Kali's Barbarian Ravager THF CON Melee DPS build

I dont Like gimps

Thanks again for your input. I do feel quite passionate about this, so I hope you will forgive my last attempt to clarify/expound on my perspective:

What I am progressively getting from the side of the argument that intimidate is the best, is that...

... which creates a convenience for gearing, sure, but doesn't make Intimidate synergistic neither useful beyond Visage.

Further to the above:
- it's very likely values are higher for intimidate to support tanks holding agro, but also possible that it was just not yet balanced, for reasons only the Devs know. They might be well aware of this 'special' benefit Intimidate is granting Visage, but there is as much a possibility that the values for this skill could be brought in line with the rest in the near future, at which point this 'blind' support being displayed for a useless skill to barbs might perhaps suddenly start lessening?
- squeezing all those bonuses in is not easy, nor synergistical (intimidate is normally found on tank items) and it comes at a price: DPS loss
- intimidate draws agro, which is the opposite of what a melee DPS character wants: to be clear, pressing that button and using the ability is not a good idea unless you are a tank
- intimidate is based on Charisma, which is not a Barbarian trait, and nothing in the class nor the destinies Barbarians are likely to utilise benefits from Charisma nor intimidate
- trying extra hard to find a use for intimidate to try to justify why it's nice for barbs is likely to create a further disadvantage: on top of all the waste raising CHA and intimi, then there's a further waste increasing something else e.g. a massive threat reduction investment.

I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree on this, as I am still unconvinced: to me, intimidate is awful for barbs, pretty much anything else would have more utility and synergy:

- tactical DCs (e.g. trip, stun, sunder) would have an obvious utility (apart from supporting Visage DCs): crowd control, support the melee playstyle, and have strong synergies with melee EDs barbarians could choose to use.
Trip: FotW,
Stun: LD, SD, GMoF
Sunder: Divine Crusader

- assassinate would be fully thematic (it's an insta-kill ability), and though not present in the barbarian trees, there are other specific places (e.g Falconry, Shadowdancer) that could support DC numbers, while granting further abilities that would benefit from assassinate (e.g. bird attacks causing helplessness). The same is not true for intimidate.

Both of the above work for a ton of other attacks/abilities, so it's difficult to see the argument that something unrealistic would need to be put in place for them to be workbale for barbs.

- even jump (STR-based) or concentrate (CON-based) would have more obvious synergy with barbarians, since they are ability scores barbarians naturally invest in, and would have secondary utilities, which intimidate doesn't

Very happy to agree to disagree :) being a terrible option or not, I've had to get on and re-do my barb anyway.
I'd argue that if u run a Con based Ravager you are sort of expected to Be the budget tank if no proper one is in the party hence u would want to go Intimidate anyway no? and even on full deeps Barbs u sorta take Intim with you because its rather the Barb with Uncanny dodge than some of the squishier lads in the party. Outside of raid groups I rarely run with a beefy boy so these scenarios are more than ubiquitous

Also Intimidate makes sense thematically both spell and class wise.

Kalibano

Build Designer & Fun Lover!
I'd argue that if u run a Con based Ravager you are sort of expected to Be the budget tank if no proper one is in the party hence u would want to go Intimidate anyway no? and even on full deeps Barbs u sorta take Intim with you because its rather the Barb with Uncanny dodge than some of the squishier lads in the party. Outside of raid groups I rarely run with a beefy boy so these scenarios are more than ubiquitous

Also Intimidate makes sense thematically both spell and class wise.
Thanks for your input too.

I see your point, and what you describe is easily visible in day-to-day gaming: people often wait a long time for a tank to join (speaking of raids, where tanks are most desirable), and that doesn't always materialise, so they end up with the 'budget tanks'.

Some counter-points, if I may:
- budget tanks are mere Band-Aids, which on a handful of occasions where DPS is VERY strong (and everyone has a Hood of Unrest to cast on the 'tank' while their uncanny dodge is on timer) they might work. More often than not, they just end up dying and the raid fails and goes back to lfm for a tank when a few people drop in frustration
- one of the main reasons is because what makes a tank is not just a bag of hit points and intimidate: that's why I don't fully agree with your scenario above
- I have a tank (though not in my repository yet), and have played it for many years. Without proper investment in defenses to reduce/avoid damage for long periods of time (i.e. lots of stackable PRR, MRR, elemental absorption, dodge, AC, etc), any bags of HP will go down quickly and not get the job done properly
- without heavy investment in consistent threat generation and agro maintenance (e.g. Unyielding Sentinel tree, and abilities like Celestial Mandate and Throw the Boom) tanking (even with intimidate) is rarely fully viable on many raids

So, I can see your argument, and the 'use' and 'value' of 'budget tanks' for day-to-day gaming, but my build in particular does not and will not fulfil this role, even with investment in intimidate. It's a DPS build, with higher durability (both because of the HPs and barbarian DR), and that's likely why it's popular with players, as this durability creates a forgiving scenario when learning the game and its mechanics. For the more experienced players, this potentially translates in being able to absorb a couple more slaps while fighting before dying, as well as a higher chance for the healer to top you up in combat.

For those following this build: I do NOT recommend using it as a 'budget tank', but play the way you like, as I myself preach all the time :)

Last edited:

I dont Like gimps

Thanks for your input too.

I see your point, and what you describe is easily visible in day-to-day gaming: people often wait a long time for a tank to join (speaking of raids, where tanks are most desirable), and that doesn't always materialise, so they end up with the 'budget tanks'.

Some counter-points, if I may:
- budget tanks are mere Band-Aids, which on a handful of occasions where DPS is VERY strong (and everyone has a Hood of Unrest to cast on the 'tank' while their uncanny dodge is on timer) they might work. More often than not, they just end up dying and the raid fails and goes back to lfm for a tank when a few people drop in frustration
- one of the main reasons is because what makes a tank is not just a bag of hit points and intimidate: that's why I don't fully agree with your scenario above
- I have a tank (though not in my repository yet), and have played it for many years. Without proper investment in defenses to reduce/avoid damage for long periods of time (i.e. lots of stackable PRR, MRR, dodge, elemental absorption, etc), any bags of HP will go down quickly and not get the job done properly
- without heavy investment in threat generation and agro grabbing (e.g. Unyielding Sentinel tree, and abilities like Celestial Mandate and Throw the Boom) tanking (even with intimidate) is rarely fully viable on many raids

So, I can see your argument, and the 'use' and 'value' of 'budget tanks' for day-to-day gaming, but my build in particular does not and will not fulfil this role, even with investment in intimidate. It's a DPS build, with higher durability (both because of the HPs and barbarian DR), and that's likely why it's popular with players, as this durability creates a forgiving scenario when learning the game and its mechanics. For the more experienced players, this potentially translates in being able to absorb a couple more slaps while fighting before dying, as well as a higher chance for the healer to top you up in combat.

For those following this build: I do NOT recommend using it as a 'budget tank', but play the way you like, as I myself preach all the time :)
I think u sort off avoided my Point I was specifying that u rarely find tanks Outside of raids hence I was focussing on budget tanking in questing.

I didnt even think of raid tanking since your builds are often based on Low PL chars and because It highly depends on the raid wether u can budget tank comfortably for say Lvod r1 is a piece of cake , Dino LH is annoying but okayish and PN is No bueno *looking at you Gish Armor shred*

Kalibano

I think u sort off avoided my Point I was specifying that u rarely find tanks Outside of raids hence I was focussing on budget tanking in questing.

I didnt even think of raid tanking since your builds are often based on Low PL chars and because It highly depends on the raid wether u can budget tank comfortably for say Lvod r1 is a piece of cake , Dino LH is annoying but okayish and PN is No bueno *looking at you Gish Armor shred*
I see what you mean. Though I mentioned raiding (where many consider tanks to be most valuable), I was also referring to general questing.

Speaking mostly from my personal experience with my low PL tank running reaper 6-10 endgame quests for many years:
Though some don't consider tanks useful in regular quests, I find them very valuable in the sense they make everyone else more efficient at what they do, and make quests go like a breeze:
- tanks can round mobs up in a nice bunch, which makes landing CC and/or AoE dmg spells easier (AoE melee attacks too)
- they can 'Throw the Boom' onto archers and casters that don't get bunched up to grab their agro from a distance (or easily enough run/jump around a bit to grab agro via intimidate, using hate-boosted attack like Celestial Mandate, I personally like using PA's Shard Storm, etc.)
- absorb dmg, leaving DPS and casters free to dish out the dmg without worrying much about drawing agro and/or dying
- facilitate healing, since it can be mostly focused on the tank, giving healers the chance to play more actively (either casting those annoying extremally short-length 'Hope' buffs to increase DPS and the tanks defense), or like my healer, to free up time for some CC, insta-kills and/or dmg dealing spellcasting
- increase dmg output e.g. by granting everyone who invests in it, extra sneak attack damage, or by removing the need to kite tings around to stay alive while others do dmg
- deal with agro from mini and main bosses (as well as anything that can't be CCed), which in itself, is a valuable role, since every single quest has them

I know some level their tanks as DPS, do all the endgame content as DPS for reaper xp, and then TR+20 into a tank just to hop onto raids for their guilds. Some only do a tank build in their very final life. That's unlikely to be the behaviour of the majority of the players who dab into tanking, though.
My experience is different: I do level a more DPS focused build (since I pretty much solo everything in low-mid reaper until mid-late epics), but then I enjoy the enntire (ever-growing) endgame as a tank (since I'm not interested in the TR hamster wheel, despite tanks possibly being the role that benefit the most from PL bonuses).

So pretty much the same I said in my previous post: my CON-based DPS barb is not suitable for doing all the above in the difficulties I normally run, because he is not built for tanking. I don't do 'budget-tanking' ever: if a tank is needed, I simply log mine and do it proper (as it takes a LOT of very heavy investment). Sorry, not a fan of budget tanking, as you can tell :) Kudos to those who do it, as long as it's fun for them!

Happy to agree to disagree ref CON Ravagers being 'expected' to be budget tanks. Personally, I feel it would likely be simpler and more productive for some people to manage their own expectations of what others can/should do, or just go and do it themselves, if they want/can/have fun with it :)

Again, I do see the 'need' for budget tanks for day-to-day play, just not a build people will find in my repository, since tanking is a lot more complex than just having a lot of HP, equipping a shield and pressing intimidate (or just smashing things real hard with incredible DPS to try to hold agro).

Last edited:

Kalibano

U66 changes: Visage of Terror

LTR of my character completed in the live game, so I've been able to update the following images:
- Feats (1 change @ level 27)
> 'Epic Reputation' added /// 'Greater Cleave' removed​
- Heroic enhancements (2 changes: 1 in Ravager T1, and 1 in Frenzied Berserker [T1])
> Ravager: 'Ritual Scarring [T1]' x3 ranks added /// 'Hardy Rage [T1]' x3 ranks removed​
> Frenzied Berzerker: 'Cracking Attack [T1]' x2 ranks added /// 'Extra Rage [T1]' x2 ranks removed​
- Epic Destinies (1 change in FotW)
> 'Sense Weakness [T3]' x1 rank added /// 'I'm Always Angry [T2]' x1 rank removed​
- DPS gear spreadsheet (screenshot)
> several augment changes/additions​

I've also updated the downloadable files for
- DDOBuilder file for this build
- Barbarian Ravager DPS gear planner spreadsheet

The following will be updated in the near future (once I finish the final details of the LTR):
- image for Key abilities toolbar (Main rotation)
- Visage DCs to reflect the in-game values

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Kalibano

20k+ views!

My first build to reach this many views. Still seems to be the most popular out of all the builds in my repository:

2024-04-Kali-s-Top-5-builds-based-on-views.jpg

Enjoy! :)

Kalibano

U66 changes: Visage of Terror

Main post updated to reflect the live game build (breakdown also included), posted below for ease of access:

Secondary aim(s):
2. AoE Insta Kills:
> Ravager​
> 'Visage of Terror [C6]' {every 30s}
106+1d20 {Intimidate skill + 1d20}
Barbarian-Ravager-Visage-of-Terror-DC.jpg
Intimidate breakdown:​
Trained skill ranks
> +23: Intimidate skill points from levelling up​
Ability Scores
> +14: Charisma Modifier (starting CHA = 12, inc +2 tome, and +2 Yugoloth potion)​
Tome: skill
> +4: inherent bonus to Intimidate skill​
Favor
> +2: 'House Deneith: skill bonus' [75 favor]​
Feats
> +10: 'Epic skills' (auto-granted @ each epic level)​
> +5: 'Epic Reputation'​
Heroic
> +6: Ravager's 'Cores 4-6' (+2 per core)​
> +3: Ravager 'Ritual Scarring [T1]'​
Epic Destinies
> +3: Grandmaster of Flowers 'Disciple's Studies [T1]'​
Gear bonuses (inc Set bonuses)
> +20 competence bonus​
Augments
> +7: 'Legendary Brightbane Emerald [green]' {replacing 'Emerald of Greater Rage' = -3 Rage charges}
> +2: luck bonus 'Good Luck +2 [blue]' {replacing 'Golem's Heart'}
Spells/scrolls/buffs
> +4: morale bonus [Greater Heroism scroll]
Airship buffs
> +3: 'Throne Room'

Planned to be acquired/added:
Favor
> +2: 'Coin Lords: skill bonus' [400 favor]​
New projected values: 108+1d20

Last edited: