoo! I will spend more time in taverns. But I, as a VIP still have no idea where I can take a new player. When I start a discussion in a tavern about places I can show a newbie how it works around here.

JaynChar2019

Neat. I am happy about this! Woo Hoo! I will spend more time in taverns. But I, as a VIP still have no idea where I can take a new player. When I start a discussion in a tavern about places I can show a newbie how it works around here.
You can also use this https://ddowiki.com/page/Quests

Free to play quests: https://ddowiki.com/page/Guide_to_Free_to_Play#Quest_list
sagas: https://ddowiki.com/page/Saga

DDO wiki is very helpful to try to find what you need to be doing. Also has great info on loot just search ddo swords in google for example. all named swords will be on that wiki page and you can filter by level.

Buddha5440

You can also use this https://ddowiki.com/page/Quests

Free to play quests: https://ddowiki.com/page/Guide_to_Free_to_Play#Quest_list
sagas: https://ddowiki.com/page/Saga

DDO wiki is very helpful to try to find what you need to be doing. Also has great info on loot just search ddo swords in google for example. all named swords will be on that wiki page and you can filter by level.
Alas...that takes effort on their part. Most MMO'ers (not ALL) do not want to have to figure things out for themselves. It's more of a 'give it to me now without me having to figure it out' mentality.

JaynChar2019

Alas...that takes effort on their part. Most MMO'ers (not ALL) do not want to have to figure things out for themselves. It's more of a 'give it to me now without me having to figure it out' mentality.
Not everyone knows there's a whole wiki just for ddo. When I first found out I was completely blown away with the level of info that is on there. I'm just trying to spread the good word.

Nebless

....but the Gatekeepers Quests are part of the Keep on the Borderlands Pack.

No they're not, unless you mean the favor for both goes to the same (Gatekeepers). They're separate dungeon packs.

As for 'redboxing', sounds like a exploit in the system for the Crelen Hills.