Kali's Monk Henshin Mystic THF WIS Melee DPS build

Ruorick

Hey there,

I made adjustments because of the changes to Quivering Palm using Assassinate. Though initially the changes were only going to be in the EDs, I decided to also change my heroic trees to get some extra SA die and Haste boost, while acquiring past lives, so eventually down the line I could invest in the Trailblazer tree as before.

If you don't have many past lives, you could opt to drop the Vistani and Ninja Spy APs in favour of the racial tree, if this would suit your playstyle better. Then, as you acquire racial lives, you can invest in those 2 trees.

If you have racial past lives, then just fill the Trailblazer tree up, while keeping the rest as I suggested in my build :)

Here's the old image, in case it's helpful to guide your racial choices:
Monk-Hensin-Mystic-Heroic-enhancs-Old.jpg

Hope this was helfpful!
Hey thanks, certainly was helpful! I'll take a 2nd look at the two side by side and see what'll fit me best and just wing it. Despite playing DDO over the course of a few years I've only now done my first TR. Great work on these writeups btw, makes me want to roll up unique alts the same way!

Ruorick

Update since my TR into this, so far loving this with amazing movement & CC with the tabaxi tree for mine, however I've wondered why you mention Quivering Palm under your single target instakills but with AOE via Strikethrough, do you actually ever get more than 1 instakill with QP just from strikethroughs? I'm only ever getting a single kill each time, am I missing something, or was it maybe a typo? :D

Kalibano

Build Designer & Fun Lover!
Update since my TR into this, so far loving this with amazing movement & CC with the tabaxi tree for mine, however I've wondered why you mention Quivering Palm under your single target instakills but with AOE via Strikethrough, do you actually ever get more than 1 instakill with QP just from strikethroughs? I'm only ever getting a single kill each time, am I missing something, or was it maybe a typo? :D
Hey Ruorick :)

Thanks for pointing this out.

This alt has been at endgame for a while, and it was just very recently that QP got a boost to its efficiency. I was under the impression that it did get affected by Strikethrough, but I must confess at endgame it becomes harder to notice if things are dying because of your blows, or because of the AoE nukers in the group lol. So not a typo, but perhaps a misconception/ assumption on my part?

I did some searching in the wiki and it does not seem to be listed under the abilities that have been confirmed to work with strikethrough, which tbh surprised me. That section of the site mentions it's based on data from the DDO Forums, so basically player testing (and perhaps a Dev popping in to confirm?).

I'll amend the description in my build, and report it in the hope that it will be made to work with strikethrough, if it really doesn't.

Last edited:

Ruorick

Haha I understand if at end game you have so many more things happening around you that it goes unnoticed. Let's hope it can actually get noted and receive the strikethrough🤞:p

Xorlarrin

For someone who has never seen the draw of monk and never played it, in D&D paper games. I am loving your build. I got 30-32 now, only on second life, didn't do 30-32 first life was too eager to TR. As poor as my gear is since I am still using green helm, body, and both rings are really not adding much, this build still tearing down groups quick and I absolutely love Everything is Nothing lol. Very temped to do monk for third life too but I may play something else just to spread out my enjoyment.

I been farming gear and sagas for items since I like this build so much but I do not have IoD. Hope it goes on sale next week. Can you suggest another body? I want to make sure I am farming the right gear or as close to the right gear as I can get.

Thanks for any suggestions and sharing this build.

Kalibano

Hey @Xorlarrin

For someone who has never seen the draw of monk and never played it, in D&D paper games. I am loving your build.... this build still tearing down groups quick and I absolutely love Everything is Nothing lol.
Really pleased to hear you are enjoying the build :) Thanks for sharing this positive feedback here!

I been farming gear and sagas for items since I like this build so much but I do not have IoD. Hope it goes on sale next week.
IoD has amazing gear, 🤞 it goes on sale in the near future and you are able to buy that pack. I personally feel it's still stronger than Vecna, especially for this build using staffs (no raid ones in Vecna). In the meantime, your plan to farm alternative gear seems very reasonable and workable.

Can you suggest another body? I want to make sure I am farming the right gear or as close to the right gear as I can get.

Thanks for any suggestions and sharing this build.
Happy to make some suggestions/ share some thoughts ref alternative gear:
(for ease of access, re-posting the current gear set I recommended for this build, available to download: Monk Henshin Mystic DPS gear planner spreadsheet)
Monk-Henshin-DPS-set-1-gear-planner.jpg

- Set bonus 1 (artefact bonus):
Part of the Family is still very solid, so if you have Sharn, you are all set with those pieces as per above. This is the main set bonus for this build, anyway.​
- Set bonus 2 (profane bonuses):
This is possibly the biggest loss you will have without the Dread set.​
> If you have Vecna Unleashed, the profane set gives the exact same bonuses. Though not as flexible as IoD, it's a strong alternative.​
> If you don't, the only other comparable option would be Ravenloft's Adherent of the Mists set (below), and the items that make up the set are not too bad, and imo would be just fine to use while farming IoD:​
  • +15 Profane Bonus to Melee and Ranged Power
  • +30 Profane Bonus to Physical Resistance Rating.
  • +30 Profane Bonus to Positive, Negative, and Repair Healing Amplification.
  • +15 Profane Bonus to Universal Spell Power.
The other possible loss you will have without the Dread set is the great flexibility it offers:​
> fully craftable helm and cloak​
> one craftable slot on many of the items that are part of the set​
> ability to use the weapon slot as part of the set (Adherent's set does not give that, and neither will Vecna since there is no staff in the raid))​
Many bonuses are now available via augments: hopefully these can help provide alternative methods of acquiring specific bonuses that are in the Dread items until you acquire this pack. You'll need to do a bit of research as my understanding is that some augments might only drop in content from specific expansion packs.​

Hope these suggestions and comments are helpful, and that you continue to enjoy the build at endgame!

Last edited:

Xorlarrin

My bad, I have been looking over so many guides lately trying to decide what to play next I must have gotten gear mixed up. The body is from Sharn. I got that so will start farming.

Thanks again for great builds.

Kalibano

Weapon critical profile section updated to include:
> breakdowns of the threat range and multiplier​
> average additional base damage %​
- for weapon crit profile (after feats/compentence bonuses applied)​
- for crit profile boosts (e.g. on 19-20 rolls)​

Hope this extra info is helpful.

Jasparius

Can someone explain the benefits of Wis over Dex in a Staff build? You dont get Stunning Fist which I assume is the number 1 reason to stack Wis.

Are there other Monk special attacks which a Staff build still uses which would see Wis being preferable?

Cheers.

A more general question on staff builds - which staves do you use from 1 to 32, and do they all need Adamantine Rituals given how easily staves break?

Kalibano

Can someone explain the benefits of Wis over Dex in a Staff build? You dont get Stunning Fist which I assume is the number 1 reason to stack Wis.

Are there other Monk special attacks which a Staff build still uses which would see Wis being preferable?

Cheers.

A more general question on staff builds - which staves do you use from 1 to 32, and do they all need Adamantine Rituals given how easily staves break?
Hey Jasparius,

Recent changes (feats, EDs, etc.) have made viable choices for both stats possible.

I personally prefer WIS for the following reasons:
- WIS trance lives in a tree (Falconry) that offers powerful attacks (bird attacks) that use WIS for their DCs (on top of other powerful choices)
- The DEX trance tree (Horizon Walker) feel less powerful, in general, for a melee character, despite some nice bits like the Mark​
- Ocean stance is my preferred option (for the amazing defensiveness), and it boosts WIS
- Available ki is influenced by Wisdom: base max ki = ten times the character's monk level, plus forty, plus five times the WIS modifier
- WIS boosts will saves, which can be very useful to resist spells that pierce/ignore your spell resistance
- Monks receive a passive Wisdom bonus to AC equal to their Wisdom modifier at level 1
- since they still need to invest in DEX for reflexes and evasion, this AC bonus is added to the DEX bonus to AC too​

There may be other reasons, but these are the ones that come to mind at the moment.

- Quivering Palm is an important monk special attack. Though it now uses highest of DEX or WIS, to me WIS is preferable because it also uses assassinate for its DCs, which can be boosted in the WIS trance tree, Falconry.

Some of my favourite staves during levelling:
Broken Oar
Chieftain's Spear (lvl 4)
Bludgeoning Bankroll (lvl 6 & 21)
Elemental Bloom (lvl 7 & 26)
Petrifying Shadow Staff (lvl 12)
Light Unending (lvl 13 & 28)
Breeze (lvl 14)
Stonework Beam (lvl 15)
Bone Crusher (lvl 18 & 26)
Stout Oak Walking Stick (lvl 20)
Epic Souleater (lvl 20)
Sireth, Spear of the Sky (lvl 23)
Thunder-Forged Alloy Quarterstaff (lvl 24-28)
The Staff of Shadow (lvl 28)

Hope this was helpful! :)

Jasparius

Hey Jasparius,

Recent changes (feats, EDs, etc.) have made viable choices for both stats possible.

I personally prefer WIS for the following reasons:
- WIS trance lives in a tree (Falconry) that offers powerful attacks (bird attacks) that use WIS for their DCs (on top of other powerful choices)
- The DEX trance tree (Horizon Walker) feel less powerful, in general, for a melee character, despite some nice bits like the Mark​
- Ocean stance is my preferred option (for the amazing defensiveness), and it boosts WIS
- Available ki is influenced by Wisdom: base max ki = ten times the character's monk level, plus forty, plus five times the WIS modifier
- WIS boosts will saves, which can be very useful to resist spells that pierce/ignore your spell resistance
- Monks receive a passive Wisdom bonus to AC equal to their Wisdom modifier at level 1
- since they still need to invest in DEX for reflexes and evasion, this AC bonus is added to the DEX bonus to AC too​

There may be other reasons, but these are the ones that come to mind at the moment.

- Quivering Palm is an important monk special attack. Though it now uses highest of DEX or WIS, to me WIS is preferable because it also uses assassinate for its DCs, which can be boosted in the WIS trance tree, Falconry.

Some of my favourite staves during levelling:
Broken Oar
Chieftain's Spear (lvl 4)
Bludgeoning Bankroll (lvl 6 & 21)
Elemental Bloom (lvl 7 & 26)
Petrifying Shadow Staff (lvl 12)
Light Unending (lvl 13 & 28)
Breeze (lvl 14)
Stonework Beam (lvl 15)
Bone Crusher (lvl 18 & 26)
Stout Oak Walking Stick (lvl 20)
Epic Souleater (lvl 20)
Sireth, Spear of the Sky (lvl 23)
Thunder-Forged Alloy Quarterstaff (lvl 24-28)
The Staff of Shadow (lvl 28)

Hope this was helpful! :)

Thanks for this
I have a few of those staves and most have Adamantine Ritual. Are there any you could get away with not?

The old ones literally break each dungeon without the ritual and even with still need repairint far too often.

PraetorPlato

Bloom to 20, followed by walking stick, followed by Sireth if you haven't or more walking stick if not, is plenty. Staff of shadows is best at cap (maybe dino bone if you're soloing for dust)

Jasparius

Bloom to 20, followed by walking stick, followed by Sireth if you haven't or more walking stick if not, is plenty. Staff of shadows is best at cap (maybe dino bone if you're soloing for dust)

For undead or other creatures which cant be crit just go for Barovian / Smiting / etc. type of staves?

Kalibano

U66 changes (updated in the forums and DDOBuilder file)
Basically no active changes required for this build.

> The key passive changes were all positive:
  • Grandmaster of Flowers
    • Drifting Lotus Epic strike now deals +30% damage
    • Lower cooldowns of inner focus and wholeness of spirit

• Melee EDs
    • Core Abilities now grant +25 Hit Points

The build remains good to go as is :) Enjoy!

Last edited: